How Do You Discipline a Tween?

Disciplining any child can be tough. But It can be especially hard with tweens, who are known for unpredictable behavior and a tendency to act out. What are some suggestions you have for disciplining a tween?

7 8

I believe that at some point you have to take away everything that is not a necessity. Kids feel they should have the phone, games systems, own tv...NOT.... I also found that IF you don't stick to your guns & your partner is not on the same playing field as you then you might as well give up, it has to be a united front. My tween (11) was recently caught in 1 heck of a lie at school, which earned her a visit by me at the school and a subsequent grounding from all of her electronics for the balance of this month (that was around Feb 7th) - she is still grounded from them, including the fact that Friday is technology day at school - oh well she won't be taking anything electronic to school....and she was assigned by her dad to write an apology letter to the principal and staff at her school....she cranked out 550 words on not only what she had done wrong, but reasons why lying is not good. I sat with her and explained that when you start playing Adult games - you get Adult reactions & punishments...
Again Stick to your guns, be up front about punishments & rewards...don't always look for the negative - it is like training a dog to a degree - reward the positive and give them a positive role model to pattern themselves after. Remember they are just trying to get a grip on anything when everything is changing...expectations, school work, and their body - hormones are bouncing around like a ping pong ball gone crazy...

30
0 1

Electronics are the first thing to go in our house and it is amazing how fast the behavior changes and the helpfulness I receive.

5 19

The best discipline we've found is extra work. When my son acts out, be it disrespect, outright disobedience or anything else, we pile on the chores. "I don't want to go to bed!" is met with sweeping the back patio. "Because I didn't want to." is met with cleaning the bathroom. We have also allowed our kids to pay us to do their chores for them, but we're not cheap! Cleaning my son's room costs him his PlayStation. Our kids know that if they don't want to do as they've been told, we
can find them something much more unpleasant to do instead.

22
0 31

i love the idea of having the kids pay you to do their chores i think i am going to try that

2 0

Stay calm and have a soft tone even when your giving some direction or redirection. When my voice sounds angry my tween mirrors it. Find time to play and laugh.

12
11 50

Funny this should be brought up, as I just finished an evening of "attitude adjustment" with my 12-yr daughter. She is a really good young lady, but lately has been SUPER CRANKY (pms/hormones), not following basic rules (refusal to take showers because she "gets cold"; not brushing her teeth and getting lectured at the orthodontist) and I have to CONSTANTLY nag her about being getting up and not being late. It is ridiculous! She is a straight A honors student and is in the school musical, but lately has been pushing the limits.

After she refused to eat dinner (she didn't like what we were having) I had enough! I gathered my thoughts about what needed to change/wouldn't be tolerated and began a discussion. I sat down with her and calmly reviewed expectations. For every action (or lack thereof) there is a consequence, starting with the loss of privileges. I agree--short periods work best. I left her alone to think about it for 30 minutes or so, then offered my help to her (homework, cleaning, whatever.) We ended up working together on a detailed homework assignment!! She apologized and was so grateful for my help that we actually had some laughs by the nights end. Not saying this will work for every tween/teen. It is a start!

11
1 13

My daughter is 12 and is going through the SAME stuff! She's in all honors classes and does well in school, except for the fact that she waits until the LAST minute to do stuff. She's also not into hygiene....like brushing her teeth and hair. I started brushing her hair so that she knows she can't leave the house all messy looking, and she does her own most of the time now. One thing that worked for me was actually sitting down with her and asking if anything was bothering her and asking if there was anything she wanted to talk about. She actually opened up and let me know a TON of things that were bugging her and now we really talk about stuff every day. Communication is key....when you can get them to listen and stop rolling their eyes.....

2 34

My son is 11 (Aug birthday), 5th grade. I have informed him that I will remove everything out of his room, except his bed, dresser and clothes. I will store them with a relative (they are aware of this) and he will have to earn everything back, it will be much more difficult to earn them back than it was when he got them. I am prepared to follow thru with this, if need be. This is for grades slipping, disrespecting others, back talk, etc... I believe in not spanking my child, personally, but I also believe that there are some individuals in this world that spanking is the only thing that works for them.

9
0 12

As a teacher, I had a student whose mother did this to her. Talk about a total transformation, both in school and out! Way to go mom!

1 15

Im a mother of 6 kids, 3 teens and 3 preteens, my suggestion is to take a time out, when trying to deal with a teen , tween or preteen, send them to their room for a much needed moment to think. When all is calm then approach them and let them know the behaviour was inappropriate. I am a true believer in second chances, explain that this will not be tolerated a second time from them. If a second time happens remove items from them , starting with one day and work your way up. Taking favorite items away for weeks at a time does not enforce any type of point, short periods of time have better results :) good luck to us all lol

8
2 3

I agree! This has worked in our family too....sometimes it takes a long time in their room for them to calmn down.but dont rush it.

40 30

I agree with what Catherine Somerville-Stonard says. Taking priviledges is probably the best thing after they have a good understanding of what is going on. The biggest thing you have to do is be consistant. Just like when your child was two, it cannot be OK to do this today and NOT OK tomorrow.

5
3 22

I also have tween and I think the best advice is to make sure everyone takes a timeout. Once everyone is calm then you can have a discussion. Most of the time my tween realizes she was wrong and she apologizes and we talk about it. At this age is where you want to be able to have that much
needed communication. God Bless us all!

3
731 11

Janice I'm impressed with your daughter admitting fault. My daughter who's 11 NEVER "realises she was wrong" - she gets into a furious sulk that will last hours, and never never never will she admit fault. She's been like this her whole life and we often fight about the lack of remorse thing rather than the original misbehaviour. She loses things but it makes no difference. Hmmmm.

0 5

This age is hard! I feel like my life has been turned upside down with my previously so obedient daughter, and especially as she has 4 younger siblings who are watching this live display of parenting "class". She is going through a lot of physical changes, so I know that is a part of it. One thing I am grateful for is that she knows we love her. It is hard to take things away when she makes bad choices, and honestly when she has no friends/phone/ tv/ computer for a week, it's hard not to feel like I'm getting punished too. However, we need her to know that some things are unacceptable, and there are consequences. Period.

If there is one thing I feel like has helped me, it is that kids need to be shown an increase of love during/ after discipline. That does NOT mean caving in and letting them get off without a consequence. But through it or after the punishment, love can be shown in many ways- one on one time, doing things together like making a dessert, playing a board or card game, reading out loud together, are examples. Hugs, kisses, and lists of good qualities and what I love about this child are other ways to show love. Helping them with their work also displays love. I think this is important- children who know they are cherished will continue to work on the relationship as you do. They will have stronger desires to obey and become confident, competent, adults.

With some kids or families, I also think therapy and a trip to the doctor can be so helpful. Sometimes people just have extra issues, sometimes through nobody's fault and sometimes because that's what life hands them. If they can use whatever tools are out there, they're more likely to overcome. With violence, I would advise for immediate intervention with the help of school counselors, family therapists, and drs.

Finally, prayer: because we all need God's help. He knows and loves that child and He knows what will help more than anyone else.

2
0 13

I found that removing things from my son wasn't working as much. Now, we have started a system where we not only punish bad behavior, but reward the good. My son is 13, and we have had our issues mainly with lying, homework/schoolwork and backtalk. We have decided, even at his age, to use a chart. He gets stars for good behavior and loses stars for bad behavior. He has to "buy back" the items that he lost as punishment by earning enough stars to do so. Each item is given a star value, and we allow him to help assign the values to them, within reason. That way, he feels as though he has truly worked to earn back what he has lost. It gives him the help he needs to empower himself to make good choices, instead of trying to lie to keep himself out of trouble. He has learned the hard way that we always find out the truth and it is better to tell the truth to start out with.

2
0 7

This is exactly, the problem we're having with our 9 year old son! We've tried grounding, verbally rewarding good behavior, etc. but nothing seems to be working and we're getting super frusterated with the situation. I think we'll give your system a try - something's gotta work eventually, right? :) Thanks, Kristen!!

5 24

I am the mother of a teenage boy and two tween girls. They are both 11, my daughter and step-daughter, two weeks apart in age. I feel that there should not be not set punishment but should be based on the child and what the childs personality, temperment and interests are. I also feel that the act for which they are being punished should be taken into consideration. My daughter is ADHD/ODD and is very loud, outgoing, energetic, disorganised and has a very short temper, she is also very defiant. My step-daughter on the other hand is very easygoing, laidback, a neatfreak, and strives to make everyone happy. One of the common things that the girls get punished for is arguing and fighting therefor the punishment is some kind of chore that forces them to work together, such as cleaning the bathroom. Something I use for my daughter is we sit down and talk and I allow her to voice her opinion on why she commited said "crime" and what her punishment should be. It makes her think about what she has done and what the punishment should be. One of the punishments she absoulutely hates the most is writing lines. It works at school, why shouldn't it work at home? I'll usually discuss what the problem is and then decide what the line should be and then depending on how mad I am at the time give a value of how many times she has to write the line, of course the line reiterates the crime and how she will not do it. An example may be if she sass-mouths my husband or I; I will respect my mom and dad and I will not back talk them. Usually the crime is not commited again for several months.

2
0 13

That was a punishment for me growing up, and I hated it. I will occasionally use this on my son as well. It seems that the offense will not be repeated for some time.

0 19

Go by the Goodwill and fill up the closet. This took away ALL the attitude that my son was giving me. He finally understood that we work hard so he can have nice things, so he needs to work hard at taking care of them. He has also learned that he must respect us in order to keep these things and to continue receiving them. Sometimes my son just needs to be grounded, not the sit in your room for two weeks, but reality that he cannot act this way and still get to have/do the things he wants.

1
0 79

I agree with restricting privileges. I always tell her that things like games internet/TV time are not rights and they can and will be taken away. I guess she never believed I would take them away until I actually did. It took some time for her to come around but she eventually did. It worked so well that she was originally being punished for her temper and disrespectful attitude but it seems that it solved another problem as well. She is normally very resistant when it's time to get ready for school. The biggest struggle is getting her out of bed and when she finally gets up she moves soooooooo slow it's difficult to watch without getting angry. I have been battling with her for years with this and it seems that her punishment has showed her that I'm serious and her stuff/privileges can and will be taken away I also agree that communication is extremely important. She was always very comfortable opening up to me about anything and that hasn't changed except that now she lives in La La Land and she only talks about TV and books and fictional stuff. That leaves me to wonder if this is all that's important to her right now or if shes starting to hide the important stuff. What's your take moms?

1
2 37

im starting to learn that the kids need tv,phone,ipod,ds as privillege. i feel that i myself have at times found that letting her watch tv or play game keeps my home less hectic, buer t my daughter is 12 with autism n other issues she is backed up acts lke a 8ish9 yr old, and the things kids her age are doing she chids bout it immaturely...as to fam guy usually tween watches it wit out parents ok and giggles n is over the cursing n pervertedness i found my child watching n replaying the damn song 12 times in one hr laughing bout sex n violence are u serious. so the talk bout if u want to be treated like a young lady u can not be immature bout it doesnt work cuz then i outcast her. however new thing im trying she behaves n works up her chart for tv time i pick hrs when certain shows arent on and she gets mayb 2 hrs all together of tv time, half hr on comp,her cell she can have half hr in morn half hr after lunch n half hr after dinner to text or make calls after that phone is in my hands.life 360 is a free dl on cells its great to know where the kids are map it,gps it,message them through it,and it shows all the sex predators near the area. that tool every parent should have. if she doesnt do responsibilities like chores , hygene then she loses her lil free time the extreme depends on the crime commited lol! the tv was way too much for mine shes same lala land girl i think i want to push more christian stuff like youth groups,and verse a day n what it means to them, and read from bible every night cause since i stopped due to hectic wit 2 pre teens one had brain surgery from stroke and i slacked n attitudes slacked need to get right with the lord!

0 3

Same with mine ... she just turn 13 and has been having a very ugly attitude towards me and her dad ....
She slammed her bedroom door to her dad and he took the door down .. so no privacy for her ....
I decided to give her the silent treatment and it is killing her ...
I just hope this attitude of her does not last too long ....

1
0 13

I grew up in a family that was very close. I realize that dealing with a 13 year old can be very difficult at times, however, I feel that while taking down the door is something that I understand, the silent treatment is not. A teenager, especially a girl, needs guidance, not silence. I know that it bothers her that you are doing that, but it is not helping her. She needs to be able to talk to her mother not be ignored by her.

6 14

I recommend the books the negotiation generation and the entitlement trap. They will give you great tools!

1
5 69

Yes...I'm am agreeing with a lot of what has been said. Taking things away like the game systems, the cell phone and facebook will totally make them think.

1
5 3

I have a tween that is consistantly doing (not doing) the same thing. I allow my children to have a fair amount of freedom. We live in a small community. However, I must know where they are at all times. If they change places I must have a telephone call. This child constantly moves around and no telephone call. I found out over the weekend that she wasn't where she was supposed to be due to a facebook post by the mother of where she was supposed to be. I called and confirmed that she wasn't with them and she had told the mother she was going to another child's house.

Any thoughts? Right now she is not allowed to leave our yard unless she is with an older sibling.

1
1 15

Hi Leslie, My thoughts are that you be consistent with your current grounding. Stick to it and she will eventually see that you are serious about your rules. Kids will always try to get away with things and you being on top of it shows her that she isnt going to get away with much without paying huge consequences . On top of this restriction you have now, try giving her short periods of time on her computer ,ipod , cell, or home phone, maybe allow her an hour on one of her favorite things once a day for a while until she starts to settle down a bit.....hope this helps , take care

8 0

My attitude is "try me, MFer," but only when I need to bring the thunder. It works wonders. Parenting is supremely indulgent these days. Oh, I'm not the boss of you? Okay, let me see that gorgeous iphone 5s I got for you - a phone that's nice than mine, by the way. Fighting me on giving it up? You better not go to sleep kid, because it's going to be smashed and waiting for you on the table in the morning, so you won't be tweeting your BFFs tomorrow.

0
11 0

welcome to our website:

------- http://www.chic-goods.us/ --------

if you like to order anything you like.

More details,

please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;

Service is our Lift.

enjoy yourself.

thank you!!

------- http://www.chic-goods.us/ -----

0
28 0

http://beatastasak.hubpages.com/hub/When-does-our-mind-really-mature-and-think-like-adults-Is-it-different-for-each-gender

I was thinking about this issue in my hub, maybe it will be helpful:)

0
2 0

Spanking (not too hard and only with your hand) and take away fun things. I take away my sons video game rights, computer use and phone use. I also make him go to bed earlier. He is 11.

0
0 0

I was fed up with being disrespected, back chatted and taken for granted, do I went on strike. I did the cooking but stopped the taxi service, stopped doing the laundry, ironing etcclearing plates from the table, washing up the pans, loading the dishwasher were no longer my responsibilit. My son found it worse than having the electronics confiscated as they were sat looking at him but he had no time to play with them!!! This punishment seemed to work.....we have had a much cheerier, helpful son since

0
0 10

The only thing that works in our house is taking away the electronics...........

0
0 8

My daughter is 12 and I too have been very frustrated about lack of hygiene, RESISTANCE, and white lies. I find when I walk her through things they get done but don't always have the time to do that. We also make an agreement with consequences on paper so there would be no room for argument. This has worked in the moment but we still have the same behaviors coming up. Any ideas on how to inspire better behavior?

0
0 0

How do you discipline a tween that is also bipolar and has ADD?

0
0 0

Revocation of priviledges starting with the least important and gradually moving up until you have stripped them of their creature comforts. I usually start off with taking away gadgets (iPod, Kindle, cell phone, TV, radio) and then priviledges like a Friday night teen activity that is held at a local church, being picked up from school as opposed to walking with friends. I never involve chores in punishments because chores are your responsibility whether you are grounded or not. Dishes, floors, her room, her bathroom are all her responsibilities. I make a rule that when grounding is in effect....I don't care what comes up under the sun. Prom, school trip, clubs, your cousin's wedding...I don't care what it is...you're not going! You and your husband/partner have to be on the same wave with this or it won't work. I've also been known to "flip out" and give her a dose of her own attitudenal, uncooperative behavior in places like Wal*mart or the mall where we might run into some of her cult followers (friends). I kind of fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants with the parenting thing.

0
0 5

My husband and I have literally removed EVERYTHING from our son's room...he had a TV, a game console, cool wall track hot wheels things, all kinds of toys, all that jazz...we left him with his clothes, bed/bedding and that's it. He's 10, will be 11 in June and he takes his punishments rather stoically, improves where he needs to improve, and we don't have any more problems with that particular issue.

Our daughter (just turned 9) is another story entirely...she is prone to screaming fits that drive us insane, severe back talk, even occasional hitting...we've tried everything with her that we've done with our son and nothing works, I don't understand.

0
0 0

My son is the same way. We have a daughter who is 12 and gets the reason for her punishment the 1st time...our son doesn't. He can get a spanking for lying or TV time taken away today and by tomorrow we are back to doing it all over again. The difference I have noticed is my son he is so busy being mad at me for taking something away or spanking him it never registers with him why he got in trouble to start with. Although, he was diagnosed with ADHD just a few months ago so, this is all new territory for the entire family... my point is I have found that if I make him go to his room and have his time then I make him tell me why he thinks he got in trouble. Sometimes he is right sometimes he doesn't quite get it so I explain why he is being punished. Seems to have helped some. :)

2 8

I have a 13 year old that has become extremely violent. I've tried everything that is suggested below and nothing works. If you try to correct him he just gets worse, send him to his room and he'll keep the fight going, ignore him and he just keeps pushing, spank him he swings back. I don't want to ship him off to military school but I'm at the end of my rope with him. This child I love with all my heart is single handedly killing me, my husband, and our marriage. His sister also sees what he's doing and tries to talk to him about it but all that does is get her hurt. I've tried to contat the cops but they try to stay out of it until there is physical evidence, like one of us getting bruises from him hitting, but anytime I get a new bruise they suspect my husband because of his stature. At this point the only thing I can think to do is pray it calms down on it's own and let him have his way all the time

0
3 22

Definitely pray about this, however giving him his way is not the answer. There must be a reason he is so angry. I definitely suggest some kind of intervention before he gets to the age that it will put him in jail when he has these out burst. I would talk to his pediatrician and see if there is a medical reason for his behavior, including drug testing. Good luck and God Bless.

20 39

I have 12 year old son who has a real problem with listening! He has seen several counselors so far and right now he is seeing one from SAS for 90 days to try and help him. I had to admit him to Methodist hospital in our area because he decided to get mad one night and stab his stuffed animal he has had since he was a little boy several times and it scared me to death! I was scared to sleep for several nights! I don't believe he would hurt us, but he did admit he had fleeting thoughts about hurting his step-father. So we admitted him over at the hospital and after a week, they felt it was safe for him to go home, but he needed more counseling and they put him on anti-anxiety medication. He takes that every day! Even after this counseling, I see some improvement, but he still has lots of problems with listening. He wants to debate everything! I can send him to his room to calm down, but then he won't stop there. He will continue to debate until I get so angry. I have learned to stay calm and not argue with him, but it's very difficult at times. I guess i just want him to grow out of this! He has been acting like this for year! I know part of it is that his natural Father isn't being the Father he should. Recently he took another job, flying to Las Angeles on Sunday and returning on Thursday's. There are has already been two weekends he has not been able to see him. I have learned I cannot change his Father, but it just kills me inside because I guess I figured no matter what happened between his Father and I, that they would always be close!

0
10 53

I agree with all of you that communication is key. At this stage my 10 year old girl needs those talks. Sometimes she gets in trouble over just misunderstanding, but sometimes she's just being rebellious ... those are time out and take away times.

0