How do I arrange a sleep over for a 7 year old birthday?

Sleepovers can be big hits for birthdays, but they can take a lot of coordinating. Any advice for a mom trying to organize a sleepover for a 7 year old?

0 21

Sleepovers are the BEST! My daughter just turn 7 and had the best party , YET! I booked a room at a very nice (and new) hotel. The room had two queen beds and a pull out sofa...so there was PLENTY of room for the girls. Initially , I set up the room with decorations (balloons, banners, etc) and to make things simple I did cupcakes instead of a sheet cake (easy clean up) . We had a small 2 hour gathering poolside with a small group of family and friends (dad, brothers, grandparents, and few family friends & the girls). Luckily we live in a small town and that weekend was pretty low-key for the hotel! We had pizza, chips, juices & water (SIMPLE is the key!). We ate out by the pool...so no mess to clean up in the room! After they enjoyed the pool, we said goodbye to the extra folks and the girls ( 5 girls in all) headed to the room for a TRULY GIRLY themed party. After they showered and put on their jammies it was BRACELET MAKING TIME. I purchased a kit from Wal-Mart & it was a BIG HIT!! After making bracelets it was time for the Wii....Just Dance. This was the entertainment that had the girls wound up for the rest of the night. They had so much fun and I did not have to do any of the work.. They drifted off one by one (LOL)! Breakfast was complimentary (courtesy of the hotel) . I got the girls up and dressed for church (it was a Sat. night). We ate breakfast, I took their pictures in their pretty dresses and then gave them their goody bags to take home. Our church is just down the road from the hotel , so we were all set to go! They had fun in children's church and I only had to take 1 child home. The others were members of our church and they were delivered safe & sound to their parents at church!

8
236 7

What a great mom! How fun this sounds... :)

0 3

I am having one for an 8yr old next month, but it is a boy! We are going to Lauberge du lac resort so they can do everything! Lazy River and arcade & they love it! Plus no messy house later...

5
19 56

I am not sure how many children you are having, but the first thing to do make out your guest list, then either have a theme ex. Barbie , Turtles etc. Get your invites out, and make sure you put in the invites that it is a slumber birthday party whet time drop off, and what time pick up is the next day. Also, make your menu out, and mention that in the invitation on a seperate piece of paper, in case their is any food allergies. As the party approaches, make sure that your house is clean, i did not allow any children in my daughters room, the only room they were allowed in was the living room, kitchen, outside, and basement. Plan games, you can pick up great inexpensive craft kits at Michaels, for boy parties they may want more games. I also made a butterfly cake, all you need are either 2 heart shaped pans or 2 round pans and you can make your own cake. Thats if you want to keep your cost down. When the guests arrive I quickly talked with each parent, and made sure i had an emergency contact. Then when I started the party I quickly had everyone sit down in a circle and listen to the rules of the house. Then they were allowed play time for about 45 minutes then we sat down at the table and decided what kind of pizza we wanted. I had face paiting for the girls, glow sticks, this last birthday party I only had 6, and we all went to Michaels for a crafty class. They are reasonable, the girls made a build a bear, everything turned out very cute. After we made the bears, we came home ate, and then planted their sleeping stuff in the living room, then they picked out there movies, and i made popcorn (got the popcorn that turned blue)
It was a great and successful party, there are alot of ideas out there but it is each to your own. Good luck!

2
0 0

Had one for my 6yr old daughter this year....yes....6 yr old!!! I was brave!!! We went horseback riding & came back to the house & played "horse" inspired games....horse races with the horses on a stick, horseshoes, horse pinata. It was hot so they also brought their bathing suits & we put up a water slide. Then pizza, cake & presents! Ended up with 6 spending the night...put in a "horse" movie...Racing Stripes in her playroom & they all lined up their sleeping bags & had popcorn! They were really cute! Then it was potty...brush teeth...in your sleeping bags....but they did stay up until after midnight giggling & having fun! Fixed them waffles in the morning & moms picked up around 10! It was a little crazy but all had fun! WHEW!!!

2
7 5

I am getting ready for one with my 8yr old daughter. We are going to Incredible Pizza, which is like Chuck E. Cheese with games and food, and then home for sleepover fun. Figure a movie and treats and let them have their girlie time. We are limiting it to 2 extra girls so we can keep an eye on them while at the pizza place and to save my sanity :)

2
0 6

We hosted a sleepover for my daughter's 7th birthday party this winter, and it was a huge hit - we actually started a trend! We worded the invitation that the party would go from 7-9:30 and that the girls had the option to sleep over, but we had them arrive in PJ's and bring their sleeping bags and their 'special' teddy bear/doll. I cleared out my family room and we laid out all their sleeping bags across the floor and I put my daughters Barbie house (she got it for her birthday - not the plastic, one, this is sturdy and HUGE and was about $100 at Toys R Us) at one end of the floor with a huge bin of Barbie toys (and girls gave her new which we opened and let them play with right then and there) and at the other end of the room I had a snack table (chips, pretzels, veggies, fruit with dip, and cupcakes). We started the night with each girl introducing themselves and their special doll. Then we sang "Happy Birthday" and did presents. I gave each girl a goodie bag which contained some mini nail polish and lip gloss, tattoos and stickers (bought at 5 Below) and then the girls were left to play on their own. I was grateful that my teenage daughter and another mom hung around to help - all the girls wanted their nails polished and needed help opening my daughter's new toys, so we set to work at that, then I guided a small group through how to paint their own fingernails and toenails (we worked over paper towels to protect sleepingbags/pillows/clothes). It was cute watching them trying to focus on painting their little toenails. Once my salon services were no longer needed, I went about trying to clean up and gather their belongings so they were ready for pick up (only three of the 18 actually slept over - thanfully!!) and they enjoyed just playing and beautifying and we had a movie playing in the background that some were watchng... it seems a bit crazy, but the girls had a great time and it went very smoothly... drop off and pick up were the only headache because we had a snowstorm so our normally wide driveway was only partially shoveled out - causing a slight traffic jam out in front of our house... parents were good about staggering the pick up at 9:30. The three who slept over played a bit more and then I put on a movie for them at 10:30 and turned everythign out when it was over.... no they didn't sleep until after midnight, but it was sweet to hear my little girl giggling with her friends. Thankfully, we all slept in a bit the next morning and parents picked up at 10 am, which worked out nicely. Make sure you have a plan for any girls who are early risers, though.

Jennie

2
201 20

That sounds like an awesome idea.

7 12

i would keep it simple. hair styling, nails, maybe a jammy fashion show. Pizza, popcorn and a movie. then lights out. Im sure they will giggle until they fall asleep. maybe give them an option to go home at like 10 in case they decide to. in the morning, maybe a waffle bar with whipped cream and fruit, chocolate chips maybe. then your done! I am going to have one for my daughters 9th I think. I love the idea that you contact the parents and dont tell the kids, then drive to the house and "kidnap" the kids. might be a little too young for that!
OMG!!!!!! (you'll hear alot of that!) I am just assuming you mean for a girl!

2
439 0

Limit the number of kids....I would do No more than 7-10 depending on their little friends..

Plan the activities...get a few ideas (if they have any) from the child.

Plan the food.

Plan the emergency procedures..go over everything with the kids..takes a few mins..

Plan the rules..go over them with the kids..what can get you sent home...takes a few mins..

Be sure the kids know what to bring.. put items in the invitation...

Have a start time and an end time...

Ensure parents know when to pick up their kids...

You can have parents bathe kids before they come..that evening...and show up in pajamas...

etc....just thinking of what I would do..

My baby is only 2 and i'm 5mths preg so i'm not there yet....but I have had a few of my own when I was little and this is sort of how my mom did it.

1
0 0

My 8 year old daughter just had a sleepover! we held it in our downstairs room with plenty of room for the girls to spread out! we planned a lot of games and activities and even hired a face painter! that was a big hit with the girls, also we rented out a bouncer! we got them from bounce wow in the tri-county flea market. they were so nice and accommodating, we got some balloons from them as well and they delivered and set them up. i would definitely recommend them for any party! it makes the day extra special and memorable. good luck with your party! :)

1
19 11

My daughter hosted her 9th birthday slumber party last year. I was nervous, but it went so smoothly and was so easy. I don't know how big your house is, but I think it helps to keep a pretty small guest list for this kind of event. Plan on where they can be accommodated most comfortably. We are fortunate have a finished basement with lots of floor space. This is a bonus twice over - they feel they're in their own space, and you get some peace and quiet.) My daughter invited five girls. They arrived in time for supper (but you could have them come a little later if you wanted to do cake only) and I had ordered pizza delivery - so easy. After that they did presents and got their jammies on (our invite stipulated that they'd need their sleeping bag and a pillow and pjs). One of our favors was a toothbrush/mini toothpaste set. Then it was movie time. By the time that was done, it was almost lights-out, but of course they were up playing silly games (Twister, light-as-a-feather) for awhile. When I finally put out the lights, I made sure they all knew the fastest route to the loo, and made sure there was sufficient night lights to get them up and down the stairs safely. Only once did I need to ask them to quiet down, and they slept thru the night. They awoke around 7:30-8, and I had instructed my daughter to come get me when they were up. I made nutella croissants and served with fresh berries and tea and juice. Pick-up was scheduled for 11am, so they could lounge a bit before packing up. It was a big success, and easier than I thought it would be. Good luck!

1
5 8

I would make the sleepover for same sex children only. The party could be co-ed, but the sleepover all girls (or boys if you have a son). I would keep them all in one central room, like sleeping bags on the living room floor, & I would sleep on the couch. Have to watch & make sure everyone behaves. Maybe let them watch a late evening movie to fall asleep to. That's my suggestion anyway.

1
0 28

We had one for my 7 year old daughter last october. I bought some plain white t-shirts and a tie-dye kit from walmart and we made shirts as soon as the girls were dropped off( 630ish). I just googled Tie-Dye designs and there are tons of help websites. I put plastic on long tables in my kitchen so the girls could do it themselves then I let them hang dry overnight. The girls then had pizza, cake, ice cream and my daughter opened presents. After presents we played Twister (hilarious!!) and then we set our Wii up and the girls played Just Dance. After that I didnt have to plan anything:) Just Dance went on until about 11pm and then it was time to lay down and watch movies...my daughter picked camp rock and beauty and the beast. The girls woke up, ate breakfast (cereal and donuts with juice) and then I gave them permanent markers to decorate and have their friends sign their tie-dye shirts. I was actually pretty lucky, there were NO fights and I didn't have to yell at them at all. We had about 15 girls but I would recommend sticking to about 4 or 5!

1
0 20

I threw surprise sleepovers for both my girls when they turned 7 (after the second one, my son began planning his 7th b-day sleepover). I found some inexpensive craft project kits from S&S worldwide and/or Oriental Trading, we watched a movie (the titles of which I pre-screened with the parents so as not to make anything uncomfortable), ate dinner (which was the choice of the birthday girl), had popcorn, and fixed a light breakfast (cinnamon rolls or doughnuts). And in neither case were they expecting anything. (my husband took the other kids out for dinner and a movie). The parties were small -- 5-7 invitees, and both times at least one child elected to leave early.

1
0 20

Themes: Army; GI Joe; Halo; water gun fights and $ store bow and arrows with compasses and dog tags; camo face paint; arts crafts-decorate old t-shirts with stars for General/Captain status; green dye in soda and milk; mac N cheese or pizza-; card playing-UNO; checkers; video games and a good movie-star wars is always popular. Try to have an even number for teams and buddy games. Ask about allergies and have everyone's contact number by your phone. Good luck and have fun.

1
51 36

Plan an after dinner drop off, like 7 or 8 pm. Have birthday celebrations with desserts. We have boys, so they entertain themselves pretty well, but you could do a few games, video game tournaments, etc. Whenever you want them to settle down, schedule a movie to start with everyone in pj, sleeping bags, pillows setup. After the movie, it's lights out. Plan an early pick up, like 9 am. At our last sleepover, the boys were back up at 6 am playing games!!

1
0 16

I had my son's sleepover with 8 boys last year when he turned 12! That was my first. It was hectic. My daughter is turning 9 in August and she wants to have 6 friends over.....hers will be different as she has the weekend planned out already. But love some ideas above which can be incorporated.

1

well they can play doll baby and have tea party's.
And do karackoke that's what i did when i was 7.

0
207 0

Keep it to just a few children! Have lots of games planned and lots of healthy snacks!
A game I have played with groups is "Indoor Snowball Battle" Divide group into two teams. Use masking tape to divide the room - Use two lines of masking tape separated by about 3-4 feet (so the kids cant smack someone on the other team when throwing) Team one behind the first line, team two behind second line...space in the middle is neutral. Give each team lots of newspaper, or tissue paper. Give each team three minutes to make the paper into "snowballs". Then countdown to start the snowball battle. Kids just whip the paper balls at the other side. When time is up everyone has to freeze. Then count the paper balls on each side the team with the fewest balls on their side wins. Have them throw balls into garbage can when counting.
Also this game is super fun http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043IE... for a group of 7 year olds

0
2 43

Do the children take a shower/ bath in the morning and go home??

0
19 11

We skipped the bath shower altogether. It won't hurt to skip that for one night.

89 2

good luck - coordinate with the other mums for the kids to bring a pillow and doona or put it on the invite - have some interesting things for them to do like fixing each other's hair or nail polishing, rent some dvd's, bake some popcorn and pop them into the loungroom - expect that they will not go to sleep b4 12pm...............

0
4 9

WOW, not sure what to say. You must live in an area where people know your family well. I dont, so when I planned it fot my daughter people called me last minute and stated their kids could cone but would end up picking them up by 10pm cause they decided they were not comfortable having their daughters stay over anywhere yet and that was her 8Th party. On the west coast people are different, but I was pretty upset because I ended up providing a friday night babysitting service for free, oh no wait I paid to provide it! I would confirm thesleepover arrangements before planning activities.

0
76 32

best bit of advice you'll get...don't let them play in your kids bedroom! they go in the lounge, or outside. xx

0
0 20

We just had a sleepover party for our daughter's 7th too! Booked two connecting 1-bedroom suites at a beautiful area resort and got a steaply discounted local last minute rate. We had 7 girls and 2 adults and between the king size beds and sleeper sofas everyone had a comfy place to sleep. With the pool and all it was not hard to fill the 24 hours of birthday party. The units had a small kitchenette so we brought in food and had pick-nicks on the patio and poolside. We did paint toe nails too. And they sang and danced, oh sorry they "performed" on the small poolside stage for other guests too haha. It was the best! And no mess to clean @ home ;) Ofcourse you need to have a nice resort in your area to do this...

0