How do you cure your child's sinus infections?

What are remedies for a child's sinus infection? What can you do to help prevent a future sinus infection?

0 16

For a true sinus infection -not an upper respiratory virus, but an actual bacterial sinus infection- the only thing that will cure it is prescription antibiotics. Nasal lavage definitely helps, both to clear up the current gunk *and* to prevent future infections. Two of my kids -my 15 year old and 5 year old sons- suffered from transient IGA immunodeficiency, from infancy to pre-school. They both had chronic sinus infections (as well as lung, ear, stomach, and skin infections), which required them both to undergo invasive sinus surgeries at very young ages (before they turned 3!). So we have definitely been down this path many, many times.

If you and your pediatrician are certain that it *is* an actual sinus infection, and not just a virus, then do not hesitate to start the prescribed antibiotics. Sinus infections, once they kick in, are hard to eradicate. Nasal lavage, lots of actual nose blowing and/or suctioning, and -if you live in a dry area- a cool mist humidifier will help speed the infection on its way and help prevent it from coming back. Another thing to look into (depending on the age of the child) is possible allergies. Chronic sinus infections can plague those with chronic allergies, even if the allergies do not seem to affect the respiratory system.

Lastly, if the child has reflux, this can also be a contributing factor to sinus infections. If the infections are recurrent, it could be due to reflux, or GERD, even long past the infancy stage. Treating the reflux can help prevent infections, both of the sinuses and the lungs.

16
0 10

Thank you for putting an intelligent post rather than an opinion! My daughter and I both get sinus infections and for me its easy to use a neti pot and all the "natural" ways of cleaning out the passages but on most childres, that is just unreasonable and the best you can do is steam and nose blowing/suctioning. Sometimes the infections get out of control and the doc says for me AND my child, if you have it and it is interrupting your daily life for 2+weeks, you need antibiotics. I can appreciate not jumping the gun using antibiotics but for crying out loud-sometimes it's necessary to preserve health!

2 1

antibiotics not necessary! reduction or elimination of mucus building foods - especially cow milk! the best way to get it clear is time tested, natural and easy, altho not so pleasant (til you get used to it i guess) - the NETI POT! you can get them in health food stores.. to wash the nose.. this can be done without a neti as well.. in the shower or over a sink with a funnel or some such thing.. a daily rinse/ snort in-out with warm water will help in maintaining health.. sea salt water even better..
and for infections that are hanging around or more severe - use grapefruit seed extract in the water..
it might feel for a second like you are drowning but you arent.. so just let it flow in and snort or spit it back out as you would if you got water up your nose swimming.. for infections , using salt or grapefruit seed extract (also at health food store) be sure to dilute it - like 5-10 drops to a cup of warm water for extract, 1/2 tsp salt.. these ingredients may BURN a bit at first.. but its so worth it! do it a couple of times a day for a few days and CLEAR!! snort in/ out strongly after pouring in and if you can letting it settle for a second with the head back...
so much better than pharma and no side effects like with antibiotics which also kill good stuff that we need..
great health and joy to you!

14
0 16

Excuse me for interjecting, but not choosing to utilize antibiotics when they are indicated for bacterial infections is dangerous at best, deadly at worst. The reason mortality rates have steadily gone down in developed countries is due to the advent and proper use of antibiotics for bacterial infections. And from your description of using a neti-pot with burning citrus and salt solutions... Have you ever actually used this method on a child? I respect the responsible use of homeopathic and natural health aids, but when it comes to my children, I prefer to use -and will advocate the use of- necessary pharmaceuticals to preserve their health.

0 12

All the moms are right to a certain degree. When able, the natural path is always best. I think all kids need to be off cows milk anyway because of the hormones that are used (in all our animals). A netting pot is good if its an older child/teen, but not for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and even elementary age. Saline solution is good, humidifier in the room at night is good, but antibiotics do have their place in our germ world. Balance is the key here and not always running to the doctor to get a quick cure. We must let our bodies use their fighting mechanisms to help build our immune systems; so moms, help your little ones body to help itself. Also water, water, water into the body. If you have to use an antibiotic, push it and the illness through with lots of water and replace GI tract with good bacteria afterwards with a probiotic product. Runny noses and a sleepless night of coughing are not fun, but there are ways out there to fight the good fight in the natural along with antibiotics. Allergies seem to be the worst offenders and so keep on top of those and that should help keep sinus infections at bay.

7
6 1

I was personally plagued with sinus infections for may years of my life---4 to 5 a year. About 21 years ago i started on a nutritional quest that led me to a particular nutrition product that worked within my immune system so that I have not had a sinus infection since then--over 20 years. I am very grateful for this result along with many others and would be happy to share information with anyone privately. I have suggested this product to many families with kids with allergies, sinus infections, add and adhd asthma, etc with even very young chidren taking it safely and achieving great benefits.

7
1 0

If you are going to post something, why not just tell what it is? Asking someone to email you back to get something that may be helpful to all is just ridiculous.

20 6

AS SOON AS my kids start with cold symptoms I take them off of all dairy products...they have never had a sinus or ear infection as a result. Sometimes prevention is the best cure! :)

6
0 6

Grapefruit seed extract. My daughter and I have severe allergies and are always prone to chronic sinusitis. You will never need a trip to the doctor again. 3 - 5 drops in some OJ 3 times a day for a child and 5 - 15 drops 3 times a day for an adult. you can also put a drop or 2 in a neti pot used to rinse the sinuses. Trust me when I say this stuff works better and faster than antibiotics. Also, antibiotics wreak havoc on the immune system. The less you have to use them, the better. You can find GSE online but I usually get it from whole foods. 1 bottle is about $14 and lasts months. Take my word. If you know a sinus infection is brewing, and you start the GSE, a lot of times you can stop the infection in it's tracks. Take it from someone who knows and good luck!

5
0 0

Does this work adding it to water instead of OJ?

0 30

ESSENTIAL OILS!!!!!! 100% Pure, Safe and Effective! It's the BEST way! Call me for a free sample 541-292-1849

4
0 0

I agree with the natural approach. In fact, going all natural can cure several different diseases that some doctors & government officials don't want us to know about because being sick is profitable. Dairy and animal based foods in moderate to high consumptions are the main causes of many diseases to begin with. You want proof - educate yourself - read The China Study to start. There is s slew of other information at the library, online, etc. on how to heal your body of harmful diseases.

2
0 0

Every child and every situation is different. After 5 years of education at a major school and a Masters degree at a highly respected school for Holistic medicine I use the most natural approach when possible. That being said, I do believe antibiotics have a place in my home as well. A severe bacterial sinus infection needs antibiotics. If left untreated the infection can spread to bone and in rare cases the brain. We are a dairy and soy free household. We also use a neti pot often, especially my husband. My 3yo. Was breastfed for 18mos and I followed a very hypoallergenic diet. She still developed a severe sinus infection and after many frustrating conversations with allopathic docs we met a great allergist who was smart and thorough and listened. He gave us antibiotics and it stopped her suffering in a matter of days. she took probiotics after the course and continues taking them now. She has been a super healthy kid and had her first fever ever a few months ago. She is now again suffering from bacterial sinusitis (we did a C&S) and I know the sx's of severe sinusitis vs a cold and is miserable, can't sleep. We just restarted an antibiotic and in about a day she is a much different girl. These meds came along for a reason, people were dying of infections and antibiotics saved lives. Yes, they are overused, but clinical data shows a dramatic decline in their useage. I still advocate for a less invasive more natural approach when appropriate. We use chinese medicine and cranial sacral. But sometimes they don't work and sometimes allopathic medicine works for us.

58 23

My son has had many colds. Lucky for him, they have not morphed into a true sinus infection, but We use the nose frieda http://www.fridababy.com/shop/nosefrida/ to help with runny noses. My son has allergies like me and it helped once we got some sudafed prescribed by his Dr. He was already using Zyrtec. I agree with Jennifer that you have to determin if its a -TRUE- sinus infection or not. Then also viral or bacterial of course.... but for symptom relief for the little ones it helps. Please also do not give meds to your child with out checking with your Dr. We were given dosage amounts for both those times from my sons dr. Here in Oregon where his Dr is you have to get a prescription for any kind of sudafed product because of how it is used to make drugs. However we live in WA where that law is not passed, so it was pretty challenging to get it in liquid formula for my at the time 3 year old.

2
0 0

My children did not suffer from Sinus infections per se, however, I would like to share that I did for years and eventually suffered total bilateral hearing loss from it. How to cure it, that I cannot answer. I do know that the multiple rounds of antibiotics did not prevent me from getting yet another one, eventually the one that took my hearing. I urge all you Mom's not to disregard a sinus infection.

1
0 0

First of all eliminate all foods that contain sugar including fruits and
Juice. Sugar grows candida an sinus infection is basically candida
Overgrowth up the nose. Up probiotics and live cultured foods, sheep
Yogurt is good. Buy a dehumidifier. The bay area homes sweat. I keep mine
Constantly running, make sure water from the air gets poured outside so it
Can go back to where it came from. Dry babies and kid thoroughly especially
Between toes. Get theives cream it's an anti fungal, so is tea tree oil soap.
Think anti fungal be probiotic. Where indoor thongs avoid going bare foot,
Even indoors.
Xolisa

1
0 0

Medicinal grade essential oils - not anything you can find in a grocery store. A blend called Thieves in particular. We dealt with chronic sinus infections in our home for years. They were largely due to allergies, and antibiotics only seemed to be followed by a longer, stronger round of antibiotics. We haven't had a single sinus infection in 2 years. It's really something you may scoff at until you see it in action yourself. Colloidal silver works great too.

There's a great book called What to Do When Antibiotics Don't Work. It's about how plant-based medicines work, and why they are better than synthetics. EOs don't kill good bacteria and bacteria can't become resistant to them due to the complexity that can't be re-created in a lab (which wouldn't be able to be patented - that's why the establishment won't confirm or support it.)
Most of our immune system is in our gut. Antibiotics indiscriminately kill all the bacteria, including the kind that keeps us healthy! If we clean out the toxins and junk and give our bodies what it needs in basic whole foods, our bodies will fight as it's created to do. We haven't been to our pediatrician in 2 years either, and we really liked her! We've treated UTI's, stomach flu, and typical colds. We diffuse the oils and put them on the bottoms of our feet, so we don't usually catch illnesses from each other either.
Others who have answered are right in that you have to find the root cause. Food sensitivities (usually to milk and gluten) cause the immune system to be overtaxed and nasal passages to be inflamed (and the gut to be inflamed as well.)
Me and 300 of my closest friends have a Facebook Group called Oily Wisdom
https://www.facebook.com/groups/166975426752350/ where we share ideas, encouragement and remedies and a very balanced approach including when medical intervention is necessary. I challenge you to look into this, especially if you are skeptical or downright hostile to the idea. I was a skeptic at one time too!
You can also look at a site called oil-testimonials.com

1
1

The Chronic Sinusitis Cure
This is a Cure Not a treatment for Chronic Sinusitis.
http://www.sinusinfectcure.com

Mayo Clinic found that fungus causes Chronic Sinusitis.
http://www.princeton.edu/~gpmenos/mold_facts/MayoClinicStudyImplicatesFungusasCauseofChronicSinusi.pdf

My booklet explains how to kill that fungus by reintroducing selected "Friendly" bacteria directly into the sinuses. These bacteria are normally present in your sinuses, but are killed by antibiotics and/or other means typically used to treat Chronic Sinusitis. Orally consumed bacteria will not reach the sinuses, to eliminate that fungus.

http://www.sinusinfectcure.com

0
0 0

IM A VERY CONCERNED GRANDMOTHER I HAVE A GRANDSON ...6 YEARS OLD ALWAYS SICK BEEN IN AND OUT OF DOCS, HOSPITALS , AND SURGERY'S WITH SINUS PROBLEMS , 4 SURGERY'S DID NOT WORK !!! DOCS ARE SAYING HE HAS STREP, STAFF AND PNEUMONIA IN HIS SINUSES AND THERE HAS BEEN NO ANTIBIOTIC THAT HAS WORKED!!!! THEY SAY A PORT CAN NOT WORK DUE TO NO MEDS OUT THERE FOR A CHILD HIS AGE THAT IS SAFE ENOUGH ! THIS LITTLE MAN HAS BEEN THROUGH SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING !!!! SWEAT TEST TODAY FOR CF .. 7 DOCTORS ON A TEAM TODAY DISCUSSING WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!! AND APP. SET TO SEE SOME KIND OF SPECIALIST TO CHECK HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM ! WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS FOR 3 OR 4 YEARS WE HAVE EVEN BEEN ALL THROUGH THE ALLERGY DOCS PLEASE ANY ONE HAS ANY HELPFUL INFO TO GUIDE US IN THE RIGHT PATH PLEASE POST BACK !! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

0
0 0

0
0 2

tell them to lay off the booze!

0
20 17

i just went 2 the dr. 4 a sinus infection & they do not give antibiotics 4 it anymore!! they had me get afrin nasal spray & sinus rinse, it is a bottle that u fill with water & a salt solution & squirt up ur nose & it comes back out the other side!! i felt better the same day however i don't know how well it will work with small child !! good luck

0
0 0

Does your child have recurrent sinus infections? Asthma, allergies?
Before you decide on invasive sinus procedures that destroy the normal flora and mucosa
In the nasal cavity and sinuses, you should look into balloon sinuplasty by acclarent.
It has great results , less invasive and keeps the normal tissue in the nares in tact.
Find information on Facebook balloon sinuplasty by acclarent

0
0 20

As an adult myself, I had really bad sinus infection. I had to call the doctor 3 times a year for antibiotics. I found a nutritional supplement that has made wonders for me- am free from sinal-allergies that always come around. Your children need a nutritional supplement and not just any kind of supplement. You need a supplement that is high quality and not some cheap supplement that does not work. I did my research on Comparitive Guide of nutritional and found Usana to be the highest rted nutition. I have been giving them to my daughter and don't have half the problems that everyone else is having with childrens being sick all the time. When they do catch something, they are not down as long as when they were not taking the supplements. Your child is lack of nutrition in its system that's why they are sick! We have strive to give them fruits and vegetables and meat. We all need supplements cause we are lacking nutrition somewhere in our body.

0
7 12

It's hard to get a child to use one, but if you can, try a neti pot. It's drug free and a natural way to cleanse bacteria out of nasal passages. As the previous comments, a bacterial infection needs antibiotics. A virus just has to run it's course. An anti-inflammatory may help, too. Sometimes it's swelling and not mucus congesting sinuses. Children's motrin or ibuprofen works well. Good luck.

0
6 1

The product that I use is made by Reliv International (www.reliv.com) and is available in an adult and a child nutritional formula. The adult product that have used for 21 years is called NOW for Nourishing Our World and it is powder that you mix with any liquid and drink. The kids version is called NOW for Kids and is flavored chocolate or vanilla. My grandkids like the vanilla.I began a business with it as a distributor 17 years ago and will be glad to help anyone who wants to know more. I did it to stay home with five daughters, who are all on their own now.