How do you teach an 11 month old not to hit?

What can you do when your almost one year old is starting to hit other people? What are some suggestions for how to teach them not to do this?

31 27

My 13 month old son hits only me. He doesn't do it to be mean, but out of excitement. What I do, and it seems to be working is grab his hand, say "no hitting", and then say "nice mommy" as I take his hand and rub it softly against my face. He seems to really respond to this. When I let his arm go he continues to stroke my face in a loving manner, as I still respond to him "awww nice mommy" Sometimes I think they do it for attention...... sometimes bad attention is better than no attention, so turn the type of attention to good. Hey it's worth a try. My little guy responds to this....maybe yours will too!

4
26 33

When my daughter did that, I had (still have) a 3 time rule. 3 times i gently say "no hitting, that hurts" the 4th time, i redirect her attention elsewhere. our dog really came in handy for that! once i had to tap her hand (gently!!) because all she wanted to do was hit me, and we were on a bus, with a folded down stroller, and would just throw her toys. that with a firm voice ended that.

0
0 0

My daughter is 9 months old and started hitting between 7-8 months. She's the only child and our home is violent free so I have no idea where she gets it from. When she hits I put her hands to her side and say "No hitting, hitting is bad". She cries for a minute or two and hits again. She even pulls hair and pulls glasses off of faces. Any advice on how to tackle this before it becomes an issue???

0
4 17

11 months is a little young in my opinion for spanking or punishment. I used a combination of two things. I would tell her that we use nice hands while demonstrating and helping her make a petting/rubbing touch on me or whoever she hit and then I would redirect her. We would always do nice hands and then redirect. She just turned two and still slips up every once in a while but all I have to do now is ask if those are nice hands and she'll make nice hands, say sorry then move on.

0
12 8

Up until two the best tactic is to ignore or divert their attention. It feels wrong to let your toddler hit you but it's for attention so if they don't get it they will stop. Once they're 2+ you can start time outs.

0
30 7

I"m still working on this with my 2 year old as well. They both hit, scratch and grab my glasses. I tell them no that is not nice and use time out for my 2 year old. It is just so hard to be consistent and discipline him every single time he hits me or his brother.

0
11 5

As for me ....My 2 year old son keeps on hitting his 1 year old sister not always but when i'm around and he even pushes her very hard to the floor....

but when i tell him are you a good boy or bad boy? He sometimes tell's me bad boy coz he wants to keep on hitting and sometimes good boy...

I even diceplined him by putting him on the naughty table....but still nothing....

What should i do>>>???

0
0 0

My 13mo old hits-ESP me, I'll tell her no we don't hit mommy that's being bad and I'll put her down and she freaks like I hit her! And if I keep holding her she will wind up her other arm and hit me with that one!!!

0
0 9

I have the same problem, but slowly my daughter is realising its not ok to hit, when she hits I simply raise my voice and say Uh-Uh!! No hitting!! At first she took me as a joke, but as she gets older she understands better.

0
1

I do had same problem with my son. I teach him n make him understand its not a good behavior n good boy' s never hit people. Every time wen he does that then i ask him back whether he is good boy or bad boy n he wil answer he his a good boy n i always reply him "good boy never hit people" . even he stil vry young but he able to understand if we convey in lay man way. kids always cute wen they make mistake.

Delete
0 4

I find it's really easy to be consistent when teaching my son not to hit.
If he hits me or another person, I hold his arms, look him in the face and say, "No." Then I set him down or lay him down on the floor.
Because he likes to be held so much he gets very angry, but it keeps him from hitting for a while, usually a week or so.
The thing I find the most difficult is that when he hits another person, and they laugh or joke when they say, "No." or "Don't hit."
Or they refuse to put him down, telling me it's okay.

-1
0 4

My 15 month old hits me, my mother, and sometimes other children. He will not hit his father- so obviously he KNOWS he is in the wrong. I have a spatula that I keep in his bag most of the time, I dont spank him- I just pull it out & sometimes just tap his leg. not only does he cause a scene and act like I beat him, he goes right on hitting. I tried time-out or just holding him tightly until he calms down & stops wiggling. nothing seems to be working!!!

-1