How do I get my daughter to tell me when she needs to go potty?

One of the first steps of potty training is to help your child recognize when she needs to go potty, before she goes. How do you get your daughter to tell you when she needs to use the potty?

3 35

Ok! My daughter just turned 2 last Tuesday (June14th) and she has been potty trained since she was 18 months old. I thought it was SUPER easy, but they say that girls always are easier. I was VERY "on top" of all the aspects of learning to potty train! 1. Be sure to monitor intake! I would only give my daughter a certain amount of juice or milk (noting that juice made her pee pee more frequently) and about 20 mins after having the liquid, I would KNOW that she would have to go to the potty so we made it a routine...I didn't ask her if she had to go....I simply told her we were going to the potty! And at first, I would potty with her so that she would know that "big girl" pee pee in the potty and we talked about the other but I was more focused on "pee pee" in the beginning. Once she successfully used the potty, I made a big production about it! Praised her, gave her a sticker or a little dum dum lollipop, just anything to let her know that she had done a great thing! (and I DO NOT let my child have tons of candy, so it was a BIG reward to get something like that for her) It only took her about 2 weeks to catch on and we have been successful ever since. I did also continue to use pull ups ONLY at nap time and bedtime...the rest of the time, she wore normal panites, because I am a firm believer the using pull ups is really no different than using pampers. We used pull ups until she was successfully dry for several weeks and very well into the pottying routine before I started working with her on holding it all night and during nap time. So far, we have not had any night time accidents but we did have a few in the beginning during nap time. I always make her at least try to go before nap or bed time. I really hope this helps! Good Luck on your adventures! Oh!!! And when we first started potty training, I kept her potty in her room, where HER things were, where, if she was playing and the urge hit her, she could have the potty readily available...I think that REALLY helped! Again- good luck :)

15
11 23

She will go when she is ready. One sign that she is ready is that she will have dry diaper in the morning. Take her every two hours in between meals and 10-15 minutes after meals since her bladder is small. They also have a potty training pull-up pack at walmart for 25 bucks. It has a dvd and a watch in it that she can wear that will tell her when it is time to go. You can even record your voice. Hope that is helpful.

10
16 0

My little boy has watched mommy & daddy use the big potty since he was old enough to crawl after us into the bathroom. We would let him flush for us from the time he could reach the handle & praise him for it. He is now 26 months old & we got one of those musical potty chairs that makes music when he pees. He loves that. When he is done, I pour it into the big potty & he flushes as I rinse it out in the sink. Then we wash hands together. He loves playing in the water so that is his reward along with the praise instead of stickers or food or candy. He can wash his hands for several minutes. We are taking it slow. I ask him if he wants to go potty & if he says no I don't force the issue. He says yes most of the time & tries really hard. We smile & wait for the music.

3
10 4

i was hoping for some profound idea because my daughter and i are struggling in this area. She is just too busy to go. She will do the potty dance (legs crossed squatting) for a long time and then ends up peeing her pants. If i see her doing the potty dance i will say Sierra do u have some business to take care of and she will say oh yes and run to the potty and be dry. However if i tell her to go potty she will say "I do not have to go" and then we have a power struggle and it results in her soaking her pants. If i do not say anything and wait for her....she will pee her pants (just a little) and then go on the potty herself. She does much better if she is naked she will actually run by herself to the potty before dibbling but i can't keep the kid naked all the time.

3
1 15

Im having the same problem with my 4 year old daughter. Some nights she is dry, others she is not...no matter what time i stop her liquid intake at night and no matter how much i make her use the potty before bed....sometimes shes still wet. During the day...sometimes she just doesnt even bother....today i made her go in the bathroom to go potty, she came out, sat down at the table for lunch and 5 minutes later had peed on herself. She fights and argues when i force her to go in the bathroom and on those occasions i have ot go with her to make sure she goes, otherwise she will lie and say she did when she didnt. Im at my wits end here! Shes supposed to be starting school in a month and cannot if shes not potty trianed. this has been going on since january. She has up periods where she does really well, then down periods where shes peeing everywhere all the time :(

36 27

I used to ask DaKotah if she had to go potty like every 20mins for the first month of potty training, now she comes and tells me when she has to go. And she always gets a reward for going potty. Her favorite thing is pickles so I started rewarding her with a pickle every time she went potty and we still do that and its been over a month with no accidents at all

3
6 38

That's good to hear, my daughter is 2 (may 21) And we've been potty training for almost 3 weeks now. She'll go if I tell her to and she'll tell me when she needs to go #2 but for #1 she wont tell me and if I'm not on her case all the time we have accidents. How old was your daughter when you trained her?

2 10

It took my daughter exactly one year to tell me..id always set the buzzer for every 30-45 min and sometimes tight b4 the buzzer shed tinkle..clearly my daughter liked this last piece of control she had over me..she knew i wanted to be done with this..dhe was tall so looked a lot older than she actually was which didnt help bc sometime id get that stare and my daughter was potty trained b4 she turned 3 y a longshot!! so dont rush is what my dr said they tell you when they are ready and boy is that true..one day out of the blue my daughter went running from our master bedroom to the bath and i said hey where you heading she said "i need to tinkle.." th music played..this was what i had been waitng for,,for her to recognize she needed to go not for me to tell her or set the buzzer..diapers and pull ups keep our children dry,..if you want it to go quicker- take away all these tools...put potty pants on and let her wet them-they need to be wet and feel wet and uncomfortable to realize they need to go to the potty and tell you when they need to go!! ( try to keep her off the carpet)..bc its no fun to clean and you def will clean atleat a few times.. LOL!!! good luck and dont rush it will happen all in her time..when shes ready...we are always ready..but they have to get ready,,,,make sense?

2
1 15

my daughter doesnt seem to care about being wet :( theres been times she has peed on herself outside, and not said anything :( Or she will go change her clothes and not tell anyone she peed herself :( we have been struggling with potty training for quite some time now and she just does not seem to care in the least about it

4 10

I bought one of those cute little pink potty training chairs and my daughter hated it. HOWEVER, she thought it was the neatest thing to stand on it (it doubled as a stool when the lid folded down, those little $20 ones from WMart) and sit on the big toilet all by herself. So, I bought one of those toilet rings (if that's what they're called; the toilet seat topper) for her and she still uses the stool & the toilet ring "so I won't fall into the potty" she says. She's 3-1/2. Although she's completely potty trained, she still waits until the last minute to go racing to the bathroom if she's playing. And she still wears a pullup at night in case of an accident. A friend's little boy was 3-1/2 and still doing "both" businesses in his pullup and absolutely refused to use the toilet in any way, shape or form. My girlfriend was pulling her hair out! All of a sudden, out of the blue, overnight, he decided he was ready. Within 2 months he wasn't even in a pullup at night. Don't be discouraged if things seem slow. Every kid is different. They all click sooner or later.

2
28 9

We started around 18 months at the same time every day (when stripping off to get into the bath), to get her used to the idea of the potty and to get her into a routine. The first couple of wees' were accidental, but she was applauded and hi fived and love the praise and attention. She soon began to tell me when she was doing a wee in her nappy, so I figured, next step was to go more regularly.
We opted for keeping the potty near at all times and going every half an hour or so... and had a fair bit of success. She didn't like the idea of doing poos' on the potty, but I wouldn't pop a nappy back on just for a poo, so in the end she would have to sit down on the potty.
She can now hold for 3 or so hours, and is dry through the night. I am yet to take her nappy off at night though....
All the best! It really does help though, if they can tell you they are doing something (in their nappy that is).

2
3 12

My daughter is 2 yrs 8 months and we started earlier this year. For awhile we tried with the potty seat, with no luck. She would cry and refuse to sit on it as a potty. SHe would use it as a chair. When we started putting her on the big toilet she became more interested and her daycare had a tiny toilet for kids her age. She loves going on the big toilet. At first I just kept asking and would put her on the toilet every morning when I knew she would have to go. Then her dad left her pamperless one day in a little dress and explained to her that if she had to go, to tell him and he'd put her on the potty. She has had a few accident here and there but most of the time she will go in the toilet because she doesnt want to go on herself. She will often go by herself or may just ask us to help with her pants or pullups(when she has those on). I normally try to only use pampers/pullups if we are going out and will not be near a toilet the whole time.

1
14 10

My daughter Chloe just turned 2 at the end of May. Right before her birthday I put her on the potty until she peed. It took 2 hours but I needed her to know what I was asking for. Once she knew it was great. I put her on every 20 minutes then went one hour now we are up to 2 plus hours. Never one day did she wear pull ups or training pants. I used regular girl panties. She likes Minnie Mouse so that is what we got. It took two days til she was day trained and four for night and day. She is happier and so are mommy and daddy. I hope this works. :). Good luck!

1
15 36

That's awesome Stacey, My daughter turned 2 on the 4th of May, don't want to push her if she isn't ready but she's grabbing herself & saying Peed she knows. I guess I just need to try what u did when she's not in daycare so I can work with her 4-5 days straight. I already purchased her a seven day pack from children's place with Monkeys & days of the week! lol! Tomorrow I will get the potty seat for the toliet & go from there, thanks for your advice, I know if I take the time to work with her everyday for hrs she will get it but she takes 2 hr naps where she goes in a pull up so what would I do than? Keep her in it for nap then resume every 20mins & eventually she'll get it??? Tired of washing her crib sheets & blankets cuz she's taking off her diapers during the night & wetting the bed!:( I believe it's time:)

8 7

My experience as a preschool teacher, at first i would ask the child if he/she needed to go to the potty every 15mins. But i would also often remind the child that if he/she needs to go the potty can always let us know. It may take a while but the child will get the idea and start telling when she needs to go.

1
1

My daughter is doing pretty good at Peeing on the potty unless she has had too much juice then she will usually pee & then 10 mins later have an accident...but it's the poo part we are having a hard time with. Her Grandma watches her during the day while I am at work & now wants me to go buy some diapers...which upsets me. I haven't bought any diapers in 2 mo. & she is now going with nothing at night time too; for 2 weeks now with only 2 accidents. I just don't know what to do, it's so frustrating! Wish I could just be with her all day & not worry about someone else helping in the potty training area! But that's not the way life works...any advise on how to get your little one to poo on the potty would be great!! My daughter is 28 mo. now..

0
0 0

HELP! My 22 month old daughter is on day 5 for potty training and we have not had any progress. We tried the straight to panties mode and she doesnt like to be wet. She does realizes when she has to pee but she will go pee somewhere else. Lately she has been holding it in for almost 4 hours. I know she has to pee so we sit on the potty and she holds it so its close to an hour were sitting on it..but she holds it on. then she walks away then she pees. How long do I keep her on the potty for? If I give her breaks its hard to get her to stay back on. Any advice? Its very frustrating... but I don't want to quit! She uses pulls ups at night though.

0
0 15

sh refuse use a pottyand how tell me trying explain to her learning how trainng potty

0
216 0

I don't have any girls but I think the signs are the same.
I look for them holding themselves or doing the little pee pee dance.
I ask them every half an hour or so if they want to use the potty. I don't push it, I tell them if they want to that's okay and if they don't that's okay as well.

0
99 5

You must let her pick out her first pairs of underwear try the days of the week. they like that then tell her she can wear them when she goes in the potty.

0
99 5

pull ups are not good it lets them think they can go potty in their underwear. Confusing diapers or underwear they want to be grown up. The underwear is so pretty so they would want to go potty in the toilet.

0 0

I was tryin to get my baby to take my to the potty when she wants to use it

0
0 1

I have been potty training my daughter since she was 18 months old. We have tried a musical potty, a potty seat, lots of praise, stickers, candy, and the promise of a bike when she is fully potty trained and nothing has worked. She is now 3.5 and she won't tell me when she has to go although she is very good about going when I put her on myself. She refuses to poop in the potty however. When in panties she wets herself and since we are renting with carpets it makes life a bit more difficult for me. She is dry overnight about 4 times per week. I thought when she started daycare with other children, just before her 3rd birthday, the peer pressure may help but nothing. I am at a loss as I feel like I have tried everything. Do I just have faith that she will eventually one day magically master the potty?

0
3 0

Cheryl, I'm having the exact same problem with my daughter at the exact same age.... how did things work out, and how did you handle it? I'm getting desperate! Thanks!

13 16

My husband and I just emphasized with our daughter that she needed to tell us when she needed to go potty. We got her some training pants that made the the stars disappear on the front when she's wet, and that was a big thing. Plus, we made sure she knew what wet and dirty diapers feel like for an extended period of time and that it's not pleasant.

A BIG thing that helped us just recently was switching her to panties during the day. She doesn't want to get them wet, so she's a little more apt to tell us, though we have one or two accidents a week--some bad, some not so bad. We're hit and miss on overnight dryness--and I think the overnight part is going to be the hardest.

Keep in mind that any changes--vacations, new baby, moves--can affect potty training. We started my daughter before she turned two, but we had a new baby, a vacation, a move, then baby in the hospital multiple times, and finally a more recent move (again), and now that things are settled down (and she's 3!) she's finally catching on.

0
2 6

i have a 2 yr girl and potty training for a while. it was only me going to school and potty training her. my hubby was at home with her while i was at school and i didn't get much help from him. so when he was at work, her and i would work on it but she relapsed back n to diapers twice. now she almost 3 (Feb 12) we've just been letting her run around naked around the house (since i graduated 8/11) some times shell tell us she has to go and when she does we've yeah her and tell her to give us fives for a while we did candy to start with the yeahs and hi fives now she just goes and then tells us she went poopy. (everything that has to do with the potty even peeing is poopy. im trying to teach her the difference.) we've done the whole pull up thing and is just like a diaper we have a brand new pack just sitting n our closet. some time when we put her in undies she pees in them too so we r still working on that part but when we go some where i try to get her to pee b4 we leave (except on long trips/outing well use pull ups) and i put undies on her then when we get to where we where going i ask her and take her to the bath and try to go potty. her sign for when she has to go most of the time is when she is holding herself. when i put undies on her i tell her not to pee/go potty on the flowers sometimes it works and other times it dont. we need to invest in dora or super why undies and maybe shell do better. we let her sleep naked and she dont pee through the night or naps we've only had 3 slip ups and 2 of them was when she was in undies and the other she was so doing to something she didnt notice she had to go. when she plays out front shell let me know or try to get inside. when she plays outside i make her ware undies. well i hope this helps some

0
21 6

At what age do you start potty training?

0
56 21

my little one has just turned 2 and is potty trained, and I know when she needs to go as she tugs my clothes or does the potty dance holding her bits (very cute) but most of the time she just sorts herself out including going to the adult toilet (she puts her stool out toilet seat on and goes). although it can take prompting sometime to get her to do a poo, she knows its there but she doesnt like doing it if you know what i mean...

for us it was easy we took her out of nappys permamently as to her a nappy was a walking toilet, then showed her the potty and told her its what big girls do, Embarassingly I even went as far to use it (to her enjoyment) she did sulk abit but it worked and now there has been no going back since. Also I found a good incentive was her vey own knickers, (minnie mouse ones) which made her feel grown up and she didnt like the idea of getting them wet.

good luck

0
1 85

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc?page=1 I just did this with my 15 month old. It's day five, and, while she loves to go naked, she does very well in panties the last two days. I'm still using pull-ups at nap and bedtime, but even when we are away from home as we were the last two days, she is in panties. I was skeptical, but it definitely worked for us! We introduced the potty, though, when she was able to sit unassisted at 5 months. She didn't use it often, but she was used to it. She's also gone with us since she could walk at 9 months because she followed us to the bathroom.

Don't push is on her to the point that it becomes a traumatic thing, but don't ask if she needs to go, just tell her it's time to go. Giving the option to say no usually always results in a no at any age... Them verbally telling you...well, that comes with time even after they know to go in the potty.

0
8 0

Our little girl Chloe learned how to do pee pee in the potty at just before 2 years old, but the poos took a lot longer! She's now fine with both, and is dry at night (she wakes us up when she needs to go on the potty), but we do help by always putting her on the potty before nap time and before going out. We also remind her when she shows signs of needing to go. Sometimes she'll answer 'no' when we ask her if she needs to go, but next minute she'll either say 'wee wee' or 'toilet' and then go to the potty herself. She had one accident (pee) 3 weeks ago, when we had just got home from being away and she was over excited at seeing our cats again, so forgot about it, but there hasn't been a repeat of that. So changes of routine do make a difference.

0
16 24

When It came to potty train our daughter, she chose to start right after her 2nd birthday. We tried to figure out what kind of que she could give us to let us know that she had to go. One of her favorite shows on tv was "upside down show" on nick jr. On the show every room has something going on. So we starting calling it the potty room. She has been out of diapers since she was 2yrs and 1 month and is now almost 3 (next month) and still calles if potty room. If she has to go she announces "potty room".

0
103 88

I had my kids potty trained in 2 weeks with only 3 accidents each since then (one is almost 4 and the other just turned 5).

I potty trained my son and my daughter at the same time. My son had just turned 3 and my daughter was 22 months old. I decided to wait until my son was almost 3 because he had speech problems (he was born tongue-tied and had just stareted speech therapy at 2 after he had surgery to fix it) and I wanted him to be able to tell me that he had to go potty. The first thing we did was throw out all the diapers and get a ring for my son to go on the big potty since he could get up there on his own and a kiddie potty for my daughter since she wasn't tall enough to get on the potty on her own yet. We showed them how to use it and told them that they had to tell us when they needed to go but we also made sure that we asked them every 15 minutes at first (for a few days), then every 30 (for a few days also), and then every hour (for a few days as well). I think they got so sick of us asking that they decided to start telling us on their own so we wouldn't ask.

We did everything we could to help them; they watched us go potty from the time they were very little, they watched a couple of videos about potty training (even before they were ready and we started training them), and we read books with them about potty training. It was not a big deal at all! I think if you make it a big deal and are apprehensive about it then they will sense that and they will be worried about it. My BIGGEST piece of advice though is DO NOT buy them pull-ups, in my opinion this just confuses them. I mean think about it, if you are telling them that they need to go potty on the big boy/girl potty and then putting pull-ups (which feel like diapers to them) on them then you are sending them mixed messages. The very first thing we did was buy them underwear and let them choose it (they are less likely to make a mess in it if they like it and think it's pretty or cool), the second thing we did was buy those plastic covers that you can put over their underwear. When we would go places we would put the plastic covers over their underwear (make sure you bring a couple of changes of clothes with you everywhere you go) and when we were at home we didn't. It's a little messy but if you do this the messes only last for a couple of days, kids hate the feeling of pooh or pee running down their leg or sticking to their back especially in underwear, it's a whole different feeling than a diaper and it's cold.

Don't make them feel bad or ashamed for having an accident, tell them it's okay and that it's just an accident. If you make them feel bad for it then it will take longer and they won't feel as confidant in themselves. We potty trained our kids and a couple of weeks later drove 15 hours to OH for my sisters wedding, our daughter was the only one who had an accident and she only peed. They did a great job and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. My hubby actually did a great job with them as well and with helping me with it and I think if present a united front to your children then they will be more likely to do well also. I also think if you try and potty train them to early it will be detrimental to them. You need to wait until they are ready, they will show you signs and you will know when your child is ready. If they want to flush the potty after you go or if they try and if they tell you they need their diaper changed then they are probably ready for it.

You are their parent and only you know what is best for your child and for your family, do what is right for you. However, this is what worked for my family and I think that if you only take one thing away from what I have said that one thing should be put them in underwear right away, do not use pull-ups, even at night, their are plastic mattress protectors that you can buy even at Wal-Mart for every size of bed (our kids sleep on full size beds and have since they got out of their cribs) and even if you have to do laundry every single day for two weeks it is so worth it to not have to buy diapers anymore. : - )

0
2 12

Out of curiosity, how did you handle overnight?

25 34

Explain to her what it feels like (tingling) when you have to pee. Then, as other people have suggested, ask her "do you need to go potty?". Also, I recommend taking her with you when you have to go. Say aloud "I have to go to the bathroom/restroom/potty, let's go together". This way whether she feels like she has to go or not, she will get into the habit of going to the bathroom.

I did this with my daughter and almost immediately she would look at me and then say "I have to go to the potty" and take off for the bathroom. She just started realizing that when I feel a certain way it means I have to go potty.

0
13 32

Hi all,
For us, my daughter is a week shy of being two. What has worked the best is getting her to sit and then giving an M&M (she doesn't get much junk food, it's rare). She'll chew the MM up, and if she pees, then she knows she gets another. So far, in 3 days, she's pottied once the first day, 3 times the second day, skipped the third day because Daddy took over, and twice for Daddy on the fourth day; so I'd say it's going well. She doesn't tell us she has to go, but I make her try at least every 30 minutes. Still diaper for naps and bed, but that will come with time. No poop yet but hopefully soon.
Also, a hint for if you're going somewhere. Keep either a toilet seat in your vehicle or a potty seat (from a friend hat has 3 boys). She said this worked wonders, stop every 30 minutes and try. That's all, but try not to get frustrated, she started sitting on the potty and "practicing" at 18 months and it's just now starting to work. It takes lots of time!

0
58 0

my 19 year old step son gave me for christmas a little booked called "the idiots guide to potty training". Lots of useful commonsense tips that you go "o yeahhhh" to, and little case studies. One little boy had a break through when he got/picked a batch of undies with his favourite super hero/character- he didn't want to pee on them!! It deals a lot with reluctant potty-er's, or those who have to stop and re-assess.

My point being - there could be lots of reasons she 'isnt' telling you, not just linguistic.

We started out by catching pee [boys!] in the potty in the bath and moved up to sitting on the potty in the bath. Must have been doing that for a few months now and as of last week/turning 2.5 its time to ramp it up a bit..

With mine - every time we have a nappy off sessions, we re-iterate what he should do if he needs to use the potty - you could customise that to your own requirements. We've made it a happy war cry "Potttteeeeeeeee" and have an Ikea $4.95 potty on every level of our 3 story house and one at my mums :-) The only recent pee accident was when I forgot to do the "affirmation of process" step..

He also frightened himself silly doing his first major poo on the potty and became quite scared of doing one that way, and frightened/fascinated by where things go down the toilet - all in the book as perfectly normal. So we are very relaxed about it but its early days. I am also showing him the contents of his nappy as it turns out he had no idea what was in there - that seems to be helping. He wants to see/put the poo down the toilet [loves flushing] but I have explained he has to do it in the potty first. He is also interested in where the pee in the nappy goes - have explained its like the milk in his ceral bowl - its all soaked in. This he now tells me regularly...

Thanks everyone for your feedback and ideas, I've also found them helpful.

o, the book was a Xmas gift given I have a {now} 2.5 year old boy :-)

0
21 19

My son started potty training last year but then lost interest so we are starting again about a week ago. He already tells me when he has to go #2 but he doesn't want to go on the potty at all. He prefers to go into his room with his diaper on. I figure that will take a while. For pee, sometimes, he will tell me that he just went in his diaper and he needs a new clean diaper. Sometimes if I ask him he will say he needs to go on the potty, but I usually have to ask him. We have a reward system where he gets to pick out a toy from a tub of toys if he goes potty on the potty chair. He also gets to choose if he goes on his little one or on the big potty (with a seat for him). He has a BIG toy reward that he wants but it's reserved for #2 on the potty chair so whenever he asks me for it I say he has to go poopy on the potty first.
Any other suggestions for a boy? We tried a sticker chart and that did not work at all, but the toys do sometimes. He will turn 3 in sept and I know he is ready and has been for a while, but it's just motivating him to at least tell me. When he does go I like to show him I'm really excited that he went and I always tell him that I am SO PROUD of him and he likes that a lot too.

0
0 0

I have 2 girls one just turned 3 a few weeks ago and the other is 3 months old. The 3 year old WAS doing good with #1 in her potty but she REFUSES to go #2. Now that the baby is here its gone downhill fast. she used to love to be the "big girl on the big girl potty" now that she sees how fun it is to be a baby she starts talking baby talk and the potty is the last thing she wants to see. I admit though I am to blame for not being able to give her all the attention she needs to learn, I'm a single mom and i just don't have enough arms to feed a newborn and help a 3 year old at the same time. If anyone could please help i want to get her into daycare but i want her potty trained first, i'm not sure how i feel about a stranger potty training her. I have tried bribing her with everything from a trip to the movies to candy to new toys i just don't know what to do

23 0

I found it helpful if my son didn't HAVE to ask me to go at least for the first little bit. He was definitely ready but was not saying a whole lot. We stayed home for 2 weeks. He ran around without a diaper or underwear on and the little potty was always right there in the room or outside in the backyard. The first few times he went in the potty he never told me, I'd just find pee in the little potty. I think part of it for him in the beginning was that when he finally felt that he needed to go there probably wasn't enough time to process 'I have to go get mom' actually find me and get to the potty. After a while of getting what it means to pee on the potty and hearing us say those words they come up with a way to let us know.

0
27 25

My daughter is 2 years, 8 months. We have been potty training for 4 months now. She has almost always told us she when she needs to poo, so no problems there. With pee, it's a mix. Sometimes she says she has to go, which is great. Other times, an adult makes her go b/c we know it's time (2, 3, 4 hours have passed!). Almost always, she says she doesn't have to go, but when she gets on the toilet, she almost always *does* pee, go figure. I have resorted to 4 tactics: a) "You don't want to have an accident, do you? b) "Here, which {name a toy} do you want to take in to the potty with you?" c) I just carry her there or ask her "Do you want to walk to the bathroom or should I carry you?" and she walks b/c she wants to do everything herself, and when I'm desperate, d) you can have a piece of chocolate! I know (d) is not the best parenting but it's only a few raisinets, and I only really need that trick once a week or less. That gets her *on* the potty. To actually pee, if it doesn't come right away, sometimes we read from a magazine, sing, or make silly small talk, and other times when I know there's pee but it's not coming out, I tell her to look at my face, relax and concentrate, and try not to distract her with stories and talking. We also just started a reward jar. Every morning that she gets up and pees without arguing (b/c she "never" has to pee in the morning, right), and every day that she doesn't have an accident, she can put a piece of dried pasta in a bottle, and when it reaches a certain height, she can have a party with cake. (I think the party will fall near her 3rd birthday, haha.) Right now it's not motivating her that much but we'll see in a few weeks. One thing with her never works: asking if she has to pee. The answer will always be "no."

0
15 36

I'm just starting out potty training my 2yr old but unsure if she's ready yet, everytime I go potty she sits in hers right in front of me when I wash my hands she tries to sit on the Big Potty so I think I may have to invest in a potty seat for her to use on the Big Potty cuz she'd rather do what Mommy does best!:)

0
14 10

My daughter did not want to use the little potty either once I got a seat it went a lot easier

2 18

From my personal experience. I waited until my daughter told me she wanted to go on her own.
You could try just having her wear under wears and let her learn from there.

0
8 11

It can really be frustrating when the pee-pee acidents happen so i've decided to take it easy and allow my son get trained when he feels aware. i know he wont wear daipers forever - his sisters didnt.

-1
14 20

I have 5 little ones ages 9-21months, I started potty training them when they were about 17 months, they were all fully trained by 21 months. My baby is 21 months and only wears a diaper to bed at night. I allowed them to go naked and this seems to work the best. I have had no issues with #2. Boys were not any more difficult then the girls, I have 3 girls and 2 boys. I even had a set of twins in there, I stand by this system, you allow them to go naked and put them on the potty every 15-30 min and if you catch them in process, put them on the potty.