How can I get my toddler to stop unclipping his car seat?

It is extremely important to keep your little one strapped into their car seat. So what can you do when they figure out how to get themselves out?

15 24

I didn't have to hit my child to keep her in her car seat. I don't have to hit her to teach her anything. I put the fear into her with immediately pulling over to the side of the road, getting out of the drivers seat opening her door and raising my voice with a scary face. She never did it again!

6
1 21

agree'ed! I have 2 kids 5 and 2 and never once have they tried to unbuckle themselves...I stress how important it is to keep those seat belts locked and secure. and if they did try to unbuckle or sit unsafely that I would do the same pull over....look very stern...and tell them the rash reality of what could happen if their not buckled. no hitting required!!!!!!!

5 0

Honestly I would probably spank her butt. First time would be a warning, but after that, I would spank her butt and buckle her back in. I'd much rather her fear me, than for her to unbuckle it and I didn't notice, and get in a crash. I haven't had any issues and good ol Dora has taught her we buckle our seat-belts "So we can be safe!" So my daughter insists on seat-belts, every time there is a belt that can be buckled. Can't complain about that.

6
30 10

My daughter couldn't figure out how to undo the buckle if it were backward.. So I would just twist is before buckling so the button is on the bottom and harder to undo.

6
1 19

Good idea, I will try that one, I'm not sure if it works back to front though. You know how the adult ones only go in one way.

34 2

Buy a britax? I know they are pricey but it is all I have ever had other than an infant seat when my daughter was first born. Britax buckles are tight. I taught my kids how to undo them due to the fact of kids being trapped in cars, and I worried when others took them and wanted them to be able to get out if need be. My kids were not physically strong enough until much older to undo the buckles. My daughter was 5 and a half and my son just got it this summer, he is 4 and a half and stronger than my daughter. But they know they can't unbuckle while the car is on. Even in parking lots, etc. They unbuckle once we are in the driveway. Honestly I think some of the suggestions about turning the buckles and covering them are dangerous. Any altering of the car seat can make it ineffective in an accident. Only items approved the maker of your car seat should be used. Now if they make something, then great otherwise I would teach the child the dangers of it and make sure you stop the car every-time it happens and administer consequences immediately. Or invest in a different seat they can't undo, try them in the store first. See if he can get out of it in the store, the store ones are pretty broken in so you should easily be able to tell.

4
24 19

I don't think it matters too much on the brand. I do appreciate the 2nd half of your post. As a parent we have to insist that the buckles are fastened. There needs to be a consequence for them unbuckling them.

5 36

my lo has been able to escape most straps since before he hit 1. What we had to do was try to teach him how dangerous it was to get out of his car seat

3
22 16

my twin boys use to do the same thing. oh it drove me crazy, i would have to pull over to buckle them back up 3 to 5 times a day. i took a couple of old socks cut a small hole in the toe end and put the metal part of the buckle through it. then safety pined the the other end to the strap so the button to unbuckle was covered up. now the boys are almost 4 and i have no issues with it.

3
9 11

The best thing is to keep them in a 5 point harness as long as possible! They make carseats/boosters that have a 5 point harness that goes to 80 lbs plus, then they can be converted to a regular buckle booster. By the time they are larger sized you will be able to explain and they will better understand why and how to sit with there seatbelts on. I work at Public Health with a carseat installer/expert. Every time I buy a new carseat I ask for her advice and help with installation. Car seat safety is so impartant. It is much more difficult to push the buttons on the 5 point harness' then a regular seat belt. They can cost a bit more and may be a bit more inconvient at times but for the safety of kids I think its worth it to keep them in the safest seat for them. I have the nice 5 point harness sets in our cars then have just a buckle booster for days with the grandparents so I can keep my 5 point in our car correctly installed and don't have to take it out for just day trips with families.

1
9 11

If they are able to unbuckle the 5 point harness I agree with trying another seat my son is 4 and cannot undo his evenflo seat. Also teaching safety is important- Dora says "seatbelts so we can be safe" and so do most other cartoons so if you watch a cartoon and see them put on there seatbelts, stop and explain the lesson to your child, making sure they caught the lesson. :)

87 12

My daughter started unbuckling herself a few times when she was 2. I explained it was dangerous so she stopped unbuckling herself and started unbuckling her baby brother. So I fussed at her and explained how her actions could kill her baby brother. She didn't do it again and he never even tried. Use your words, you don't have to hit children. No one ever learned anything good being hit.

1
2 6

When my son unbuckled himself the first time, I scold him, telling him of the dangers. The second time, I spanked (not hit, there IS a difference). I'd rather cause him a little tears and keep him safe, than to shed tears if he is hurt, or worse, in an accident because I choose to sparespare the rod.

0 0

is there any item to buy to keep them from unbuckling the chest strap and taking arms out? So worried been thinking of using zip ties . Have to keep her arms where they ate supose tobe.

0
4 3

There is a great product called www.beltlock.ie might be worth checking it out?

0
0 0

Well my son is 4Yrsold now and he has been doing this off and on from the age of about 2, and he is a tiny little man and still insists on wiggling his way out without unbuckling despite pulling over and rebuckling him back up. I was told that by pulling off to rebuckle him is giving him attention that he wants and thats why they do it,so i was told NOT to say anything,do anything and don't make eye contact,just buckle them up and walk away,and explain later about the safety part of it, It has worked for some time but he gets off track. So when i had my second son(who is 2 now and doesn't have those intentions) i bought a brand new seat for him the Evenflo with the sliding harness(although its the same seat) i have given that one to my 4 yr old and so far he has not been able to get out of it (thank goodness!)... so now i feel he is much safer i have no worries and hope that it stays that way!..so thank you for this question..i now feel that i am not alone,i have asked about this to many people and not much advice i have been given..

0
7 20

My son is 3 years 3 months old. I can't remember exactly when he stated getting his arms out of the straps, never "unbuckled" anything but would put the straps behind his arms (even with the straps so tight i dont know HOW he manages) I also "spank" or have "spanked" him for it after all else fails, i see a lot getting offended saying "Hit" where there IS a difference.....nothing wrong with an old fashioned spanking (though its a tough debate for many, so be it) anyways, i dont even spank much when it comes to the car seat situation, numerous times i've pulled over when it was safe if he refused to do it, he'll STILL put the straps behind his arms but generally it takes once or twice of kindly telling him to please put them back on, and after explaining how dangerous it is to NOT have them on.

0
7 20

and yes, i TELL him to please to it, not ASK.....when it comes to safety, no need to give room for toddler arguments to ask them to do it, they NEED to. Hope everyone else's solutions work as well =) cant ever be too safe with precious cargo!

1 0

This is something that I have struggled with, with my son. We went through 3 car seats because he continued to unbuckle it, despite pulling over to the side of the road, repeatedly telling him it was unsafe. Our latest car seat is a Spongebob car seat. It is larger with cup holders. We emphasized that it is a big boy seat. If he continued to unbuckle it, we were going to have to switch over to a baby seat again. Now, periodically he will unbuckle it, but it doesn't seem as frequent as it once was. We still pull over and get him to buckle it up.

0
0 1

My daughter can wiggle her arms out of the straps then free herself totally by standing up.. I've tried everything to keep her in there but nothing seems to work. I've talked to her, put her in time out, shouted at her but seriously nothing is working.. My daughter is almost 2 but is the size of a 5 months old so she still sits in the rear facing infant carseat. Please help because I've run out of ideas and even though I tighten the straps until there's no more room, she gets out by the time I sit in the driver's seat. HELP!

0
16 79

My eldest discovered very quickly about his car seat. Thankfully, that car seat was a reversable one and I had had to buy another car seat for baby number 2, again reversable but that wasn't necessary. I just put toddler number 1 in baby nnumber 2's seat and vice versa. Then it was ME having trouble unlocking the seat belt. NOW, all but number 4 are in regular seat belts and number 4 is not interested in undoing his because it means he's going somewhere. But if they don't have their seatbelts on by the time Ive reversed up our very steep driveway, the car comes to a very quick stop - they then move quick smart to get them on. It is hard for them when the baby seat isn't in the car because the two rear side passenger belts are the 'safety' ones that won't move on a slope so they have two chances. One when they get into the car and once at the top of the drive while I make sure no traffic is coming. Number 4 is really too big for his baby seat so I'll be buying a new booster seat and at the same time two of those three point (?) harnesses, one for him and one for number three who gets stuck with the lap-belt on the school run if the car seat is still in place. I also say that if I get caught with them not having seatbelts on then the police will take all my money by giving me a fine and that means NO treats whatsoever for the rest of the year :-)

0
63 10

The best thing I found was get a piece of fabric 2 by 2 or whatever will cover the clip and attach velcro on the ends then you just fasten it with velcro behind the clip that way no worry if there was an acciden. The other thing i did was take some denim and just covered the part you squeezed with it. The fabricis too tough for my little one to squeeze through and open but mot for me. Hope that helps!

0
1 19

My 3 year old can contort her body to wriggle up and out of her seat still done up. I bought a Houdini Stop Chest Clip which impedes her ability to get out sometimes. But the only way to make her want to sit in her seat is to bribe her with chocolate frogs. It worked 90% of the time. I must buy some more as she started doing it again ALL the time.

0
4 1

My LO started getting out of the top buckle whe she was about 18mt and it scared me to death. Even if I stopped and rebuckled it and pulled it as tight as I could she was back out again in 5 min!! I took a strap that was made to hold my purse on to the stroller handle. I attach it above the top strap and she can't undo that one, therefore she can't undo the car seat strap. It has been such a relief!!

0