How do you stop your kid from biting other kids?

Children can be very physical with each other, and sometimes take out their frustration and emotions by biting each other. When your child is the one biting other kids, how do you deal with it? What are ways to stop your child from biting other kids?

0 10

When my kid bites me, I hold his hand & bite on his hand..This way he realises how it is painful...I have tried this several times & it works...

7
0 2

You sick woman no wonder he bites !

9 3

We had this problem with my son in daycare. Other kids were biting and he was biting back. We tried to display the hurt that it caused us when he bit us. Showing that he caused pain. He did it when he was really angry, it was a form of releasing his anger. So we taught him that when he is really mad, instead of biting, hitting, or saying something mean, to instead walk away. At first, when he did bite again, we would explain the hurt and asked what he should have done, and he would tell us "I should have walked away" and told a teacher. He has not bitten in a very long time. Biting my child back was not something I felt comfortable with. He was bitten by other kids, so he knew how it felt. I didn't want to repeat his behavior. Each family/child is different of course, this is just my take on it.

3
3 10

If my 14 month old bites me, I bite him back as well. I think that it helps him realize that it hurts when it is done. He doesn't bite often but when he does those little sharp teeth hurt. As long as you are careful with it and do not injury the child I don't see anything wrong with it.

3
99 6

My youngest would bite my older daughter. I told her it hurt, please do not do that...then she bit me....I bit her back. The biting stopped forever.

1
0 0

i will carry my baby away then come him down then talk smoothly to him , bite him let him know also a good way but got side effect , because it bite him will make him more " mang zhang " by the way i use the night time when my son calm down then talk ti him slowly the its work ! when children in straight line mood is the best way to talk and teach (not A,B,C)

1
1

1) Define the behavior in a non-blaming manner; 2) State the tangible effect of the behavior; and 3) Clarify how the behavior makes you feel...When children did not feel attacked, and realized what the adult was feeling they stopped the negative behavior.

0
16 0

old school, yes kids bite out of anger or frustration, but because the human mouth is so full of bacteria how many times will you let your self get bit or another child? Bite your kid back, I am not saying draw blood or leave marks, but if they feel mad enough to release anger they also understand it causes a release of pain. I am an old school mom and it worked for me of course I only had one biter, but after one she never did it again.

0
353 0

This is a hard one. I know when I worked in daycare for many years we had some biters and one in particular I remember because he would bite so hard and draw blood. It would happen so quickly even with me standing right there.

After many reports and parents threatening to sue-etc the Mother finally got fed up and bite him back. He never bit again after that.

Now I don't condone it for every child. I know for me. I bit my Mom in the rearend when I was younger and she bit my hand hard and I never did it again.

Doesn't work for them all.

Some parents would have a teething ring or something to bite around their neck. That also worked in some cases. Give them something else to take their anger out on.

0
3 0

feed them mashed potato

0
0 0

My second daughter was the "class biter" in her two-year-old class (she's now in 7th grade). I was SO EMBARRASSED at the time, as they had to put a third teacher in the class just to watch her, in order to catch her in the act. Interestingly, they discovered she did NOT necessarily bite out of anger: She was slow to talk, and biting was her way of expression. To this day, she's still a very physically affectionate child, but she is also somewhat dyslexic. Language delay is just one "red flag" of dyslexia, as is left-handedness and dyslexia in the family (I'm a veteran educator as well as a mom). Try to catch your child in the act of biting to discover if the bite was out of anger, frustration, or something else entirely.

Also, remember that this, too, shall pass.

0
0 13

I agree with comforting the injured first - I know that a toddler is biting in reaction to how he/she feels, and it cn be very difficult to discern what that emotion is that causes that behavior. I DO NOT think biting a child back is a good idea - it sends a mixed message "I don't want you to bite others, so I am biting you to show you that" What confusion that causes!! The same with smacking a child because they smacked another child - makes no sense to them. The discipline must be appropriate. If he bites because he wants to play with a toy someone has, take that toy away for an hour - tell him he cannot play with it until he tells the child he is sorry, and even then, he must wait an hour. Second time, he get a time out and the toy taken away, when the time is up make him give the other child the toy and let THAT child play with it first. When he learns biting has consequenses, it should stop. I am a grandmother of 13 now, but this worked well with mine when they were little

0
79 36

Be there! Be ready, when they go through this stage it's easier to just 'be around' watching and waiting to pounce yourself- all you have to do is wait for that look in his eye and be ready to jump your hand in between the mouth and the 'victim' and say "biting hurts, darling- I cant let you hurt the baby" Offer a toy or something else of interest- change the subject.... a quick "WHATS THAT, Jason??" of "LOOK!" if you're too far away to get there in time! Explain to them (even if you think they don't understand) that if they want to play with their friends they must be nice to them, or you'll just have to both go home- if it happens again- go home. If you're too late and a biting has taken place, go to comfort the victim first- apologise for your son to them. After the soothing is done, tell him that Sammi is sore from the bite he gave her, "what can you do to make it better" Hopefully he doesn't go up to her and bite her again!! But at least this time you will be closer and see it coming!! :)

0
79 36

if your babies biting you- just put them down and walk away, you could say "Biting hurts, please don't bite me, I'm not your lunch, are you hungry?" try not to label them as naughty- they are just testing out the world and how things work :)

10 5

a pat on the hand and ask the kid to look in Mom's eye while saying No/DOn't do it
Time out works and have to remind them they need to get out of biting kids

0
0 26

Ek vra haar. "Is jy 'n hondjie?" Mens byt nie ander mense nie. Dit het darem gewerk. Dankie tog!

0
12 29

nursery gave me a great piece of advice.my little girl is 3 and never done the biting this till my little boy turned one and started biting her. they only bite each other and really bite each other. chilli sauce on there arms soon stopped them trying to take chunks out of each other!!!!

-1
14 6

good idea i think... my twin daughters r biting each other nd their class mates the day care tells me this every single day i will try this one thanks