How do you get picky toddlers to eat better?

If you have a picky toddler, how do you make sure they still eat a balanced and nutritious diet? What have you done that has improved their eating habits?

7 0

at meal times I put a well balanced meal in front of meal boys 2 & 4. we all eat the same thing. if they do not eat there dinner they dont get any thing else healthy or not and no fruit after. if they live just a bit of one thing eg. my 4 year old wont eat tomatoes and that is all he leaves then he can have a piece of fruit. I believe if they are hungry they will eat what ever is put in front of them. I am not willing to make seperate meals. My 2 year old is fussy but is improving and will eat most things I put in front of him now.

2
2 30

I agree, Tamara...I'm not becoming a short-order chef. My guy is only 19 months old so he doesn't understand the "if you don't eat your dinner, you don't get dessert". We don't let him have a lot of sweets anyway, but all he wants to eat are the empty calorie foods...the crackers, dry cereal and what not. So I cut out those snacks and only offer cheese, yogurt, My mom suggested to finely grate up veggies in pasta too...but lately he's pushing away foods that I KNOW he likes, such as spaghetti. Hopefully it gets better before it gets worse!

9 4

I recently read an article about how toddlers need a lot of whole grains / carbs in their diets, so it's OK if they prefer that. I offer my daughter what I eat, and make sure she has all the food groups. She prefers to eat her foods individually so I generally break up her foods on her plate. beans, broccoli, lettuce and kashi crackers, wheras I may have a burrito or a salad . She's goofy though and won't eat normal kid food like PBJ and Mac-n-cheese. A great site for healthy, kid-friendly food is weelicious.com. There are also great books out there like THE SNEAKY CHEF.

1
19 1

You are very right Becky... they do need whole grains/carbs in their diet and unlike another poster said.. it is not "empty calorie snacks". I love the whole grain crackers.. and there are quite a variety of them. My son loves whole grain cherrios as a snack. The only "junk" we buy in this house is Oreo type cookies. They get 2 each only if they eat the healthy foods for dinner and that includes drinking all of their milk. :) My girls won't even touch white bread... LOL

5 2

I give my almost 3 year old Shakeology! She calls it "Chocolate milk from the blender" she thinks its a treat but it's nothing but healthy!

1
19 1

LOL.. I forgot we do strawberry smoothies. I use 1 scoop of Jillian Michaels Vanilla cream protein powder, 1 cup water, 1 cup frozen strawberries. It's great because she isn't much of a meat eater and the protein is great!

19 1

I have some seriously picky eaters.
I don't mind so much as at least my picky eaters love
real cheese, reduced fat wheat crackers, and various fruits and milk.

I do indulge the picky eaters, because they are so small I am afraid they won't eat at all or develop food issues if I force them to eat something they don't want.

Mary
http://www.SkinnyFiber.me

1
2 0

I finely grate zucchini, carrot and broccoli into bolognaise sauce put it on top of pasta with some cheese and they have no idea!!
Love some more suggestions though...

1
19 1

I am coming over for dinner.. :)

2 30

I am looking forward to reading answers myself. One of my tricks is to add some spinach into his fruit/yogurt smoothies!

1
9 4

We do that too! It's great for you and you can't even taste it : )