How do you keep a toddler sleeping all night long?

It is not uncommon for toddlers to wake in the middle of the night, maybe from fears, restlessness, or just the desire to be with their mom. What are some tips for getting your toddler to sleep soundly through the night?

0 13

Keeping them well fed right up until bedtime. Tea time and story time with all of their best stuffed animal friends in their room before bed. Tell the child that the sooner they go to sleep, the sooner they will see their friends in the morning. Say: "Sleeping is like magic. When you close your eyes and allow yourself to fall to sleep, it will feel like just few seconds later, (clap your hands gently) and it will be morning again and you will see your friends. In fact, they will never leave you, mommy and daddy will never leave you, we will all be right here with you until morning."

5
19 0

after they finished breastfeeding my three kids were put in their own beds. if they got up they were put back in their beds. sleeping with us was never an option really. they go to bed when they aretold and don't fuss. i was blessed to have good sleeping kids.

3
0 14

My son is 2 and a half, and recently started doing this (when previously, since about 3 months of age, he has always slept through the night) - so, we cut out his daytime nap and depsite the cold weather, I make a habit of taking him out for at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day so that he gets plenty of fresh air. We do swimming at our local rec centre and he also attends play groups to burn off energy. Since doing all of this, I have found that he wakes far less in the night, if at all. If he does, we do not let him in our bed. I simply go into his room, cover him up, and I gently stroke his head. He has always loved that, so he quickly goes back to sleep. Someone had told me that around this age, is when they start to develop a fear of monsters or scary things in their room. My son loves Spiderman, so we got him a Spiderman night light. He loves it and hasn't referred to being scared in his room since!

2
12 14

My son, by age 2, was always waking up ALL night long for one thing or another. We fought it by trying different bed time routines, keeping water near him, having night lights, having no lights, just letting him sleep with us, etc etc etc. And then he would take long naps during the day to make up for it. It was exhausting. HOWEVER, we discovered after he turned 3 that he had severe sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils. Within a couple months he had surgery. And now sleeps all night long and no longer takes naps. So if you are having consistent problems with sleeping through the night, and especially if your child snores or shifts a lot in his bed, go see an ENT doctor or at least have your pediatrician check him out. Sleep apnea can be very detrimental to a child's development and yet so few people realize it is happening.

1
0 16

My 2 1/2 year old has had a habit of waking up about once a night. She generally goes back to sleep soon after waking up if she gets a dry pull up and or a sippy cup with warm milk. However, I've noticed that if I am consistant about getting her to nap for 1-2 hours during the day starting at about 1:00 pm., she will usually sleep through the night without a problem. To get her down for a nap I put her in my room on my bed and let her watch a show like Curious George or Cat in the Hat with the TV turned down low and her blanket.

1
13 39

I never had a routine with my 2 and a half year old as a baby because he was colicky and NEVER wanted to sleep! Then after I had my 2nd baby who is now 5 months old, we eat dinner, play, take a bath, and go to bed and read books. My 2 and a half year old has had night terrors for a while and refuses to sleep in his own bed. I have tried everything and nothing works. But I have him on melatonin now and I give him pills called No More Monsters which I get from our local Health Food Store and he hardly ever wakes up anymore!

1
2 1

My two and half year old goes through phases when she sleeps soundly and then she will wake up early or periodically throughout the night. We do not encourage her to sleep with us, but if she does wonder in the bedroom we do calm her down before she goes back to her bed. I'm not sure if it is noise or just not understanding the difference between dreams and reality. Patience and soft words we are trying now.

It is just hard for me currently because I am finishing up my first trimester of my second pregnancy and not sleeping well anyway.

1
0 0

My Daughter of (almost) 3 is keeping me up all night... she just started crèche 2 months ago after being home since birth. she loves school. She still drinks juice at night; cant seem to get rid of that bottle!!! she has a solid 4-6 hr sleep from then on she has me up on the 10mins / half hr / hr all depends on her. im going insane; im emotionally and physically drained!!! any advice tia

0
0 13

It could be the sugar in the juice that is keeping her up. Maybe switch the juice to milk. I add a little organic apple juice to milk to sweeten it up. We drink only goat milk in our house simply for the reason that it is so much sweeter and better for you because humans can digest goat milk better than cows milk. The right kind of milk is very important for bone growth for kids. They can actually go into a kind of frenzy if they don't get enough protein and calcium. Asians get it from dark leafy greens and fish, which is actually the very best diet.

0 0

well..these are all the solution for normal babies...what if someone has a special child....who doesn't understand well....neither see well......or express his feeling..what would be the solution then...my four year old son has developmental problems.if he wakes up in the middle of the night,hardly go to bed again.i don't want any pills in such small age......i wonder if there is any person who could help me...........

0
0 13

Sonia, what does he do when he wakes up? Does he try to play with his toys? Is he crying? Does he still drink from a bottle? If he does, give him another bottle and hold him in a blanket, sing or hum to him, rock him in a rocking chair, or just sort of rock slightly on the couch with him until he falls asleep in your arms. Maybe lay a soft blanket or sleeping bag down on the floor in the living room ( if it's quiet) or his room and ask him if he wants to curl up with you or lay down with you. Maybe, try laying down with him so that you can each look into each others eyes. This can work really well if your both lay on your sides or lay on your stomachs with your head turned to the side towards each other. This helps the child feel connected to you and secure enough to drift back into sleep.

0 9

My 4 1/2 year old still wakes up most every night and finds her way in our bed. Now that she can climb up on the bed without oneof us lifting her in, I don't even know she has climbed in with us until morning when I wake and there she is! She is going to be starting big school in September so I would love to have this habit broken by then but I am truly at a loss and would love advice! She is my third child so you would think that I would have an answer for myself but I don't!

0
0 20

i am facing the same with both my kids, my daughter who is the younger one, slept through the night in her own bed, but my son who is older wandersinto our room at night, we calm him down and put him back in his bed but ten minutes and he is back,now even my daughter has startd doing this...am at a complete loss here

4 41

This is an issue for me as well. My son eats very well all day and healthy but he will be 2 in may and this child will take 16oz+ at bed time sleep schedule is completely off everydays different, he goes days without the paci and days where he will scream for hours, he wakes 2-4 or more times for a bottle,paci or diaper change, we've tried everything limiting naps, thickening his milk, pcai , no paci, cup no bottle, earlier or later bed time, scheduled changes,bought light blocking shades,humidifiers, heat on heat off, he just always wakes and when he does hes usually up for good.. IDK what to do anymore? Im exhausted. when he sleeps its deep but unpredictable..

0
2 10

Robin, I went through this with my son around that age. Actually, he's still not sleeping through the night uninterrupted. He has night terrors, he's sleeping but he yells about things... Sometimes sad but mostly positive outbursts. Anyway, he out grew waking (half waking/fussing) for the most part at around 18 months. He was waking about 4 times a night. Now its once in a while, he's 3 now. I didn't take the pacifier until 2.5yo and the bottle was taken about 3 months later. When I took the bottle, the fussing started again, but he adjusted. So, my purpose of this comment is to say: hang in there!!

3 6

This can be challenging, we go through phases where they sleep well for awhile then wake a few nights in a row. For our 4 year old we play the radio all night, and sometimes have a fan going. Usually if he wakes, it is a sip of milk then back to bed. the 2 year old is not out of the crib yet, but similar, we play ocean sounds to help her go to sleep initially then if she wakes we get a drink and go back to bed. Sometimes it is not as easy, but overall they go right to sleep, sometimes there is a short cry with the 2 year old in the crib.

0
18 0

I am having a major problem with this. My daughter will be two in June. I never had a problem with her sleeping habits before. She was on a set schedule and would be ready for bed around 8pm. I put her in her crib and she was out, or she would talk to herself a little bit but eventually fall asleep with no problem waking up in the middle of the night. NOW...is a completely different story. Last month, we had a fire in our house and things were a little rocky (naturally) I tried so hard to stick with her schedule but, still nothing is working. I do know that there are so many issues at play like we are now in a new house, she no longer shares a room with her brother(she has her own), she is not in a crib anymore, now has a toddler bed. I know in my heart it is a LOT of change for her to deal with, but it has been over a month now and it seems like it isnt getting any easier. She has no problem at nap time, however, she sleeps in her own bed great in the afternoon, but at night, she wants nothing to do with it. I try and try to comfort her but it doesnt work, eventually I get tired and frustrated and just let her sleep with my husband and I. Even then, she still doesnt sleep through the night, she wakes up at least three times throughout the night.........Im completely at a loss, and it breaks my heart, because I know she has never had sleep problems before....She has a check up coming up this week and I really hope the doctor can give me some advice :(

0
15 2

The best advice I could give you is try the same thing consistently for a week and she will adjust. It's probably the transitional move of house! Same thing happened to my friend. I had the same problem with my daughter and I started telling her a story for about five minutes; did this for about five days and then she would stay in her bed and sleep all nigh. Good luck!

15 1

My 2 1/2 year old loves to sleep on our bed. I constantly put him back to his bed until he falls asleep. If I am not in the mood to fight where he sleeps we let him sleep in our bed then once he is asleep we put him back in his bed. He may wake up and climb back to our room but he is getting better at staying in his room all night. I guess it is different for everyone so u just have to be persistent and know that it can take some time!

0
0 55

Personally, I don't worry about my daughter sleeping in my bed. One day she will reach an age where she doesn't want to cuddle any more, so I'm soaking it up for as long as I can. With my first daughter, I rushed to put her in her own bed as soon as she came home from the hospital. I now wish I had let her sleep with me like my second daughter does. These are super precious years... enjoy them!

2 20

Sorry I don't have any answers I need help as well, My daughter is 2 1/2 and she still wakes in the middle of the night. She sleeps in her own bed, in her own room, but she will wake up in the middle of the night and talk into the monitor asking for milk or say her pajamas are wet and/or she needs covers. Once I do it she's fine, but my sleep in interrupted and I wake up exhausted. Any suggestions :)

0
12 22

She will continue to do it because she knows your coming. I suggest ignoring her as hard as it is. Is she wetting her bed when she says her pj's are wet? Of course I wouldn't ignore that :) Also I wouldn't be giving her drinks in the middle of the night unless she gets up to go to the bathroom by herself at night. I have a 3 year old and have learned along the way :)

1 0

when my baby wakes in the middle of the night..i hug him so tight and after a minute he will be back to sleep..

0
12 26

I have an almost 3 year old that still wakes up too. She sleeps in her own bed, but will 'fetch' me during the night to come sleep in her bed. I'm 8 months pregnant and certainly needs now all the rest I can get before little one comes.

So if anyone knows how to stop this, please let me know. When I wake up in the morning, I am so dead tired:(

0
12 22

Maybe she wasn't ready for a rel bed yet? If she isn't comfortable being in there alone and keeps getting up...Sounds like the only solution is to tell her no and put her back to bed alone. Easier said than done I know :)

3 6

My 4 year old stepson only wakes when he has to go potty. My 2 year old daughter hardly ever wakes during the night, if she does, shes just goes back to sleep on her own. My youngest however will be a year old in Febuary, he is still not sleeping threw the night.. Hes gotten better and sleeps longer, but getting him to stay asleep is a diff story. I can usually play his lulliby bunny, and rub his back or tummy and he rolls over and falls back asleep but as soon as my head hits the pillow, hes awake again. I repeat my steps, play his music, rub his tummy or back for a few min then back asleep, but i think he knows when i walk away cause as soon as i do, hes right back up. The only way I can get him to deep sleep, and i know its a bad habbit, is to put him in bed with my husband and I, then hes passed out, but hubby and I are up all night casue hes a kicker, hits, and rolls alot!! Hes on Milk during the day but still breast feeds during the night... Im at the end of my rope on how to get him to stay asleep in his crib, which is right next to my bed..!!?? If he wakes up and hes alone in the room he will go back to sleep, but if me or hubby are in there he will cry and scream until he gets out and into our bed.. Any one have advise on what to do for that?

0
26 16

You could try putting him in his own room. If he goes back to sleep after he wakes up if you aren't in the room then he might do really well with that. And if it turns out that he isn't ready you can easily put his crib back in your room. :-)

1,738 8

I pretty much agree with Laura H. We parent our dd back sleep if she needs it. Mostly, make sure she's not hungry or thirsty before going to bed, make sure she's comfortable, check the temperature of her room, etc.

0
0 9

my son is 2 1/2 years old...he slept threw the night with no hassle...now he is waking up a 3 and.sometimes 7. his schedule use to be 9-9 not anymore

31 9

Gosh, I guess we don't even bother. Our 2 and a half year old is in her toddler bed next to our Queen bed. And our 9 month old son is in the cosleeper on the other side of the bed. when either wake we just encourage them to go back to sleep. Daddy takes care of daughter and I the son. Our daughter is happy there if she wakes it only takes a few gentle words and she off to sleep again. or a quick trip to the potty and she is good.

0
0 55

My daughter that is 21 months will only wake up if I put her to bed too early. If I put her down around 8 pm, she will certainly wake back up and be up most of the night. However, if I wait until she is definitely tired (which is sometime between 10 and 12), she will sleep all night without any problems. Some kids just don't need as much sleep. I would stop her daytime naps, but her daycare is required to offer a nap. And given the opportunity, she will easily nap for 2-3 hours. Thus the extremely late bedtime.

-1
0 14

I'm really sorry but I wouldn't count it as sleeping all night without any problems if she is up until 10pm - midnight. THAT to me would be enough to count as a problem. However you need to do what is right for you & your daughter - hopefully she will grow out of that some time soon for you.