How do you balance your daily routine with kids and exercise?

It's hard to fit in any time for yourself when you're a mom, but exercise is important for health. How have you successfully balanced your daily routine with kids and exercise?

0 0

As nutty as it seems, I get up before my kids every morning to fit in a workout. This means my alarm goes off at 5am and I have to try to be asleep by 10pm or so. But it is so worth it! I get some much needed time to myself and the exercise wakes me up and makes me feel alert and energized for the day. If I don't exercise first thing in the morning, I feel groggy and if I let my kids wake me up abruptly, I am completely discombobulated. For me, first-thing-in-the-morning exercise is as much a necessity as my cup of coffee. I also like the example my regular exercise sets for my kids. They know to come down to our basement rec room to find me when they wake up, and think it's very entertaining to watch me sweat it out on the treadmill or pumping iron. I am absolutely certain being fit helps me to be a better mom because I have the strength and endurance to keep up with my kids, sleep better and can better manage my stress.

http://talesofa30somethingnothing2010.blogspot.ca/

10
5 26

I dont! So bad, I know! But as a full-time working mother of 4 (ages 11 to 5 mos) There's not enough time in the day. Maybe if my husband worked a regular shift, but he's not home til 8pm. So he barely has time to tuck the kids into bed, then it's the only time we get together. I push it to stay up with him enough to discuss important things, finances and the calendar, then catch him up on the kids, then just spend quality time together. I push myself, not going to bed til 11pm, so getting up early is impossible, with a 5 month old I value my sleep. However my thyroid problems also play a big part in all of it, and I'm not sure what to expect when they remove my thyroid. But Husband and I are trying to make a commitment to work out together. Looking at Zumba, and the kids want to do it too, so it'll be fun for the whole family hopefully...

5
0 9

I work out at home! I do Turbo Fire & ChaLEAN Extreme. It saves on a gym membership and I can do it day or night!! I love it!!!

3 30

I have a exercise disc that I use to do twists. I keep it in the living room and use it for 5-15 minutes at a time when the kids play. Also I have a yoga ball that I use as a desk seat.

4
0 20

Great idea for the Yoga ball...Love that!

113 2

To fit in my workouts, i use the waiting around time. My gym has childcare - this was more important when the kids (4) were smaller, but even now, it's still useful. I schedule some of their activities - swimming lessons, for example, there, then the others can swim, too or go to the childcare room, and I can work out. When I have to tag along to their activities, I take my sneakers and other workout stuff, whether some hand weights or a tennis racket, and workout or run while they're doing their thing. Also, I joined a tennis team with most matches at night, so by the time for me to go, usually around 8 pm, everyone's settled and Dad just needs to put them all to bed.

4
113 2

I've posted about my "mommy workouts" and what to carry in your gym bag (and keep in your car!) to be able to squeeze in a workout while shuttling around kids on my blog, Just Piddlin' - http://slackermomof4.blogspot.com/2012/07/workout-on-playground.html

0 17

I am NOT one to get up early if I don't have to. But having an elliptical in our room and a husband who uses it almost every morning, definitely helps but doesn't really "make" me do it. I have always had a difficult time getting up. I got to the point where I would do my workout and then shower after lunch while the kids were napping. But then nothing else got done in that time. So I dropped my workout so I could get other things done. I have recently decided to DRAG my behind out of bed and jump on it shortly after the hubs. I have been getting up earlier and earlier, but my goal is to have my workout in and be showered before my oldest 2 get downstairs in the morning at 7am! Baby steps!!!

I have talked a little about my attempt to exercise on my blog: http://arewereallydoingthis.blogspot.com/

I would love you to stop by!

3
0 0

I am another one who has always had a hard time getting up in the morning. I have tried putting the alarm clock across the room, leaving myself notes to see as soon as I get up, etc, but I still have a hard time. So it's comforting to know I'm not the only one, and that there is hope!!

14 0

I bought an elliptical off Craigslist for $30 and I usually do 45 minutes on that when my son naps. I have a babysitter a couple of mornings a week and when she's here I get in an early morning workout. If the weather is good I walk him a few miles in the stroller. Also, I have a Kelty backpack carrier and live near trails, so an hour walking with the carrier is a good workout. I like to rockclimb and sometimes take off for a weekend day to climb and his father takes care of him.
Of course, my schedule allows this and if I worked outside the home full time, I don't know how I would manage. I suppose I would work out at the end of the day and arrange with his father to make supper, etc. Three days a week is all the cardio you need if you really push yourself each time.

3
3 0

I run after my kids are in bed. I am lucky to live in an area where that is safe.

3
0 3

I take 2 belly dancing classes a week. One on Sat. and one on Sun. My husband and my in laws watch the children while I'm in class. It is also the only time in a week where I get to have some me time. The results are phenomenal! It really tones the belly.

2
0 11

With 4 small kids I found it unrealistic to get to the gym regularly so I have several work out videos that I rotate doing at home. When the kids were really and not sleeping through the night I would do them during the day while they played. Now that they are a bit older and usually sleep through the night I get up an hour before them to do my exercises, otherwise it just doesn't happen!

2
0 7

I drop the kids off to play athe YMCA play center while I sweat it out in the gym or group aerobics. The kids love it and I get my much needed me time in.

2
0 20

I love the YMCA...I wish I had done it when my kids were little...now its just an every day thing! I love the variety of classes! which is your favorite class or activity ?

26 0

When my son was a baby, I was out walking with the pram every day that I wasn't working.

When he was older, I pushed his stroller 2 km up and over a mountain to his daycare/preschool, walked back as we lived 300m from work, and then did the same again in the evenings.

Now, I live in a 3-storey house so my exercise is stairs (bedrooms on upper level, laundry on lower), and lots and lots of housework - vacuuming, cleaning windows, dusting, polishing, washing, gardening, etc.

2
0 0

Doesn't count, you need to exercise to be able to do the activities you've listed without hurting yourself

0 0

My husband, children and I fence three times a week. We all exercise together but at our own pace so that we are able to be together as a family but still exercising.

1
12 8

I have to pay a mean trainer to force me to do it, or I'd have to do everything else first. Luckily my kids are autistic and hyper, so they kind of run circles around me and my husband while we exercise.

1
0 5

Hi, I'm a mother of 1 little almost 3 year-old. My husband & I hope to conceive another soon.
I don't have a set schedule of when I workout everyday but its usually within the same ball-park of times. Here's a typical week in my life:
Monday: work from 6:30am-1:00pm, see personal trainer @ 2-3, go pick up Eli from the babysitter's, if its nice out take the dog; Ollie for a jog with Eli in the jogging stroller, make supper (or let my hubby do it), put away leftovers to eat throughout the next day (5 small meals a day).

Tues: gym @ 4:45am-5:50am, work @ 6:30am-1pm (unless extension is available then I might work until 5 or 6), grocery shop, pick up Eli, ect.

Wed: (my day off) "Bodyrock" either in the morning or evening. If your not sure what this is go to bodyrock.tv, you'll be glad you did! ;) great workout in as lil as 12 mins! My son does it with me most of the time believe it or not! well his own version of it anyway, its cute! His burpees & jump squats are my fav to watch him do. They're such cute attempts I love it!

Thurs: (day off besides volunteering for 3 hours in the daycare @ the gym) I usually take this day as a rest day. However if I choose to take a rest day on a different day I would do another bodyrock here or "Turbo Fire"

Fri: work 6:30am-1pm unless extension is available, gym after work, Pick up Eli, ect.

Sat: (I work every other weekend) work from 6:30am-1pm, gym from 1:30-2:30 or 1:30-3:30 (if I go with a friend we do a longer workout so we can also get a decent visit in + its nice to motivate each other)

Sun: work 6:30am-1pm, gym from 1:30-2:30 or 1:30-3:30

I workout between 4-6 x a week depending on the week & whats going on. Some weeks I just simply need more rest so I listen to my body. Its not good to burn yourself out, you'll be more likely to quit working out all together if you do. Working out should feel like a privilege not a chore.

When it comes to meal prep since I eat so often I cook a bunch of food at supper time (yes, I actually cook this time lol! when I'm mass preparing I like to do it myself because I make 2-3 different dishes) Then I put pre-portioned leftovers in the fridge to feed myself for the next 3 days (my husband chooses not to live the same lifestyle when it comes to food). I also have 1 scoop of whey protein in 200ml of cold water after my workout. I like vanilla, how about you?

1
0 0

On my running days and horseback riding days, I go at 6 am while my husband is still home. I'll take the kids on bike rides with my 4y.o. in a little pull-cart and my 7y.o. on his bike during the day, or drop the kids at the playroom at the YMCA for spinning/swimming/weights. If I'm itching to swim in the lake, I'll bring a babysitter with me or arrange to switch kid-watching there with another mom who swims. I've recently started training for a triathlon, and I'm finding that all this working is actually a lot of fun! The kids really enjoy getting a chance to go bike riding, and they love the Y playroom.

1
1 0

I bought the Davina 'Power of 3' workout. It's broken into 3 sections so you can either do just bum and thighs, or tummy or arms. Each section including the warm up and warm down takes about half an hour. Alternatively, the whole thing takes an hour. I do the tea, get them in the bath and then put the DVD on. That way, you can have three half an hour work outs a week, without having to go anywhere!

1
275 0

I have always been one to wake up every morning before work or school and exercise, before I had my daughter it was a 3 mile run and 30 minutes of pilates or weight training. Now I just wake up in the morning and a 30 minute work out video on You Tube (always either Denise Austin or Jillian Michaels) and these seem to be just as effective as anything I did in the past. After that I take a shower, get ready for work, wake my daughter up, drive her to school, and then go to work, and then come home to all my daily house duties, spend time with my fiancee, study if it's during the school semester and finally go to bed and wake up to it all all over again. I'M SO TIRED!

0
9 0

I work over 40 hrs a wk...my husband works 24 hr shifts and I have a 5 yr old. I recently joined a group called Team Beachbody that I started the Brazil Butt Lift and then started drinking Shakeology. It helps with energy, gives you the vitamins and minerals you need. I have found that helps a lot w/ controlling weight and giving you energy. I then started being a coach. I found that it helps me hold accountable for working out and staying focused just like I am helping people do the same. It's really great!

0
0 0

0
0 0

With a large family and many small children, this can be tricky! Our local gym has unlimited child care for a low price during certain hours so this is always an option. However, I have found that I like to include my children in my workouts whenever possible. This summer we have been not only exercising as a family, but doing our local errands on foot! We load up our Bob stroller with children (sometimes three kids in the duallie) and head down to the post office, bank, grocery store for fresh fruit for a snack, go to the park, play in the water fountain in our towns center, and enjoy several hours out and about. Pushing the heavy stroller full of children up hills and around town gives me a great workout!

0
4 3

For now, I try to swim at the beach with my kids in the summer. Also - kayak when i can with them.

0
0 1

Our church started a kid friendly work out group. A bunch of moms get together at the church in a large gym. We let the kids run around while we workout. I know it sounds a little crazy but you get use to having all the kids around and most of them just sit on the floor by their mom. The women also volunteer to teach classes. We do it three times a week we have a girl who teaches kick boxing, step, and weight training. None of the teachers have any real training but, they all do great. It real fun and a great way to meet other moms.

0
0 0

Right now, I am off work! I work at our School! But finding time, even now feels almost impossible!! We moved from a 4 bedroom home to a 3 bedroom trailer (Husband got a job transfer and we took the 1st thing we could find) So we down-sized drastically!!
We can't put the boys in daycare, can't afford it with me not working!!
I would LOVE to hear suggestions!! Cuz my 7 year old could use it too :) We are close to a river and we LOVE swimming, but I can't keep up with a 2 year old and 7 year old by myself. My husband works 4-midnight and does school work before he goes to work!!

0
0 0

With a 1 year old and almost 3 year old, I don't know how I'd work out if I didn't have a flexible part-time job. I love going to the local gym and running or strength building. But our schedules don't give me much opportunity to go in the morning, so I leave early from work to go to the gym before picking the kids up from daycare. I just started working out again finally after almost two years, and so far I've only made it a few times. It's helpful to see how others make time to workout.

0
0 22

I set a goal. Our gym (so thankful the little town I live in has one) Monday-Thursday has childcare between 4pm to 7pm. So, four days I week, I make my 1hour workout happen, no excuses, because it is imortant to me and my health! It can be crazy sometimes when my older kid has activities I need to take her to or be at, but if your workout is important to you, you will make it happen, even if you can only make it a 20-30 minute one. If something comes up in the middle of the week that just really makes it where I can't make it to the gym, I fit in a quick no equipment workout inspired usually by Pinterest over the weekend while my 2 year old is napping!

0
0 0

UUUGHHHH! I tried to work out after this last baby, and talk about frustrating! I was getting up at 5:00 working out for an hour to get home before the babies woke up and my husband had to go to work. When the baby started teething, it all went to shit.....so I haven't worked out since March. Teething has subsided, but other children are going through other stages nightmares, teenagers that have to be monitored, etc. I am going to give it another try starting July 1st, but if push comes to shove, sleep comes first and I will just have to learn to love my size 16 butt until I get 2 more babies in kindergarten. :)

0
0 0

I usually do about 20 mins of Jillian's DVD, every other day when my kids were in school. Now, it's summer break, I walk while they cycle around the neighborhood for about 45 mins.. Not too bad considering u have to really power walk to catch up with the kids speedcycling lol Other than that, I do about 40 jumping jacks or 100 phantom-skip (pretend u're holding a jumprope and skip) after I use the bathroom.

0
6 0

I work out through out the day. I walk to the store every day, when I go down to my room I'll do some sets with the free weights, if I lay down on the floor to play with my bots I'll do some sit ups, I do squats on the stairs everytime I go up or down. My work out is never all at one time but I figure it's better to do a little when I can rather then nothing at all. I have tried the getting up early thing but I have a problem with low iron so I am always exhausted and have a hard time getting up as it is.

0
0 15

I have two children ages 4 and 11 months. When the younger one is napping, I put on cartoons for my 4 year old and I work out for a hour. I've been running on a treadmill and doing Insanity. My son loves his cartoon hour and I get a good workout.

0
0 11

I have bought a library of exercise video's. I get up early and try to work out 3-5 days a week BEFORE the kids are up. That is the only time that I have found that I am motivated and can squeeze it in.

0
0 0

Going swimming together, yesterday I treaded water for an hour while the kids swam around me and played. I'm very sore today. :-)

0
0 19

I usually work out after dropping my two girls off at school.I ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes every morning Monday to Friday.weekends is when am unable to exercise because my girls always interupt my workout.my week days workout helps me to keep in shape nd keeps me fit.

0
0 1

For me its not so much that I don`t have the time, all though I do have four young teenagers who all play sports, and me working a second shift job at a nursing home caring for mentaly disabled patients, and my husband working a first shift job, coaching soccer, and reffing soccer; It is my low blood sugar that keeps me from doing to much of a exercise program, the more I try to work out or exercise the more my body uses up the sugar and I pass out within minutes.. it`s just a pain in the rump, but I have lost some pounds, but have about 70 more to go..

0
0 0

I run a home daycare and have 2 1/2 year old twin boys. I am
a full time single Mom, so I don't get time to myself other then nap time!
I work out at home everyday for about an hour while all the kids are sleeping. I don't know what I would do without that outlet. I have 5 boys under the age of 3 on my care, so I totally need that time to de-stress and do something just for me!

0
0 1

I am not a super motivated exercise buff..My thoughts are first thing in the morning or toolate!. Havin 4 young childrenfor tha last 10 years this has meant pusher, double pusher or if a bit lucky no pusher. Change your track if your getting bored and engage your belly muscles when pushing pusher up-hill.

0
0 8

Zumba classes are 3 minutes away from me and I will look at their schedule and do a class every day whether a 6 am class or a 4:30 class or a toning class. I try to work out everyday to keep my weight down because after 45 it's very difficult to lose.

0
21 14

I take my kids (4 and 11) to one of our local lakes, parks, etc and we hike together. I bring the stroller for when my youngest gets tired (makes my workout harder!). My husband's job has inconvenient hours, I work irregular hours and my youngest is extremely shy and has a very difficult time going to childcare (which I have chosen not to fight - she goes to school and is very happy there - that is good enough for me). So we exercise together, outside - keeps me sane and in shape and teaches my kids that exercise can be an enjoyable, part-of-every-day thing. Works for us! :o)

0
1 0

Wow! Pretty impressed with all the dedicated moms out there that has that much time to fit in excercise! I like walking and when my son was a baby I walked around the block or go to the track after I put him to bed and daddy was on stand by! But now that's he's two I'm exhausted by the time he's in bed! So we recently got a hand me down treadmill and when I put him down for a nap I put in a movie and walk! I love it! It's a good 45 min of me time! I used to work full time and wasn't able to do this but I recently quit my job and have gone back to school so my schedule is a bit more flexible somewhat : / good job for all those full time working mothers fitting all that in!

0
0 0

My husband and I joined a gym where there is a supervised kids area. We go right from work at 6pm. The kids love it and so do we!

0
8 5

I work out at home so I can fit it in whenever I can. I have P90X and Insanity and fit a run in whenever I don't have the kids or hubby is home to watch them. Also, I have an online accountability group to support, motivate and encourage each other, it helps a lot!

0