How did you to teach your children to read?

Many parents start teaching their children to read before or alongside school lessons. There are many strategies on teaching kids to read - which methods have worked for you?

14 22

Read aloud to them, starting when they are very little. Talk about the books you read with them. Point out print and letters in the environment. Talk about letters and sounds. Tell stories. Label things with your child's name or with what is there. (The toy box says "toys") Play with letters. Let them see you read for fun. Make books available to them. When you write something for them, spell it out and connect the written word to the spoken word. This will not necessarily teach your child to read fully but it will prepare them to read & love to read. Every kindergarten teacher I have ever talked to will tell you the number 1 thing to do with your child is read to them. One of my kids taught himself to read in preschool. I didn't push it with any of them & all four of my older ones were reading small chapter books by first grade at some point. And I have to drag them away from reading to have them do other stuff.

3
9 0

Good ideas! Thanks!

1 0

I taught my son to read at 18 months old. I made large flashcards and wrote out words like "cup", "bedroom", "night", "refrigerator". Then I went through the stack quickly, saying the words out loud that were on the cards. Don't linger on any card, just go through the stack. Do this every day, switching words every 3-5 days, then coming back to the same words. My son was reading on his own at 2 years old and is now one of the smartest kids in school. My daughter is also gifted, but she did not have the patience for the cards so she was 3 before she could read. Phonics should be utilized as well but not exclusively.

0
178 0

These are all excellent answers. However, let your child see YOU reading as well. My daughter always told me that she wanted to learn to read because it was something she saw me enjoying.

0
8 0

My mother learned to read at the age of two by watching the words her father read aloud from his old books. This may sound odd, but she was the youngest reader I know of personally: Though it doesn't sound fun, if its the act of being able to read words you want accomplished, then picturelss books seem to be the most effective. This is why: Many children when being read a kid's book will listen to the story you tell and imagine it happening through the pictures provided. While this nurture's creativity and is a wonderful thing as well, the bright, fun illustrations tend to be the focus here. With adult (not inappropriate, of course) books lacking pictures, there is nothing to follow but the words on the page. They will figure out which makes which sound, etc. They may not even know what these 'adult' words mean, but they will focus on letters and their combined sounds. It's an unintended learning process undergone by a natural curiosity. I'm not saying this will work for every child, but it doesn't hurt to try in this case.

0
1 0

Hi Everyone,
In light of the national campaign to improve early childhood education and the new common core state standards recently adopted by virtually all 50 states, I wanted to share a wonderful new and unique alphabet book that is due out sometime in August: ALPHABET ANATOMY: MEET THE CAPITAL LETTERS. This book presents a rhyming verse and heartwarming illustration for each capital letter, providing a visual of each letter's sound and shape, thus teaching children how to write the letter as well as its sound -- critical skills in acquiring reading proficiency! Alphabet Anatomy was created by a mom and her son! Please check out the website at alphabetanatomy.com and like on Facebook.

0
12 0

1. Teach your child to Identify the Upper and Lowercase Letters of the Alphabet
2. Teach your child the Sounds of the Letters
3. Teach your child to put sounds together
4. Sight words
I used www.FirstStepReading.com It has FREE child friendly videos for each step of teaching your child to read. I helps you as well as your child because the videos go in order and the author answers any questions you have and its all FREE

0
44 14

I am using How to Teach your child to read in 100 lesson. It is based on Read Naturally, which is a very common elementary reading program. It is direct instruction and phonetic based. We have begun to read very simple words (cvc) and can sound out about 10 different consonants and vowels. The lessons are short and you just have to follow the instructions. The best part is it only cost about 14 dollars at Barnes and Noble and no supplemental material needed (except paper, to practice writing the letters)

0
9 0

Good ideas! Thanks!

0 0

I read aloud to my sons from the time they were in utero thru today. They're now 14 and 16 and still ask me to read to them before bed for a bit. I NEVER gave them formal instruction of any kind but they began reading at age 4 and 3 1/2. We played with words and books from the beginning. I read aloud every opportunity. We acted stories out with puppets or ourselves. They dictated their stories to me and then they illustrated them. And then I read their stories to them! We recited over and over as kids often like to do poems from people like Sandra Boynton (Moo baa la la la was one of our favorites.) when we were driving. We kept large sheets of paper with favorite words on them . Each letter of the alphabet had its sheet. We just enjoyed. They are both stellar readers and writers, tho the elder is an avid reader and the younger less so though he does enjoy a good book. Just have fun!

0
9 0

Good ideas, tks!

0 6

Progressivephonics.com is a free site with printable books and worksheets. My daughter loves it! Only warning is the Alphabet section is not complete, but it's been a great start!

0
0 18

This should work for me thanx a bunch

0 0

I am still trying to teach her! Any suggestions??

0
1 0

Hi Everyone, In light of the national campaign to improve early childhood education and the new common core state standards recently adopted by virtually all 50 states, I wanted to share a wonderful new and unique alphabet book that is due out sometime in August: ALPHABET ANATOMY: MEET THE CAPITAL LETTERS. This book presents a rhyming verse and heartwarming illustration for each capital letter, providing a visual of each letter's sound and shape, thus teaching children how to write the letter as well as its sound -- critical skills in acquiring reading proficiency! Alphabet Anatomy was created by a mom and her son! Please check out the website at alphabetanatomy.com and like on Facebook.