How can you help kids with acid reflux?

Acid reflux can begin as young as infancy and many kids outgrow it eventually. What are some ways to treat acid reflux in kids?

11 0

Lots of time seeking a totally different diet ... so much of what we eat is processed ... baby's formula ... read it ... it's filled with high fructose corn syrup .... it actually makes children Hyper and is VERY, VERY bad for one's health that stuff ... yet we feed it to our babies from birth on ... basically EVERY processed food has GMO products in it that they KNOW is VERY unhealthy for us & killing our 'gut flora & fauna' which keeps us healthy. A healthy diet with no processed food will often turn stuff like this around and make people healthy ... from infant to elderly.

3
2 0

When a baby is born its skull is designed to move to allow it through the birth canal, after birth it then needs to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle (neck and shoulder misalignments from birth can also cause issues) If it doesnt it can have affects like reflux , colic , bed wetting etc. I have been treating babies and children with Bowen therapy and find after a few treatments their bodies realine and reflux, colic and bed wetting r no longer an issue and your baby hasn't needed medication. I recommend Bowening babies from birth to give them the best start in life (also great for getting mums realigned too)

2
0 0

hi Angi. I just read your post, could you please explain what is Bowening?

0 1

Since it can result in esophageal cancer later in life, parents and pediatricians should be slower to decide their child outgrew it. I have reflux with esophageal scarring and do not spit up.

1
4 0

Pls try a reputable chiropractor

0 0

My son has had reflux since birth - he was completely breastfed - so I do not have the formula issue. He is now 12 years old and is vomiting - sometimes 2x a day - has gone through numerous tests, studies, and still no answers. Just had ultrasound, stool and blood samples, and an endoscopy. No diagnosis. I am reaching out to moms that could perhaps have some info. Thank you - He has been tested for h.pylori, celiac, lactose intolerance, and various others. Because you know u do your research - but if I am missing anything I would like to know!

1
0 0

My nephew has smiliar problems...have them check for crohn's disease. It can be treated but hardly every diagnosed.

0 9

My baby had it from birth and I could not get her to lay down and sleep. She never had milk coming out just had it push up and burn her. That made me sit up with her for 3 days in my arms. After that I went to my ped and he gave me Losec. It's a pill that I had to give her once a day and after the first pill I could lay her down for the first time in 3 day's. She was on it till about 8months and then I stoped. She's just over 2 years now and still from time to time have acid reflux. If she wakes up at night (normally within an hour of going to bed) and she's crying whice she never does or she brings up a bit of acid I know, will then give her 5ml of normal Gaviscon and then all is okay again. After I had her I've had 2 friends that has also had the same problem with there baby's and both have used Losec and after that there baby's have been fine.

1
4 0

I have the same story. Losec helped but chiropractor kinesiologist healed it for good. Such a miracle treatment. My heart goes out to the kids and mums suffering. It was so tough a time.

13 18

I know many infants and parents that have been helped by the Guardian Sleeper. This unique sleep positioner allows the parent to angle the infants crib mattress to help with the sympoms of reflux. Not only does it allow for angling of the crib but it keeps the baby safely covered and swaddled. This increases sleep duration. Happy baby happy parents. It is truely worth a look at the wedsite. The website has medical testimonials and lots of useful information. www.guardiansleeper.com.

1
0 0

Cut out spicy foods like pizza, spaghetti sauce, mexican food, etc. Soda's with caffeine. Don't let them eat after 9 pm. The dr can prescribe a medication as well. I have it and so does my grand-daughter. I would do whatever it takes so a child does not suffer with acid reflux. I know how bad it hurts. I take medicine every night. My grand-daughter's dr said to drink milk only and only one soda a day. Orange juice or too much citrus fruits. I can't eat pineapple in large quantities.

0
0 0

My son had acid reflux as an infant. He was put on medication at a month old and then another medication for the side effects of the first one. Then another supplement for the side effects of the second medication. It was a mess. He then started having ear infections that medication was not helping. I finally received some advice when he was 9 months old that changed our lives.
I was told by a doctor that if he truly had a defective sphincter that was allowing the acid back up, he would not outgrow it. If it is defective, as I had been told, it would always be defective. A sphincter would not magically repair itself. Was then reminded that child birth is as stressful on the child as it is on the mother. It is not uncommon for children to get pinched nerves, etc after child birth especially natural child birth. The pinched nerves also could be why the ear infections are not being helped with medication. Medication clears up the infection, but do nothing to help drain the ears.
While I was skeptical, I couldn't find any medical information to contradict what I was being told. My son went to a chiropractor when he was 9 months old. That night he started sleeping through the night (which he hadn't been for 6 weeks prior) and was weaned off ALL his medications and supplements. He is drug free and acid reflux free for over 8 years now. He is not a reoccuring chiropractic patient either.
I would definitely recommend checking into a chiropractor before putting on medication. I realize every situation is different, but could have saved putting my son through so much if I would have just known more! Medications have so many side effects. There are homeopathic remedies with no side effects that are safe and natural.

0
0 3

Hi Heather, really interesting post, I am currently waiting to see a Gastroenterologist for my 9 year old. Could you explain what the chiropractor did exactly to help.

0 0

My daughter had acid reflux for about a year. I didnt know what it was and when I took her to my gp he said this was the most likely cause of her sickness at night. He gave me infant gavisicon for her and it worked a treat, no more sickness and now she is finally over it and doesnt need the gaviscon anymore. He did wonder that it might have been astma as this could have had the same sickness affect at night when she lay down, and I had treatment for that too, but the gaviscon worked and acid reflux it was.

0
2 0

My granddaughter is on zantac and is still up all night with colic

54 18

I have found from research and and talking to other people with this problem that it is a Magnesium deficiency. Some people take milk of magnesia. I take a magnesium supplement before going to bed because magnesium also helps you sleep. Even though I personally have never had acid reflux, I had other magnesium deficiency symptoms. You also might want to watch what they eat especially acid based foods like spaghetti sauce etc. Maybe just eat a little but cut back on the amount. I have a friend that puts a pinch of baking soda in the spaghetti sauce to tone down the acid in the sauce and says it works quite well. You can also buy Magnesium powder in the health food store and mix it in juice or other liquids. You don't want to give them to much because there are toxic affects of over dose so you need to find out the U.S. Rda requirements for the age of your child and only give them that amount per day in divided doses maybe morning and night etc. There are also several foods that contain magnesium like bananas etc. You may also want to google food sources of magnesium and if they get their requirement through food that is better than supplementing if your tracking what they are getting in their food.

0
1 1

My daughter had a horrible case of acid reflux. When she was born we only noticed after about one month where she cried all day and all night. I brought her to the dr and she confirmed it was acid reflux.. She slept in her car seat for 2 months until she improved . She gave me Zantac but it made het sick so I brought her to a natural dr and he have me acidopholous / bifidus capsules to mix in a little bit of cereal for her . Literally it was a coffee spoon full since shewas only 2 months old. We saw a diff right away and she continued this until she was about 2 . She is A very fussy eater and we' always wonder if it's due to her acid . She hasn't complained about it ever and is now 4. But I stay away from giving her too many foods that cause acid so diet is extremely important .