How do you take a bottle away from a 3 year old?

24 0

Everyone is telling her what she "should have done" not what she can do now to help fix the problem. I am sure she knows she should have done something different, but that doesn't help the situation now, does it?

10
31 0

I cut the teat with sizzors and let my daughter come to say it was broken, I then gave her sympathy and said "it's all gone and broken now" I asked her to place it in the bin and she did. When she asked for it I said that it's broken.

9 10

I didn't realize this topic was old until just now- I clicked a link in my email to it =) I just want to say I hope the poster found her way through all the negativity and figured out how to wean her child effectively! A 3 year old may not need a bottle, true. But she didn't ask if they should have one- she asked how to stop it. Geez. I think it's wrong too people, but help someone out if they're asking- don't condemn them! I see so many moms choose to preach and belittle other moms instead of forming a helpful,supportive community and teach others how to better themselves if they ask for help. It's sad.

8
16 0

First off I would like to say that my daughter is 3years and 7 months old and happily on a bottle- there is no right or wrong time to get them off. It's all up to you and what feels right. My doctor just tells me not to let her sleep with the bottle in her mouth but she's never done that since she was a new born.

Just slowly dilute the milk...after a few weeks the bottles will be just water instead of milk and the baby will not want them.

7
30 17

ok, I realise that this is a very old post but I figured maybe someone else could possibly be having the same probelm and may still want a few suggestions. I'm not sure why, but my son was never very fond of his bottles so switching him to a sippy cup was waaayy too easy! LOL Now his sister.... oh boy! She yelled and screamed and hit her head on the floor untill I gave in for fear of brain damage or something similar! When I brought it up at her doctor visit she gave me some very simple suggestions. The one that worked the best was to only put warm water in her bottles and put the GOOD stuff like milk or juice or whatever their favorite drink is, in the sippy cup. She said that it can help break that bond with the bottle because the warm water doesn't taste nearly as good as what's in the cup. Well it worked like a charm and within a few days she wanted nothing to do with bottles! Also, this was near Christmas time so we madde sure that Santa gave her lots of cool cups with princesses and butterflies on them. I hope this helps anyone who needs it! Good luck!

3
4 0

I would say cold turkey! Just let him/her go to sleep one night with a bottle, then while she's asleep (teehehehe) you literally rid the house of every single bottle there is! I'm telling you- once he/she wakes up and realizes what's up- there's no turning back. Just explain it to them, tell them it's for baby's and that they don't need it anymore. If you're rational with them, they'll most likely be rational back.

3
22 0

Taking it away in one shot will not be easy, so you Should slowly wean him off. Take a look at how often he drinks out of the bottle and start off by substituting 1 with a cup. Explain that big boys drink out of a cup. Once he's used to it take away another and another. This method worked well with my niece. It took about a couple of months and when she woke up on christmas morning "Santa" took away all the bottles and left her a beautiful cup and a letter explaining that he was proud that she was becoming such a big girl. She was so happy and proud. She showed off her cup and told everyone who would listen that she wasn't a baby anymore. She was 3 at the time. She is now a high school senior and still laughs about it.

3
0 0

I slow replaced his day bottle feeds with cup feeds from the time he could hold a bottle or cup. That was the easy part. He enjoyed his water or juice in a cup, but his milkfeed had to come in a bottle. Now my next milestone is removing the night bottle. I do not give a bottle during the day, only at night when he goes to sleep. But he does not sleep with the bottle. He is fed and then I take it away when he he done and goes to off to sleep. I think it is important to do it at the child's pace and not yours.

We took away the pacifier and it almost derailed the potty training process. So one milestone at a time. Do not stress about it, and the child will not stress about it. And more important, do not allow others to dictate to you when you should take away the bottle or the pacifier. You work on your child's pace and yours.

1
0 0

I had the same problem with my eldest so I invented the dummy and bottle fairy. My daughter left out her bottle and dummy and the fairy left her a present after that whenever she asked for it I told her the fairy has it and she was ok with that.

1
113 5

A friend of mine slowly started cutting the tips of the bottles off until they where essentially "Big Kid" Bottles and lost their appeal...a snip here and a snip there should do the trick...eventually you LO will likely be just as happy with a Straw Cup.

1
68 0

Take the bottle away now . Replace it with a sippie cup they have valves now so they don't leak . And slowly when your child gets the hang of handling a cup you can take the sippie cup too .It won't be long till the child is drinking out of a cup .

1
19 34

you also have to be careful of their teeth! i actually know someone personally who has messed up teeth from being on the bottle and nuk too long and they are my age!! it can happen!!

1
0 5

lets put it this way bottles cause baby bottle rot on babies teeth. So at around 6 months they should be started on using a sippy cup if the child is on formula you can also put that in a sippy cup but I would use a bottle to measure the formula then pour it in to the sippy cup so you know how much the child is getting. I would absolutely make sure the bottle is taken away completely by a year old and pacifiers should be taken away by 2 years old, but with pacifiers the child should be weened so they are only using it at night after a year old pacifiers really delay speech in my book, because they don't take them out to talk so they have a hard time to talk. I took care of my younger cousin for 6 months when she was 3 years old about and she was still on a bottle there is no weening at 3 years old or older it has to be taken away and you have to stick your ground and say NO do not give in don't let them have it and they will soon get over it and stop asking for it but if you don't they will be going to school with the bottle consistency is the key to breaking all bad habits good luck !!!

1
2 0

I only gave the pacifier at nap and bed time and took it away at 8 months. Bottle always gone by first birthday. Introduced sippy cup around 8 months. My kids turned out great!!!! Get it away before they become dependant on them and you wont have a battle.

1
0 24

I'm assuming it will be really hard, since my sister had a horrible time taking pacifiers away from her almost 4 year old. I think thhe older they get the harder it will be, and that is why right at their first birthday we always switch from bottle to sippy with whole milk and they only take a little while to get used to it. At the age of 1 I started by giving him a bottle only at night, and making the milk he takes with his meals through a sippy. If he didn't like the cup, I would try a different style of sippy until he found the one he liked best. Then after a week or two I would take away the bottle completely and give him only sippy at night. He was too young to talk to about it, but I've heard of other moms talking to their toddlers about the "bottle fairy" and getting them excited about a visit from her. They come and take all of their bottles and give them sippys because they are now a big boy/girl and you could even include a little prize from the fairy as well. I'm sure you're anxious about how hard it will be but once you make the switch I would make it a final one and throw them away so you won't be tempted to get them back out. They will be upset but will get over it.

1
1

What to do when you have a 3 year old still wanting the bottle at bedtime and a 18month old still wanting a bottle also. How do you explain one can have and the other can't ... Any suggestions??

0
5 0

You dont. eventually she/he will leave it behind

0
8 0

things go missing sometimes, car keys tv remote favorite lipstick and baby bottles!!!!!!! babies grow up quick dont know of anyone walking down the aisle in a diaper hanging on to a bottle so dont fret the days of bottles and diapers will be a memory before you realize.

0
20 38

with your hand.

0
311 26

I would just take the bottles. Put them up where he/she cannot see them, give them away. Get the out of sight. Give the child a cup, they will figure it out.

0
0 4

My son traded his bottle for a milk cup and he only wants milk from it... He will drink from anything during the day but at night he wants his cup. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. When he was around two I took him to the store and let him pick it out and told him what I was doing. He asked for the bottle a day or two but I had put them away, out of site, told him they were gone.

0
11 5

My daughter is 17 months old and has been on a sippy cup since she was eight months oldd. However, she really still prefers the bottle at night time or when she is really sleepy. I usually give her the sippy cups during the day and she loves straws; something about those straws that toddlers love, besides the fact that they like to pull them out, too. LOL But I am down to four bottles left on the bottle rack. I have not gotten her to throw them away; what motivated me to start throwing them away was the sizes of the bottles. Now I only have four- eight ounce bottles left along with ten sippy cups, four with straws in them. Another suggestion would be to have the child throw them away and see you put the trash outside. Good luck.

0
9 52

I took my son's bottle away at before he turned 2 and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I replaced it for the sippy cup and threw away all the bottles so I wouldn't be tempted to give it to him either. He forgot about it and now he loves drinking out of plastic bottles, sippy cups & cups with straws.

0
14 4

I just did this about a month ago. My son turned 3 in March and wanted his Bottle at Bedtime and in the morning. I gave in out of laziness and admit it, cus their is NO exciuse for a 3yr old to be on a bottle or paci. My reasoning was, if he had a sippy cup at nite it was no differnce, they are still doing the same sucking motion, so why not the bottle?? And thats tru..Also they are potty trained at this age and stayin Dry all nite is almost immpossible when they are gettin bottles or cups at night. I just one day told him it was time, he was too big, not a baby, and I asked HIM to throw them away, and he did. Of course for about a 4 days he whinned for it at night (the fake cry) but is over it, now. Just make the decsion, stand firm and dont give in. I remind my son "you threw them away, remember?" and he knew when they were gone they were gone, so he gave up asking for it and now just gets a few sips out of a reg cup if he is thirsty.

0
16 0

...I would like to see your PhD to be saying that "there is no excuse for a 3 year old to be on a bottle".

11 15

It will be hard to take away the bottle at three years old, but it can be possible but it will be a fight. My best suggestion is to just wean the child off the bottle. For every bottle the child drinks out of, you should gradually replace it with a sippy cup or regular cup. With my daughter she was weaned off slowly with her pacifier, during day care they took her off the binky, then when she would come home I would slowly take the binky away from her throughout the afternoon and then at night when she went to sleep I would take it away also. It is a slow progression but I think it works pretty good.

0
35 41

I'm going through a similar problem with my middle daughter right now. She turns 3 tomorrow & is still very attached to her pacifier & still likes her bottle at night. Some nights I can get away without letting her have her bottle, even tho we do have arguements over it. It's harder when there is a younger baby in the house who has a bottle. Otherwise I would just take them away completely. Good Luck!

0
41 6

I'd get rid of both asap as they will both cause damage to your child's teeth. It will be hard for a while but maybe you could replace with some toy or other item she really wants.