How do you feel about 6 year old having chores?

Chores are often thought of as a good way for kids to learn responsibilities, but when do you start? Is 6 years old too young to have chores?

16 3

6 is definitely not too young! My son started helping me by putting away the clean silverware at age 4. He loved it. When he was 8 he "graduated" to unloading/reloading the rest of the dishwasher, and my daughter (who was then 4), took over the silverware job. She is 6 now, and she also takes out the garbage from all the small trash cans (bedrooms, bathrooms), as well as putting away her own laundry, and matching/folding socks and underwear. Every now and then they dust and vacuum, too. The sooner you start them helping out, the easier it is. Get them started when it is still "fun to help mom"! :) Good luck!

14
5 20

6 is almost too late! Children should learn and share in responsibilities from a very young age. Not only do they learn about responsibility, they become more self-confident, conscientious, and reliable as they mature. A 3 year old can put napkins on the table for dinner, pick up and put away his/her toys (that should be a parental expectation from the time they begin to pick up and use toys! :), fold wash clothes (I know: this sounds silly --- but it's a prerequisite to their cognitive development..In this case, folding into halves and quarters is both a pre-math skill and also a fine motor skill)....."Chores" or responsibilities in the home make the transition to school much more easier for the child. In K, he/she will be expected to share, clean-up after themselves, and be required to respect the routine and patterns of a classroom. If the child has not been held accountable to small chores in the home, school will be a difficult transition.....And as a parent, you'll be pulling your hair out by the time your child is 10! :)

10
5 20

As a side note: don't pay your child for what he/she should be responsible for! These are expectations of living within a family and a community.....When the child is older and wants to earn money for something special, then consider offering a "job" (something outside of the normal routine).....Both the child and you will be better off and happier!

4 13

My 5 year old has 3 chores he has to do every day BESIDES cleaning up his own messes and getting dressed, bathed etc. His chores are: Sweep the stairs, pick up the yards (front and back) of all toys, trash etc, and straiten up the downstairs bathroom. (He doesn't do anything with chemicals, but he can pick up any trash, laundry, etc. well enough.

9
13 18

My kids have always had "chores", but you have to make sure they are age appropriate chores. One of the chores my kids had at an early age is to pick up their toys, take their dishes to the counter and so on. Now that my kids are older they can put away dishes, mow the lawn, pick up dog doo, keep their rooms clean. My kids don't get paid for their chores. They are a part of our family and are expected to do their part in helping with household chores.

6
7 20

My 8 year older daughter and my 6 year old son both have chores. My 8 year old sorts the laundry and the 6 year old takes out the trash and they both got to clean up behind the family pet Kermit the cat. They also must put dishes in the sink after they eat and wipe down the mates. It's a good way to teach them to think of others and just not themselves. It also makes it easier in school when the teacher gives them classroom chores. As a teacher I can tell the ones who do chores at home compared to the ones who don't.

5
6 20

My six year old has two types of chore: 1) Chores for being a part of the family. We all live here and we all have to take care of ourselves and each other. Those are: 1) Rotating with brother every month on either feeding the dogs/filling their water bowls and taking care of our two guinea pigs, 2) taking out the trash, 3) setting and cleaning up the table, 4) keeping room clean and last but not least 5) picking up his toys everyday and putting them back where they belong.
His second type of chores are (these he gets allowance for) 1) Every Sunday he vaccums his room, 2) dusts his room, 3) Cleans his and his brothers sink in their bathroom (I"m watching him because I have to spray the cleaner for him) and the bathroom toilet, and 4) vaccum the hallway upstairs.

Although the second set of chores he gets paid for, he knows they are not an option and he gets $5 a week. 1/2 of it goes into a bank account for him and the other 1/2 he gets in cash to use as he wants. I do not give him any other money and if he wants something out of cycle (birthday, christmas, etc.) he has to use his money to buy it. Of course there are times i give in and buy something for him, but I try to hold those times to a minimum.

4
7 18

My son also feeds his dog. I told him that he is your dog therefore he is your responsibility. He also has to brush his dog and vacuum up the dog hair :) Great way to teach them! Also, at 3, he gets one trip to the dollar store every month and one big toy and the end of the year around his birthday/Christmas to reward him for being so good.

13 11

no way is it to young. miss 5 year old in morning feeds animals, opens curtains, makes bed, unloads dishwasher, gets her lunch off bench and packs school bag. and gets herself ready for school including her own breakfast. she gets stickers... so many stickers at end of the week and she gets a treat, may be an extra ride at pony club or as simple as a late night with a "teddy bears picninc" and a dvd with us

3
4 0

I think its never too young to lern to responsible! It's not bad or someing to be ashamed of your helping your child become a more responsible indpendent human being! My 2 girls (12 and 11) have little dry erase calenders and they have a diffrent chore everyday and getpaid $1 a chore! so they can save up to buy new toys!

2
88 11

I dont think children are ever too young to learn responsibility, and giving a child something that they are responsible for doing, such as cleaning up their toys or helping mommy put the clothes in the dryer when they are young, and as they get older and can understand things more, give them different things to do. My son is 3 and he helps me dry dishes, and fold clothes, because at that age it is fun to be helpful. And, of course, he is responsible for picking up his toys when he is done playing with them. I think as long as the "chore" is something they can do, what harm is there in teaching them responsibility?

2
12 4

I think it's fantastic! It shows them to be responsible at an early age. Shortly after they will be attending school. So it gives them a great head start. It also teaches much more. When kids learn how to be responsible at an early age they are more respectful and thoughtful of others around them.Observing the children also gives you a good indication of how the parents are.

2
4 0

I have four kids...yes its a full time job! I was always overwhelmed and felt like I wasn't doing a good job at anything. I researched cleaning recommendations for frequencies and then came up with a plan using index cards. My friends loved it and I made them for them and eventually began selling them online. You can check it out at www.springcleanyearround.blogspot.com
It saved my life!! It has recommendations for chores children can do at their age too. I award them with video game/ipod time/computer games. No chores, no screen time! They beg for some chores!!

1
17 20

My daughter started chores just after 2. It start with cleaning up her toys. If she could get them out she could put them away. At 3 she was making her bed, putting her dirty washing in the washing basket, putting her pj's on her bed once it was made.She loved to help with the dishes and dinner, She is now almost 4 and a half. and has many chores. Each day she must make her bed, tidy her toys,,she is responsible for fedding her pet rabbit, and kitten. cleaning the bathrrom up after her kitten, helping to clean the kittens litterbox. cleaning the rabbits hutch on he own once a week. she chooses her clothes, gets herself dressed and undressed brushes her own hair. se is a very independant girl. yet she was not forced to do any of this, she does them because she wants to. Dont get me wrong she may sound like an absolute angel, but still has the usual 4year old tantrums, but was taught responsibility from a young age. Her brother now at 2 and a half is begining similar chores. 6 is far to late to be staring children on chores

1
16 59

6 is not too young. My son has chores to do on a daily basis. He also makes his own lunch for school, dresses himself, bathes himself, brings the empty trash cans from the front and cleans out his kitten's litter box. He also takes his dirty clothes to the laundry room, and puts them in the washer/dryer, puts his own clothes away, and folds his socks. Within the year, he'll be folding and putting away his own clean clothes. He also clears the dinner dishes.

1
0 0

My 5 year old empties the dishwasher when it is done. She has her own washing basket which she helps fold and put away her clothes in to the draws. A great effort is made, making the bed and putting her shoes away. My children get pocket money which encourages them to help around the house.

1
5 6

My son is 6 and started to get very interested in an allowance, so we talked about what jobs he would like to do around the house. I am a single parent, so he is expected to help out anyway, but chores are above and beyond the expectations that he already has. We just got a chore chart, and since he is learning how to read, it will all start coming together. I don't nag him about his chores, but he seems to be pretty self motivated, and proud of himself when he can see what he has accomplished.

1
59 0

You can start even as early as three. When you are doing dishes, have your child put his cup in the dishwasher. Let him use the "magic dish cleaner" (soap wand) to clean his bowl and utensils. Use the fairy tales and super hero characters to do "Cinderella cleaning as you Hum and dust. Use Spiderman hands to clean the sticky syrup off the table. Kids love to help, they just don't get the opportunities because it's easier to do it ourselves. But if we can teach much self-reliance and confidence when they are young and when they get to be 6 or 8 there will be much they can do to make your life easier and they have learned a great deal of how to make the family a wonderful place to live. We use a neat little family program that encourages children to ask how they could help or just start helping and tell us they did something for us as a VIP. It is called The Happy Face Token System. I tell the children I will give them tokens if they will do what I say the first time I ask them. But the amount is not disclosed. When they ask me how many, I will say: When you ask me that question, I will say None, but thank you for contributing to our happy family and doing it for free! They soon start jumping up to help and offer services hoping to get even one token. It is the neatest little system and it has really made our family happy. To see more about the system there is a web site about the question of weather we bribe or bless our children.
http://christcenterdparenting.com/bribe.html
The book also has lots of great cleaning lists that teach self-reliance with do/did ideas for teaching accountability and honesty.

0
2 0

I started two "chore" lists, one was for normal morning and night "to do's" that she can do so we don't constantly have to tell her what to do such as brush your teeth, clean out your sink, hang up your towel after your bath, take a bath, put your clothes in the hamper, pick up toys. Then we had another list which was her chore list such as feed/water your dog, set dinner table, put your laundry away when there is any, empty your trash, clean your room, make your bed. It became a matter that I'm not a mom (nor her mom) and this was my idea from reading books, parent mag, and things like this however her dad knows her best and feels that she's too young at 5, going on 6 in Jan, that she we should still do things for her and tell her what to do. Parents, wouldn't this still make her a dependent child? Will she not learn valuable lessons that we need as adults or will she still learn them when she's 7 or 8 when we do start these chores? I'm not sure what is better and thought I would ask.

0
1

0
9 0

I agree that six is almost too late. I have had three children and by age two or three, they were expected to help out around the house. Cleaning their rooms, sweeping the back deck, setting the table (if they could reach haha). It is never too early to have your child start helping you out, and it instills the value of hard work in them at an early age. Just don't expect perfection and keep the tasks age-appropriate! :)

0
23 0

When my son was 1 and half years old and was just walking on his own he was shown where the trash bin was in my kitchen and we would tell him take the paper napkin to the trash bin and he loved picking up things from his grand mom and anyone who was there and taking it to the trash bin.!! So by the time he was 3 years old he started with putting the napkins on the kitchen table and putting away his toys in the toy box. He is now 8 years old and does quite a bit for me now like taking out the trash (haha) he cleans his room by making his bed, dusting, vacuums, puts away his clothes, empties the dishwasher and puts away the dishes. His 5 year old brother does the same. I do not reward them for this with money but they get to play with WII for an extra hour.

0
316 12

no, not too you.g. My 6 year old has chores. My 21 month old even knows to pick his tots up when he is done and he loves throwing trash away.

0
769 4

my sick year old is made take out her washing and dirty dishes and help with cleaning her room and she feeds the cat has to be reminded though

0
27 35

My daughter is six, and she sets the table for meals,clears away after the meal and also cleans off the table. In addition (because she likes to be a helper) after we take the trash from the small cans, she replaces the liners. She is always proud when she receives praise or feels she has done a good job.

0
21 0

No way! Six is not too young. Mine started helping out at the ripe old age of 3 years. Nothing major, just helping with dishes or learning how to fold laundry, scooping the dog's food. The youngest is 7 and all the kids do dishes, their own laundry, pet care, room cleaning, plant watering, various organizational chores, can crushing etc. They (as time permits) plan meals that are age/ability appropriate, shop for said meal. cook and serve it (with as much or as little assistance as needed).

The time is now! Make it fun. My kids have their regular chores (room, dishwasher, laundry), are expected to do other chores when asked and are occasionally offered extra chores for some minimal pay (which I save for them until they have banked enough to buy what they choose whether it be a food treat or something more expensive and long lasting). Good luck!

0
0 18

you can ask her/him like keeping thing on its place like plates and spoons and toys just to make him get use of doing something in the house then when he grow he will be already know that he has to help.because thats what im doing with my small girl of 4going 5year old

0
11 17

WOW...suck wonderful answers!!! i have nothing to add...i voted for a bunch of them!....lol...i agree...never too soon to start teaching responsiblility!!!

0
235 30

It depends on the chore. When our kids turned 3, we had them be in charge of taking the recycling items out to the recycling bin with some supervision/assistance by the person on garbage for the week. I think once kids are 8 they can do most chores like dishes, sweeping, mopping, wiping down and taking out the garbage. However bear in mind that at 8 they will not do it as well as you would so there still needs to be supervision and reminding and showing multiple times how to do the chore completely in a manner that's acceptable to you. If you're patient and kind eventually they will learn and the reminders etc. will need to be done less and less. Also they may still need help. For instance my 9 year old can load the dishwasher and wash dishes by hand just fine, but she is too short to put certain items away safely so she stacks them on the counter and one of the older siblings or myself comes and puts them away. By age 12 kids are capable of learning how to do laundry. Machines are more complicated these days so be prepared to show them several times which buttons they need to press before they remember on their own. Teens won't be as vigilant as you though about checking pockets, sorting colors and checking to see which items can't go in the dryer. So if you have a lot of special care clothing don't have you kids be in charge of laundry. My children each have a kitchen chore to do each night. Each week they rotate to a different kitchen chore and they have that chore, say dishes, for a week. Then on the calendar I have abbreviations for a different room to be deep cleaned each day. When they don't have school they are expected to clean that room for the day before they can go hang out with friends. They divide up the tasks so between the 4 of them they don't have too much to do. Usually the easier tasks are given to the younger ones or an older one cleans the bathroom mirror because the 9 year old can't reach it. So there are some practical things you have to keep in mind when assigning chores to your children. Some vacuums are very heavy to push and a 6 year old might not be quite strong enough. I am VERY picky about my laundry so I choose to do that myself. All my older children though have been shown how to do it and have had to do it before when I have been out of town, seriously ill or at the hospital with my son, so that when they are on their own they will know how.

0
17 36

I agree with a previous post in that it's nearly too late! lol My 3 year old has chores! He helps load and unload the silverware, he picks up his toys and he helps me set the table, to name a few. It's good for them!

0
86 8

6 is definitely not too young. My 3 year old has chores. It's his responsibility to help feed the cats, to help put away his clean laundry, and to help put away his dishes when I unload the dishwasher. I say as soon as they start trying to "help" you let them.

0
1 7

My 2 year old and 5 year old have chores. They are simple things like clearing their dishes, picking up toys, drawing a picture for a family member, just fun things around the house. They feel special when they get stickers at the end of the night for helping out the family.

0
3 0

My three year old daughter doesn't have any formal chores, but I can expect her to pick up her Squinkies and she enjoys helping me sweep. I think it's a good idea to monopolize on kids excitement to help out when it's still fun for them.

0
14 1

I believe a six year old is old enough to clear their own plates of the able after a meal, to put their shoes and jackets in the right spot, to keep their rooms in order after a playdate. I don''t think a six year old should have to wash bathrooms, empty trashcans, vacuum.... the bigger chores. Those chores are to much and take to long, children should have the time to play and read and create art.

0
20 15

All my children have had chores since they were able to walk.

0
8 11

ABSOLUTELY. Small chores like taking dirty laundry to laundry room, cleaning up behind themselves definately. Helping with other household chores as needed - for sure a child is never too young to have chores.

0
24 59

I have started having my daughter do chores and she is just under 4. I don't think it's too early to begn teaching them responsibility.

0
8 43

No its not too early but just keep it age appropriate like picking up toys, room maybe setting the table to helping you with whatever he/she can. My 5 yr old has chores and they are keep toys picked up around the house and your room clean. Also what ever I'm doing at the time that she can help with. The earlier they start the better off you both are so your not trying to "change" habits when their older.

0
13 5

My 3 year old has chores already. Every night he cleans up his room before going to bed, after meals, he will take his plate to the sink and on laundry day he help me put the clothes in the washer and take them out of the dryer, he even attempts to fold them. He loves to help out around the house. I think it is important to start children out young while they still think its fun.

0
9 1

my 4 yr old helps with things. she will help load washing machine and dishwasher she even brings washing down from her bedroom. she does more then my 13 yr old.

0
7 18

My son is 3 and I have him help me cook, do laundry, put away dishes and clean up his own room. He also loves to vacuum. I thought "What better way to teach your child to make sure that their own home/room stays clean than to start teaching him early?" Since 18 months, my son has been helping out. He started with just putting his own garbage where it belonged and cleaning up his toys. He is a very good help to me because I am a stay-at-home Mom and I believe the earlier you instill values the better because it will become their norm. :)

0
6 3

My son started having "chores" at age 5. Age age 6 we gave him daily responsibilities: feeding the cat, making his bed, putting his breakfast dishes in the dishwasher, and remembering to take his homework and library books back to school. Also, on weekends he sorts laundry, folds towels and helps water the garden if asked. He also needs to do his best to keep his bedroom picked up and his bathroom tidy. We expect him to put away toys, games and art supplies when he's done using them. Luckily, his Montessori school has taught him to do this since he was two, so I rarely ever have to ask him to clean anything up. To teach him about handling money, we give him a $5/week allowance. We don't "pay" him to do chores, because we expect him to help out as a member of the family. He can use this allowance money any way he likes (except for unhealthy foods -those require a parental okay). Once he saves $100, we will open a savings account for him. He's saved about $40 so far, Last week, he spent $25 on an angry birds fleece blanket, which he now says was "too expensive." I'm happy that he's learning these lessons now. We haven't run into a situation where he refuses to help around the house. If that happens we may suspend his allowance, or consider other consequences.

0