How do I stop my 21 month old son from throwing things?

Toddlers are quick to learn and constantly interacting with their world. How do you stop them when they pick up the bad habit of throwing things around?

2,216 33

I state we don't throw what ever it is and if she does it again it is gone for a while. I try not to show any emotion so as not let the child start a power trip with the idea of throwing. It is a phase some kids go through, all my kids did. However they do grow out of it.
I have all my kids toys separated, IE, outdoor, dolls and we also have soft balls and light objects that we can throw, but by playing catch etc. not throwing just to throw. It makes it easy because my Claire is not confused as what she can throw or not. I say this is the throw box...

6
8 25

that's a great idea. I think that is an effective way, will try to remember to do that separate inside and outside toys. thanks.

4 61

My son did the SAME thing at that age. He was horrible! He still sometimes wants to do it if he gets angry, but will now stop himself. What I did was I warned him after the first time. I told him, "If you throw that again, I'm throwing it away." Of course he didn't believe me at first, so he'd throw it again. We had a guest room that stayed closed up to the rest of the house until we had guests. I'd pick up his car, or whatever he threw, and toss it on the bed in the guest room. You can also use a high shelf in a closet. He won't be able to see it. Anyways, he flipped out when I started doing this. So then he'd throw something else out of anger. And that toy disappeared. Then after a week or so, while the kids were sleeping, I'd pull those toys out of there and put them in his toybox. Or if he does something else that you're trying to reward him with (potty training?) you can always tell him he gets one (or two) of his toys back when he uses the potty.

3
6 3

I use the same method - my son had just turned two, and if it's thrown, it's gone, it's as simple as that. All it took was for him to throw his comfort dolly until he realized that I was serious that it was going away, and now the throwing has decreased, though not disappeared entirely.

3
21 22

my son dose the same thing. sometimes he even trys to hit with the toy. i have put him in time out, tolk the toy away, & even have spanked him for it. not hard but anofe to let him now that he did wrong. none of these have worked for me. i have all the balls & things like that put up till we go outside but with me being pragneted & as hot as it has been its hard to be out there for more than a few mins. he loves the outside.

1
78 82

maybe its something that they feel when we are pregnant, and it seems to be worse with boys? or mostly with boys. I think the best thing is to take the toy away for some weeks even, and put him in time out for a minute for each year of his age. Then he must tell you why hes there, apologise and hugs and cuddles, all over and forgotten..

122 51

Try time outs? We have a baby gate at the stairs and make are daughter who is almost 3 sit on the stairs away from everyone. She will go upstairs to her room but it kind of gives her a little time to cool off and by then she usually forgets about what she did....or if she stays on the stairs I will after some time go talk to her about what she did to have to sit on the stairs. Honestly there is never a right answer, it is all just a big learning process and you just have to do what is right for you and your child!!! But if they are hurting people when they throw things then you have to explain how hurting people is not a good thing and that makes people really sad!!! Good Luck!!!!!

1
99 48

REPETITION REPETITION REPETITION!! Literally. I nanny part-time (I LOVE CHILDREN!!) for an 18 month old girl. This child loves throwing her food. The first time she did it, I looked DIRECTLY at her, put my hand on her upside down plate, and said: "NOT FOR HANNAH." Then I took her plate and whatever food was left and put it away-where she couldn't reach it. It took me 3 days of CONTINUOUS "NOT FOR HANNAH" speeches for her to STOP.

What you DON'T want to do......is to keep picking up whatever he threw. I mean, really. In essence you are telling him....."Here honey, throw your food on the floor again" or "Here ya go!! Mama picked it up for you....and Mama picked it up for you.....so you can throw it on the floor again.....and we can play this game all day son, because hey, you are enjoying it, but Mama's back is hurting now....and guess what son? IT REALLY ISN'T A GAME."

That's how I do it anyway. :) Really though, repetition is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE-and in EVERYTHING YOU TEACH YOUR CHILD. We teach them repetition with potty training right? RIGHT. We teach them repetition with learning to walk right? RIGHT. Ya see?

Good luck dear. REPETITION. You might feel like pulling out a few hairs at times, but patience and repetition are the key essentials. And praise when he does it!!

0
6 13

I show my kids what they are allowed to throw OUTDOORS (focus on the positive). If they throw things that they are not supposed to throw, they get 1 warning "Do not throw that again, or it goes away/goes bye" depending on the age. The next time they throw it, we take it away. We will sometimes give it back depending on what they do next, and honestly, neither of my children have ever pushed further than that.

0
8 25

My daughter also loves to throw things. I think it is a stage. I asks her to pick it up after she throws it. She resists but I persist until she did what she is suppose to do. The throwing decrease but she is throw things from time to time, I think to get her frustrations out. I think they will outgrow throwing things. I also did try to show her that I am throwing it away to the garbage can....I put it out there and she ran after it. It stop for certain time but it came back again...I did it again. I think sometimes they need to be reminded and try to test you.

0
5 13

well to tell u the truth there is nothing u can do. no amount of talking or punishing is going to work. just take ur little obe outside and let him throw around outside and kinda ease the (if u wanna throw ask for me to take u outside talk) and c how dat works out because my little boy loves to throw and I've gotten him to ask to go outside.....hope this helps.....

0
23 10

I usually sternly say "We do not throw XXXXX" and then try to suggest something else to do with the object. Like "We don't throw brushes. Look! Can you brush the doll's hair with your brush?"

Occasionally she throws out of frustration, and I still say no, but try to figure out why she's upset and rectify it. When she throws because of a tantrum, she gets a time out.

0
2 0

I need help on this as well. My son throws EVERYTHING and hurts people in the process. I have tried to get him to stop but it isn not working.

0
82 69

try the suggestions here i am going to get a throw away bag that i put the thrown toys in until he has 3 days w/o throwing then give them back one at a time.

2 0

My kids always seemed to do this to me when we were out at a restaurant and they were in a highchair! Even if we were home, I would take whatever they threw and put it up or in the diaper bag and tell them they can have it back when they won't throw it. I didn't keep it from them too long since they were young and I wanted them to remember that it was taken not misplaced. Sometimes it would take me putting it away a few times, but they would eventually figure out it was gone for a little bit.

0