How do you stop an infant from accidentally self-harming?

Whether baby is sticking her hand half way down her throat or banging her body into hard surfaces with her newfound mobility, how do you stop an infant from harming herself?

13 18

Simple answer: you don't. Kids need to hurt themselves so they know not to do it again. My daughter's 17 months and still hurts herself all the time. The trick is not to react. When she was starting to get around, if she fell on her bum, we'd laugh, and she'd laugh with us. If you gasp and get panicked, she will too. The likelyhood is, she'll get a fright and start crying.

Hope this helps. =]
Mhairi-Anne.

8
6 5

The more you try to prevent an accident the more likely it will happen example you tell your child repeatedly be careful you're going to fall and yes eventually they fall our brain reacts in strange ways ever notice we hurt ourselves but don't feel any pain or notice it until we see blood lol same thing with trying to prevent accidents besides kids need to sometimes experience it to understand that it's going to get them hurt :)

2
1 0

When our 18 month old twins hurt themselves, or even each other, we don't make a big deal about it - break them up if they're fighting and really hurting each other, but for the most part, just leave them alone. We're a little more hands-off than a lot of parents I know, but our kids are healthy, happy, and developing just fine. :)

2
5 4

Best thing to do is not react. Usually this behavior becomes engrained when the kid figures out that they get some kind of attention from it. If she throws up from the hand throat thing let her be gross for a but so she realizes its not attention getting or fun having vomit on herself.

2
17 17

I agree with the other comments, young ones r exploring themselves n testing barriers do your best to safe guard the surrounding area and monitor the matter without intervening unless it's required.

1
1 10

you just have to let them go at it. Baby/toddler proof as best as you can, but beyond that, they are gonna hurt themselves. My daughter at 19 months old is a wrecking ball when she plays. She doesn't break toys or hasn't cut or bruised herself, but she knows it hurts when she bangs into something and usually stops and thinks for a second before she does it again.

1
1

I wish the BM in my life would look at this post. Youngest step-daughter has always been active. I joke with my husband that she must have danced her way out of her mother's belly. She runs... a lot. She hits her sister... a lot. She moves.... a lot. She throws herself on the floor.... a lot. She trips and falls.... a lot.
To date we are very craeful so that she doesn't seriously hurt herself, but minor bumps and scratches have ocurred. I remember every single centimeter-lenght scratch or cut. Every insignificant bumb. I remember it all. Not because I want to, but because BM makes it a point to call CPS each.single.time.
Thankfully CPS knows the deal and understand the concept of "kids run, play, and hurt themselves."

0
1 0

AH HUN I NO WAT YR GOIN THRU MY LITTEL BABBA DRUGGED HERSELF AND THEN HID UNDER A BED FOR DAYZ N DAYZ N I DONE ALL I CD TO FIND HER CALLED THE NASHUNAL PAPERZ AND GOT SUM TSHIRTS N EVERTHIN BUT I STILL GOT N TRUBBEL BLESS MY WEE ANGLE XOXOXOXOXOXXXXXXXXX

0
235 30

You can't completely, All you can do is try your hardest to always keep them in your sight so you can ward off potential danger. Even with your best efforts babies will eventually wind up with bumps and bruises. It's all part of growing up. Hopefully though through babyproofing and close supervision it can be kept to a minimum.

0
14 1

My little one just started banging her head on her crib sides when she is protesting a nap!!!

0
13 9

My son is 17 months old and he likes to sit and
bang his head on the wall or the gate and he thinks
it's funny even when he hurts himself I tell him no
and the more he does it. My dr told me its normal
but make sure he doesn't hurt himself. He has already
had a trip to the hospital he thought he could
walk down cement steps well he missed a step
and fell on his head. You would not believe all the bruises
he's has gotten but it's all normal.

0
10 27

My 15 month old has just started throwing tantrums, if hes on the ground he will roll around on the ground landing on objects on the floor of hitting his head. If he does this in bed he will throw himself against the sides of the cot hitting his head etc. Cant do anything about it but let him go, doesnt want you to hold him and he needs to learn from his mistakes.

0