How do you make your child do their homework without it being a hassle?

You want your child to do well in school, but you also don't want to make a big deal about forcing them to do their homework. How do you get your child to obediently do their homework without a fuss?

19 12

My boys are still young, and don't get much homework. I (now) have a 3rd grader and two 1st graders. The rule in my home has always been (and I mean when I was in school) that you do your homework when you come home. You walk in the door, take off your shoes, get a snack/drink and get right to the homework. You're already at the table w/ your snack, so you may as well just get it all done. We have done this w/ every assignment that our 3 boys have brought home, and will continue to expect this as they get older. Fridays are the same way, you get it done and over w/ on Friday night and have the next 2 days to relax and play. There is no "oops, I didn't get that done" on Sunday. For the most part, we don't have any hassle about it b/c it's just the way it has always been. I love our system. In this chaotic home filled w/ boys, it's nice to have some control and organization when it comes to school work! :)

16
1 0

That's the same way at my house. My boys (also in 3rd & 1st grades) know they have to do their homework as soon as they come in the house.

5 3

I have one main word for you, ROUTINE. If it is a routine and they come home have avo tea, tell you about there day and then its homework time, it then isnt an issue it is a habit/routine... I have put 3 through school and have a 9 yr old and only my son had an issue with homework, but he did it or didnt get to play with friends or get any treats on the weekends, wasnt long before he jumped into line. ROUTINE...

6
0 8

best answer! your words made me understand clearly what is the issue! I appreciate your time and clearness to give advice. best words! brief and to the point.

19 11

I guess not many answers but mostly same answers. My rule has been with my children (not so much for me growing up), snack then homework then play. I have a now 2 and 7 grader. Last year as my daughter went into middle school her work got harder. She spent 5 hours one night doing homework and that was with me helping her constantly. I had her take a few 15 minute breaks here and there but still it was a lot. I wrote a letter to all of her teachers explaining how much time was spent that night on each subject and that I had her stop due to the time. I never again made her sit there that long. The teachers started getting together to make sure not to overload the students like that again. There was a few times however and I then put a 2 hour maximum of homework per night. The school understood this as I am very involved with my childrens schooling. The school agreed that 2 hours was enough. However anything not completed during the week became weekend homework as their test day was on Monday's. So she divided the weekend up and always finished everything on Saturday so she did not feel so stressed to finish things on Sunday. Her grades improved greatly after doing it this way as she was not cramming to get it done all in one night. I just hope that it will not get that bad again until high school. She will hopefully be adjusted better by then to handle more. In elementary I never let them spend more than 1 hour a night on homework. Reading was the only subject allowed to exceed their time limit as my kids GREATLY enjoy reading. I always had them do that last as it helped them to relax after all of the stressful homework was completed. Hope this helps.

6
0 9

I almost always have him do it before he starts playing, but there have been a few days in between when I can tell he just needs a half hour to himself. On those days I let him have that time, but i make sure it is OCCASIONALLY so it does'nt become a habit. I also took a soda bottle and let him paint it as he wanted to...at the end of the week if he did all of his homework without giving me a hard time he gets $2 (he's just going into 1st grade so $2 is a fortune to him). At the end of the marking period he has a choice to either buy a toy then or continue to save and have more money for the next marking period. I always tell him why adults have to work and that school is important so that he can have a job that will allow him to afford to do things with his family when he's older...I tell him that school is his full time job until he is an adult- so as long as he does his job like he should that $2 is considered his paycheck- me and him get our "checks" on the same day-as he gets older I will add a dollar each year, and eventually open up a bank account with him so he can learn about saving money and working hard. For the summer his school has the summer reading list-each night we read a book or part of a bigger book and he has to read with my help as his homework...he's got $10 so far:)

5
63 3

Start early. Give them the opportunity to decompress from school with a little snack and/or personal time, approximately 1 hour. Then ask them if they have any homework to do. Be available to help. If they ask to watch tv, play video games, go anywhere, expect homework to be done. Children will rise to the occasion if they know what is expected. Stay strong, stay consistent and keep them accountable.
Also remember, Be The Parent! It is not always (ever) easy but it is worth it for your children's sake. I am the mother of 8 children. Oldest is a youth minister, #2 owns his own business, #3 is a manager, 4 & 5 are in college, 8 became a school employee as a manager at 19 and the last two are still in school. Successful people are made because of successful parents who take the time to parent.

3
3 21

When my daughter gets in from school the first thing is change out of uniform and then sit down and do homework with no messing about. When it's finished play dinner then bed sorted.

3
32 3

Routine! When kids know what the expectation is, they learn to follow it. For my household ( grades 6, 4 and 1) we have always had free time after school to go outside and play . After supper while I clean up the kitchen/ read the paper, the kids know to return to the table with their books and do homework. after that is baths, Pj's and a bit of TV before bed. If they don't have homework from school they bring a book or when younger a colouring book back to the table. I'm a foster parent and all 11 kids I've had as foster kids ckick into the routine within a few days. It can take as little as 10 minutes to as long as it takes to get it done. Its as routine as brushing their teeth, getting dressed etc...

2
4 8

Find a time after school when they have ad time to unwind from school and have had their snack. Then set a timer for 15min. They must work for the whole time. Then take a 5 min break where they can get up and move around. Then sit down for another 15 min.Do this until the work is done. You can gradualy add time to each session as your child get older. Eventualy you won't nee the timer.

2
6 7

I always give my children some play time when they get home to help them unwind from a long day at school. They like to play outdoors and do sports. We usually do homework after supper when we have a little more energy and focus. The hard part is getting it all done before bedtime. Sometimes my 3rd grade son and I are still doing some reading, Bible memory verse and spelling review at the bedside.

My kindergarten student had a lot of "homework" -- sight word practice, math around the house, those kinds of things. That felt a little more overwhelming and I ended up throwing most of it away. Just seemed like too much. I'm a teacher myself and I think kindergarten is all about experiencing the world and learning what's interesting. Do we really have to stress so much math and reading already then?

I like my children to learn from experiences. So, summertime is definitely learning time at home. No homework, but learning life skills like planning meals, shopping wisely and spending only what is necessary, learning how to do banking, and other things like that. I want my children to grow up to be independent. Knowing how to do laundry, clean the house, and all that is an important part of being a well-rounded person.

2
2 26

children do school work all day and come home really tied. depending on their moods I let them have about half an hour place or watch tv to unwind then I get them to do homework. But sometimes miss 7 goes and starts her homework straight away before play without being asked. master 5 on the other hand has to be in the mood. Its not easy to get ur 5 year olds to sit still and do homework when they just want to play.

2
3 5

I would offer rewards at the end of the week to get my son to do his homework.

2
24 8

In our house, homework is to be done as soon as they get home. This way if they need or want help I am available to help while I make dinner. It has been explained that if they choose not to do their homework they will have to deal with the consequences of a bad grade. It does not reflect on me or affect my life if the choose to do bad. Sometimes letting them fail helps them succeed

1
2 7

My son is in the 4th grade, and he always 30 math problems to complete most every night. I usually allow him to play with the dogs outside for 15-30 minutes or so. Then he comes in the house and works on homework while I'm preparing dinner. In order to get his homework done in a reasonable amount of time, the tv is left off until homework is done. If he has any kind of extracurricular activity, such as baseball or basketball practice, the homework has to be done or 98% done before he can participate. This is motivation for him to get it done. He procrastinates badly, and needs motivation to get it done.

1
7 6

I see a lot of answers from elementary school parents and quite frankly when the kids get to middle and high school it is a hassle. If they haven't brought home the required homework, there's nothing you can do about it. It doesn't matter how much of a routine it was made when they were younger, you have lost the ability to manipulate them into doing their work. Hormones and teenage know it all syndrome make life difficult as it is and home work become nonexistent. The best you can do is get a daily sheet for them to take to class and have the teachers sign. It records not only homework but behavior as well as participation in class. My older 2 boys have both had to carry these around and they were embarrassed enough to get it together so they didn't have to do it anymore

1
0 0

What a great idea!! My 15 year old's progress notes/ report cards always have atleast one class that says missing assignments.....

2 22

In order for your child do to well in school, YOU must work with them DAILY. Everyday set up a time (I do RIGHT after school) , where my child and I sit down and I do everything he has with him to assure it's done correct. IMO if you're like "hey go do your homework" they will give tudes, rush through it and end up frustrated with a bad grade. My son works his best when I am right there with him and it's not always fun for me BUT as a parent, some things must be done. *Brag Moment- My son was just nominated as a 2012 Great Lakes Scholar!! I assure if you follow these steps, you will see a HUGE difference , in not only attitudes but in their grades as well =)

Best of luck mommas
** The son I speak of goes to a Charter School (the younger ones are homeschooled)
If you would like to email me with any questions, I'd be happy to answer chirssee21@yahoo.com

1
18 10

I don't fight them over it. That's one battle I just don't want to have. They have time set aside each day where they are supposed to either read or do homework. If they don't get their work done at home, they face the consequences at school - losing play time.

I spoke to both their teachers and explained exactly what was happening and what I was doing.

1
9 20

My brothers & I walked in the door, took off our uniforms & hit the books. Non-negotiable & you didn't argue with my mother unless you had a death wish. However, my mom's twin sister taught all three levels over a course of close to 50 years & she convinced me about five years ago, that my kids needed a little time to blow off steam after school before doing homework. However no video games or TV. They never had an abundance of time since they gave been playing hockey since they were 4 & 6 respectively, but as they've gotten older (12 & 14), we've found flexibility to be the watch word. What they don't finish before dinner & practice, they can finish at the rink while their brother is practicing. This has really helped them with their concentration & focus (ice rinks aren't known for their study atmosphere!;-) Weekends depend on their game schedule. Usually they aren't allowed to do ANYTHING on Sunday morning (besides breakfast) until their homework is done! You'd be surprised how many hockey parents haul the homework along as we trek through a Wisconsin winter, traveling from rink to rink.

1
1 10

Oh boy do I have much to get used to with my kiddo starting Kinder this year. She is very strong willed and getting her to do anything she does not want to is the challenge I face daily. It' very hard raising children alone for certain. I must buckledown though to ensure she has a bright future.

1
1

there is no way of making your child to do their homework unless you whip them of course but that will just make the child scared of you and turn your relationship into a fear fest
the only way i do my HW is if my mom is there to help me but with all the ''advance'' math she cant
and to top it off i'm learning things that my 9th grade brother and graduating sister are learning in 7th grade so befor you tell your child their work is easy
sit down
look at their paper
and see just see if you can do 1 problem
if so good for you and help them
if not you see what i mean

0
5 6

just like most of the other comments, I have to stress routine. My boys have a desk that they do their homework on with all their supplies readily available. They come home and eat a snack while they do their homework so that if its a sports practice day, the routine will stay the same. We tried the playing first routine but found that it became inconsistent when other activities were present. I let them begin their homework on their own and they set aside any that they have questions with. After about 15 minutes or so, I will check and help. We also keep up this routine in the summer so that there is no summer "rust" or difficulty getting back in routine.

0
12 6

Ok, I think that if the child is interested in their grades it is easier. Both of my kids, at an early age, played sports. So, as soon as they came home from school they had to do their homework. they grabbed a snack and sat down at the kitchen/dinning room. Once their homework was done they could watch TV or do whatever till we had to leave. I feel that the pressure of not having to do anything when they got home made it easier on them. I believe that it got them into a good habit.. Now they are both in highschool and their lives are even busier, but they have been able to keep up with their studies.

0
3 22

Ok, I have a 3rd grader who refuses to do homework for me! I have tried everything I could think of. I have no trouble listening to the advice of others. His disrespect that he shows is so bad that we are both in therapy. I have done EVERYTHING the therapist suggested except taking everything out of his room but his bed and locking him in his room for 10 min at a time every time he disobeys me . There has to be an answer, I just haven't found it. ANY suggestions will be listened to.

chadwellb3

0
0 0

Talk with the teacher. That's what we had to do with my son. Lunch detention is my friend now.

11 45

My 7 year old son was fighting me about homework every night. I would threaten to spank, take favorite things....ect... Finally it dawned on me to ask his teacher for help. My husband sat down with him, he was fighting dad too, asked him if he fights Miss Craig like this. He said no. So we wrote her a note asking for lunch detention when he fought me. He has gotten it twice and HATES it. He now does his homework when he is asked to do it.

0
14 7

Most younger kids need a snack and 15 minutes to unwind but more than that you will lose their attention span they need to stay in that school mode.The sooner you get it done the better by 5 or 6 they are to tired to focus anymore. No tv or video time either til it is done.That is how my son did his he was allowed video games when he was done up until 5pm dinner so he would do it quickly to have more time to play. Reward them with their favorite thing.

0
69 42

We, as the adult, are responsible for setting the pattern. If you have established a pattern of sensible control from day one, setting new patterns will be easy. When my granddaugter started school, I established that since they allowed them to eat lunch at around 10: 50, she was starving when she got home from school. The pattern of healthy protein snack was begun. After snack, start homework. At first, I sat with her to do her homework, to be sure she understood all the instructions. Now she is in third grade and does it all herself. After homework, she brings it to me (or her daddy) to look it over to see what kind of mistakes she has made, if any. The type of mistake usually tells me whether she misunderstood the assignment, or wasjust in a hurry and got careless. I have always taken the time to go over the assignment with her and will tell her there is a mistake and where it is but not how to correct it. I let her sit back down and figure out what was wrong and how to correct it herself. If she's really confused, I just reteach the concept, whatever it is, in several different ways until I find one that clicks with her learning mode. We have never had a fuss. Ever. And when homework is finished, we watch a couple of favorite programs together sometimes. I am rather fond of Pokemon, Scoobydoo, and Avatar, the Last Airbender. We get time together and accomplish important stuff.

0
2 23

My son gets bored easy with homework and find it boring. However, he has no choice but show his teacher that he understood the work. I make his homework fun and competitive. First, if it's early enough to have some chips or fruit snack or even gummy bears, I will ask him to choice which snack he likes then we play games out of his home work. I will put a count down digital clock in front of him and tell him to do his number 1 question and if he bits the clock with accurate answer then he gets piece of the gummy. Second, I use his time on sat to make it a bargaining tool. I will say, I will give him extra 5 min time on his video game per accurate answer .

0
16 17

my child is in grade 3, and at her school at the beginning of each term the students are given a 10 week homework book which is to be done and completed after each week. After 5 weeks it is to be brought back to school for the teacher to sight the work they have completed. My daughter enjoys school and knows its her responsibility to get that done by the time it has to be done and sighted, or she faces the consequences at school. Most days after school there is always something going on whether it be martial arts training or swimming or even at present the reading challenge which is optional for any student that wishes to enter into. I give her the choice when she wishes to do it and by Sunday I check with her if she has completed the tasks she is meant to have done, if she hasn't she is glad I reminded her and gets straight to it! She is also aware that homework and school work can get her anywhere she wants to be later on in life, especially if she studies & works hard enough at it ,she will succeed at anything. I'm always available for her if she needs any help, and guide her the right way to solve any problem that she may come across and that gives her the confidence, she is on the right track and is more likely to attempt problem solving if she takes the time to think about it. We never make homework unenjoyable more like fun and this in turn works for me because I don't have to nag her to get it done!!

0
1 0

We have our share of fussing kids because they have to do homework (usually when someone has had a bad day at school). But I just make it clear to them (2 boys) that as soon as we come home from school, they need to do their homework. Then they can go play or read or whatever is fun to them. So far, we've not had too much trouble... but then my boys seem eager to do well in school.

0
5 9

I'm afraid I'm a bad mum.... I don't insist on them doing homework at all. Only that they read their Bibles for at least 20mins before they go to sleep. I figure they're only kids once and there is more to life than school work. The evening is MY TIME with my kids and no homework is gonna steal my time! If they're home-schooled they normally get done by lunchtime... so why should a school kid have to work all day at school and then do MORE at home! I think homework is absolutely NOT necessary

0
4 14

I give my children sugar-free gum. It motivates them and helps them concentrate better.

0
212 40

At this stage, I don't force her to do it. I have noticed that if she is tired, she has a harder time with it, so if she is struggling after school to do it, I let her get up early to to it the next day. She also knows that if she doesn't do it, she has to use recess time to do it

0