How do I stop my child from crying at school?

Whether it's because of separation anxiety or bullies, having your child cry at school is no fun. What can you do to help stop your child from crying at school?

56 20

The best thing that worked for me, with both kids, was to hand the child to a teacher, give them a kiss, tell them I loved them, let them know I would be back and leave quickly. Dragging it out only makes a child think there is something to be worried about..I hope this helps.

3
0 6

You can start by taking your child out of school. May be read some of the books by John Holt, especially How Children Learn and Teach Your Own. Good luck!

1
1 23

Hi! I am a teacher and a mum of a 3 year old who attends daycare so have experienced this at both ends. I have a year 1 boy this year who has separation difficulties, to ease this I give him a razzle sticker each day that is able to say goodbye without too much fuss, he then shows the principal who praises him (I use this so he is quickly distracted). Together we set a goal of 5 stickers to get a reward from me (which he chose- an icy cup from the tuckshop). Setting small goals and building on it really helps. Talking to the teacher and devising a plan helps so home and school is consistent. Try and stay really positive about school as I know when I am anxious my daughter cries. Try and stick to a routine each day and maybe have a 'job' for your child to do when they get to school (is there a class pet they could feed, take the tuckshop down etc). hope this helps and good luck. xx

1
2 0

My daughter did this, even in the second grade! It sounds silly and I felt silly, but I just got overly excited about anything she did and brought home. I would say, "I can't wait to see what you do tomorrow!" All kids want to please their moms so I just acted like anything and everything was a big deal. She will be a senior this year and she still doesn't really like school, but it helped for a little while! My sister talked to the principal and got her oldest in a class with his best friend, that helps too.

1
3 0

I am a 11 year old boy who has been in the hole ever since I was 6. Before then I had been a normal toddler, but ever since I went to kindergarten with abusive teachers I've been pretty cynical. I have disabled parents that cannot afford stuff like an Xbox, a 3DS, Beats by Dre, and stuff. As such I have been bullied by students who have that stuff. I am also autistic with Asperger syndrome. I moved to another school in my 1st grade year but I was bullied by a boy who claimed that he had better video games than me. In the 5th grade year I moved back to my kindergarten school and the problems were even worse since kids made fun of me for wearing glasses, disabled parents, and no video games. The only video games I liked were classic ones like the Atari 2600 or NES, which is unusual for a child my age. So I have been homeschooled from now on. Homeschooling works better than anything else.

0
0 0

People can be ignorant at times and it's hard to overlook those types if things you are a strong person and I'm sure whatever you put your mind to u can do it. I commend for continuing your education after all the problems u endured. Keep your head up and reach for the clouds .

1

my daughter misses me that is why she crys

0
0 0

my son went to school for past 5 days but he still crying more and not mingle teacher and other kids also. what i need to do to stop this habit

0
9 0

My son is 11 and he is in Grade 6 and has Separation Anxiety Disorder, so I know what it's like. My son has a favorite blanket he would bring to school with him. His teachers would also let him phone home (I have a daycare in my home) and talk for a few minutes. We still struggle with him getting to school and staying there. If it's when you leave, I agree leaving quickly after saying your goodbyes is best. They get into a groove after i.e. playing with another child or the teacher distracts them. That is what I do with any child who has a problem being separated from their parents. They usually grow out of it.

0
104 62

I am going through the same issue right now with my 4 yr. old! He just started head-start on Monday an today was just his second Day an he still cried when I was going to leave!
I do not think that there is a way to really get them to stop crying when u leave them at school! Once they get used to the schedule of the school days, I think my son an other first-time head-start children will do alot better!!
It is a change for them, an it is something that they will have to get used to an the hang of it. Then once that happens, the crieing & anxiety issues for the Lil' ones will fade little by little! Just a matter of time.

0
0 0

I do feel the same way all kids have to adjust to their enviroments especially children who are around their parents 24/7. My child is 3 years old he started headstart this past week and he's cried it's a bad feeling to see your little one like that I'm hoping that hisself and a lot of other kids will get the hang of it cause its a great program for children to be in and I wish you the best of luck:)

2 0

It would make me mad and sad!!! First I talk to my child then their teacher. If that didn't work, I might go voluteer in the class room to see if I could find out what is causing this problem. My girls are 5 and 7 and it would bother me to see someone or something causing her to cry. If it's school work, then we will work harder. I would get to the bottom of it. I remember school and getting teased at because of my last name and because I had really blonde hair. I think about my girls growing up knowing that kids pick on other kids and can be very mean. It can hurt the children for many years. It is very scary to think about, but whatever it is, I would do everything in power to help to find a solution!!!!

0
2 14

I always gave my son and daughter a tissue with a lipstick Kiss on it. So when ever they started to get sad or cry they could pull out the tissue and know I was with them. I even put a note in their lunch box that helps too.

0
20 8

I like the sticker idea try it and see if it helps. I also think a promise to make a call from work to your child might help. Have your caregiver have your child briefly speak to you when you call to say 'love you and I will see you soon". I hope this helps

0
0 0

my 4 year old just started kindergarten and I'm still struggling with his morning fits, I think the best things that worked for me is: 1- getting a slow and relaxing morning started, with loads of attention and stuff. 2- Then trying to get him comfortable with his teacher by getting comfortable my self. I'm having my son hug her in the morning & when i pick him up and I've noticed that he has taken a comfort to her so now when I drop him of he will go only to his teacher. GL :)