How do I teach my 6 1/2 year old to learn how to tie his shoes?

Learning to tie their own shoes is a milestone for each child. What's a good way to teach your child how to tie his shoes?

2 20

We took a large cardboard box and made a 'shoe' out of it. We used ribbon as the laces and just practice 'loop-swoop-and-pull' on a larger scale. It seemed to work. Both of our kids learned to tie within the day and though they are often in Crocs, it makes PE days a breeze! Good luck.

9
0 24

It's a perfect idea. I'm a teacher and teaching a kid to tie his shoe has nothing to do with knowledge, but with motor skills and his physical development. So, let's keep practicing. Thank you.

16 12

My son is 6 1/2 and doesn't know how. I am SO not worried! He wears Crocs, winter and summer. They don't teach it in his school (I asked last year during kindergarten), either. His dress shoes are also slip on shoes. He will learn to tie a bow when he needs to. There are more important things he needs to learn right now, so this is a choice for us not to pressure him on. I am far more concerned about him learning to read, write and do math well than tie a shoe. And the Crocs are a better choice for him anyway-he has thick (not wide) feet, so finding comfortable shoes has been difficult. Why pressure him if you don't need to?

7
0 0

https://www.facebook.com/icantieshoelaces They area really neat!

0 16

Special Agent Oso, Season One, Episode 19 called "Tie Another Day; You only start Preschool Once" does a great job of teaching your little one how to tie their shoes. My daughter loved the episode and it helped her far more than my old school make bunny ears technique.

7
0 0

Hmm, may have to check it out. My son is almost 7 and I'd like for him to learn as well. Kudos to the lady whose son only wears Crocs because my son's school won't let them wear those (especially during recess with all that running and jumping, I'm afraid the crocs may come off). May also try the cardboard box trick to.

0 1

When I was working on my degree in Education one of my projects was to break down a task into it's necessary skil parts. I chose learning to tie shoes. Here is what I came up with:

Make two loops, one is a tree one is a rabbit. The rabbit runs around the tree and sticks his nose in a hole under the tree, then you grab his ears and gently pull. You have tied the laces

6
1 3

I am embarrassed to say that my son, who refused to learn, wore slip on shoes for many years. It wasn't until he was in junior high that he outgrew boys shoes and was forced to wear lace shoes for gym. By then he was much more dexterous and had an easier time of it.

5
11 48

Haha! That's my plan too! Wait till he HAS TO learn. (:

0 0

I get 2 pair of shoelaces, different colors...black and white are fine. Then, I take a white one and one black one and tie a knot in the end (or if they are especially long....the knot should be several inches from the end). Make a second set, just like the first. Then, I would sit on the couch with my child and put the knot of one set under my child's right leg, and the knot of the other set under my right leg. You need to make sure that the same colors are on the same side of the leg....whatever color is on your right, needs to be on the child's right.
at this point, you have the child mimic your actions. using the two different color laces, allows you to give directions much more easily. You can do the traditional style of tying or the 'bunny ears' style, either way, giving directions and the child's ability to follow them becomes much easier. Doesn't take long for them to get the hang of it.
-Linda

3
0 0

OMG, love the idea of two colors to practice with!

2 0

By example. Show him how it is done with your shoes. I taught my firstborn (a boy) how it is done with his shoes. However, with my second child (a girl), i was pleasantly surprised she learned by herself. I asked how she did this and she said she just watched how her older brother tied his shoes.

2
1 0

part of our fine motor training for our preparatory group ( 5yrs and older) is to learn how to tie their shoe lace.
we show them how to make an 'X' with the lace and put one over (or under) the other lace and pull, so now u have a first knot. the we say make bunny ears for the loops and make an 'X' again like the first one.
We don't pressure them but consistency is important for them to learn. Knowing this improves on their finger muscles and eye-hand coordination which helps in their fine motor skills.

2
14 0

It doesn't seem like parents value fine motor skills as much as not putting too much pressure on their kids. If you are leading a preparatory group, maybe you can articulate the importance of developing fine motor skills at an early age. I also agree with the several answers that say that having a 3rd party teach this skill is more successful and less stressful for everyone.

0 12

My son just learned and he is 8 1/2. My husband was pretty worried about it and so he told him he'd give him $5 if he learned. Well he learned within a week. I was amazed but I realized that sometimes kids just need some motivation. They have to want to do it. Believe me your son will know how to tie his shoes before he goes to college. :)

2
0 15

My son is 6 years old and right now he's just learning how to do the bunny ears and loopidy loops. He knows the the first step of tying which is crossing the two strings together and pulling one of the strings through the hole, but making the bunny ears is a bit of a challenge. He seems to make the first loop with not enough string to keep once the other loop pulls through, which in the end, he ends up with just one loop and not two (make sense)? Anyways, we're not giving up, however, when I see he starts to get frustrated, I just tie them up for him. I'd rather him practice with effort, than to get frustrated and give up.

2
3 2

My mom taught me as a child before I went to school. I ended teaching a cousin of mine who is three months older than I am. So when my daughter came along, I taught her. I sat her down beside me and told her to follow what I do. She learned in no time.She is now 12 1/2.

2
3 20

my daughter learned in January she was only 4... She learned in School.. they taught her a little song that she sings while doing the instructions... Go to youtube and look for a song.. I always works!

2
0 9

My son is 6 and I'm struggling with how to help him because he's left handed and I'm not so as I've tried to practice with him I'm doing it backwards to what he needs. Any other moms out there that had the same problem and please give me some help!

1
0 7

Have him watch you while standing in front of you. It seems like it would be backwards but this is how a friend (who is left-handed) learned how to knit. Good luck

12 24

I bought my daughter a book called, "Don't lose your shoe" by Scholastic. There is actually shoe laces on the book to practice tieing. It's a cute story and comes with simple directions.

1
29 0

I vote for Crocs!:)

1
0 0

Me too but they can't wear them at my son's school...

6 10

Wow.. it is kinda funny that by the 1st grade you should have it mastered! Practice, and practice of the tie of the shoes. My son is 6 and can now finally his shoe. ( very capable, just discouaged) Tee hee

1
4 0

have you had you child tested for dyslexia? I know many kids that have dyslexia and also had trouble with tying their shoes.

1
2 7

I can't believe some of these comments. My kids learned to tie their shoes right after they learned to dress themselves. I realize the styles are a lot different these days, but every kid should have a pair of tennis shoes. I think kids are lazy these days because the parents let them be. It's much more challenging with both parents working, but you still have to teach your children the important things in life that they need to know. I can't understand how a parent thinks learning to read and arithmetic is more important than learning to dress yourself! It is a parents job to teach your children the basics in life and while teaching them, you are spending quality time with them.

0 0

I agree it's easier when they learn from someone else...too much pressure or something when they learn from the parents? But I have been trying with my youngest...we stand side by side and go over each part of the tie process together - I am doing it on my shoe, she does it on her shoe. Not quite there yet, but hopefull soon!

1
5 3

We had a great book - Loose Laces - which was a story about a boy who's laces always came undone, and the havoc it wreaked when he tumbled down the hill, taking out all sorts of people on their way to the market with their produce, etc etc.
And it had a lovely sparkly pair of big laces on the cover to practice.
That did the trick for both my boys.

1
3 16

Both of my boys learned from someone else. My oldest son from my sister. My youngest from his preschool teacher. I tried but I think they felt to much pressure from me. They picked it up right away from my sister and preschool teacher.

1
0 30

i bought a shoe from early learning centre that helps them tie laces it has lace attatched n helped my daughter by copying me while i did it x

1
10 0

Check out this blog post. It has super helpful step-by-step for the easiest way to teach tying.
http://www.easytieshoelaces.com/how-to-teach-a-5-year-old-to-tie-shoes/

0
1

We sell a training aid at my little thinker for this : http://www.mylittlethinker.co.uk/learn-to-tie-shoelaces-toy-115-p.asp

0
0 0

My daughter's only three, so we're still working on other elements of getting dressed. However, a friend of mine used two different colored laces in an adult sneaker with the good-old bunny-ear technique.

0
0 0

All three of my kids learned on a really big ribbon tied around something before I asked them to try it on shoes. Much easier.

0
0 10

My husband and I are already trying to get our 4 year old to learn how to tie his shoes. around here the Kindergarten teachers frown upon the students that do not know how to tie their shoes. And the school district we live in the teachers actually put on the class supply list tie shoes. It makes it hard for those parents that can not find tie shoes. I am to saying we are stressing about him tying his shoes it is just one of the many things we are coaching him in. Also positive reinforcement always helps :)

0
0 7

I got jump ropes and had my girls sit on either side of me. We put them under our thighs then they copied how I tied the jump ropes around my thighs. Being bigger ropes it was easier for them to follow what I was doing. After practicing this many times they were able to move to their shoelaces with ease.

0
2 0

This is quite hard to write down - easier to demonstrate but here goes....

When you tie the first knot "make a cross" with the laces, hold the cross with your fingertips (with left hand if you are right handed) and pass the top lace over and through to make the knot- pass this lace through again before you pull tight- this stops the knot from slipping when you do the next bit.
Make a loop (call it a tree) just the right size , hold the tree tightly at the bottom with left hand finger tips. Hold the other lace- quite close to the tree- this is the bunny. The bunny runs around the tree - use the tip of your thumb to push the bunny through the hole ( you have made between that lace and the tree). See the loop going through the hole- that is a bunny ear- hold it tight with your right hand finger tips and quickly hold tight the top of the tree at the same time and then pull hard._

You can use one white lace and one black lace to make it easier to see what you are doing.

0
1 3

Children learning to tie their shoes seems to be a developmental thing. I do recess duty at the school where I work and I am forever tying someones shoe laces. Personally, I have gone the route of velcro for my son so that his teachers and yard duties do not have to do it., but his occupational therapist is concerned that he does not know how yet. We fixed a box lid as well, with shoe laces of two different colors to help more in the process. We take little steps when practicing. First, the initial cross over and under knot. When that is mastered, then one bunny ear close to the bunnies head, and so on. Hope this helps.

0
0 0

I am a bus Driver & I am always tying shoes for kids also. I explain that no one can do it or anything else with out practice. Practice makes perfect! But I have taught several of the kids I drive over the years. I still to this day have a 6th grader that still can not tie his shoes Because his parents tell him there is always some to help you do it so why waste our time. Kinda frustrating in a way. I also have kindergarteners that can tie shoe already!

0 19

It seems like kids are learning later and later to tie their shoes due to the "cool" styles they want to wear. My son is now 10 and he was taught by one of this daycare teachers. My husband and I had just about decided it was not going to happen and she said for us to start sending him in lace up shoes everyday. He learned almost instantly from her and she said it was because the kids all helped each other and then there was the elimate of competition of not being the only one that could not tie.
Girls seemed to pick it up faster than boys.
I was very greatful because his kindergarten had a policy of no laces if they can''t tie their own shoes or we will spend all day on shoes and not on school work.

0