How do you potty train around a busy schedule?

When both parents work, and your toddler possibly has multiple care givers, how do you manage your child's potty training?

5 4

If you have to ask this question, you are going about this the wrong way. Who exactly are you "training"? - the child to go to the bathroom when they feel the urge or the adults to adhere to a "does the kid need to go potty now" schedule? A child will not "potty train" until THEY are ready, and there is no magic to it, it just happens. Of course you offer the option of the potty often, talk about the process, and what bodily cues to look for, but if you push it on them before they are truly ready you are only training the adults - not the child. My son at 3 1/2 threw away his own diapers and never looked back. He had 2 daytime accidents the first week and that was it. He has pull ups to wear to bed if he wants to and has the occasional overnight accident when he doesn't - but this is not uncommon or unexpected. Save yourself the headache and just keep buying diapers until both of you know that the time is right.

7
27 16

I think this is the most sane, common-sense thing I have read about potty-training in a long time, so thank you. My daughter is 2-1/2 and always wants to "go potty" where she just sits for a minute and then wipes and flushes. Part of me wants to rush this along and the mom that knows how headstrong she is just keeps saying, "Give it some time. One of these days she bound to accidentally pee or poop while she's doing this and the light bulb will turn on for her." Thank you for the encouragement/reminder that we are NOT going to have a control struggle over potty training!

505 54

I had boys and trained them the "lazy way" through the summer. Naked from waist down most the day, potty chair out for them to play with, pretend with, sit with me and read with until eventually pee with!

1
1 11

im about to potty train my own child. I've been a nanny for 10 years now and have basically potty trained 4 other kids............all differently. In july, we will start with potty training. each kid is different. The 1 thing I can say is NEVER, and i mean NEVER ask "do you have to go?" they will always say no. It's not an asking thing, it's "It's time to sit on the potty". 3 days of this (and I mean 3 days of non stop saying it's time (every 15-20 min) and they'll start to get it.

1
7 20

lol i agree with NEVER asking if they have to go....i learned that rather quick with my son....of course the answer is always "no i dont have to" even now that he's fully "trained" on the potty he'll still say no, but generally can tell when they have to go and you tell them its time to use the potty....and if he hasn't gone in an oddly amount of time sometimes i have to put him on the potty myself....stubborn lil boys ha

6 20

My son was three when I got him to go. Every kid is different and will do it on there own time. I left my son with out a diaper on and let him know that he needed to use the potty. I had to take a week off and have him go in on the potty every 15 min, then 30 min and then every 45 min. When I put him to bed I take drinks away 1 hr a head of time and leave him in just a shirt. No bottoms. Seemed to help him know he couldn't pee in the bed. Just remember ever child is different and will go when they are ready to go .

1
2 0

You will have to work with the child and find the time that is acceptable. They will not get the job done if they do not need to. Just as you or I will not. The diet is also important, what they eat and drink will determine as to how often and how long it takes each time. If they cant after sitting a few minutes, let them get up and watch them and do not let them use their pants. If you have to run with them to the commode, do so. Their feet and legs so to sleep after a few minutes, make sure they have s stool to put their feet on. if they are not in a comfortable sitting position they can not get results every time, you may have to go several times.

0
0 25

Let him sleep with a nappy and take him with the nappy still on to the care giver and let them only take the nappy of when he had num2 and let him go to the toilet every half n hour there after

0
6 0

what the hell is a nappy?

7 20

i realized i've ranted...instead of getting rid of my mini book of an answer...MAKE SURE your child is ready to "potty train" Before i started this process with my son, when i originally introduced him to using the potty i was sure he was ready, after a week of the first trail i realized he wasn't so i stopped and introduced him again a couple weeks later when he was actually ready. Another opinion, don't start this process for lets say a month or so and give up because its hectic....it confuses them...and yes when their ready you'll know for sure but keep in mind their still toddlers and do need a bit of a boost here in there when just "not wanting to go", you CAN tell the difference if their actually ready, or started the process and being stubborn, you should know your child...use your judgement wisely so you dont drive yourself insane =P

I'am a stay at home mom so its hard for me to exactly answer this question of potty training around a BUSY schedule. Of course being a stay at home mom its not a sit around on the couch and watch my favorite show all day type of work but still. You dont "train" them first of all, you train dogs, not children. However its just a common phrase thats been used forever...anywho....as most parents SHOULD know, as many have said when your child is ready to use the potty...THEY WILL! i've heard boys are harder to "potty train" than girls. Not sure if thats true but surprisingly my son started using the potty at 2yrs 5months. If your a stay at home mom the process i think would be more easy. I introduced him to the potty because i knew he was ready but he's the stubborn type. I would have him wear big boy undies most of the day, during this time he still took naps so i put him in a diaper at nap time, then back to the undies and back to diapers at night. Within days i had in only in diapers at night. Within a couple weeks he wore undies ALL day and ALL night. However heres a few things i found helpful. I made a "star chart" for the potty process. Every time he used the potty he got a star, i did this daily. After so many stars he got a snack of choice. I even printed this in a way the stars were outlined so i let him color the star every time he went. Also had to put a time on the last drink he could have before bed, usually an hour before bed he had to stop drinking because he was for sure a bed wetter. only once did we buy pull-ups becuase of the bed wetting. In my opinion i felt like pull-ups felt just like diapers and the type of swimmers undies they have out there....so i felt like that'd confuse him n thought he would think he could go potty in them.....the process i used was awesome!!! he was fully using the potty not long after starting....but everything works differently for everyon...having a boy i tried the "target" thing with cherrios.....my son was the type whod reach in the potty and try to eat it >.< but if you have a boy obviously start them off by sitting, not standing...unless your son adapts the other way, do w/e works for him!!!! my son is 3yrs 3 months and only sometimes stands to use the potty...

0
29 0

According to my current day care provider by law a child cannot have just plain undies until they have basically mastered going potty. That said, find a training pant that has a feel wet liner, or I suppose you could get a bunch of really really cheep fabric and cut some liners that would feel wet but could be thrown away.

For DD our day care provider got her on the potty all the time. She was trained by 3. DS is a different story he wants to sit on the potty but hasn't went yet. I have a newer job so I can't take a lot of time off, but I put him on the potty every chance I can get. He's going in undies one weekend we're at the cabin, he can run around outside and feel the wet, plus I don't have to clean up anything but poop (bonus)

0
6 0

The government has time to write laws about my kids' underwear, but they can't seem to get it together to make sure our old folks can afford diapers. Seems a bit strange.

537 19

We just leave it up to the kid as much as possible. For us this has meant putting them in a snappable Motherease cloth diaper with no cover on, so that they and their caregiver know exactly when they go and they don't sit in their pee. This helps them to break the habit of just sitting around in a whizzed diaper until someone checks. And then we watch and wait. My son is now 26 months and has recently switched to undies at bedtime. He still has accidents during the day on occasion, but I just bring him to the bathroom and clean him up, no questions asked. I occasionally ask if he needs to go to the bathroom, and he knows that he needs to go before bed and as soon as he wakes up, but you have to leave it up to them in my opinion. They are more than happy to do things that big people do if you let them do it themselves.
Both of our kids have gone #2 in the potty since before they were 8 months. This is because I put them on the potty when I knew they were starting to go, and then they learned that it is much more pleasant to let us know they need to go to the potty than it is to poo all over themselves. So that's saved us a lot of work! The best thing to keep in mind is that they will be potty trained eventually. They will not have to take diapers to college, even if you were to do nothing at all to help them learn. So don't worry!

0
3 4

I have been asking myself this same question. I need help. I am a single mom who works 2 jobs to support my 2 1/2 year old daughter. I have tried everything: the sticker chart, high fives, hugs and kisses, bribing with treats. For about a year now I have been and her sitter has been just taking her to the potty about every thirty minutes or so. She does better with her sitter and doesn't fuss. But at home with me it's a battle. Sometimes, I feel she knows what to do but just refuses to go the potty. Help!! Please!!

0
10 16

My daughter is three and still not potty trained....I wouldn't worry so much.....just let her run around naked and pee everywhere....she will definitely not like the feeling! A lot of cleaning but it worked for a lot of busy families.