How can you get over a runny nose faster?

Everyone gets a runny nose at least a few times a year. It can be very annoying for a mom with lots to do or a child who has to go to school. What remedies do you have to get over a runny nose quickly?

1 2

Drinking hot water every half hour works really well for me. Mucus is there to surround toxins in your body and carry them out. If you are at all dehydrated then the mucus becomes thick and sticky. Drinking hot water hydrates you and allows the mucus to do it's job thereby getting rid of the runny nose faster. Also it's completely harmless and suprisingly it starts tasting really good.

8
18 82

My 3yo has been sick most of his life with constant ear infections, pink eye, respiratory infections, sinus problems, acid reflux, cleft palate, etc. He would go to day care and, within a couple of days, I would have to take him to the doctor for pink eye or some other kind of icky green runny nose. It would eventually turn into a fully blown something like the flu or infection that would keep him out of school. Being a single mom, I had actually lost jobs because my son had been sick and there was no one else to care for him...this was a really big deal!

Very recently, I was introduced to doTERRA essential oils. I wouldn't have believed they worked if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. They have an essential oil blend called "OnGuard," which is basically an all-natural antibiotic that clears the body of toxins without killing off good bacteria necessary for health. For the last couple months, I have rubbed some on the bottom of his feet before bed. (It travels through his body so quickly that, as soon as I put it on his feet, I can smell it on his breath!) He's not had so much as a runny nose in the last two months (and our weather has been 85 one day and 40 the next!

(I've been using on myself with the same results: no sickness...not even a runny nose or sinus problems!)

8
0 0

i looked this up. it doesnt say anything about use on the body, only on countertops and such. where did you hear to put it on your childs feet? also, how old should they be before you use it on them? its $43, so how long does one bottle last? was there a store you bought it at, or did you have to get it online? sorry for all the ?'s, but i am really interested in this! thanks!

1 8

i remove all dairy and sugar from my daugher's diet (mine too when i'm sick) until shes better.
i emphatically believe this is the reason her colds last 1 to 2 days.

5
20 18

I honestly find that I don't get so ill these days since having children. Tho I definitely miss those days of feeling sorry for myself and just living in bed and resting with a stack of mags and scrummy food (preferably made by my own mum haha)... I'll take the occasional paracetamol, and teamwork is really important/or having someone who can amuse the kids jointly while you are feeling like 50% of your usual self!

My girls are one and three so maybe I've yet to experience the 'pandemic' type colds that are more frequent once they start at school, but they still go down with a fair few sniffles. Calpol and ibuprofen for them - usually the ibuprofen at night as it's longer acting, but rarely need this for more than a night or two. we use vapo rub if it seems chesty, or the olbas oil on a tissue, or a little bit of either (or both) in a little bowl of boiling water (and safely out of reach) just so they have a little hit of the vapors before they settle.

Runny noses are often the last stage to go - that and a cough, but I don't really think you want to speed any of it up cuz it's all boosting their immunity in the long run.

I do try and prevent where possible and avoid the disgusting big sneezers in shops etc! Makes my fella laugh if I see someone do i cuz I instantly build an imaginery forcefield around our girls and run the opposite direction! This theory is not at all proven and may be more infringing on OCD but as they say, prevention is better than cure! But at the end of the day, a nice steady stream of germs are good and healthy for most healthy little ones!

2
4 0

Just wanted to say that I love your answer Bex.... you sound like a really down to Earth girl and a wonderful Mummy :) I've been a Mum for 17 years now and I will give my kiddies dimetapp or demazin to clear their sinuses if it is really bothering them, usually before school or before bed. I find that a bit of activity out in the sunshine is good for the sniffle and our favourite trick for bedtime is.. whichever nostril is blocked has to be on the top. I ind myself that it seems to 'drain' the nostril somewhat and then they just roll over and face the other nostril upwards as it blocks. Not really a cure but it keeps them occupied and feeling like they are helping themselves until they fall asleep. Kind of similar to... if you have the hiccups, you have to roll up your sleeve (long or short), several times in a nice small neat cuff. If the hiccups aren't gone by the time you are finished, you didn't roll it neat enough.. start again!!! The kids are amazed that it actually works.. little do they know, simply the fact that they are concentrating so hard on some-thing else and maybe holding their breath a little bit seems to be the actual 'cure' for the hiccups.. haha

1 0

We use a neti pot with saline packets and warm water to get rid of our runny noses.

2
8 13

what is that? and how does it work & how do you use it? Please. I babysit my 3 grandkids for my working daughter... 11 mth old twins & a 3 y.o. ... they've had a runny nose for a month... they catch stuff on their "one day" at daycare..... I'm keeping Kleenex & Huggies wipes in business!!!!

0 16

Someone can suggest where i can buy doTerra essential oils in Hong Kong???Thanks for the help...

1
14 0

I have my son (and do this myself) spray plain saline in each nostril to loosen things up and then lean over a hot (not boiling, very light steam or you can burn yourself) pot of water with peppermint oil in it and a towel over the head and the pot. Keeping your eyes closed! It will typically stimulate the sinuses to drain. We both will let them run and drip into the pot for a few minutes, usually until the dripping slows down quite a bit or stops. I do it every night from the start of a cold and usually by day three of the average cold, the sinuses are drained out fairly well and you don't really get a runny nose any longer.

1
2 21

I love this idea, will try tonight with my girl! Waiting for Greens to kick in, and there is a lot of congestion. Thanks Treyci!

1

I need help

0
0 5

Without a neti pot, (like while on a camping trip)... when allergies (or a new cold) has us all stuffed up, I use a palmful of hot (CLEAN!!) water and a tiny pinch of salt. Stir it around in my palm and sniff it up my nose. I do it 2 or 3 times if necessary, and 2 or 3 times a day. Then blow my nose to clear it out. Works great.

0
0 0

I put vicks vapo rub on their feet and then put thick socks on.

0
0 20

What works for me is bathing my kids every day!
In the shower apply sailine solution on the nose.
Sweeze the nose to try to remove the moat posible mucus.
I use the humidifier at night, I make them chicken soup with veggies, change the sheets every day, and I take them to get chiropractor adjustments.

0
0 3

The best thing I have is to rinse it out with saline nose spray and to whipe the nose with wet wipes and not tissues. They will sneeze all the blockages out. However, once the stuff becomes yellow greenish you should consult the doctor. They have infection and antibiotics is required before it spreads to the lower respitory system.

0
2 21

I like to take it on the Health side. To prevent or attack a runny nose we get progressive on our Greens. It is a simple powder that seems to boost our systems. I know it has kicked out some pretty resistant strains. I ran out last week and my poor sweet girl is all stuffed up now. They came today, we will do twice daily till she is right again.
https://mishawraps.myitworks.com/Shop/Product/303

Not trying to make a sale, just love what we have to offer and want to share the Health!
Michelle in San Diego

0