How do you divide household responsibilities?

Everyone's working, caring for the children, running around trying to get things done, and you're noticing that there maybe some uneven distribution of household chores and other tasks. How can you ensure that everything is fair, so that you both have time to recuperate?

0 4

My husband and I have the rule that one of us cooks and the other one cleans up afterward. We also divide up bedtime responsibilities with our 3 year old daughter. One of us gives her a bath and the other one gets her pajamas on and reads her a bedtime story. As far as the rest of the house work...I end up doing most everything else and my husband helps with the laundry. He does do all of the lawn care and fixing of the cars. We are still a work in progress though... :)

2
9 0

I was a stay at home Mom till my daughter started pre-school and from then on I told my kids to fold their clothes and put them away..never the best way but it was a start and asked hubby to help around with the vacuuming and cleaning while I tackled the kitchen and and laundry..I gave up trying to keep house during the week..cook for the week on a Sunday and pack away everything in the refrigerator and do laundry once a week and cleaning only on Saturdays..less stressful when you know you don't have to clean everyday..bottom line is you do what works for you..

2
1 0

As a stay-at-home mom I have come to realize that there will never be an equal division of labor. I will always work 14 hour days and weekends, never get a pay check or a sick day. FIghting this idea for 5 years has only led to frustration and angst, so I just accept it as the truth and roll with it. Excuse me I have to go scrub the toilet and as I am my husband will be asking me to scratch his back. Pfffft!

2
1 0

Shortly after my husband and I got married, I understood that I was taking on all of the responsibilities myself. I decided to write all of the chores down and then presented the list to my spouse. We proceeded to sign our name next to each item on the list and keep that in a drawer. It's difficult to argue when something's in writing and has signatures on it :)

1
2 0

I don't know what's worse, staying at home and cleaning up all day, or coming home from the office, only to deal with it all (house and kids and pooling kids to extra-curriculars) "after hours". Having done each, I think it is wise to discuss the uneven distribution with the children, to have them pitch in any way they can (folding laundry, picking up after themselves, or even helping prepare dinner - cutting veggies, etc.). Sharing the tasks just makes it more pleasant. Getting a good afternoon nap during my 2.5 yr old's nap time is always a charm!

1
8 0

As a single woman, and with only Serafina who isn't due until January, I do everything. When i was married I still had to do everything, even when he was off work and I wasn't.

0
18 0

it is really hard to devide the households with your husban because as we all know husbands dont like houseworks.I and my husband both work,I work 8 hours a day and he works more because he has a private bussines.And this means I am staying with my doughter more than him.He is very practical in the house.I do the washing up ,clean the bathroom and cook.While he irons his clothes,takes care of my daughter while I am cooking.At weekends he sometimes cooks.We bath our daughter together,change wipes together.He usually do these in the evening.Or he takes her to his office when our daughter has noone to take care off,when her grandma is leaving town.These may not be great things for a man to do but he helps me a lot

0
3 0

Ask your husband to take over cooking, dish washing, vacuming the house and you take over the children's education, disciplining the children like guiding them o keep things back in the intended slot, not wasting resources like taking bath for a longer period or allowing the air conditioners to run unnecessarily even after everyone has woken up.

-5