How do you prevent lice outbreaks?

Schools are often breeding grounds for lice, and it's possible that your child may have lice problems more than once. What can you do to prevent more lice outbreaks?

100 27

using Tea Tree oil shampoo at least once a week will help keep the bugs at bay... my daughter is in sports and always coming home with it. this finally stopped it from coming back over and over... they do not like the smell

11
12 6

very true I went to a natural food store and talked to the guy there he said tea tree oil kills lice not as fast as the lice shampoo but its natural and safer. If you have shampoo already by tea tree oil and add 3-5 drops in the shampoo and conditioner before you apply to hair. world like a charm and your kid doesn't smell like pesticides.

14 24

What we do as we live in Florida and this can be an issue all year round is I buy a little bottle of Tea Tree oil from Walgreens its $10 but the little bottle last a long time. I add 10 drops to all shampoo and body wash and add at least 20 or more it to the laundry soap depending on size of bottle. Shake everything before each use and we never have a problem when the other kids in our Apt complex have gotten them in the last year. I even put drops in the carpet and on seats of car and carpet and beds in house every few months doesnt hurt anything and we stay Lice free.

7
1 20

Product is the key! Lice kilng to CLEAN hair.. Keep something in it when u send the kidz off to school... Gel... Moroccan oil.. Something.. ;) as a stylist this is wht I do with my kidz n *knock on wood* no lice in my house!!! :)

7
18 41

Moroccan oil works wonders on my daughter Thanks

49 12

We have found tea tree shampoo to be highly effective. We had one infestation which meant I investigated the best methods of treatment, and personally don't like the idea of chemicals on my young son plus they can be very expensive. We invested in a decent comb which comes with a lifetime guarantee and use tea tree shampoo as part of our hygiene regime as a family. We have not had lice since.

6
1 13

My SIL works for a lab that produces a chemical free topical remedy for lice. However, her research lab has found that something about coconut scented things are very unappealling to lice. So, as a preventative measure, we use only coconut scented shampoos. My kids, age 5 & 7, have NEVER had lice, despite exposure to it at daycare and school.

5
23 35

I recently heard the same and bought coconut conditioner. I am going out to get coconut body wash too. do they make coconut laundry detergent?

1 21

I put tea tree oil in both the kids' shampoo and in mine. We haven't had any buggies since I started doing that.

5
0 34

I have my kids use Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel products. Both my daughters had gotten infested w head lice a few yrs ago. We spent $500 - at the time - paying a company to come over and get rid of the lice. It worked & then I found out about the Fairy Tales products that work wonders. My girls have been lice free ever since.

3
0 20

That's the best shampoo ever!! We use it too!!

0 210

Mayonnaise! When I was in Elementary School there were constant outbreaks of lice and every week my mom would cover my sisters and my hair in mayo and then put shower caps on us. Leaving it on for a few hours will kill lice. It also makes hair super soft!

3
0 12

#1, Put Tea Tree Oil in your shampoo. Put several drops and shake very well, also shake before using each time.

#2, The Original Listerine, Put it in a spray bottle and spray down back packs, furniture ect.

I babysat a little girl who had it almost none stop for almost 2 years. I know, should have told her mom NO, but she is single mom and I felt sorry, She seem to try, but just could quite get it. We were able to prevent getting it almost the whole time. The only time we got it was when it was first noticed and when we ran out of tea tree oil. I was able to get totally rid of it in about 3 weeks of using these that i've listed, ALSO blowdrying hair and using a combination of Dawn Dish Soap and Vinegar in a spray bottle, left it in the hair for no more than 30 mins then wash out. I did this every 3-4 days and either washed and dried or just dried all bedding and spraying it on hair brushes. Hope this helps.

3
10 13

I put my daugthers hair up in a pony tail and or braid and keep frizz oil on it as well as hairspray. They can not hang on to the hair if there is stuff on it. So far no lice at my house!

3
0 20

we use Fairy tales Lice repellant shampoo, Conditioner and the leave in spray daily. It works wonders! My daughter has had lice twice in the past, and once I started using Fairy tales she has not had them again. A little pricey but well worth it in the long run!! WWW. Fairytaleshaircare.com

2
0 34

Erin, I had said that I use these products for my daughters as well. I so love their products & they have kept my daughters lice free for the past few yrs. I totally recommend their products to all my friends that have kids & my kids' friends' parents.

1 13

LICE NO MORE!! All that has to be done is not letting your child out of the house with a clean head! yes thats right i said NOT a clean head! Lice love the clean child and the cleaner the child the more lice flock to that child, its frustrating and just way too much to handle in our busy lives as moms ans caretakers of children. So what u do is always always always and i can not stress this more but always put some kind of product on your child's hair before they go to school in the morning! thats it! Lice hate the dirty head because they -the lice- can not attach themselves to the hair shaft when there is a product on the hair shaft. So therefore they -the lice- stay away from the kids who have hairspray, gel, mousse and the like on thier hair! Trust me this works! My girlfriend told me of this trick that she did to her daughter who the lice loved so much that she got the lice so much it was wayy tooo much for my friend to handle so she decided to do this to her daughter's hair every morning before school she would put her daughter's hair in a ponytail and spray all parts of the child's head to get full coverage with the hairsray or mousse. I also adpated this princibal to my son who for some reason - the lice- loved and so once i did this i never ever had them again!! And there had even been 3 - 4 lice papers sent home from the classroom and my son got through all of it unscathed! so try it BUT b dilligient with it and dont stop ever or your child will i guarantee get - the lice-!! Good Luck to all!! Heidi Wesley!!

2
1 13

skip the tree tea oil usage that can be too abrasive if overused. Please just try my rememdy its the best it will always work and my son never ever has lice anymore!! thank God!! :) Good luck to all!

18 1

One possible suggestion is to have the whole family regularly use a tea tree shampoo.

2
973 44

I've heard that blowdrying their hair will kill the lice and eggs. They can't stand the heat. And you don't have to blowdry their hair every day, just once or twice a week will keep it away. My daughter had lice once, but since I've started blowdrying her hair, we haven't had any problems with it.

2
0 20

I like lice ice from heb. It seems less toxic and really suffocates bugs. And it's easy to use. To prevent put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in shampoo or melelauca oil u can find it online

2
10 13

I also love the fairy tale products! We use the gel, shamppo and conditioner! I even keep a bottle of leave in conditioner in the car for a quick spray when we are at large gatherings.

1
139 9

When my kids were little we battled this one for several months. It was incredibly frustrating, and it was very irritating. What worked for us was hot oil treatments - we used coconut scented baby oil, then put hair in shower caps, blow dried until it was hot, watched tv and styled. Then we switched to coconut scented shampoo and conditioner. That's how we finally got them out of my house.

We tried everything including chemicals and thos tiny combs - even the electric ones. It was really bad. The coconut got rid of them in no time.

1
0 0

there is a huge lice problem at the school my kids go to. the lice now days have mutated and using over the counter chemicals and tea tree oils/ shampoos dont work. i have found the best and easiest way to get rid of them is to get some cheap conditioner and a good lice comb and just comb the conditioner out. this gets rid of lice that are big and also any that have just hatched. my kids are at the age where they can do it in the shower themselves. they do it every night that way and new lice that have just hatched are combed out as well. keep there hair up at school and you shouldnt have any more problems. i did buy a robi comb but it is usless cause it just combs the live lice out everywhere. doest catch all of them. metal comb and cheap conditioner gets them out everytime.

1
2 13

Buying a Robi Comb changed our life with lice forever. If you have lice problems at your kids school or recurring and hate the poison like I do, get a Robi comb. It is a battery operated lice comb that saps the lice dead. It is easy and can be used everyday until the problem is gone, than use it whenever the itch is a threat or a lice is spotted at school. We never had a problem getting rid of lice ever again and neither will you.

1
2 11

I tried this once and when the teeth got a build up of oil it quit working.

4 10

Instead of adding products to my daughter's hair, I usually only wash her hair every couple of days. The natural oils prevent lice from latching on. It also prevents her scalp from getting dry too which was a problem we were experiencing as well.

1
23 35

We don't wash hair everyday either. Who has the time lol. Busy moms know what I'm sayin.

3 11

I add about 10 drops of tea tree oil to my daughters shampoo every time I open a new bottle and shake it up. I haven't had a problem since starting this. It also helps to find a shampoo with coconut oil in the ingredients-they don't like that either.

1
80 10

I have a good friend whose mom was a nurse her whole life, and started out as an army nurse. She was old school and new the lowdown on lice backwards and forwards. Here are the important things to know about lice:

They will not live more than 24 hours without a meal, and their meal is your blood. All you need to do to kill any lice that may be harbored in pillows, mattresses, or upholstery is to cover it in plastic for at least 24 hours, 2 days to be certain. They will absolutely starve.

They cannot jump or fly, and in fact, they can barely crawl unless they have hair or fibers to grip. Truly, their legs really are that specialized, and weak. The only reason comb or brush sharing is a risk is because of the hair that may have lice on them in the comb or brush. Hats are pretty much the same thing, though yarn hats can be higher risk.

Finally, they are attracted to body heat, for two very important reasons. One, they know that's where the food is, and two, the nits (what we typically think of as eggs, ) must have that radiated body heat that can only be found right on the scalp to hatch. If they are dislodged even an 1/8 of an inch away from the scalp before they can hatch, they won't hatch.

When you know these things, you can actually beat lice, and prevent it, without any special additives or chemical measures at all. Interestingly, the reason blowdrying hair seems to help is NOT because they get too hot; it's because the agitation of the hair in order to get it dry dislodges the nits so they don't stay on the scalp, where they need to be in order to hatch. Product or no product really doesn't matter, because trust this; there are plenty of dirty homeless people who have lice. But people who use product are also typically washing and blow drying their hair at least every other day, and nits take 6-7 days to hatch, and they must have that perfect environment for the entire time to survive.

1
8 7

We had this issue with lice about 3 years ago. I was getting so frustrated with this feeling like I was constantly treating my girls' hair. I got a tip from a hairdresser though that has kept our house lice-free. I started by not rinsing out all the conditioner from their hair and combing their wet hair everyday with a lice comb until it was all removed. Then I just started using mousse or gel in their hair every day and blowdrying their hair. This has worked for us for ..like is said..at least 3 years now.

1
1 13

thats the way to b tracy!! and thats the only way to get rid of them and keep them at bay!! good going and good luck to u in the future!! Heidi

0 19

Ever since my oldest daughter even started school I have used Paul Mitchell's Teatree shampoo. Throughout the summer I have her use it maybe once every 2 weeks but during the school year (and starting 2 weeks before school starts) I have her use it 2-3 times per week. When she's not using that she uses just regular shampoo. I have never, ever, had lice come into my house. Even when all her friends were getting it, she would remain lice free. She has very thick hair. I have every intention on my youngest daughter using it as well when she starts going to school. I swear by it and tell everyone to use it.

1
0 0

My daughter is 10 and we had also never ever had lice. We also have a 7 an 5 year old boys and have made it through year after year of letters being sent home; but one sleepover changed it all. My daughter slept over another girls house this summer and about 8 days later her head itched; so I looked... Nothing. I did not know what to look for and I didn't have a nit comb. Finding out that her friend had it a week prior to her spending the night angered me, but the girls mom came over with the nit comb and sure enough. She found a bug. I am going through this now and it is a nightmare! I want to do all of these things but unfortunately we used the chemical shampoo and still found a live bug 4 days later....we can't retreat until day 8 but is there a mid treat treatment?

3 10

Walgreens carries a product called "Lice Shield" we use the shampoo and the detangler and so far we have not had lice brought to our home from school or sports!

1
1 2

my aunt has used that for my little cousin and she still brings home lice. i guess it might be the detangler but i also suppose it depends on the hair type.

0 0

Also if your hair is dirty they won't go on the hair. And if you put mousse it will suffacte the lice nd make them not come again.

0
0 0

Did not see anyone suggesting, lemon juice or any heavy citrus acid juice. BTW: I read this very funny novel about a lice outbreak. The book is called “NITS” available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Nits-Michele-Harris/dp/0615925863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390274837&sr=8-1&keywords=nits

0
1

You all stink don't do it every night

0
0 0

This is the first my girls have had lice. I have shampoo with the nix, combed, there hair my oldest is 12 and she had it worse. I have tree tea oil shampoo it peppermint and the oil that I will for sure be putting it in our shampoo. Reading these post on here have been a big help. Thanks everyone

0
0 0

Well my eldest who is 6 has never had head lice (one of the very few) but I wash her hair ever yother day. I always use Vosene and when I tie her hair up in the morning (her hair is long) I put a little moose on and tie it up in a bobble and plait it tight. I was always told that lice can't get in to tight tied up hair, and don't like moose.....and it has always worked for me. In the 3 years she has been at school she is the only one in her class that has never had head lice!

0
2 11

I used to have a recurring problem. I agree with the mayo, coconut, and tea tree oil remedies. But what has kept us lice free for the past 5 years? I have my kids at home using OHVA, an online public school. Lice wasn't the reason I had originally pulled my kids out of brick and mortar schools, bullying was. But the result has been no more lice!!!!! (Or bullying) The social events we attend with our school have been great with great parents and kids.

0
0 2

A very effective way - Blend a few pips of garlic and apply on hair. Leave for 20 mins and rinse off. Then apply shampoo. It truly works. Try it!

0
1 29

The school that my children go to have been notified the last two times within the month of April that my girls had lice. I texted the the nurse and called and left a message for the principal. The nurse told me she checked all the kids hair the first time. My kids had it pretty bad. I figured the school would send out notifications to other parents but they never did. So I got the regular RID lice treatment and spent 4 hours combing out their poor heads. 2 hours each child. I made sure they were lice free. I washed all bed clothing and bagged up stuffed animals and pillows. I sprayed the whole house. It was very expensive. 2 weeks later they got it again. I again notified the nurse, and the principal. No letter sent home. I asked our neighbors whose children attend the same school. I went to walmart and got the pesticide free spray. Both kids had only a few adult lice, several eggs and several nits. Now I know about the tea tree oil. Where can I get it from??? I will be investing in large quantities of it. Lice is no fun! I agree, eventually they will become immune to all the pesticides. I was also told that gooping the hair up with mayonaise works as well. Is this true? Other than what I did previously, I just keep a close eye on the girls. As soon as they scratch, sometimes its because their sweaty kids, but lately its been lice.

0
14 24

You can get tea tree oil at stores like walgreens or any health food store.

0 29

use tee tree essential oil and it prevents lice from going on to your childs hair, I use to use it on my daughter and never had any problems with lice while most of her school friends had.

0
18 41

Tea tree oil is great but my daughter is allergic to it.She was coming home with it week about till a friend suggested we try the Morrocon Oil .We wash her hair once a week then put oil in damp hair and comb it through I also have Lavender oil in her water spray bottle and after doing her hair in the morning I spray it with hair spray.We have not had them since week 7 of term 4 2011 so a clear 1st term of 2012 so hoping we have found our fix to the problem.

0
6 0

Keep hair tied. Little girls seem to work closely together in class, heads touch, therefore more chances of spreading. I put a little bit of tea tree oil in my daughters hair so it's a little slippery for the lice to hang on to the hair. :)

0
147 31

Keep their hair braided and neroli oil or wintergreen or spearmint I have heard live don't like it.

0
12 6

Ok here is what works for my family on getting rid of the public school plague aka lice

1 determine how bad the infestation is
2 use lice shampoo if needed and treat sheets, pillows, brushes, and hair doodles (extreme heat kills the bugs so if you need to just toss what you need in the drier on high and burn the little bastards)
3 vinegar in hair and a plastic bag tied around hair for minimum of an hour to dissolve eggs
4 comb, comb, and comb some more
5 tea tree oil in shampoo or tea tree oil shampoo at least once a week
6 comb until you don't find anything in your hair
7 lice checks as needed weekly, daily etc

0
12 6

also some people get lice easier than others my daughter and I get it something awful my son on the other hand I have only ever found maybe 3 bugs on him and that was at one time.

20 0

Hello Moms... A friend from the east coast told me about this great line of kid's hair care stuff that is actually for lice prevention. I looked up their site, www.zippitydoos.com, and saw tha it was available at Dahl's of all places. I never knew you could prevent lice, but this company says their line is pediatrician approved, laboratory tested, and paraben and sulfate-free. I picked up some yesterday and will use the shampoo and conditioner tonight at bath time. Smells pretty good and my daughter loved the bottle and the pretty colors. They have a whole line and my friend, a mom of 3, swears by it. Good luck!

0
4 16

i put a hair detangler in my daughters hair every morning to go to school and we have never had nits once!!!

0