How do you save money at the grocery store?

The cost of cooking healthy meals for your family can sometimes seem daunting at the grocery store. What tips do you have to make the trip more budget-friendly?

32 3

Every week make a list of what you NEED. Not what you want. I keep a list on the fridge and as I get low on something I write it on my list. When your flyers come spend some time that evening to see what's on sale and compare with your list. Either take the flyer with you to the store to price match or shop at the store that is on average the cheapest ( pricematch to flyers there too.) Shop on a monday or tuesday, stores are quieter.

If its summer and soup( for example) goes on sale for a great price stock up! don't be afraid to stock up on things you will need and use. But be careful about buying things on sale just because they are on sale. I tend to buy about 6 month's worth if its a really good sale.

Use coupons! but again, take them with you if its an item you need to buiy. If you find the noname or store brand cheaper buy it, leave the coupon there on the shelf for the die hard couponers. Also check out the 1/2price items usually fruit or bread (day olds). If you can use it up that day or freeze the bread buy it..

Write(email ) manufacturers of products you really like and tell them how good their product is and ask about coupons. Most companies will send great coupons. ( P&G, Pampers, etc... are great).

If you have space grow some veggies. 2 tomato plants gives alot of tomatoes. a 4 foot row of lettuce, salads you all summer. Swap with neighbours or become part of a community garden if you are in the city.

Most importantly in my family we use leftovers. roast chicken one night becomes chicken sandwiches for school lunches the next day. Chop the rest up and freeze it in 2 cup amounts for nights to make a quick chicken alfredo. Boil the carcass and freeze for soup stock. No one wants to eat leftovers three days in a row, but cooked meat can be sliced, chopped and frozen for another meal in a week or two.

Sometimes buying in bulk is good, sometimes not. always figure out what your family will use before it goes bad and buy accordingly and only shop once/week. small trips to the grocery store entices you to buy extra and wastes gas.

Hope those tips help. I feed a family of myself, 3 kids and a large dog for about $400/month. I budget and whatever is leftover goes into my Christmas fund . If I save $5 from using coupons and $4 from price matching, I put that $9 in my Christmas fund. -- It adds up quickly and because its already budgeted I do't miss it.

Good luck

6
7 36

I save my money by using coupon codes and coupons by using them I get discount.

3
45 13

Hi Gianna, I get my groceries FREE; ask me how. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

111 46

I have to make a list and stay with it or I will spend 500.00 dollars. I use coupons as well.

2
0 1

Make list---Shop after eating--use store brands--give yourself a time limit inside the store

2
180 21

Don't buy extras. i have changed my shopping habits to make my meals more healthy (including buying meat free of antibiotics and gorwth hormones) and my grocery bill has gone up because of that. Good food is not cheap. The only way to seve healthy meals and save moeny is not to splurge on that icecream or those cookies, or the chips taht owuld go so well with the BBQ. The ceap meats in the gorcery store are grown on factory farms where the animals at treated in horrible wasy and pumped chock full of chemicals like growth hormones to fatten them up faster and anitbiotics to keep them from getting sick in the disgusting environments that are forced to endure for their entire lives. to get health you have to be willing to spend more, to buy the meats and vegitables grown the old fashioned way. I have already noticed a difference in my health.

2
16 21

THat's great for healthier meals and for ur body BUT you really didn't answer the queston being asked. I use the price match garentee at Zellers for shelf items, pet food treats and that same concept at No Frills for refridgerated or frozen items.....this save tinme and fuel cost by not going to several stores to get all the deals.... I also stock up on the coupons (the ones that they put out to help the kids) many have an extended expiry date. Then I use these coupons on top of the price match deals for extra savings. When at Zellers I give my HBC points card and collect free rewards points on these purchases that add up to free HBC gift cards to spend on any item at Zellers, The Bay or Home Outfitters. I used my points once collected enough for a FREE patio set!!!!! Also have gotton many free aricles of clothing and grocery items with my points as well.... EXAMPLE: Kraft Peanut Butter Reg. $4.79 (most stores) is on sale at Food Basics for $1.99 and you also have a coupon for .50 centts off and you live near a Zellers not Food Basics. Bring in the flyer get the PB for $1.99 plus extra .50 cents (coupon) now only paying $149 for a product that would have cost you $4.79 that's a $3.30 davings and give ur rewards card to add points for free merchandise. Do that with as many things as possible and you will be surprised how much money you save in a month. You can bank this money for a wonderful trip. So bring in ur flyers ---price match ----use ur coupon and get ur groceries for next to nothing

0 3

Forget the coupons - shop for store brands

1
32 3

I often do that, if its something I need on my list and I have a coupon I bring it. Then I still compare which is cheaper " the product with the coupin or the store brand. If its the store brand I get it and leave the coupon on the shelf for someone else to use. \

16 4

I go online and look at the sales ads for each store.

I make a list of the things that we need for healthy meals and I see if I have any coupons to match. I go to the store with my coupons but I comparison shop. I figure out if the coupon brand is saving me more money than the store brand. If it is I will use my coupons, if not I ditch the coupon for those items and get the store brand if it is a better deal. I stick to my list and do not buy things that I think will go to waste and end up getting thrown away.

I also scan the clearance/discontinued carts located in the front and back of the store that I shop at. I look for discounted produce in the produce section. These usually have a fast approaching expiration date.

I try to get everything for whole week which helps cut down on gas usage for driving to and from the store.

1
45 13

Hi Denise, I get my groceries FREE, I'd love to tell you how. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

2,843 7

I always have a list and stick to it.

I buy the use it or loose it breads, (I have found that mondays before 9 am are best for this) I get the high quality bread for the price of the store brand cheap stuff. I freeze all but one loaf, so they last a long time.

I buy meats in bulk and freeze it. I buy mainly frozen veggies (canned taste horrid, they aren't worth the savings), with a few fresh depending on the season. I do get canned fruits only in juice, with a few fresh. We don't go through fruits and veggies very quickly.

Starting in September I buy a turkey once a month. I get around a 15 lbs bird. It lasts us the entire month and is great for those quick fix meals. I also use it to make my own stock (I make about 8cups).

I only buy pasta on sale (the store we go to does a 10 for 10 about once a month). I get canned tomatoes in bulk and make my own sauce.

1
45 13

Hi Brittany, I get my groceries FREE, ask me how. MY email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

61 0

make a list of the coupons you are going to use, use coupons on products that you use, buying stuff that your family will not use, or like is not a savings, make a list, stick to the list with the coupons, and shop ALONE if you can. Don't expect to become a coupon queen like the tv shows, our grocery store is cracking down on people like that, they clogg up the lines and make the store put more people on to check, making the overhead go up, because they have to open a line either just for them which means they need another checker to be scheduled which means more payroll.

I have done this for ever, ok, the last 30years, and I take apx $50 off when I really needed to, when I had 3 teenage boys, 1 tween boy and one elementary school boy. It saved us also to use store brand chips, milk, and things like that. It is all in what you think you need and what you really need.

1
45 13

Hi Liz, I get my groceries FREE, ask me how. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

17 0

I have been trying to limit the amount of meat that we eat and to buy more root veggies because they are always cheaper. Discount stores like Aldi are good options too. And now for my crazy idea... I try to keep a rough estimate of how much I'm spending while shopping. If an item is $1.69, I round it up to $2. Then I will set a limit of usually $150, buy necessities first and then go through and get any little extras with what's left. It's a bit of work to do shopping with babies but it definitely let's you know how all of those little extra items can add up and encourages you to think twice.

0
1,314 0

There are certain items that I only buy on sale - meat, peanut butter, etc. I have a price point and stock up when they drop that low.

We also shop at restaurant supply stores. We have four kids and some stuff is vastly cheaper from restaurant supply.

I've never had much luck with coupons. They seem to be mostly for processed food, personal care products and cleaning supplies that we don't buy.

0
3 0

I comprise a list of needed items, in addition to using coupons, as well as apps on my phone to compare prices among stores. The important thing is to have a well laid out plan when it comes to grocery shopping and not just do it on a whim. Also, never go grocery shopping when you're hungry! It makes for buying things just because your hungry, and not things that you actually need. Do a weekly inventory, make a list, stick to it, and use coupons!

http://newmamadiaries.com/pregnancy-shopping-couponing-the-basics/

0
12 0

Plan a weekly menu. Then buy things according to this menu. This will save you lots of time and money during the week when you are stuck on what to make for dinner. If it is not on the list do not buy it.

0
3 0

Hi, evreryone, I do make a list of what i need at the store and shop for groceries at Sams Club, unless there is something I want that sams club does not have, then I will go to Walmart.

0
1 0

There are countless ways to save money at the grocery store. Here are just a few:

- Save money before even going to the store by reducing food waste, using up leftovers and using food before it expires or goes bad.
- Create a weekly menus to determine exactly what items you need to buy and how much.
- Compare prices using the weekly flyers from each store. Sometimes store brands of products are cheaper than name brands, sometimes not.
- Clip coupons, but only for items you absolutely need (spending money to save money is never a good idea).
- Buy on sale. in fact, aim to never purchase something at full price. if you find something at a really good price, stock up.
- Don't be afraid of the reduced price produce or bakery items. Stores tend to reduce the price of these items well before their actual 'sell by' dates.
- Make budget shopping fun by turning it into a game, challenging yourself to spend less and save more!

0
0 0

i agree with carol. That is the best way to manage your budget if your income is limited.

0
88 6

Each week, I plan each meal for the day (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Snacks) I go thru my coupons and watch the sale ads. I usually have a few extra meals each week due to plan changes or if we do not feel like having a meal during the day, which happens allot in my house. I have a food saver and when I find meat on sale, I buy as much as my budget allows, I vacuume seal it then freeze it. (Most importantly, stick to your weekly budget, whatever the case. If you go under your budget, put it in a reserve for sale days...if you go a little over you can draw it from your reserve.) When I find specials on toiletries, I buy as much as I can. My husband always tells me that if it is something we will use, buy it, it will keep on the shelf. I love to cook so, when I plan meals I make more than we will eat in one meal and freeze it, so if we take trips, picnics or whatever, I pull it out of the freezer and it stays cold until we are ready to eat. We recently took a vacation and our RV has a fridge/freezer...I was able to take all pre-made meals including breakfast and we went out to eat 1 time in 6 days. We saved so much money on food that we had more money for extracaricular activities.

If you plan your meals, you have every ingredient that you need plus if you make too much you will have leftovers and you will have a free night each week by having a "left over night". Then that one meal you did not have flows over into the next week. It is a win, win situation.

Hope this gave you some ideas.

0
0 5

Coupons Coupons Coupons!!!

0
1 17

I wait until Wednesdays, when all the flyers are in my paper. I look and see what is on my list and then I may shop at a couple of different stores for items. I only shop 2x a month unless it is milk and sometimes bread or cereal. Make sure that you take the time to sign up for rewards cards at your different stores, especially since it doesn't cost you anything to sign up. I ALWAYS get my milk at CVS because I have an extrabucks card and about every other week I get at least one coupon for money off my purchase. The other day I needed cereal, yogurt and bread and my Winn-Dixie flyer had (with your rewards card) 3/$6 cereal, buy-one-get-one-free bread and 10/$5 yogurt. I spent $11.99 but saved $10.16! And I got a coupon with my receipt for more cereal. I don't stick to any certain stores necessarily, except for my meat, It just depends on what is cheapest where.

0
1 13

I am terrible with coupons, and I have very little storage space to stock pile, but in the past year out family has seen a signifacnt decrease in the amount of money we spend at the store! Every weekend I scan through the freezer and pantry and then we make a dinner menu for the week. Some menu items may be specific, and some less so... for example I may have balsamic glazed pork chops, mashed potatoes, and "veggie" - this allows me to pick produce that is a good price and looks good while I am shopping - if the fresh produce is unappealing I will substitute with frozen steamed veggies. We build our shopping list off of the dinner menu. While at the store I STICK TO THE SHOPPING LIST for the menu items. If I encounter a good sale price I will pick something up to include in another week's menu (chicken breast on sale? Fantastic in the freezer for use next week!). For breakfast, lunch, and snack items I strickly shop the sales. If I find a good price on cereal, bagels, frozen meals, snack items, etc. I will stock up, if not, those items wait for my next shopping trip.

I like to have a lot of fresh fruits and veggies on hand and previously found that we were not using all the fresh produce I was buying, so every week things were getting thrown away. With the menu I go to the store LESS, my husband and I can share the cooking because we both know the plan, and I only buy what I need, and I am not throwing rotten food away. I also buy much less processed food... processed food was always the fall back when we didn't have a plan, but with meals planned out ahead of time, I never reach for the Hamburger Helper, or a frozen pizza!

Meat (and meat substitutes) are expensive! When making menus, remember to add things like fresh fruit to your dinner plates, and multiple veggies - these make for full plates and bellies, without needing to fill up on huge quantities of meat.

0
32 3

We never buy hamburger helper either but we often eat something similar. I will take a pound of hamburger, cook it, will cooking a 1 1/2 cups of pasta ( any kind usually elbow or shells shape). when they are booth cooked I mix them together with the previous nights leftover cooked veggies and one can undiluted veggie soup. add a feww shakes of italian seasionings and bake for 20 minutes. at a layer of shredded cheese on top, bake another 5 minutes and my kids LOVE it. I also make homemade spagetti sauce in the slow cooker once/month and its loaded with all of the week's leftover veggies (Only made when there are a bunch of veggies nearing the end of their prime). plus 1 lb of hamburger. that usually gives me enough sauce to put into 4 x 3cup containers to freeze. and we can have a very healthy, veggie laden, spagetti once/week without much labour. plus this means a pound of hamburger gives us 4 meals and nobody seems to notice as you see the hamburger in the sauce.

16 57

Clipping and using coupons!! I try to go to the store every 2 weeks. The more often you go, the more impulse shopping you do!!

0
45 13

I get my groceries FREE. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com. Ask me how.

110 20

MELALEUCA. Contact me we can get you signed up to use these wonderful natural made concentrated scientifically proven products. Most are pattented and made here in the United States. If you want to make a residual income like me you can also do that but, not required to purchase the products. Its amazing and I have done very well with this. 479-422-3417 Marina.

0
45 13

I get my groceries FREE; ask me how. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

55 19

We have made a list of all the items in our pantry and a level we like to keep on hand. We print this list each week and go through our cupboards, fridge and freezer. We indicate which items need replenishing on the list. We only buy what's on our list. Using this method, we have whittled our grocery budget down by $100 - $200 each month. Some produce isn't available at a good price - we chose less than $2 per pound - so we make a different choice. We have been using this method without coupons (the coupons don't get the name brand items cheaper than the generic or store brand) and without trips to several stores. We buy bulk items if it truly is a better buy - we compare the serving cost and the shelf life - and we shop only once per week. If we run out of something before the week is out, we deal with it. I hope you can use some of this information or add it to the other responses as they are valuable as well. Good luck in your quest to save at the grocery store.

0
180 21

I have a list like that too, it is very helpful.

12 12

go by the flyers and coupons and make a list of all the things that u need...it sounds funny but its true in my case that grocery shopping which is done after eating saves me from having food craving while shopping and that way I do not buy thing that are not required....this way I save a lot of money.

0
45 13

I get my groceries FREE ask me how. My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

5 1

Actually my husband does our shopping, he saves us money by using the store papers and finding the coupons that match. He also shops at 2 to 3 different stores to catch the best deals then he buys several of the item that's on sale, like five to 10 of the same thing.
Also, we are working with a grocery delivery company that helps you to ELIMINATE YOUR GROCERY BILL, which saves you a ton of money. If anyone would like more info send me an email. This company is amazing!!!

0
45 13

I get my groceries FREE; ask me how.....My email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com

9 1

I shop specials and bulk buy when I can.Also try to make as few
trips to grocery store as possible.

0
45 13

6 0

I coupon a lot and make a list of wat I need that way I save money

0
6 2

I agree with a lot of this....many times, I find that the store brand is cheaper, even w/ a coupon for the name brand...not always, but frequently...I try to plan meals around items that we already have...think ahead to what nights you or hubby might be home, etc....don't buy stuff for meals for each night if there's only going to be one or two everyone will realistically be home. Also, in our area (chicago and suburbs) we have places like Garden Fresh, Caputo's etc, that offer veggies, fruit, and other products much cheaper and better selections than what you find at Jewel or dominick's. Also, consider Aldi for certain items. It is hard to save $$ on groceries, but every little bit helps I guess :)

18 65

I coupon! It has saved a TON of money. I have got some great deals on things and it has been like another pay check for our family.

0
45 13

I get my groceries FREE........ask me how?......my email is talonzo2@satx.rr.com