How Do You Make Time For Exercise?

Once you become a mom, life can quickly become too busy and hectic to keep up all your old habits, and exercise is often one of the first things to go. What works for you to make sure that exercise still makes it into your schedule regularly?

1 18

Lol. I'm the nana of a beautiful baby girl and from day 1 she loved for me to rock her to sleep.
Well I would sit on the side of the bed and rock her using only my stomach muscles and believe
Me after 24 years and having 4 kids, I had some baby fat that had never gone away.
Well after rocking my g-daughter for a few months it was all gone plus a lot more and I had toned up so many muscles that I never even new I had to start with.
My daughter is about to have her second baby and I intend to keep up the tradition with this lil guy, yes this one is a boy. Yay!!!

7
1 18

Correction to my statement above: I am now 50 years old not 24 years old my daughter was 24 when she had my granddaughter lol

1 3

I set my alarm before my two girls wake up. That way I can get in my workout before they wake up. I may be tired, but it helps me be mentally prepared for the day!

7
12 24

I try to dance with my toddler everyday. She us so use to dancing with me that she demands it now. I get worn out way before she does!

6
12 3

I exercise with a friend on the days my husband has off of work. That way I get to use the car and leave the baby with Dad and get some much needed me time. Also having a friend with me helps motivate me and makes me accountable for my commitment to exercise.

5
0 0

I'm lucky to have a gym downstairs and every time my baby takes his nap , I do my weight training/workout (6X a week) Its an important sacrifice. I work for our company, manage the finances,HOA, do all the home cleaning, cooking, repairs etc and am on baby and big brother duty 24/7 so nap time is the only time it works. I think the first step is to make it a priority in your mind and you will find an appropriate time/schedule.

4
145 11

I set the alarm for 4:00 am. Sometimes it works, other time not so much but getting the exercise in during the morning ensures nothing derails my efforts. Sometimes I get out of bed closer to 5:00 and if my three-year-old daughter wakes up, she knows where I am. She can be a terrific cheerleader and sometimes even a coach to get moving quicker! Lots of time, she joins in! We also have a YogaKids DVD that we do together; Angelina Ballerina episodes from the library that we get up and dance along with; and just recently I found Pop It!, a kids Hip Hop DVD that we follow -- her much better than me! While getting in the "formal" workout is becoming more of a priority for me again, I don't discount all the fun ways I am moving with my daughter ... every little bit makes a difference!

4
22 11

Exercise can be as simple as walking your child to daycare or school or to your local shops. 30 minutes is all you need to do. I walk with 3 kids, the youngest in baby bjorn, 15 month old in the pram and the 3.5 yr old will either walk or go on the double pram. Also if you can get to any mum's and bub's classes I did yoga once a week this way.

3
0 1

I put on my workout clothes when I wake up and keep them on all day. This way when I see an opportunity to get out the door and go to the gym I'm ready to go. It also helps that the gym I attend has a nursery included in the price (I pay $20 a month for the membership). My son loves the nursery. Sometimes I workout for over an hour and when I'm done he doesn't want to leave. We've been doing that since he was 5 months old and it helps me keep my sanity to have one hour for myself everyday.

2
0 0

I take time out three days per week to run on our treadmill after I put my boys to bed at night. I run for thirty minutes (about three miles) while I watch my favorite television show. Making time for exercise helps me feel better about my body. Even though I may be tired, the shower afterwards followed by a chapter of a good book usually gets me nice and sleepy.
Also, I walk my son to and from school (about a mile total for me) on days that are nice out so that we both get exercise together. It's a nice way to have alone time with my son and talk about our days while at the same time getting moving! When it's still light outside after dinner, we also like to go for walks or bike rides. That's mostly in the summer/fall though.

2
0 0

There are a thousand different ways to exercise. You can use a picnic bench to do leg lifts, tricep dips, pushups, sit ups, etc. While your kids are in the sandbox, you can do jumping jacks with the other moms. You can do calf raises while standing in line. Pushing a stroller fast is great exercise so walk as much as possible with your kids. Also, have a Pilates DVD and elastic band for days when you can't get out. Walk with friends to lunch instead of driving. Instead of coffee or lunch with friends, I always suggest a walk as it provides just as much conversation and they always feel better afterwards. Plus it's free so no one has to pay, even for a health center visit.

2
0 3

I Get my gym gear on with a black bag underneath to make me sweat more and go power walking with my 1 year old in her pram, which makes it even more off a workout, i walk for an hour or so and come home to a shower and i am motivated to get on with housework and the rest!

2
1 1

Good and wonderfull idea!

18 22

I found that dancing to my son's favorite videos really helped me stay in shape..it also helped with the baby blues and it kept me in great shape....I didn't realize what a world of good it did for me until I stopped...this dancing was done almost 3 days a week half an hour per day. Exercise doesn't have to routine or hum drum...just keep your body moving and please try to watch what you eat.

2
4 0

I love The Firm Express and Brazil Butt Lift. Those w/o's are less than 30 minutes and very effective. I try to do 1st thing in morning. I have been enjoying Cross Fit.

2
145 11

I just started FIRM express workouts today! Next, clean up my diet a bit.

32 0

ive had my children on an 8:00 bedtimes schedule since they were babies. they go to bed, every night, at 8PM without fail. I work out after they go to bed.

1
0 13

Thankyou I did not think about that but it was helpful,

79 18

I go to Curves, it only takes 30 minutes, I only have to go 3 times a week, and they are open on Sat. morning so my hubby can watch the baby. They also stay open till 7 in the evening so I can go after work/dinner.

1
38 11

I make time by going at 6:30am or at 8pm before and after my mom duties :) sometimes I'm lucky if my husband goes to work late i go after I drop my older son off at school while my husband watches the little ones, but you have to WANT to go especially if you have to go at 6:30am!! :)

1
0 13

With working full time that leaves little time to workout. However there is a gym at my office so I workout during lunch breaks two days a week and then one weekend day at home with a workout video. At the begging of the week I look at my schedule and block off the two days that week that I want to work out at lunch so that no meetings get scheduled.

1
0 0

The jogging stroller is my friend. We have themes for different days. On the weekends, my two girls take naps. I can usually go longer then and they get the sleep they need. We also get creative with the routes so, I will run a couple of miles to a park where they have play time, and then if the timing is right, they nap on the ride home, and I get a few minutes to myself upon our return. We also live near some rural property where folks raise goats, so we take a field trip to feed the goats. During Christmas, we would go look at Christmas lights after work and have a sleigh ride. It just depends.

1
505 54

Jogging stroller was my friends too! Loved that thing, until they got too big. Now they bike the trail I use to push them in the jogger on...time flys! Enjoy!!

0 0

I'm a homeschooling mom of 8 with a writing and speaking schedule on the side. It's crazy, but without regular exercise I know I wouldn't cope as well. Mothering (especially little ones) can be a physically demanding job and if you want to have the energy to do what's on your plate, you need to find time to move. Start by pushing a stroller down the street!

1
123 3

Don't talk about exercise, I only manage to start running again when my girl is 3 year old!
And don't talk about exercise! lol I didn't even have time to brush my teeth, a cartoon to bring you some cheer
http://eczemablues.com/2011/11/14-of-the-101-things-that-moms-with-eczema-child-do-differently-dental-hygiene/
Mei of EczemaBlues

0
2 0

I totally understand what your saying it is a huge adjustment to motherhood but such a great one when you get the hang of it. I wasn't able to resume my exercise routine till 3 months after my son was born. He's now 4 and a half months and now that he's more settled and has more of a regular sleeping pattern during the day I will take him for a walk in the pram when he's just fallen asleep so I can walk around the block for 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week and then when i come back I will do some situps and the house work. That's how I manage my schedule most of the time.

0
2 0

I have many different ways to excercise or attempt to with my 5 month old. Sometimes I throw in that 30 day shred 20 minute video right when he wakes up (8amish) and let him sit in his bouncer or jungle gym, I try to keep talking to him so he stays calm, he likes to just talk to himself sometimes though, or his toys. Otherwise, I always try to do a video or go for a jog with the stroller with a friend after he has napped and been fed, works most days, and i can get about 20 minutes at a time, so sometimes when i've felt i've eaten alot, I repeat a few times. Sometimes i'll put him in the baby carrier and just do simple non cardio workouts when he gets fussy, or put him on my stomach or whatnot while i do crunches( and his airplanes), definately feel that in my arms. Also if I don't have time i'll do skaters, or real weird dancing, or running and saying peekaboo, or whiiisshhh, he starts cracking up, so we get a little bonding and workout at the same time. I also have a stepdaughter, so when she visits, we take walks, or short little 'races' for goofiness, of kinect games on the xbox 360, you name it, I try to bring out the kid in me, while helping her be a kid too. PS, splashing in puddles in slipperry sandals is alot of work!=)

0
5 2

Buy home equipment such as a pilates machine works great and do early before child wakes up. When old enough join a gym that has child care and make that "you" time.

0
737 0

I either go to the gym with a friend or I just leave for my destination earlier and ride my bicycle or walk. I howerver, have kids that are old enough to leave alone, if I leave for several hours, my 17 y/o stays with my 9 y/o

0
113 2

I try to get in my exercise before the kids are up or while they are in school, but sometimes that doesn't work and then I go to my "mommy workout" plan - exercising while I'm waiting for them at their activities - running on the track while they are at swim practice, hitting tennis balls during their basketball practice, running around the neighborhood during play rehearsal.

I wrote up a few of my tips, with some help from a personal trainer on my blog - Just Piddlin' -
http://slackermomof4.blogspot.com/2012/07/workout-on-playground.html

0
0 13

How can I fit time in to exercise I watch my grandaughter, and my nephew,need some feedback on how to make time my grandaughter is 13 months and nephew 4yrs oid suggestion please.

0
505 54

By making exercise a priority is how I make the time. Knowing that I am" leading by example "for my children also helps me make it a priority. Reminding myself how much better I feel, and how much easier I am to live with when I exercise is yet another way.
People can tell you "WHAT to do" but it has to start from "WITHIN" Once you make it a priority in your MIND, the body will follow...
It should be the first thing you do in the morning, I recommend 4 days a week. Everyday is to much stress on yourself. If you don't "have time" Drop 10 push ups randomly anywhere through out the day 5X and you've done 50! Same with Crunches, drop 20 5X a day and you've done 100. 120 squats can take under 2 minutes...30 jumping jacks, walking the stairs. IT all adds up. I bought an aerobic step and put it in front of my TV, I just go up and down while watching my shows. No excuses, make it happen and have fun!

0
0 21

Sometimes I get the kids involved. My kids are grown now so it is the grandchildren, but they love to get down on the floor with you and so what you do or show you a thing or two!

0
1 5

I have found that bringing the kids is an easy way to get exercise. I wasn't always great about this, but realized after going to a gym for a while with a friend that a little bit goes a long way! For me (and most moms I know ) the easiest and most effective workouts are those we can do regularly. Walking, dancing and finding ways to use/bring the littlest ones helps. Instead of doing a push-up you might lift baby over your head. Also, there are now dvd's that tell you ways to include the kids. Yoga is a great one to do with children because it teaches more than just exercise. There is also the mind/body connection. Days when I had my son home we would do yoga kids or he would try to follow along with me. Lots of fun and so beneficial!

0
0 49

I do mat exercise 30 mins. 4-5 times a week or depend on my schedule. I also do walking and cleaning the house regularly. Watching my diet. I always put on my mind in every thing I do is for my family, myself and to God.

0
19 17

I exercise at night , well stretch at night before i lay down and i feel much better when im done.

0
0 44

Baby Bar and I have been doing a ton of mommy and me yoga. It helps our minds, bodies, and spirits. It's help combat everything from baby blues to colic. Yoga opens our bodies and hearts and we're so grateful for it!
On days that we can't find a mommy and me we do our best to walk. Often she's in the carrier to give me a boost and her a chance for a nice long nap and occasionally we bring the stroller (which always winds up full of groceries or the day's errands while she hangs in her wrap).

0
8 0

i take my daughter to the gym with me they have great childcare... it gives me time to myself and to keep fit plus knowing my daughter is not to far away from me but is also having fun with other children.

0
2 0

I love working out, and honestly couldn't keep up with my kids if I didn't stay in shape. Because it is sometimes difficult to find a sitter to watch them if I want to take a class in the afternoons, I have started taking 5:30 a.m. classes. It sucks to get up that early to work out, but it feels GREAT to have my workout in by 6:30 in the morning!

0
5 15

After I drop off my 5 year old at school, the wins and I go to the gym. They have daycare and they love it. I exercise and get some me time while they play and have fun. I LOVE IT!

0
3 0

I work it in whenever I can. Often this means I don't start until after all the kids are in bed. I wish mornings were more workable, but with 4 kids running around, weekday mornings are often too hectic!

0