How can I stay productive at home with my kids?

It can be hard to get anything done when you are home with your kids. What are some suggestions for staying productive and looking after your kids while you are at home?

6 1

I only have one so it is easy to just get him to do what I am doing, pull out the kitchen set while I clean the kitchen or cook, "fold" his playclothes, while I am folding laundry - who cares if it means they are shoved into the drawer all a mess, I hang anything I care about. I get him to color or craft while I study. But it is always a struggle. They never really have the attention span that I need to finish a job. Mostly I tell him that if he wants to hang around with me he has to do what I am doing and otherwise he needs to entertain himself with his toys. It gets better around three, but even at five my son follows me around. Sometimes it has helped if he us being really demanding of my attention if I stop and play with him for a bit, I just explain that I will play for half an hour but then he needs to let me get something done, sometimes that is what my son needs, just to know that he is as important as the chores and then he will give me space. That doesn't always work for me either though! If you do figure out the magic solution (you know besides duct taping them to a wall). Make sure you share it lol

5
96 4

Here's a tip: Your child is with you. He knows you love him, and that you are there for him. You are teaching him life skills by showing him what you do to take care of the house and the people in it. He also needs to learn to play by himself. Preschool, nursery and other play groups (where you can go do your thing for a few hours) is a great way to refocus him/her, learn new skills and that MOM or DAD will be there when they get home. A good balance. Don't forget that each age is special and you need to be mostly engaged with them through each age, not just "present" in the room while you keep one eye on them. They absorb their early learning through their parents, as well as learning to treat others the way you treat them. It seems like you are doing a great job! :) Pat Nickerson (ECE)

4 0

baby gates..baby gates..baby gates..No one can get anything done with a child under foot taking out what you have put back. It also teaches a child to learn to play by themselves for a little bit. As long as its not ALL DAY.

4
15 9

Well a part of me feels like, I should be spending time with my daughter because soon she will not want to spend time with me and will want to do her own thing. plus and even though I loathe a messy house, no matter how much I clear up, it is always a mess again pretty soon.
But obviously housework still goes on so I get her toys out, eg buidling blocks or whatever she loves doing at the moment and sit then pop to put the washing on and then back again. or when i am getting herr lunch ready I will sort the kitchen or wash up a few bits. I dont get loads done but it keeps things going. Also if she is in the bath, she loves to play so I am in there talking to her but also maybe cleaning the loo!

2
96 4

Housework never stops, but MOMS need a break. If I was to do it over again, I would: not have so many things to straighten...streamline the cloths, knick nacks, etc.. and I would kick the kids to grandma's or neighbors while I did a whole house cleanup on Saturdays, and have less company and parents to see it all! It's your house, don't let other judge your job. Be happy, and don't stress the small stuff. June Cleaver on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER was a FICTITIOUS woman! I learned to put up gates with toys in the living room and they weren't allowed free access to the whole house during times when I needed to cook or focus partly on something else. Teachers to this (I was one of them) You set boundaries, and remember ladies....they may live there, but it's NEVER a DEMOCRACY....school isn't either. I told my students this. They were shocked. :) p.s. TIP: smile more, and a race to clean something up with reward points on a chart. Works in school, too, but don't forget those organizing bins and teaching moments on organization with lots of help without screaming sessions to get it done. Each day should end with a general cleanup of about 15 minutes, or a privilege lost the next day.

0 0

I have three lil ones a 2yr od and twins that are 1 we have a playroom that we put up a baby gate and we hang out in there thats where we put on movies Mommy has a table set up for laptop and couponing stuff to work on while they watch their movies or play with their toys before nap time we pick up the toys and during naps mom does the laundry and puts away the clean dishes and gets the house picked back up really a routine is so the way to go we also have time for mom and kids to play outside if the weather permits

2
96 4

What to say? Seems like this plan works. GOOD for you! Don't forget MOMMY needs her time, also, without the kids. We need to refresh and de-stress from the stress of keeping it all together. TIP: I would not take my kids food shopping while they were little. Good time to get away, and it's really overwhelming for little kids in supermarkets. Besides, to try to keep them quiet, we often let them make awful food decisions and end up buying way more than we can afford. We deserve that time ourselves. :) Ever hear kids crying in supermarkets? It's either nap time, lunchtime or suppertime, and they are letting everyone know it. I once parked my cart full of groceries and took my son in a full blown temper tantrum out of the store. That was the ballgame for him >He ended up staying home for quite a while. They both did. TOO young to make food decisions, anyway. :) Pat Nickerson (ECE) Find me on Facebook in Portsmouth, NH

12 0

How old are your kids?

0
123 3

While I don't work at home, when I've to do some work, I keep her occupied with different stations of activities, which I estimate can occupy for at least 75% of the time I'm working on something.. hope that helps!

0
9 0

I do my workouts at home. My 5 yr old likes to try and do them too while I do them. I am a coach working for Beachbody and do Brazil Butt Lift workouts. We both get in the floor to do situps and pushups (it's pretty funny). But it keeps him busy while Mommy does her "homework" w work!

0
10 0

When I cook, I allow my 5 year old to stand in a chair (at a safe distance) and watch. I allow her to break eggs or stir things. Today she wanted to flip and egg, so I took the pan off the stove and made sure she realized that it was hot and helped her flip the egg. She did a great job, and then we ate. My 1 year old was in his playpen at the time, playing alone. When I am feeding him in the mornings, he likes me to do his flash cards for "Your Baby Can Read". I don't know if they are teaching him to read or not, but he enjoys it, and can say Turtle when he sees only the word. In the morning when I am trying to make myself a hot cuppa something, he has no problem watching a Baby Can Read video, but as soon as that's over he's ready to get in his high chair to eat. My little girl, at age 5, helps me sometimes to load or unload the dishwasher. The other day, she thought it was fun to wash down the little dirty handprints and smudges on the hall walls, and she did a great job!

0
0 0

How do u deal with the husband, who comes home and points out stuff u didn't get to?

0
737 0

It depends on the age of the child. When my daughter was in kindergarden, I was in school myself, so we did homework together. She did her math or phonics, or whatever, I took clarinets and saxophones apart and put them back together.

0
1 8

I have two daughters 11 and 8 years old. And automatically weekend is block for family days. Since my job is more than 30% traveling, I need to spend much time during weekend such as going to swimming pool, book store and mall. But while I am not travel, I drive my daughter to school and check their lesson and before sleep we pray together with holding our hand. I hope in the future my daughter will have sweet memory with our relationship. What I did, during travel is at the night time have reflection what I did with my kids and how I can improve it eq; my relationship with them.

0
44 0

Having kids at home is such a joy! It's also, in reality, a hijack to the best laid plans. How to work around this depends largely on the ages of your children. When they are infants you are really limited to nap times and you need to just be okay with the fact that on some levels your productivity will go down when you are home with babies. As they get older and a little more self sufficient there will be more time for your productivity. When they can amuse themselves for a little bit your time becomes more flexible and then when they are actually old enough to be engaged in your activities your time becomes even more able to be appropriated to productive endeavors. Be kind to yourself and adjust your demands of You to be somewhat realistic in light of this beautiful little life you are nurturing.

0
2 0

I have 2 boys 7 and 12 in school and a one year old. I am a stay at home mom. I feel like there are not enough hours in the day!!! My 1 year old is very good but I feel like I still can't get alot done. I feel like I need a playpen in every room!! Then, when I do stuff, I feel like I should be playing with him. How much time do you stay at home moms PLAY with your kids in a day?

0
96 4

What is your idea of "productive"? Taking care of those children is a HUGE job! Staying at home make you a lucky woman. I was able to stay home because: my husband worked 2nd shift and often worked a lot of overtime, my parents lived far away, we couldn t afford daycare, I had a great neighbor friend who looked in on them when I worked periodically outside the home, and I had my own home day care. My suggestions: find out what you love and do that at least 1 to 2 hours a day 2x a day. I loved to sew, garden, read, volunteer for the church and it's fair (where I made small things and sold, as well), took online classes, networked with others (but now on the computer, this is easier) and when I REALLY needed to get away by myself, I learned how to care for horses and had the opportunity to clean stalls out 2-3 times a week and get FREE horseback riding. :) TO DO OVER? I should have pursued my artistic abilities sooner so I wouldn't have to wait until now...I am 56 and just now getting serious about the attention my paintings and photos are getting. Have fun, lucky woman! Pat Nickerson (ECE)

0
2 0

I never had gates like they do nowadays but I did always have a play-yard for the kids and I would get up early in the morning and take a shower before they woke up. It meant me getting up real early but I did what I had to do. Then I would make breakfast and get them up for a hot breakfast. They got dressed, I brushed their teeth and put them in a playyard with toys and they played with toys while I cleaned. I would walk by to put laundry away and would talk to them as I passed. Sometimes it was just a rub on the head or I bent down and kissed them. They learned to play independently and I was able to do my chores. When the house was cleaned, beds were made, I then took them out of the playyard and played with them. When it was time for lunch, I put them in a highchair away from the stove and they saw me while I cooked their lunch. the same for dinner. They felt like they were a part of it but not closeby where they could get burned. Nowadays, parents are so overwhelmed because their child is running all over and getting underfoot. Put them in a playyard in the living room so they can see you go from room to room as you clean and they will feel that you are close by. When they got to be about 2 years old, we did their bed together. They liked pulling on the covers on one side. When they went back in the playyard so I could finish, they felt good to have helped.