How do I switch my baby from a bottle to a cup?

The transition from bottle to cup has to happen at some point, but many parents delay making the switch because the idea seems daunting. What tried-and-true tactics have worked for you?

18 0

as soon as both my kids turned one, I completely stopped giving them bottles. I bought them the nuby cups with the soft tops and neither one had a problem with it!

3
3 11

I Did The Same With My First Daughter She Cried A Whole Day for Her Bottle And The Next Day Forgot About It, But I'm Doing It To my Son & He Hates It :(

1 0

I've worked with infant/toddlers at a daycare and by the time the infant is ready to move to toddler they are always drinking from a CUP not sippy. My suggestion is at every meal/snack time that your baby is in the high chair offer him/her a sippy cup (for young babies put formula or breastmilk in the sippy cup) for older babies water is a good choice. I find my son has trouble with the no spill sippy cups has he really has to suck hard to get anything and it usually results in being tossed across the room. Make sure that the sippy cup has handles for your child to grab on for him/herself or a wide enough cup that it is easy for them to hold onto on their own. offer to HELP them with the sippy cup but always allow ample opportunity for them to learn. MESS IS OKAY! If you don't mind cleaning up a wet baby/floor and possibly you. get a small plastic cup (no lid), easy for baby to manage and put just 1/2 an ounce of water in the bottom. Child Development teaches us that babies constantly adapt the way they eat/drink from nipple - spoon-solid foods-sippy cup-regular cup-using straw in a cup (as adults we don't think about it but we drink from different containers everyday (water bottle, coffee cup, reusable mug, through a straw) those all take different techniques, you just have to let your child explore he or she will learn quickly through trial and error!

3
15 0

My daughter will be 2 in september. She loves her juice in cups but when it comes to nap time and bed time she wants her milk in her ingo bottle *its a bottle with a flamingo on it lol* I feel shes to old for the bottle but i dont want to upset her and just straight up take it from her..Not sure what i should do!

1
12 13

My daughter used a cup with a straw (DORA) since about 9 or 10 months but I also let her have a bottle until almost 2 1/2 years old. We just slowly reduced when she got her bottle over the course of the two years. It was no problem to get rid of the bottle once we made the decision. And she can drink from a regular cup but prefers her Dora. Everything is so RUSH RUSH RUSH these days.... lets not freak out if your child has a bottle a day past one year old. I just try to enjoy the journey and appreciate the milestones as they come.

0
11 14

As soon as my first daughter turned 1 I took her of a bottle during the day and she just had 1 at night I have recently took her of her bottle at night now she 2 I told her that Santa was coming 2 take her bottles away at night and give them 2 the baby raindears and we brought her a new " big girl cup" for bed and it took us a weekend 4 her 2 get used 2 it but now she don't even ask 4 it x

0
10 3

I took the bottle from my son cold turkey at 14 mths. He didn't get to have the soft top sippy for very long because he kept chewing through the rubber. He took right to the hard top though. He will be 3 in August and is still on the hard top sippy because he is still in the throwing temper tantrums stage and he throws his sippy across the room, (not only that but he is clumsy like me lol). My daughter turned one in May and at 10 mths was already stealing bubba's sippy and trying to drink out of it. She can now drink out of it just fine with no problem. I am fixing to take her bottle away too. I refuse to let my kids have a bottle or binky for to long because I'd rather not have to deal with explaining to a dentist or other people why my kids teeth are already decaying because I didn't take the bottle and binky away soon enough. Luckily I didn't have to fight with the binky because both my kids were done using them on their own at 6 mths.

0
1 0

My daughter is 13mnths and has no problem drinking from a sippy, in fact, the only reason I still give her a bottle, is because I don't think she will drink the amount of milk needed in a day from a cup! The max she gets is 24ounces in a day...but how will she get this amount through a sippy when she literally just takes sips at a time??

0
0 0

Well Im having a problem with my 16 month old son only wanting to drink milk from a bottle. He drinks from a sippy cup but only with juice or water in it....HELP!

0
0 0

i have the same problem. my baby is 13 months and will NOT drink milk our her sippy cup.. every time i offer it to her she throws the cup at me..as for juice and water, she loves it out her cup, i guess it will come with time we have to just keep offering it to them and don't give up.

141 16

I think the best way to switch is to just give her a regular cup.

A little one cup with only small amount of liquid at a time. Hold the cup to her mouth so she can get the lip position right and then let her try to do it herself. It's a good transition to make for speech as well, the motion that the cheeks and lips make while drinking from a regular cup are important for proper pronunciation of many words.

This is what I did for my daughter and at 19 months she can drink easily from an 8oz glass that's nearly full. I still give her baby bottles with milk or water and she likes those too, so you don't always have to give up one to teach the other. but you shouldn't cave in and give her a bottle if she refuses the cup.

0
0 30

with my frist i took her off bottles at 1yr but with my 2nd its another story she is 15 mnths n still has bottle at lunch time nap n at bedtime, has sippy cup inbetween times.

0
12 0

:/ now i feel like a crappy mum my daughters 2 an she still has a bottle of milk (heated too) when its nap time and bed time she can drink out of a sippy cup an a normal cup (no lid) maybe i need to stop how should i aproch this ??

0
32 41

i am having a serious problem with my son and his bottle. he is 2 yrs n only wants his tea from his bottle. he will have his juice n water from a sippy cup or a cup with a straw but his tea has to be from a nipple bottle or he is not drinking the tea. he cries for his bottle if he is given the tea in anything else. help.

0
6 1

I switched my daughter at 10 months from bottle to sippy with no problem then her grandma watched her ans gave her a bottle so she cried a couple days cause she wanted her bottle and now shes back on her sippy cup wirh no problem when she first switched though she didn't know how to drink out of it and made a mess then she finally got the hang of it

0
14 34

we did cold turkey at 13month when slow transition wasnt working.

For those of you having trouble with the sippy cups and not getting anything out... I have found running them through the dishwasher once or twice really helps.

0
5 15

get the one's that lock like a bottle but there are cup's

0
4 27

when my kids started drinking there juices thats when i would introduce the sippy with the soft nipple like lid and eventually moved to the hard one after they started getting more use to the sippy

0
3 11

start on the sip cups with the soft nipples,slowly work your way to the hard toddler ones

0
111 36

We are currently teaching our daughter to use sippy cups. I tried several styles but she had lots of trouble with them. I finally bought a cup that had a rubber top, rather then a hard top. She has been able to drink from it, (makes a mess too) I started out by putting 1/8 of juice and then water. Just enough to flavor it to get her to want to drink from it. After a week I was able to use just water, she still does not have it down perfect, but since it is just water we let her have access to the cup all day. As soon as she can drink from this without spilling down her front, I plan to try the hard top again.

0
7 0

I am actually having the same problem right now! I have spent a little fortune on all sorts of cups that promise little wonders, but honestly none has worked for us. Alyssas answer actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

0
28 19

http://www.diapers.com/p/nuk-learner-cup-silicone-spout-25729 This is the best cup to use when switching from bottle or breast to a sippy cup. My 15 month old took to this cup right away after trying all the others. Now she will drink out of anything :) good luck!