How did you transition to sippy cups?

As your little one gets older, it's time to start teaching them some important skills, like eating and drinking with utensils. Enter the sippy cup! But transition is sometimes difficult. How did you teach your little one to use this essential tool?

1,229 0

Like Danielle Bitto we also skipped sippy cups and went straight to regular cups. I hate sippy cups. The tops get chewed, they leak when they get old, they can be a pain to wash, it was just something else to buy. We also used water bottles with spouts on trips.

0
63 41

I started all 4 of my kids on sippy cups around 6 months old. They still had a bottle for breastmilk or formula, but they only got juice in a sippy cup. Right before they turned 1 I started to give them part milk/part formula in a cup. Started off with 1 a day. On their 1st birthday, they only got cups of either milk or juice. I only had problems with my 2nd & 4th. My 2nd is stubborn as anything & fought the milk in a cup for about 2 days - I just gave her extra OJ with calcium & vitamin D. Then she took her milk without any problems. And my 4th would only use a sippy cup with a straw. I tried every single sippy cup I had from my 1st 3, and that was all he would use. But at 3, he's drinking out of a regular cup with no problem.

0
152 67

I didn't. *shrug*

My kids were breastfed, so that may have had something to do with it, but I started them on regular cups as soon as they were sitting with us at mealtimes. Since they'd never taken a bottle, a sippy seemed unnecessary to me. At first, I'd give them an empty cup to play with. Once they were bored with it, I'd add an ounce or two of water; no big deal if they spilled it. I never "taught" them to drink out of it, but watching us drink from our glasses at mealtimes, they'd begin to mimic us. It only took a few weeks for them to stop turning it over or spilling it, at which point I'd give them breast milk or diluted juice in the cup instead of just water. All my kids were drinking from an open cup without a mess by a year (the earliest was 8 months, the latest was 11 months.) It was a few months before I'd give them more than 2 ounces at a time, though. Of course, even at 4, 3, and 22 months, there are occasional accidental spills (heck, even I knock my glass over on occasion,) but it's not a regular occurrence. The exception to the open-cup policy is long car-rides or outings, when they all have thermoses with spouts so we can pack them easily in the diaper bag.

0
581 24

at about one year old we transitioned to sippy cup. took the bottles away all together.

0
0 0

I started my daughter on a sippy cup once she was able to hold her own bottle. (she was 5 months old) I started out only putting juice and water in it. When I started transitioning her to milk instead of formula I then started giving her formula in her sippy cup and she was only getting her bottle at night before bed. Now she is almost a year old and I have completely taken her off the bottle. At first she was not to fond of the sippy cup. I figured out that if she got a sippy cup first thing in the morning before seeing a bottle she took to it much better. She now has no desire for a bottle and loves her sippy cup.

0
0 33

i have only just given my son a sippy cup (20 months) as i made the mistake of giving him a drink bottle with a straw ( once he could hold own bottle) then realised hey thats not going to help to drink out of an uncovered cup hahaha he has taken to it okish if i had to go back and do it again i would not have given him the straw till later

0
17 0

Just gave it to her and tipped it over. She refused to use the bottle, for either formula or breast milk, which made life a bit difficult at times. So after 6 months I tried a sippy cup instead on her, and she liked it. She prefers the cup with the rubber spout, probably because she just started teething. She'll drink anything in it, including formula when I need it. She's never used a pacifier either.

0
5 16

we threw all her bottles out together and now she has no more bottles and I tell her she is a big girl and she repeats that she is a big girl!

0
243 19

Just gave one to her when she was about 6 months old. She was never into bottles and took to them right away. She's now 20 months and drinks from a regular cup.

0
6 0

I just got my 18 month old off of bottles this weekend, 4th child...I finally decided enough is enough. I was hesitant because I offered her sippy cups here and there and she just drank more out of bottles, probably because of the familiarity. I did sippy cups during the day and morning and night a bottle and then just threw out all bottles on Sunday, mostly so I didn't and couldn't turn back...she is a human being. If she is thirsty, she will drink...she's done very well this week off of bottles.

0
20 37

I introduced the sippy cup to both of my children (now 2 & 6) at about 6 months. As soon as they were sitting in a high chair & eating some solid foods, I gave them a sippy cup. It was more of a toy at first that they banged around, but it didn't take long for them to understand it was actually something useful. I used the smaller ones with handles on both sides. Just seemed easier for their little hands to grasp. I also took the plug out for the first few tries of actual liquid drinking so they knew that there was something in there and they could get the hang of tilting it up. It took a little while to get them to tip it up & suck on it properly but not more than a few weeks. I got rid of all bottles at 6 months with both kids. I nursed them both until 13 months though, so bottles were only at daycare or with Daddy mostly. We were a fairly minimal bottle family. All bottles were replaced with sippy cups at about 6 months. I can say it was more difficult with my youngest than my oldest. But, some of that, I think, was that she really liked her pacifier and she was in daycare more & used a bottle more consistently there. My oldest never used a pacifier and used a bottle far less. After some initial frustration with my youngest I realized that she didn't like the harder topped sippy cups, so I ended up using a transition sippy cup for about a month that had a softer sippy part. That pretty much took care of her resistance to actually drinking from it. She was using the regular type in no time.

0
28 12

I am trying to transition my little man to a sippy cup. He really dislikes bottles and only really wants me ( i am breastfeeding). Did you pump and place the fresh expressed milk into the sippy or warm your breast milk or give it cold? I either blacked out any struggle when giving my daughter the sippy or she was just so amiable and thirsty.

15 13

Once my daughter was able to hold her own bottle, I started giving her a sippy cup and it turned out grerat

0