How did your decorating style change when you became a mom?

2 0

I was an only child raised in a pristine white colonial with white carpet and white walls. If there was a fingerprint on the walls or a footprint on the freshly vacuumed carpet it could be traced directly to me! Fortunately, we had an unfinished basement. A cold concrete space with wood studs, but to me it was heaven: I could hang sheets and hold "Off Broadway" performances, I could build houses with cardboard furnishings I could draw racetracks on the floor for my Breyer horses.

As a mom and an interior designer I wanted to give my children the freedom I felt in that basement while still having a beautiful home. I still have some rooms that are primarily for adults, but I really design with the intention of inviting my children to feel comfortable in every space. Texture, color and function are very important in designing that comfort into my home.

As my children grew I also prioritized honoring their interests into the design of their spaces. My son who loves music, for example, has musical instruments mounted to his wall that can easily be taken down to be played. I discovered that "themed" spaces are poor substitutes for the real thing. If your child loves something like music don't decorate his room with musical notes give him the real tools he needs to create his own music.

I have one son who is easily overly stimulated, so soothing colors, soft textures and the ability to retreat are critical to his comfort. Moms know their own children best, I believe that if you take your cues from your children and how your family interacts you will create successful spaces.

1
0 0

It evolved. I learned to make things pretty and also to still be able to stand up to three kids running around the house, tracking mud in and out. I personally love a white palette and I honestly feel like it works great with kids. Everything is bleach-able!! Throw it in the wash with some bleach and no worries.

0
0 0

I definitely am more aware of the durability of the pieces I bring into my home. If it's white it needs to be easy to wipe down, if it's black it needs to be easy to dust. I also try not to get too attached to things! That's easier said than done but at any minute my favorite lamp could crush to pieces or red juice could get spilled all over my favorite pillow. That's life with kids!

0
0 0

My style has definately changed through the years. Being a mother of 2 busy & active boys our home has become more about comfort & function these days. I still love to have things around our home that are pretty, but these days those "pretty" things have meaning & a purpose and is representative of OUR life together.

0
0 0

Since becoming a mom, my decorating style has focused more on durability and style that works for all ages -- kids can be tough on furniture and finishes! I also look for furniture that can do double duty, like storage ottomans and benches.

0
0 0

The biggest change was not in my decorating style but in the way I think about my home. Ultimately, the people who live here are more important than the stuff that lives here. I want my house to be a fun place for my kids to grow up. Yes, I still display pretty things - I have a KILLER ceramic horsehead that lives right next to my son's train table and it's a miracle that it's still in tact! - but now I just try to make smart decorating choices that work for this season in my life. (We have white sofas! And they work for us!)

0
0 0

My decorating style did not change when I became a mom. During my son's toddler years, my design style became a little more kid-friendly and resilient. Now everything is back to normal...LOL!

0
0 0

The whole house had to become functional, Every inch needed to be used. Our decorations are not expensive, if something brakes no one worries.

0
0 0

My decorating style didn't change ... but the way I implemented my decorating style did! I focused in on the products and methods by which I could create chic, sophisticated homes where nothing is "hands off."

0
0 0

I think the biggest decorating change that had to happen when I became a Mom was that I had to accept that I had limits. I had limits to my time, I had a much more limited budget, and my space was limited. Motherhood has really taught me how to edit my rooms so that my guests, my kids, and myself are told how to use a room. For example, when someone walks in our front door it is clear that there is a chair to sit on while taking off their shoes. We have a sitting area, we have a media area, we have a piano area so that the many different people existing in our home can do all the things that are required of them. If you want your house to work for you, it has to be space planned thoughtful and efficiently so that you can go about running your household and living your life.

0
0 0

I had my twin daughters and then had my youngest daughter 14 months later. So to go from having no kids to 3 kids in 14 months was a big change. I love using color in rooms to provide interest, but I don't like a lot of clutter hanging around. Each room had lots of baskets and storage options to handle all of the new kid stuff we had in the house.
My girls are all teens now, and the main goal is to have things be really comfortable for all of us, with nothing off limits. Cozy places that the whole family want to hang out in together!

0
0 0

I expected having kids to change a lot of things in my life, but the effect on my family's decorating style was something I never could have anticipated. My decorating style has always been to include a lot of color. We have brightly colored walls throughout our home, for example. But when my kids were born we started learning about all of the environmental and health toxins that are often used in home decorating. So we had to shift our choices a bit. For example, if we couldn't get the absolute brightest blue paint in no-VOC, then we would choose a different color rather than compromising our values. We also started to learn about and choose VOC-free furniture, mattresses and pillows without toxic flame retardants, PVC-free wall and window coverings, and even lead-free Christmas tree lights. It has been a slow and steady transition and eventually I hope to be able to replace our couches and other large pieces with non-toxic versions as well!

0
0 0

Being a Mom of twins, once motherhood stepped in, I quickly realized nothing would be "off limits". I always want my kids to feel at home in our home. So my style stayed the same, but my approach definitely became more accommodating for all ages. The kids can be kids in every room.

0
0 0

Practicality and function took a more prominent role. Instead of just thinking about what is cool and eye-catching, you start thinking about how a room will work with kids jumping around in it.
Our styles also became a little more minimal. With kids things can clutter up very quickly. There’s something really refreshing about simplicity and open spaces. It also allows you to think more specifically about each piece.

0
0 0

When I became a mom I started looking for my furnishings to be functional. Functional without loosing their beauty. I thought more about items with drawers, creating functional bins, and attractive storage solutions. I try to keep my home looking nice and pulled together but casual.

0
4 279

I started buying durable, inexpensive furniture that are multi-functional. I love fabric-covered ottomans for storage of my son's toys and extra seating when we have guests. They are not expensive so you don't have to worry too much if they get stains, and you can we wiped down.

Once I became a mom, I started watching out for anything with sharp corners and made sure to out-gas new furniture so not to pollute our indoor air. And I bought my son an organic mattress.

Some more ideas: http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2011/12/my-dream-home-10-cool-and-creative-storage-ideas/

0
1 8

my decorating style didn't change when i became a mom. or at least it didn't change BECAUSE i became a mom. if anything, becoming a mom meant i stayed at home, which meant i was internet bound for most of the day, which meant i was looking at design all day which meant my tastes became more refined.

0
0 0

Practicality became more of a determining factor when choosing fabrics and rugs. Also furniture pieces in family spaces needed to have soft edges and offer storage solutions.

0
0 0

Actually my decorating style didn't change when I became a mom...as I have always inspired to provide a cozy, relaxed atmosphere in our home. What's most important to me is creating a home where my family enjoys being together.

0
10 22

Its evolved from being overly styled as I think more about keeping the space comfortable for the kids and nothing is "precious" - my kids can use and sit on everything. I also find I am incorporating more color than ever before into the house to keep the space bright and inspiring...I want them to love their home!

0
0 0

My style did not change. What changed is how to obtain it. That is why I love thrifting for accessories.

0
0 3

I've always believed in keeping my decor colorful and fun, but having kids in the house give you an additional excuse to be laid back and not too serious in your style. Every room should have a little sense of humor-- something unexpected that makes you smile and is unique to your family.

0
0 31

My kids {and all their stuff} were the catalyst behind the need for what I call, "functional design". While studying interior design at a local college and creating clever ways to keep my kids’ toys orderly, I had an “a-ha” moment and decided to combine the disciplines of interior design and organizing. Thus in January of 2009, I launched Simplified Bee® with the mission that homes could be orderly, without sacrificing style. I believe surrounding yourself in beautiful, organized spaces reduces stress, makes you happier and inspires healthier living.

0
0 0

After starting our family I started still wanted to keep a tidy home. So I purchased baskets and ottomans with storage. This way I could stash toys and books inside. Also I used a dresser for our television console. Always choosing furniture with lots of storage options. =)

0
0 0

My way of decorating a home, including my own, is all about the “we factor”. The moment I realized I needed to include “we” with my decorating was six years ago. My daughter was two and loved to color. I was in another room working, when I thought “I don’t hear anything.” I had the mommy feeling of “something’s up”. Well, when I walked into our family room, I found her doing some decorating of her own with a black sharpie, on herself and on “my ottoman”! I immediately tried to clean the ottoman. Leaving her with black sharpie markings all over herself! I called my husband, I was so upset that she had ruined the furniture. I heard him say, “I get it, she ruined the ottoman, but what about our daughter is she okay?” How foolish was I for being more concerned about my ottoman than my own daughter. I put her in the tub and came to the conclusion that black sharpie does not really come off with just soap and water. My husband called back, he had Googled sharpie removal and found a post that someone had about cleaning her with OFF (yes the bug repellant, deet free of course). It worked! She has managed a couple more times since then to get a hold of markers and create more art work on herself.

I had forgotten what being a kid means and that I was a Marker Girl too when I was young and really I am still one today. My house at that time was not designed with my family in mind. It was just designed! Shortly after the incident, I made the decision that I should decorate around our family’s lifestyle.

There are not only just Marker Girls of course there is Marker Boy, Marker Husband and even Marker Pet…

While we do discipline when these things happen, you just need to get a sense of humor and design your home to be able to handle the wear and tear. Since my marker girl was born I have been on a mission to design homes beautifully with family in mind. With this blog I want to share with you what I discover and find - that meets the Marker Girl test. I learned how to let my inner Marker Girl out. Trust me it’s fun!

0
0 10

When I became a mom, decorating the nursery was such a fun project and I really wanted everything to be so perfect and welcoming. Making the nursery was guilt free decorating and it was so much fun!

0