How did you choose your children's names?

Where did you get inspiration for which baby name to choose for your child?

5 70

My husband and I had a very hard time conceiving our daughter Hannah. We are very spiritual and the story of Hannah in the bible really explained the blessing that came out of that struggle. Our son Langston is special to my husband and I- we are college sweethearts and we both majored in English. Our favorite poet is Langston Hughes.

5
50 2

I adore the name Hannah its a beautiful simple name and I think thats wonderful that Langston came from something that you both had not only in common but also loved very nice!

0 0

olivia from fringe. spencer from criminal minds, parker from bones....

3
3 0

It was important to us that we name our children after family. We wanted to honor them.

My daughter is 8 - Helayna Janetmae.
My grandma (my angel, my confidant) was Helen. When I was a teenager I told her I wanted to name my baby girl after her one day. She said: Helen? I said yes. She says: Oh, the poor child! I said: What about Helayna? She said: Well that's pretty. So Helayna it was.
Middle name: My MIL is Janet and my paternal grandma's middle name is Mae. We combined the two for a beautiful girl. We also spelled Helayna different (rather than Helena) because my husband didn't want people calling her Helen-a.

My son is 7 - Carter Myron Thomas. Two middle names here.
The initials CMT are important in my family. While it's not a direct father-son lineage, Carter is the 5th generation with these initials. And Carter is my MIL's ,maiden name, Myron is my FIL, Thomas is my maiden name. It works well together, Carter loves his name and he loves the fact that he's a part of something bigger than he is. My FIL says he can't come over to my house, tho, without thinking he's in trouble. It's always: Carter Myron! Carter Myron!!
In retrospect, I wish we'd gone with Carter Montgomery Thomas. That would have been naming him after the surnames of all the families he's from. But he's my Carter Myron. We don't use the Thomas much, only when he's in REAL trouble!

2
264 23

My husband & I only wanted two children & I always had a reoccouring dream about finding my daughter in a sparse forest & walking out with her (her being born)...or at least attempting to walk out with her. But something always woke me up, so the little girl & I never actually left the forest. Well, we ended up having two boys & figured we were done. But suprise! another pregnancy & we knew right from the start that it was the little girl. My MIL, husband & I have been having battles about what to name her & it was starting to stress me out. I couldn't find ANYTHING that was perfect enough. So I decided to go into the dream & find out. When I went to bed one night I just kept thinking about & picturing the dream forest from before & sure enough, I ended up having a dream where the name Rowan or Rowena was written out. When I woke up I just KNEW it was my daughter's name!! Her name will be Rowena Margarite (Margaret is his grandmother's name & Marjorie is my grandmother's name).

2
2 0

nice name nvr heard of dat anywaz god bless her

9 0

I research names online, looking out for pronunciation, meaning and language of origin that suits me.

1
11 0

In 2009 we were pregnant with a Son whom when I was 7month pregnant with him I had complications and he passed on, I was so devastated and didnt want to ever fall pregannt or have kids again, then well in 2011 we fell pregnant again with yet another Son and being as Spiritual as we are we named him Gaopallwe which is in Setswana and translated to English simply means "with God nothing is Impossible" and now our son is healthy and 20months old. We are now pregnant again and be it a boy or Girl we are going to name the baby Ofentse still in Setswana which means through God we have seen Victory.

1
1 0

Always put Mr. or Mrs. to a name...also Aunt and Uncle....see if it grows up. If it doesn't then don't use it. Cute children names can spell disaster later. Also add ie or y and see if you are prepared for a nickname even if you don't plan on using it. Alayne will end up being Laney no matter how hard you try to keep it from happening. Mr. Ricky Spears doesn't grow up. But Mr. Richard Spears does. Call him Ricky all you want but he will be picked on if there isn't a grown up name to rely on. I am a 72 yr old grandma and have seen many kids be embarrassed by their names. Don't make up a name that looks like you took letters out of a bag and rearranged them. So not fair to your child.

1
10 2

Jasmine Alessandra - it just goes together! I think our daughter's name is very pretty and feminine.

1
9 0

My daughter is Isabella Grace, chosen three years before she was conceived and well before the name "Bella" became so popular. If I had had any clue that it WAS going to be so common, my Bella would be either Camille or Corrine. My son is Silas, and his name came from God. I was sitting in church one Sunday, listening to the gospel of Silas and Paul, and as clearly as I've ever heard anything, a voice told me "You're going to have a boy, and his name is Silas." I wasn't even pregnant at the time, and I HATED the name, so of course, I ignored the voice. When I did end up pregnant, 7 months later, the voice came back, and it still insisted that my boy was to be Silas. The name grew on me, in spite of huge family resistance; I actually had to allow my ex dh to choose his middle name, Henry, in order to get him to agree to have Silas as his first name-he came close to choosing Wilford, oy!

1
68 7

My first daughter's name is Giovanna Noelle. I was adopted but I know my family is of Italian heritage so it was special to me to have a name that honored my heritage. Noelle is after my my ex's high schoo best friend who passed away when I was pg. My twins are Gabriella Ruth (her dad chose this and the middle name is his grandmother's name) and Giulianna Marie (sticking with the Italian theme this was my choice...my grandmothers' names Julia and Luella Marie).
I still love them all as when we picked them!

1
23 23

Dahlia Violet is my daughter.

Dahlia because Roald Dahl and I share a birthday, and I've always been inspired by his work. My favorite artist is Salvador Dali, so...

Dahl + Dali + feminine ending = Dahlia.

Violet is a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference, and my favorite color is purple. Dahlias are usually pink, so her name is pink and purple! :)

1
3 0

Nice name, from flower like my name.

6 1

I let my husband pick the name for our first daughter, he chose Serenity (I think he liked the movie LOL) and I picked her middle name Raine, it just flowed well. I named our second daughter, I wanted something very unique but matching to my other daughters name so I chose Trinity Mileena Marie (Marie after my middle name). We are pregnant (due on Friday WAHOOOO) with our 3rd and its our little boy (YAY) he will be our last so I wanted him to take his dads name but still be unique like our girls so we decided on Christopher Arcangelo (Arcangelo after Corelli the violinist, I LOVE the violin).

1
57 10

My son's name is Andrew Lee, sort of named after his father, Lee Andrew. My daughter's name is Jaylynn Willow... I just thought of names until I found one that I loved and felt right! I wanted something sort of unique for our daughter but something that she wouldn't get made fun of for. Absolutely love our name choices!!!

1
2 0

That is kind of funny. I have a friend named Nikki and her oldest daughter is Jalynn. That was the first time I had ever seen that name and now I have seen it a couple of times. Never with a Nikki mom, though.

5 16

Marisa Nicole.... I liked Marisa and Nicole is my fav nieces name.
Justin Allen.... Justin is for my sister named Justine who died when i was pregnant with him and Allen is his dads middle name
Samantha ( Sami ) Jo....Her dad named her Samantha ( I like Sami for short ) and Jo just goes really well with Sami.

1
8 16

I grew up in the 50's and was always one of MANY Kathi's,(Kathy, Cathy, Kathie) in every class I was ever in. I wanted my daughter to have her own name. We were at a Burger King when I was just three months pregnant, my hubby was looking at the Tiffany lamps that had grape vines and grapes on them, he started thinking about the grape varieties and got to Chenin Blanc and suddenly said " what do you think of the name Chenine ( rhymes with Jeannine). I told him I loved it, and asked him what he thought of Chenine Louise, he loved that and we had our name. Louise was my great aunt and also the middle name of the girl who played all the music at our wedding, She was the little sister I never had. I was thrilled to be able to honor them both.
Our son is Brian Nils. He was named for my cousin Bryan who died when I was 17, and Nils for my husbands grandfather and father. Very special names,

1
50 2

Chenine is a lovely name and not one I have ever heard...very nice :)

1 0

I wanted strong female names that have history to them. My eldest is Isabelle, meaning "Gods promise" and her middle name is Ruby, after my grandmother.

My youngest is Alexandra, meaning "defender of mankind", middle name is Rose....simply because my husband was really into Dr. Who and liked the name Rose.

That and we liked that their nicknames went together "Izzy & Alex".

1
2 0

i did my schooling from alexandra high school n i really love this name

1

i want to call my baby R letter,also nick

0
111 0

For us we wanted biblical names because in our country they know what religion you are based on your name. After searching for a name we made a list and started eliminating from it. In the end you no matter how pretty the name is, you feel that some names are for you. In all 3 kids we felt strong about the names we picked before the birth.

0
4 0

Aaron Scott(the son of a scot)
Branyn Kael (after a character from Willow, Kael the Gaelic form of charles so he could be name after his grandfather without being called Charles)
Connor Jareth(named after Connor Macleod from Highlander and the goblin king from Labyrinth)

Deanna Jade( Deanna after Deanna Troi from Star Trek TNG) and Jaid (after Mara Jade from Star Wars{but spelled differently.}

The alphabetical naming of my children was due to my ex husband wanted me to have a baby for every letter of the alphabet. I told him "I'll have the first one, you can have the rest.

0
24 20

My first daughter was named with a unique first name, the original spelling was Kezia but the two middle letters were switched around (the Z and the I). Her first middle name is Vera, after my mom (who passed when I was 3 mts pregnant) and her second middle name is after a Viking word (Valkyrie). My son's first name is a Scottish name (Aeron) and his middle name is named after his paternal grandfather's middle name. And my youngest got a Welsh name, a mythological name actually (look up the name of the mother of Pryderi) and her middle name was after the purple flower of Scotland.(Heather).

0
8 66

Lucian (also spelt Lucien in French) means ray of light. I was pregnant and watching the movie Gladiator over and over. Caesar's nephew was named Louscious and I liked it but it needed to be modernized. Lucian is also Sigmund Freud's artist grandson was named Lucian. His middle name - Xavier - is because his father is a 7th generation Javier (middle name) and we Americanized it. Lucian Xavier Garcia.

My daughter, Miette Bijou Gaston. I have always loved the French name Miette (Mee-et), it means small, beautiful one. Bijou is French for jewel. And she got my last name - Gaston. Par le vous? lol

My daughter

0
3 0

I named my daughter after a family member.

0
1 0

Eldest was to be Amanda Diane - #@!& sis-in-law had her baby and named her - what else! Amanda Diane. Loved the name. Sigh. My daughter was born 9 weeks early, I had no name picked out. Her father chose April Dawn.

Second is Angela Cathleen. Angela because ... it felt right, and Cathleen after my best friend Catherine.

0
33 0

I think any name is great if there is a reason or meaning connected to it. I always find it strange when people give their children names when they don't know that the name means or what its origin is.

0
2 10

My daughter and her boyfriend were expecting their 1st baby and couldn't decide on a name. Which is so typical for those two because they can never agree or anything, but that's beside the point. So my oldest daughter took part of my youngest daughter's middle name and part of the baby daddy's 1st name and put them together and make a completly beautiful new name for the baby. And it fits her perfectly !!

0
29 31

I love the Hebraic culture and the Jewish people and my name is also Hebrew, so I was greatly influenced by the culture and meaning of the names.

0
1 1

I named my son Seneca David. I named my daughter Siobhan Pierette.
I got the names off the soap opera Ryan's Hope which is no longer on.
My mother said that my kids would HATE their names when they grew up.
Not true. My kids love their names and thank me for naming them such neat names.
I also knew with those names they could not be nicknamed like Jessie for Jessica and so on.

0
0 0

We have three children and are expecting another three in May.

Our eldest child is a little girl named Elisabeth Cecilia Arabelle 'Elsa'. We chose the nickname Elsa after my husbands sister who passed away the year before our Elsa was born, we loved the name as it had such a special meaning to us. We chose Cecilia (CH-Chee-LE-ah) after my mother. And as we struggled to conceive, we thought that Arabelle would be a perfect middle name as it means "Answered prayer"

Our Second is a litte boy named Maximiliano François Elliot. "Max". We chose Elliot because we liked it. Maximiliano is a family name given to the first born boy. François (Fran-swa) is my husband's father's name.

Our youngest is another little boy named Aloysius Frederick Jacques "Alo". Jacques is my brother in law's name. Frederick is a name we both LOVED. and Aloysius (Al-oh-wish-us) is a version of my brother's name Luigi and has the same meaning (Warrior) as my husband Alexandre's name/

0
9 0

When we found out we were having a boy, I said he had to have a biblical name and his father wanted to pay homage to his father who has passed away. so his first name is Isaac and he has his grandpa's name as a middle name :)

0
1 12

With my 1st set of children (boy/girl, ages 29 & 27) they were named traditional (common) names that were acceptable to my ex-husband's family. The ex was very controlling and I had very little say in the matter, nor much say about anything.... They are named Russell Allen & Jessica Nicole. Russell's godfather was his dad's brother, and his dad insisted he have his uncle's initials, rather than be named directly after him. I was just grateful he didn't demand that he be named the traditional male name: Roland William. YUCK. Russell would have been The 4th. YUCK TIMES 4. My ex chose Jessica, (the #1 girl's name that yr). It was acceptable to my meddling MIL, but "Nicole" wasn't as the family was not French. (sigh)

My 2nd family is also boy/girl, aged 11 & 8. They are named Tristan Kyle and Fallon Sophia. We chose their names based on specific nomenclature that my husband and I agreed upon. We wanted certain heritage, 2 syllable, uncommon, and names that could NOT be abbreviated into any kind of nickname. We poured over baby name lists online and baby books. My husband discovered the name Fallon when I was pregnant with our son, and we were both DESPERATELY in love with that name. I tried like crazy to see if there was ANY instance, ANYWHERE, where the name was used as a boy's name...no such luck! But we were very happy with the name Tristan, and we still are.

Interesting note about his name, and it being fairly uncommon/unique: When Tristan started kindergarten in 2006, we had just moved to a tiny little mountain community in southern Colorado. There were 15 children in his kindergarten class...THREE OF THEM WERE NAMED TRISTAN!! The other 2 boys each had different, non-traditional, ways of spelling the name though. One was Tryston and the other was Triston, I think...that one moved away during the first 2 weeks of school thankfully.

We are still desperately in love with the name Fallon Sophia. It's perfect for her and absolutely unique.

0
2 11

Make sure you look up what a name means. I named our oldest Lily Sue (who is now 6) and just found out Sue means Lily. I had no idea. Sue is my moms middle name and I thought they sounded good together. My second daughter, Mary Grace, I named after my and my husbands grandmothers and her middle name we chose because my FIL liked Gracie. I didn't think Gracie went well with Mary so we just took out the i.

0
0 0

my son was named after a boy i knew in HS who's name i always thought was neat- mason kendall. if he'd been a girl (which i was sure of until the day of my ultrasound when before i went i got this overwhelming feeling "she' was a "he" and i was right) she'd have been named kensington alaine ..kensington coming from a book i once read and alaine coming from a mix of my mom's name alana and my gram's middle name lorainne. unfortunately, my mason boy is all there'll ever be so my little kensie girl will never happen.

0
87 4

I loved my 1st sister-in-law so much when my brother got married; he was 23 and I was 12. I never had a sister and I was so happy to have her. So, when my turn to have a child came down the pike, I named our 1st daughter after her. Turns out to have been a disheartening mistake for a number of reasons. She turned out to be a jealous kind of person and consequently kept his attention to herself. None of us was really allowed to see him and over time, he became less and less available to us; in fact, when he was not at home, she would drunk-call us to see if he was with us. Her jealousies eventually got the best of her and she became an alcoholic, which horrifically ended her life. One point here is that when you're young, you have stars in your eyes; another is that no one really knows how things will eventually turn out, so best to play things carefully. (And just for saying...his 2nd wife is such a wonderful woman; she has changed his life and ours!)

0
2 15

My son is Thomas Allen, after his dad and grandpa, though his dad is Thomas Allan, and his grandpa is Thomas Alan. It is important to me that the names mean something, and I prefer they are inspired by or honor someone. My daughter was Laurel Victoria after two very good friends and it was perfect for her. I am remarried now and my husband and I are trying. We are planning on Anastasia Grace for a girl and Charles Ollivander. Anastasia was his grandma's name, Charles was his father.

0
5 0

Harper Rae - girl named after Ben Harper and many great Rays (charles, lamontange, stevie)
Lylla Rose- Lylla form of lillian- great aunt and rose family name and beautiful flower (i'm a gardner)

0
178 25

both of our daughters got there names from StarTrek,silly i know but they really fit each girl well. Phoenix Marie has red hair,a firey temper, and is constantly reinventing herself. She's only 7. And Kira Nerys(pronounced ni-reese) , our 3 yr old, is strong willed, seems to be a thrill seeker,- jumping off the stairs 5 steps from the bottem, and very sure of herself. Just like the charactor she was named after. (:

0
178 25

you get bonus pts if anyone can tell me what ST series Kira Nerys is from...lol

0 6

my son is LEE ADAM we were western fans in the 70's and I thote Lee Majors was the bees knees phoah! Lee was quite poular also for lots of US actors all handsome of course. Lee was rarely heard of in the UK back then...it means "field / shelter" Adam ..."first born son" biblical too. Lee has called his only son KANE ROY, different spelling to namesake Michael Caine and Roy after my dad

0
54 0

In the hospital the day my daughter was born I had yet to pick out a name. Then my boyfriend said "Ashton". I was so thrilled that it was the first interest he'd shown in this child at all that I instantly agreed. Now I can't imagine her ever having any other name.

0
3 0

I name my son Jireh, it is one of God's attribute. Jehovah Jireh means God will provide. My daughter is Esther after the book of Esther of Queen Esther in the bible. I hope they will live up to God's expectation.

0
4 0

My husband used a random named generator and on our 5th try we agreed TOGETHER. Allysson Mae-Lynn ♥

0