How can I go to back to school when I have a 2 year old child?

Going to school with a toddler at home may be difficult, but some moms are able to do it. Any advice on handling school while still raising a young child?

3 6

I have a 2 year old, work full time, and go to school...and I do this alone. When its homework time my daughter sits next to me and does her "homework". (coloring) It is hard and exhausting, but well worth it when you accomplish your goals not only for yourself but also your child.

4
23 0

I am testifying on how Dr upesa help me to bring back my ex-husband who left me 2 months ago i got his email on the internet on an article how he had help so many people,so i emailed the Dr and tell my problems to him and after that day he gave me assurance of 4days,to my greatest surprise my husband came back to me in third day of contacting him,i want to say a very big thank you to upesalovetemple@gmail.com. for all his help..

14 11

Hi,
Im 26 and have three kids (ages 11, 8 &2.5) and plan on going to school in Oct. I have taken classes at our local community college before and I mostly took online classes. I takes a lot of determination to do online classes but it can be done. The school that Im going to in Oct. does not have that option. So while my older kids are in school and in there after school program, I will be sending my little one to a daycare. I think it will be good for her to be with other children. It will be hard but think of it as a little break. I need a break from my kids every now and again and Im sure they need a break from me sometimes. :) Anywho, best of luck to you, and make sure you remember that you CAN do it!!!!!

3
7 23

All I can say is that you would be amazed at what you are capable of! Yes it will be hard, and there will be long days, but you can do it. Don't ask me how, you just will.

I am speaking from experience after finishing my bachelors degree, while working full-time, and a single mum. I moved 3 times, got divorced and sold a house. Women are exceptional - and you are no different!!

Go for it!!!

2
19 0

If you put your child in all day, daycare, you are basically free to do all sorts of things. Why not. But you might want to think about your child needing more from you than just "homework time". "Homework time" and 2yrs old.....how scary is that. poor kid.

6 0

Take my advice please go now !!! While your child is small and does not have his/her own homework that they may may need help with. I have a 9 and 11 yo and I am a full time student as well , and even though one of my kids is more independent than the other it still can be a bit much when we are al working on H.W. May I suggest putting your child on a schedule that will work with your school/study time. It will be difficult but so rewarding. Good Luck to You

2
14 24

I have a 2 year old, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old. I also have a very demanding job in the Defense Department. And I'm going to school to get my Master's degree. The key is support, both mental and physical. I'm surrounded by people who help with my kids and encourage me to get things done. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Keep telling yourself that.

2
32 3

Was in the same situation when my youngest was almost 2 years. It's much harder to focus when they get older actually because they are louder. LOL Online or hybrid classes can help you to achieve your dreams without having to arrange babysitting several days a week for "class" time. Check your school to see what they offer. As your kids get bigger (I had a 5 year old when I started too), sometimes some of the cool stuff you learn they will find awesome. My microbiology teacher let my kids try the "germ glow" lab experiment & look through the microscopes :)

Good luck to you! You'll do it!
Holly

1
103 88

My oldest son was 21 months old when I started my associate's degree. I moved 4 times, got divorced, got remarried, gained a step-daughter, dealt with my current husbands ex and my ex, going to court several times, two deployments (my hubby's in the Air Force), 4 grandparents' deaths, and was pregnant and gave birth twice while I was doing my associate's degree, working full time, doing an externship (working 18 hour days and only getting paid for 9 hours) and doing my bachelor's degree. I also did accelerated programs for both of my degrees and was done with them in a little over 3 years with 4 kids. I was also in the Honors programs with each degree and never had a GPA lower than 3.8. After completing my bachelor's I took 3 years off to take care of my newest babies and focus on them. Then last year when my youngest was 3, I decided to go back for my master's since they were a little older. About a month after I started my master's my doctor found an abnormality in my spinal cord. After various tests, hospital stays between 3 and 5 days, and all while maintaining my 4.0 GPA, my doctors finally figured out that it wasn't cancer and it wasn't MS. It was something called a cavernous malformation that was cutting off the circulation from right underneath my chest all the way down to my toes. I could barely walk by the time they did the surgery. They did the surgery, they removed the CM and the next day I was doing my class with my instructor and my classmates online and taking notes. My doctors and nurses thought I was crazy but when you're paying for your education on your own and when it's really important to you, you do what you have to do. I am telling you now though that you have to be sure that this is something you want to do. It is very grueling, but to me it is so worth it. My master's program was also an accelerated program, I had 10 page papers due every week, I did a 40 slide slide show with notes, research, citations, etc, in 6 weeks, I did a 26 page research report in 6 weeks, we had group projects (which are very trying) every 4 weeks. It's tough but it's totally worth it. I did all of this while home-schooling my children, taking care of the home, dealing with my hubby working 15 hour days and weekends, dealing with him being gone for 8 weeks, dealing with my mother's death, etc. and all of this happened in 11 months. After my surgery, the meds they had me on made me really groggy and the only class that I got a B in was that class. My overall GPA was a 3.84 so I am still able to go on to get my doctorate and I am planning on starting that in September. The only reason I am taking a year off is to finish healing. I am still in excruciating pain and the doctors can't tell me when I will get my feeling back because what happened to me only happens in .05 % of the population of the world. There just aren't enough statistics. I can't wait to start my doctorate in education though and I can't wait to be done with it so that I can start working. My goal is to teach online so that I can stay home with my children and home school them for a little while. And since my husband is in the Air Force and we are constantly moving and he is constantly coming and going, having a job where I can teach online is perfect for me and my family right now. Eventually I would like to teach at a University but right now I would not be able to stay there any longer than 2 years and I don't think that would be fair to them.

1
103 88

I should have also said that my kids are now 9, 8, 5, and 4 so by the time I am done with my doctorate (if I get it done in the time that I want to) they will be 13, 12, 9, and 8 so I will be done before they start college and hopefully I will be able to send them to college and hopefully they will want to go. :) Good luck!

1

I am 15 years old, I had a baby at a young age and she is now 18 months. I'm not old enough to get a job right now but I really want to go back to school. I have no money to pay for a babysitter. Also I am a single mom... I don't know what to do.

0
105 5

Well, I have a 2 year old and 5 year old and I work 40 + hours a week and go to school. I take classes online. I have my girls play or sit next to me and do some projects, like drawing or something and they pretended like they were doing homework like mommy. Like Katie said it is hard sometimes and exhausting, but it is well worth it at the end when you accomplish it and your child sees you do it and is right there with you when you do it.

0
275 0

Take your classes online! I am raising an 19 month old and working full time while going to school! I only take two classes online a semester but I am slowly but surely getting through it. I had my daughter the first week of classes the semester I returned back to school after being on academic probation. It was a lot of pressure but I know that if I can accomplish that and make good grades, anyone can!

You can do this! There is always a way.

0
1 0

Well I was a single mom I had a 3 yearold 4 year old and 5 year old I did what I had to do to make a better life,your allowed to have your time,its not easy to do but it is possible many mothers go back to school, when you study get someone to help with babysitting but spend time when you have it with child,or you can wait a few years 2 year olds are stuck to your apron and will feel insecure, but make time for the baby.Quality time

0
64 0

I was newly married, had a 7 year old daughter and worked full-time when I wanted to go back to school. The best option for me was online schooling. I could attend class on my schedule. I didn't have to travel for a class. I could still participate in my daughter's activities and be an attentive wife and mother. It is tough to take online classes. You need to be disciplined and determined. But it is a lot easier in the long run in my opinion.

0
3 6

We have a 4 year old and a 21 month old. When I first started school our 4 year old was about a year and 4 months and I got pregnant with our youngest 21 months ago, so I was pregnant throughout 9 months of my schooling. I have done a lot of homework or studying for tests with our oldest sitting on my head or climbing on me and have managed to stay on the Dean's List or Honor Student each quarter. Adding the 2nd child has made things more interesting but I would not change it for anything. I love my little boys and my husband and I want us to have a bit more cushier life then we have now, since hubby is the only one working.
When our oldest was younger he would work on his "homework" as well and get out his little VTech laptop game, or his clipboard with computer paper and draw shapes and letters (to the best of his ability) and play learning games or he would go on his computer and play on Zoodles or Nick Jr and play all kinds of learning games. At about 2 1/2 he was able to navigate the computer on his own, I just put the various icons on the computer's desktop for him of approved sites and he would play while I did my homework. It allowed him to learn as well and now he is very good on the computer, he can navigate it very well.
I encourage your to try to go to school, honestly, it is not difficult and it shows your child that you, too, learn new things everyday and shows them that you have a great sense of responsibility, not just in them but for yourself.

Good luck to you.

~Lisa

0
9 34

Seeing mom or dad going back to school is a great mental push for lots of children, they see this behavior and want to emanate it. As a mom who works, goes to school, has two kids, one with special needs, IT IS TOUGH! But just like when I gave birth to them, the struggles soon subside and you realize why you are doing it and what the reward will be. Always talk about it, the why, the process and the goal. Help them to understand what the motivation is and how they can help.

0
1 1

I have been doing it for the past year and I will always encourage anyone to do it. Where there is a will there will be a way. I am a single mom of a 5 year old and work full time, grad school and no support. It is very hard, but nothing in life that's worth it is easy. I am 30 and just did not want to be doing it while I was 40 or 50. School is so flexible, with online classes and all hours of the day and night schedules. She is in kindergarten and I pick her up 4 days a week, I go to school one day doing 2 classes and one online, that is full time in grad school. On that day the school bus drops her off and the baby sitter gets her until I finish school. At $4 hourly it cost me $20 a week for the sitter, but I am able to add $10000 to my pay check just for earning my Masters. Every body situation is different, but it can be done.

0
2 12

i also had a situation when my daughter was just 2months old, i needed to get back to my language schl.it was a very hard decsion for me , to leave my baby with a baby sitter, but God so kind i had one that was already taken care of my 1yr 8month daughter, at first i was so relauctant, after listening to so many advices aganist it. but i took my stand i went ahead , and the end i was happy that i did. then again it all depends one determinations.

0
10 20

I'm a mom that has gone back to school recently and have two young children, a 2 year old and a 18 month old. I am a single parent and it is very hard. I have the help of my mom, but with that it is hard as well. I feel that it can be done with the right support system backing you up. Recently I found myself extremely tired cause I split my time between school, work, kids, and still taking care of my household. And not only that, trying to get my two year old fully potty trained at school so that she can tell them when she has to go so she can move on to the pre-k class at her daycare and help her with homework, while running after my 18 month old that is very small and has some medical issues. But like I said, it is very important to have a strong support system backing you if you are going to go back to school.

0
3 0

I am going to school online at University of Phoenix, and am more than half way through with my Bachelors. I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and a newborn. It can be very difficult at times but my husband and I take turns watching them so we can do our homework, or I work on mine during the kids' naps.

0
9 40

me and my husband are both fulltime student and have a 2 year old. to be very blunt........... if you are stressed now, dont add school into the mix. school is a great experience yes, can open doors for you to a new life for you and your child, but in order to get there it takes alot of TIME and WORK. make sure that you have not only the funds, but also have the support you need before you offically enroll. my other suggestion is ONLINE COURSES....they may make your daycare bill a little bit more tolerable.

0
1 18

You can do it, I have a three year old, work full time and I'm in a doctoral program, my husband is finishing up his undergraduate degree as well. It is not easy to coordinate schedules so one of us is home when the other is in class but we make it work. It is doable with support and assistance, it's easier now, when the kids are older & involved in activities it's a lot harder to coordinate schedules & to try & not miss something. Good luck!

0
67 63

I just finished my BA at 36 and started when #1 was 1y3m and I was 5m pregnant with #2. I also work full time. I will continue to work full time and start my MA in September 2012. If I can do it anyone can! If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

0
3 27

I have been doing this since 2008 when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter...I had my daughter during Summer break and in 2010 found out I was pregnant with my son. Had him the beginning of my 2011 Fall Semester (actually, during the 3rd day of classes). I have taken a lot of online courses through my college so I can still spend time with my children and hubby can work to support us. When I go this coming Fall semester it will be my first time back on campus since 2010. Hubby will stay at home and watch the kids while I am in classes. And I have worked my school schedule so that I only take classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have been doing this for several years and it has worked out. I have had good points and bad points but I keep telling myself I'm doing it for my kids :D

0
1 13

Hi
I'm 35 and i have 5 kids. Their age ranges between 10 yrs and 13 mths. I'm a working mother and currently in the midst of doing my part-time degree which is already in my third year. We have no domestic helper so its only my husband and I. Before starting on your school, ensure that you have discussed with your partner on the support that you'll need. It not only requires physical support in running errands etc but also moral support. Stress could pile up especially when sudden attention is demanded from you; attention to the child's needs, our own school works, and partner's needs. It takes lots of determination, perseverance and commitments. I wish you all the best in your embarkation to continue in your learning journey. Remember, "YOU can do it!".

0
16 28

I started school when my son was 4 and I'm not going to lie, but it was difficult to manage a child and homework. I think that time management plays a big role in going to school and having children. I now have a 15 month old and the only time I can really get any homework done is when she is napping or when my husband is home. Husbands or boyfriends should also help you along the way. Or maybe having a family member helping out while you are doing homework. My father would look after my son when I needed to get any homework done when he was little.

0
147 31

You can do it but you really have to be driven to do it. I have faith in you.

0
8 39

Many schools now days have child development daycare centers run by students (with supervision) . I would suggest looking into that.

0
3 1

One class at a time, and you'll be glad you did.

0
67 63

So true, I plugged away one class at a time and did it.

9 9

Hi,
My son is 2years, and i am in school, and work full time. i have a very supportive husband and an experienced house-help, and they both make my baby very comfortable. I try to create time for my family between my very busy schedule. you can also take the baby to a daycare and be the one to pick him/her to assure him of your love. goodluck

0
0 6

You just DO! I had to work around my boys needs. I started with one child and no degree. Between the births of my three other children I went to school. My first degree was on a campus but both my Master's were done online at UMUC. I would get up at night to study when they were sleeping. I have one memory of nursing a baby while typing a paper. How do you do it? You just do. You put one foot in front of the other and you do it. It isn't easy but life isn't either.

0
15 0

I have 5 kids at home (16,6,5,3, &1) and I am a WAHM and I go to school full time. I do go online but trust me when I say that its real work and you have to carve out time. I would suggest since you have one look into the daycare options at your local community college or you can choice to go online. I try to do as much work after bedtime and before they get up. I also have to sit through 2 hour long seminars during the week and my 16 year old and a movie usually keeps them busy.

Good luck

0
1 16

I am working on my MFA (online), and have been since I was pregnant with my 3 yr old. I now also have a 17 month old, and it gets very hard at times, but just know it will be worth it in the end. When my boys go to bed, I am in my studio until early morning, sometimes only sleeping a few hours, then after they leave for preschool/daycare, and I'm back at it again. It takes a lot away from having a "simple" life, but I'm doing it all for their future.
I think if you want to really do this, you can! It will be tough at times, but hang in there-it won't be forever!! Take up family/friends offers for help, and go for it! Good luck!

0
0 0

I just completed my bachelor's degree in early childhood education. I finished my general education courses part-time and online and in the evening from the time my first child was 5 months to 2 years of age. I worked full-time in a daycare and was able to bring him along with me. When my second child was born, I was about to quit my job to begin the education program full-time. I started classes when my baby was three months and my oldest was 27 months. I also had some family support: my husband and parents. My in-laws were of the greatest help. They kept the boys while I was in school. The biggest thing is to stay organized and on top of school work because life with babies is unpredictable. Also, accepting less than perfect housekeeping is a must. I graduated in May with a 3.83 GPA. It IS possible. This is coming from a former party girl that enjoyed her early twenties a little too much. My children were the ultimate motivation. I just had my first and only job interview today for the upcoming school year. Crossing my fingers and toes that I get it!

0
2 12

I am going to school online, work full time and have a two and nine year old. It can be done but a support network and a lot of determination it can be done. I am living proof I am going back after over 10 years and just got my AA and am working towards a BA in Criminal Justice and a minor in psyc. Just look at your little guy every time you want to give up and you know why your doing it! Granted online is not easy for me it works cause I go to class when it fits for me.

0
50 0

I'm actually attending school right now and I have a 3.5 yr old and a 14 months old. It's hard work going to school when you have children, but if it is what you really want to do. Do it, the hard work will be worth the reward and the life lesson it will teach your children.

0
32 37

I have a 6 year old boy with ADD and a 2 1/2 year old girl going on 25 plus run a daycare out of my home. I'm taking my ECE at the same time. I do all my studying, assignments and exams after the kids go to bed at 7:30 or during naptimes. Lots of support from family and friends for those really frazzled times. Good luck...you CAN do this! xo

0
11 34

I study online and have a 18 m.o daughter. I am doing my Bachelor of Teaching degree, the first year I was pregnant, had a break last year when I had my girl (she was born in January) and am back into it this year for my second year. It's hard work, even doing it online, but it's managable. I just keep looking at the big picture - I'm doing this for my daughter (and any future children), knowing that I will be around for her in school holidays etc. doing an awesome job that I love makes it all worth while.

0
8 18

I had 2 years left to obtain my Bachelor's degree when my daughter was born. I am a single mom and have been since day one. I went to school full time from Aug 2009 (daughter 6 months) through May 2011 (daughter 2 yrs, 3 months). I got student loans to help pay the bills. While I have to pay them back (at a VERY low interest), I feel it was totally worth it. It was challenging, but, I have a great support system of family & friends. You can do anything you set your mind to. You must believe it to see it!!! Best of luck!

0
0 4

It can be very difficult but one of the things that has helped me is finding someone to babysit my kids even if I'm home so I can have a slotted school work time. I have 2 children 3.5 and almost 2 years old. I attend National Univ and am able to take all my classes online and they follow a month to month system so I take one class every 4 weeks. It works better for me than going to a school on a traditional semester schedule because I can focus on 1 course at a time and don't have to worry about finding child care so I can go to class. I also like someone else said set my kids up with some worksheets to color or put on their favorite movie so I can get some work done.

0
25 15

I have four children ages 7, 6, 3 and 17 months. I went back to school when my youngest was 6 weeks old. I attend Kaplan University ONLINE! I love it and there are many programs to offer and each class is 8 weeks long. For 1 hour a week there is a live seminar in which you are supposed to attend. I have been on the Dean's list since I started and I am a stay-at-home mom. I am so happy I chose to go online. Good luck on what ever you choose to do and always remember YOU CAN DO IT!

0
4 6

I went back to school when my kids were 5, 2 and 6 months. I graduated this past December (my kids were 7, 4 and 2) with a Bachelor's in English and a minor in Sociology, and a 4.0 in my classes (at least the ones I took after I went back...not so much if you include the ones that I took way back when I started, just after high school). Anyway, I got pregnant about a week before I graduated and I'm due on August 30th. I will be starting my Master's degree (through an online program this time) in January, and since I got pregnant I've been taking the prerequisites that I need for the program and working part time as a tutor. It's been very stressful, but I have never been as proud of myself as I was when I walked out of my last class before I graduated. Because my kids were older (and more demanding of actual attention) when I started, I limited my homework time to while they were sleeping or when my husband was home--trying to concentrate on homework generally just led to me getting frustrated and upset with the kids, which wasn't fair to them. As a side-note, the online classes that I've taken, though convenient, were considerably more intense and time consuming than regular classes. It's definitely something to consider when you set up your schedule. Keep a positive attitude and focus on your goal. It's incredibly rewarding and worth the effort and sacrifice.

0