How do you encourage your child to start walking?

0 30

My daughter Alexis jus turned 8 months and she's crawling, sitting up, and trying to pull herself to stand all on her own. I hold her hands and let her walk with me around the living room table, or a lap around the main floor. It gives her a chance to practice and teaches her the art of walking. She loves it to. She's always thrilled at the idea of being able to get around like everyone else in the family :)

1
14 0

My son was 14 months when he started walking. We would let him get down into the floor, and try to get him to move between me and his dady. help him the first few steps, then let go. clap and say yay you did a great job!! let him know hes done good:) it shouldnt be long after that

0
0 0

my daughter was 17months but she will not walk her self alone.what will i do?

0
0 0

Hey I'm precious my daughter shez 11 months old shez not crawling or even trying to walk. Iv tried helping her. By putting toys of her reach n still nothing & wen shez inside da walker she runs n jumps so I dnt knw if I should be worried or not coz shez turning 1 year next month

0
2 0

with my LO he just started walking at 9 months and 5 days. first i think they have to master standing by themselfs un supported. first i would walk with him holding both hands then we worked onto just one hand. and then i would let go and he would stand there for a few seconds.. which then turned to a minute. then what i did i would stand him up and back off and show him something shiny or something he really liked playing with and if he fell down i would stand him back up and if he took a step i would clap and go YAY!!! good job. and he is now walking across the house. ohh btw all this is barefooted.

0
2 0

oh and i wouldnt carry him around the house unless i needed to get something fast. i would hold his hand and let him walk.

51 20

From a mother of 4 - they will do it when they are good and ready.
You can try to delay it a little (if they're very young, say under 1 year, and you're worried about them hurting themselves as they don't have the same spacial awareness they'll develop over the next few months).
There is nothing that consistently 'works' to make children walk.
Mine have been:
1yr, 1day
11 3/4 mths
14 mths
15 1/2 mths
They all have different personalities, different body shapes and masses and had different environments (eg, the youngest had 3 willing slaves to fetch for her - why would she bother? whereas no.2 liked having an audience, so got going 'early' on Christmas Eve when the whole extended family were there to watch & applaud!)
I don't know why there's this pressure to 'get children walking'. I think you should focus on the progress your bub is making in all areas. If they're making leaps ahead in speech, or in following instructions, or ... whatever, that is going to take their focus. The walking will happen when they're ready to focus on it.
Hilarious memories from trying to get the eldest, not to walk, but to crawl! She was pulling up on furniture at just over 7 mths, was cruising on furniture by 8mths; but would she crawl?? H**l no!
I think my favourite memory is watching my 6ft2 husband giving her crawling 'demonstrations' while she sat there, laughed at funny Daddy, and still refused to crawl.
We left all of the others to their own devices and they crawled and walked in their own time, with no problems.

0
21 43

My daughter was 10 months old when she started walking. Before she was walking on her own her Dad & I had held her hands and helped walk around the house. She would pull up on her toys and walk around them but wouldn't let go but at 10 months I guess she just got brave because she let go & started walking without assistance

0
2 0

my daughter was 21 months when she first started to walk holding on to things. in 2 weeks she has masted that and it now running around the house like shes been walking years. we tried everything to get her to walk, brought her everything too and nothing worked. The best advice i would say leave your child and they will do it in their own time. But of course every child is also different.

0
2 52

Well I took my son's left n right hands n walked wth him n even practiced wth him on walking by himself my son started walking by himself when he was 15mo n he is 16mo walking by himself but he is a little wobly still he is still trying 2 walk by himself

0
8 62

My daughter is almost 14months now and started walking at 11months. I think it is really important to have two people sit leg length away from each other and let your little one walk back and forth. Cheer them on when they take a few steps & keep them trying a couple times each day. The little ones really do love this. I also went out and bought walk/push toys. Your little one will walk when they are ready though. My son started at 10months, but did everything early. It will happen soon & prepare yourself of the tornado that's going to whip through. If your ittle one is anything like mine then he or she will destroy almost everything rather quickly. I just learned to pick up when she goes to bed at night. Good luck...

0
8 62

oh, and she still will not wear shoes!

20 44

i would stand my baby up next to his portacrib and place his hands on it then take a step away and call him to me.. he stumbled but once he knew mommy would catch him and it was a game.. he enjoyed it and once he got the one step down i would take two steps back and so on... it worked and he had fun.

0