How do you deal with separation anxiety with your child?

It can be very tough for moms the first times they start leaving their baby with a sitter or when their toddler goes off to preschool. What are some tips your have for moms that experience separation anxiety?

95 0

I know that most people believe that saying a short/casual good bye is best, but for me this hasn't worked. What has worked is, first make sure you get him/her in a good mood right before drop off. Then, make sure he/she gets engaged in some activity or interaction with another child and/or adult in the room. Once he's busy and distracted, walk away. This works everytime for me, however the few times I have tried saying good bye or explaining that I'll be back, it usually turns into a scream fest.

0
13 6

I use Bush flower remedies bought at health shops or chemists. There is emergency essence (rescue remedy), or confid essense. These are homeopathic drops placed under the tongue morning and night for say two weeks. They have helped my children (and me).

0
5 7

My 3 year old will not do any type of activity without me, she starts Preschool in the fall, and I am very nervous. Any suggestions?

0
14 16

I have to start my internship in a few months and then I must do my demonstration teaching full time; and in order to break my two year old into the idea I have let the babysitter come in and stay with her while I am home-not a good idea because once she hears me or remembers that I have left her with the sitter she starts to cry.The sitter and I and going to try to see what else we can do to get the baby used to the idea, that she is going to be with the sitter and not with me. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas??

0
89 2

so does anyone have any tips for a 6 year old who has been at school for a year? we are still having problems

0
2 0

What has helped a lot at my daughter's preschool is you ask them to push you out the door. It puts them in control and they have fun doing it. I drop my daughter off and say ok, time for me to go, I will be back after nap and outside. Then I say can you push me out?

I also purchased the book "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn. It is a great book about when Chester Raccoon is going to night school for the first time and he doesn't want to go. He wants to stay home with Mom.

0
2 13

Explain to your child that you will be back, the problem is that when you say 'Goodbye', they think you won't be coming back. Let them know that they will have fun with the babysitter or at preschool, and that you'll pick them up right after to take them home with you. Saying 'see you in a bit' or 'see you soon' is more comforting then running away while they're crying or saying Goodbye. Eventually you'll be able to say 'Goodbye' once they realize you will be back to pick them up.

0