How do you treat eczema?

What are some remedies for treating eczema in kids?

0 0

We eliminated dairy & wheat (casein & gluten) from our kids diets for several reasons but the change almost completely eliminated the asthma, eczema & nasal allergies (the asthma & nasal allergy relief was relatively immediate, the eczema took a while to clear up). It's an EXTREME change & I highly recommend you consult a nutritionist and/or your pediatrician to ensure your children are getting proper nutrition. For us the health benefits were so dramatic there was no going back once we made the switch!

29
4 0

I agree! My son had terrible eczema...and it has always been an allergen trigger...it's the body's immune response to some sort of food or environmental allergen it for whatever reason recognizes as foreign and bad. As soon as we take away the offending agent, the skin is baby smooth and clear again...but if not, the eczema is so bad, even hard core steroids do almost nothing...plus they are harmful over long term., and treat a symptom, NOT the cause!! Dairy and gluten are the most common, but nuts, soy, eggs, and corn are common triggers too. We did an IgG blood test to help us narrow the scope, and it was very helpful in narrowing the things down to eliminate and challenge as triggers.

0 0

Hate to intrude into the circle here as I'm 'only' a stay at home dad, lol. My wife and I did 'cure' my 6 year old son's eczema however so when I stumbled across this question I thought I owed it to all of you to share what we did.

When my son was about 18 months old he started to develop red itchy patches on some areas of his body. While they were different sizes, different in severity, and on varying bodyparts, there were some areas that seemed to always be irritated. A nickel sized spot on the side of his left thigh, a quarter sized spot on the middle of his right calf... At first we thought it was a few bites, then maybe an allergy, or even poison ivy (as we had just returned to the cold Boston area from a trip to Florida). We tried over the counter cortisone creams, moisturizers, oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, and even anti-fungal creams. At the end of our rope, we saw a dermatologist who prescribed stronger cortisone creams and more moisturizers. Everything seemed to work, initially, but it never went completely away and always came back.

One thing we did notice was that it was at its worst in late winter/early spring and best by late summer. We thought that was a good sign it was a possible allergy, at first, and that all the swimming we tend to do might have helped it. But, that too proved to be a red herring as we couldn't make it better by swimming more or swimming in the winter, or staying inside more in the spring. Nothing worked and what we frequently heard from the pediatrician, or other pediatricians with other kids having the same issue, was 'it sometimes gets better over time'. Great. He was now 5 years old and was not only still scratching so hard while he slept it would bleed, but was occasionally getting hive like outbreaks across his stomach and chest. Outgrow it?

Here is where it gets good though...

Reading an article about Vitamin D deficiencies in the general public, I noticed that red itchy patches, / scaly, dry or rough skin / eczema was a potential side effect. We realized my son's eczema was worse after a winter indoors, that keeping him inside in the spring did not help and possibly made it worse, and that a summer in shorts and tees outside might be what made it better.

As we did not want to send him to tanning beds in the winter and have him sunbathing in April, we looked for a decent Vitamin D supplement and tried a mouth spray we found from an on-line health site. Not only did it immediately show results, despite it being in the winter, but it completely disappeared within a month. We left the spray bottle by the toothbrush and he gave himself a spray each time he brushed his teeth (a recommended adult does is 5-6 a day). Worked wonders. So well did it work, actually, when we ran out we were in no rush to replace it, thinking it was 'cured'. Three weeks later, the itchy hive-like rash reappeared on his chest. Obviously, we had it overnighted to us the next day...

Ed White
Hip-Dads.com

Hope it helps!

27
0 0

what is the name of the product and website you purchased it from?

27 39

I use doterra essential oils lavendar and melaleuca. I do oils straight on the spots if they are really bad but for a daily dose i mix it with coconut oil and rub my kids down with it. I your kids are older or if you have problems you can do it in a capsule. I love it and then you dont have the side effects from the meds

13
5 18

ooooooo....love the essential oils idea, but cannot use coconut oil. What else can I mix it with? She is severly allergic to tree nuts...including coconut

58 42

Eliminating food allergies are important in combatting ezcema, but I do think it is important to educate yourselves in the products you use in your home. A lot of products that are in the grocery stores have known carcinogens in them like formaldehyde which give products a longer shelf life. Things like laundry detergents, fabric softeners, toothpaste, shampoos conditioners, even kids shampoos and body washes...you would be amazed. Those chemicals do not wash out of our clothes, hair, nor do they wash completely off our skin. Many of these chemicals and preservatives are linked to allergies, asthma, exzema, even cancer. This is a serious problem..our families deserve the best. I'm so thankful that I shop from a great store that eliminated these known carcinogens. I also love to help moms realize that there are products out there that really work and can help, there is a solution to these problems. They are also competative with grocery store prices. I have several people that I have referred and their children's or their own ezcema has been completely elimintated. Take a test drive and see for yourself. Everything has a 100% money back guarantee.

11
1 0

Absolutely agree! Not only eczema, but chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromialgia (spelled wrong) have been helped tremendously by switching stores to the Melaleuca safer products!!! I just heard that every 7 minutes in North America a child is taken to emergency because of household cleaners poisoning!!! Won't happen with Melaleuca! Safe and extremely effective products!

1 0

Eczema is almost always caused by an allergy whether it be from food or chemicals. Taking my son off of processed foods, dairy, gluten, soy and corn has elliminated his eczema.

11
1 0

We also added organic virgin coconut oil to our diet and we now use it in place of lotion!

0 0

I know not everyone can do this but we live on the beach and salt water is a miracle worker for my sons eczema. When he has a breakout we head out to the beach. It works great every time.

8
0 0

I wonder if its more the sun and the vitamin D than the salt water? We used to think it was the swimming / water but it looks like we were wrong...

161 9

Ezcema is very individual, therefore the treatment for it can often be very different. You can spend a fortune on creams, washes etc with not a lot of success. What I found that definitely helped my two boys was giving them a probiotic, as ezcema is a problem from the gut which manifests as a skin problem. I also found that giving my boys fish oil to be fantastic in treating the problem. I also then used soap free washes & oils, especially ones with a combination of good oils such as almond oil, manuka honey, emu oil I would bath them for a short time, not letting them sit in the water & when their skin was bad oil them up when they were wet & fresh out of the bath. The range of products here in Australia that I found fantastic is "Graham's Natural Alternatives", developed by a father who has a son with bad ezcema. Also looking at your child's diet, as their ezcema may be a food intolerance or allergy. Their overall health is a key, my son's ezcema flared up whe his asthma did so keeping on top of his asthma helped enormously.

7
1 0

Wow! Your right on about ezcema being a gut issue!! Heal the gut and your heal the body mind and spirit! :) It really frustrates me that doctors who have little to no nutritional training completly dismiss the two being related!!

1 31

I have come across a product that our family takes that has literally cleared up eczema. My daughter had it, my sister had it, a coworker had it , and my friend's son had it. We are all drinking a Canadian made nutraceutical called Youth Juice. It has vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. My sister saw it clear up in about two weeks. My daughter hasn't had any rough spots for two years and my coworker saw it clear up quickly. My friend's son had it really bad and he's seen a big improvement. To me it is a natural way for the body to heal itself. If you want to try it I can give you the information on how to buy it.

6
0 0

please let me know where to get it. My daughter has suffered from it severely since she was a baby. She has tried everything over the counter and prescriptions, which will usually work a short time, and than stop. Thanks Deb

135 55

My daughter had some eczema going on earlier this year. She was mostly breastfed, though on some solids at that time. After trying to eliminate dairy and wheat from my diet, I tried eliminating peanuts and her skin started clearing up! So, peanuts are her trigger. A lot of eczema can be related to a food allergy, so it might be good to check that angle also. Life is so much nicer when one can treat the cause, instead of just taking care of the symptoms. Good luck!

5
0 0

When we went dairy-free my youngest liked almond milk best. She was known for having a runny nose all the time. We bought rice milk accidentally one time instead of the almond milk & her runny nose cleared up within a day! The first time in her life she didn't have a runny nose! Turns out she has a severe peanut allergy.

0 0

put a humidifier in the room- it was a huge help!

4
0 0

depends what is causing the problems.

1 2

I have suffered from eczema for many many years and have had horrible hand eczema so bad I couldn't even tell you. My daughter started getting it on her legs and feet. I had tried everything possible from dermatologist prescriptions to apple cider vinegar and creams. Until we completely changed our body and hair care products about a year ago and it's completely gone from both of us. The only time we have little flair ups is when we use commercial skin products at a friends house. Hand sanitizer with alcohol makes my hand eczema flair up pretty quickly and regular sunblock does too.
Here are some of the all natural products we are now using. Most of them we discovered on the Skin Deep list of products on the Environmental Working Group. Www.ewg.org

All of these products are fragrance free
Hair care... tates all natural shampoo and conditioner
Hand soaps...Dr Bronners baby Castille liquid soap
Hand sanitizer...anything by CleanWell

When we have little flair ups we use either pure aloe Vera or an ointment called Neem

Good luck! Eczema is no fun and most Drs will tell you there is no cure, buts it's funny that just changing to all natural products and we don't have it anymore!
Lotion...pure coconut oil
Sunblock...loving naturals sunscreen or something similar

4
0 20

I'm hoping your hand recommendations work...

2 0

I have seen amazing results from using Arbonne ABC baby products...it works on adults, too! Their products are all pure, safe and beneficial and botanically based....Vegan, too! You can use the wash, lotion or oil or combination of all three. You can contact me if you would like to learn more...you can get their products in Canada, US, UK or Australia.

4
0 0

wow I read through more or less every response and its clear to see that eczema does not have a 'one cure for all'. My son developed eczema when he was a couple of months old, at 3 weeks old he fell seriously ill with septaceamia caused by a urine infection, the antibiotics he received completely zapped him of his good gut flora, I was unaware of this at the time, unfortunately many things were wrong including lack of help from professionals, suffice to say it was a chain of events that led to this situation, including let downs by midwifes, health visitor and GPs. Being a nurse myself, I was just confused by the experience as this was my first child too. Anyways, at 4 he had a severe allergic reaction which caused his whole face an throat to swell up, again no help from GP, I was told to give him antihistamine which I didnt have, so had to ice his face and get him to suck on ice. At 5 he developed asthma and hayfever, and we later discovered his allergy was to nuts, this was confirmed by allergy tests done, however I am sceptical of those too, as he was told he was allergic to cats and dogs, tree nuts and grasses, yet he can eat coconuts and almonds and has been around cats and dogs with no effect. I have to say the eczema wasnt hereditary. We had the prescription creams and steroids, and none of it helped, some creams made it worse. I immediately looked to alternative medicines and tried nearly everything out there . They were all able to make the eczema worse but not cure it.
We eventually took him toSouth India for Ayurvedic treatment, it was monsoon season so the humidity opened up his skin pores. He swam in the sea which was amazingly clear. The next day his eczema had completely disappeared!! If I hadnt seen it I would not have believed it. His eczema had been very severe, where he would scratch to the point of bleedin, his neck was the worse, as he had easy acess to it, his skin would crack thru all the layers of skin and weep continuously, this meant he also lost time at school. Now I use shea butter, by l'occitane and weleda products, all natural too. With the alternative meds I had to cut out wheat and dairy, it made no difference, he was on buffalo milk, goats milk, soya milk all organic and no change. What I think triggered off the eczema was the fact that after coming out of the hospital my health visitor pushed for my son to have his vaccinations at 8 weeks. This further affected his immune system, and I also discovered that at that time, 2001 a peanut oil was used in the manufacture of vaccinations, which would explain his allergies and the screwed immune system allowed for asthma and hayfever to develop too. We also need to realise dairy, wheat, soya, even eggs are not what they used to be, everything is messed around with to make it pest resistant, or the animal feeds are not what they used to be this all goes into our bodies, along with more and more vaccinations, antibacterial, etc etc we need to get back to basics and organic where we can afford it. I think everyones treatments work for them altho I would stay away from steroids unless the eczema is at a point that is unmanageable. Try everything you can search the internet for other advice, I used to use Aalgo which is powdered seaweed you put in the bath and soak for half hour and that would immediately close up the skin and start healing. Vitamins, probiotics all help, homeopathy and acupuncture helped too, more so with his hayfever and asthma, but it always comes down to money too, nothing unfortunately is cheap. But I feel his eczema has been more or less cured, its now a behavioural issue when hes upset, or worried etc he scratches. But I think there is a cure for everything you just have to find it. Good luck to everyone!!

3
0 0

hi geeta...my son have very bad eczema,tried evrythg...i am planning to take him to india..any suggestions/advice would be helpful

0 0

Hola Moms,

I have 2 children, a baby 2 months old and a lilttle baby girl 2 years old. My baby boy had eczema i tried everything that didn't work UNTIL I found this AWESOME NATURAL oils from doTERRA, The one I recommend the most is Clear Skin Topical Blend Roll-on it works perfect and it is so soft that is safe for baby's skin. I use Lavender too and it really works. I love oils because they are natural and do not have any side effects. All of us moms should absolutely look for natural ways to take care of our children. If you are interested in buying or learning more about the oils go to doterra-escessential-oils.com. Good luck girls!! Let me know if you have any questions :)

3
1 0

Go one step further....check out Melaleuca, the Wellness Company. Removing toxic chemicals from the home in cleaning supplies and laundry products makes a huge difference.

0 0

My husband had eczema on his chest and could not get rid of it. I used Renew Lotion by Melaleuca and within a week, it was gone!! I have since joined the company, and have tons of testimonies from people with eczema and a lot of them were their children, and this has cleared it up when nothing else worked. Have pictures to show the results.

3
1 0

Couldn't agree more!!!!! Just had a gal with eczema on her face from her foundation and skin care products. Switched to Melaleuca and is raving about the products!

0 0

What worked wonders for us was finding out it was an allergic reaction ... I found out my son was allergic to eggs and that was his reaction. I'm so glad I found out when his reactions were minor - he's had eggs, inadvertently, since and has a much bigger reaction. So I suggest that parents get their kids tested or try eliminating foods temporarily to see if that helps.

3
0 0

I was not aware until recently that it can be triggered from food allergies. My son is allergic to a lot of foods,( corn, all the berries, shrimp) just to name a few. Also, I thank God for the detergents and softner with no dye.

3
3 16

The best remedy is Renew Ingensive Skin Therapy. It is Clinically proven moisturizing lotion that Relieves and Prevents Severely Dry Skin, (Eczema) and provides immediate and long-lasting relief leaving skin softer and healthier feeling.

Also, it is so very important to remove the toxic chemcials from our homes such as our cleaning products and of course laundry products and even personal care products.

Our skin is our biggest organ and all these chemicals can actually be absorbed through our skin.

Happy to talk to anyone about this.
Shirley

3
1 0

I have been with Melaleuca, the Wellness Company for 15 years and have seen amazing results. Melaleuca is a replacement shopping system whereby one can order direct from the manufacturer. You can remove all the harmful chemicals out of your home and use safer, cost effective products. We have safe and effective laundry products, safe and effective cleaning products, also s&e bath and body , dental, s&e skin care and cosmetics. A whole division of vitality for life products....go to my website: www.sylviawill.tellmethestory.com . The user name and password is "story". click on the wellness presentation, click on either USA or Canada, go to option 2 and click on the "slides and videos" presentation. Then call me and I can talk further. Don't suffer any longer!!!!! So many people have had relief for so many things.....go to the product story site and read the testimonies. We have over 350 products and 50 of them are PATENTED!

3
1 0

I have been using Melaleuca products six 2006. I love the products I use including Renew lotion. I use the laundry line all the time and cleaning products. It was definitely worth the switch. I wish my husband would use Renew on his feet. Also love Melagel wouldn't be without it. Glad to see people on Circle of Moms using Melaleuca products.

93 5

At the risk of being called stupid, here goes.- If you cut out wheat what do you substitute it with. For instance if I tell the educare no bread, i need to r send something else in it's place?
For the cheeky ones. I do know how to avoid dairy lol.

3
1 0

Your not stupid!! For my family to heal our bodies we went on the Gut and Psychology syndrome way of eating by Dr. Natasha Campbell Mcbride which was grain free for a while but now we do eat some grain products such as rice, sorgham and quinoa products. Thankfully we live in a time where more and more people are seeing that their health issues are related or aggrivated by gluten so there are a lot more gluten free products out there to buy. Just remember that just because it's gluten free doesn't meen it's heathy! Start following some gluten free blogs or fb sights for more information. Good luck! :)

2 12

My daughter has severe eczema head-to-toe and the only things that help are 1. steroid creams (triamcinolone is what we are on now) 2. soaking in the tub every night for at least 20 minutes. Contrary to popular belief, WARM WATER IS FINE! I always used cool water and when her allergist said to use regular warm bath water I was surprised it worked! :) Nights when we don't have time to do a 20 minute soak + a bath we have her run around in her older brothers soaked t-shirt so she is still getting the constant moisture. 3. Free & Clear laundry detergent + a second rinse cycle. 4. Baby Cetaphil to wash her body and we only use it twice a week.

3
0 20

This is my experience too (along with eliminating foods she is allergic too). Warm water - soaking in tub, tapping her kinda dry and then slapping cream on her. Then I only have to use the steriod for the really bad breakout spots. I haven't solved the hands yet though; I can't seem to ever get on top of the skin breaking open on her hands. Her hands are getting worse as she ages.

1 21

I've found that eczema is usually caused by the chemicals in shampoos, body washes and washing powders. Chemicals like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Propylene Glycol, DEA, TEA and numerous others.
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is actually used in laboratory testing to cause skin irritations and rashes and yet are one of the main ingredients in the products that we use on our skin every day.
I've seen so many people change brands and their eczema has cleared up within a week.
Anyone that would like to know more, please pm me.

2
8 8

when shampoo's had that awful pro vitamin B5 in it, it was awful for me , i would scratch my head red raw, at the time nearly every hair care company was sticking it in their products and i spent months looking for an alternative, you must add that on to your list x

0 0

I agree with all who recommend Renew lotion from Melaleuca. It has does wonders for both my children's eczema as well as me and my husbands dry skin.All of their products are amazing. They offer a very easy, cost effective way to convert your home to a chemical, toxin free enviornment which is great for the family as a whole. They are the best products I have ever used and I will never use anything else. I have been a healthcare professional for over 20 years and recommend Melaleuca to all of my patients. If you want to know more e-mail me at spniezen@wedeliverwellness.com.

2
1 0

I'm so glad to see others on here using Melaleuca products.

4 16

Do not neglect having your childs thyroid checked especially if the eczema started at birth, like me. I have food sensitivity to corn but that presents as canker sores. B vitamins and essential fatty acids found in deep water fish are also helpful. Once my low thyroid was finally addressed my eczema disappeared.....

2
0 0

what did you do for low thyroid?

0 12

What you wear can also cause eczema, too.
I am 62 yrs. old & have suffered from it for years.
I went to an allergist & found out I was alleric to nickel...e.g. costume jewellery, watch bands, bra hooks, even the snaps on jeans
As long as I stay away from these items there, there is no eczema
Something to keep in mind

2
6 14

My sister's eczema was caused by nickel too! It's kind of a strange allergy, but once you know what it is, nicket is not too hard to avoid. (By the way, my mom used to sew little patches over the jean snaps so the nicket would not directly touch her skin.)

0 5

My son and daughter suffer from asthma, food allergies and eczema. My daughter has a rougher time with eczema, just recently, while in the Allergist's office, I read an article that suggested putting a handful of sea salt in their bath water everynight. So this will be our next venture...

2
1 0

please check out Melaleuca, the Wellness Company. Removing all the toxic chemicals from your home in household cleaners and laundry system makes a HUGE difference. Then Renew Intensive Skin Therapy has completely healed many, many eczemas!

22 1

From many years experience w/ Moms and their kids w/ food intolerances... eczema has cleared up almost 100% of the time when going through an elimination diet. Milk and wheat/gluten being the biggest culprits. You must eliminate it for at least 2 weeks before saying it doesn't work... journal the food and symptoms for one month... paying attention to other things besides the skin - attitude, digestion, nasal, etc. Then after one month go back and read the journal and you can just about nail what it is they are "allergic" to. Itchy skin sucks and they don't have to suffer!!! You are the only advocate for your child - plus your life will improve if your kiddo's does :) It's hard to do an elimination diet but it's worth it. FYI: there are blood tests available as well to determine intolerances but they can be cost prohibitive (about $200). Google elimination diet for more tips.

2
0 0

i agree with you Christine, my daughter had bad eczema and you can keep treating the eczema with creams or wash or by using sensitive clothes washes but you will continue to have flare ups . As a parent it is our responsibility to find out what is the culprit and really no one else knows better than the parents what exactly our child is eating ! Once we did the elimination thing we worked out that our daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs and intollerant to soy . She now drinks rice milk, has no pains in the belly and has a better nights sleep too and is less irritable! she is now 3 and a half and will tell people what she can and can't have and she can now relate having something she shouldn't have with how her belly feels and getting itchy . She is like a different child - try this it might just work for your child and lets face it eczema is awful to live with so anything is worth a try if you wan't to get relief for your child : )

2 4

Excema is a symptom not the illness,look at diet ,emotional and environmental factors[healng from a Eurpean Doctor of Natural medicine... not recognised in Aust.]. Zinc and castor ol nappy cream ,no parabens is soothing healing[zinc] and cheap.

2
0 6

Our family has severe dry skin and eczema. We are careful what we eat and we also use Virgin Coconut Oil on our skin at the end of our showers. The oil can be used for cooking as well, but I don't do too much with using it for cooking unless I'm grilling some chicken. The oil is great on my skin, I use my soap in the shower as normal and then I rub about a quarter size of it into my skin and run warm water over it afterwards to remove any excess. It leaves my skin soft all day :)

2
0 13

my son had very bad eczema due to food allergies. we took him to a dermatologist who gave us a great remedy. Most pharmacies (even Discem) sells the soap and cream. The soap is called SAFARI Soap. It is an anti bacterial soap and the then CREME CLASSIQUE, cream. If the eczema is bad wash with the cream aswell and short baths. The hot water in the bath makes it worse. You can ask your doctor for Advantan good cortisone ointment. Good luck !!!

2
0 5

Desitan diaper rash cream heals real fast . Unbelievably fast!!!

2 8

We use hazelwood for my son and it worked great! I recommend Hazelaid.com

1
2 2

My daughter and I both have eczema-prone skin and my primary treatment is figuring out the specific causes and triggers. Egg causes eczema breakouts in both of us. We avoid all sulphates in shampoos and body cleansers and only use hypo-allergenic laundry products. Moisturisers and sunscreens are also problematic. We use Alpha Keri Oil and Pawpaw ointment for moisturisers and Banana Boat toddler sunscreen.
All of that is enough to keep my daughter's skin symptom-free, but for persistent, uncontrollably itchy breakouts on me, I have mild and strong cortisone ointments. I try to keep them for occasional use.

1
0 2

My 5 year old son has been battling chronic eczema his entire life. We have been to both allergists and dermatologists, and still have not found a miracle cure. He is allergic to peanuts, tree pollen, cats, dogs and mold. Our daily routine: morning, steroid cream then aquaphor, bath at night, followed by another round of steroid cream and aquaphor, and zurtec before bed. This is sort of controlling the infection, but not stopping the itching, and as soon as we stop, it flares up again. It is so frustrating! We use free and clear laundry detergents, and kiss my face hand soap and hair wash. Cotton clothing too! I have celiac, (an auto immune gluten intolerance) and low thyroid, my son was tested and does not have either. However after reading some of your posts, I think we may revisit this, as a possible culprit. Thanks!

1
31 68

Did the allergist recommend an elimination diet? If not, you may want to find one that does. I read in webMD that allergy tests should no longer be relied exclusively to determine food allergies. The food challenge is much more accurate. Your son sounds like he is reacting to something, like my son was. We determined his food triggers, through an elimination diet and switched to soap nuts for laundry as they are allergy free and super sensitive for the skin. Good luck!

10 1

The best is to find out what's causing the eczema (most likely food allergies or sensitivities) Take your child to an allergist (not dermatologist) and get an allergy test, then try eliminating food from the diet. Milk and wheat are the two biggest culprits. To sooth my son's eczema while we were trying to figure it out, we used pure Emu oil. It is supposed to be the closest thing to human oil.

Anything with fragrance is bad. Another thing that really works is using a damp (wrung out as much as possible) footed cotton jammie, and put a dry one over the damp one. It keeps the skin moist for much longer than any lotion or oil out there. My son benefited from this treatment the most.

1
18 8

I've had eczema for many, many years myself (still expecting and fingers crossed, baby won't have eczema!) But speaking as someone who is highly sensitive to many different products, here is what I recommend:

Eliminate anything products that touch child's skin that has any fragrances in it, including fabric detergents, shampoos, bath soaps, handsoaps, bedsheets and clothing should be washed with detergents made for sensitive skin etc.

Parents should be aware of is that different people are sensitive to different kinds of products, so really read the labels very carefully. Even highly natural products could potentially contain something that your kid is allergic to, i.e. maybe your kid is allergic to sunflower oil and many products contain sunflower oil. I usually opt for products that are closer to 100% of one ingredient because then I have peace of mind of knowing what is in it.

To treat flare-ups:
I use Aveeno oatmeal or any drugstore equivalent directly in the shower - just rub it into a paste and apply directly to the skin. For a little more moisturizing, mix with 100% olive oil and then apply to the skin (and only if you know your child does not have any allergies to oatmeal or olives). You can do the olive oil/oatmeal treatment once a week, but apply oatmeal daily. There's no need to do an oatmeal bath, best to apply a thick paste to the skin.
Oatmeal has to be applied to the skin every day, until the skin appears to calm down, otherwise it doesn't really have an effect.

After treating with oatmeal, immediately follow up with 1% hydrocortisone (this is the mildest formula) and then moisturize. It's always best to moisturize after a bath, this is when the skin will take it the best.

For daily washing:
Skin cleanser - I use only Cetaphil (or any drugstore equivalent is OK) for skin cleansing.
For shampoos: most shampoos are usually a combination of different chemicals, and include sulfates. So, the only shampoo I trust is Alaffia's Shea butter shampoo (and you can get a huge bottle pump of this at Whole Foods).
Also: make sure the water temperature is not superhot, water should only be lukewarm because otherwise it will strip the skin of natural moisture.

For moisturizing:
For all over body, I use Eucerin Intensive Care, it is thick and good enough for day time.
For face, I prep with 100% Hyaluronic Acid. HA is actually something that the skin naturally produces to retain moisture so you can have no fear of any allergic reaction. I usually follow up with Cerave PM facial moisturizer if my skin is feeling really sensitive and then just a drop of Eucerin Intensive Care. I also use Clinique, although you may that use this on your young kids.

Diet:
I agree with Jana DeLuna... I personally try to keep a low-meat diet, only allow about 1 to 2 times per week. It's important to be heavy on vegetables, fruit and for carbs, brown rice or quinoa is best. As I teenager, I think I had the best skin and lesser flareups because I opted for vegetarian options most of the time.
Sometimes it may not be possible to eliminate dairy or gluten (these are in everything!) but if you can choose to eliminate one of these as well as decrease meat intake, it should be very helpful.

Scratching:
Clearly, it can be very bothersome for a child to have eczema and also difficult not to scratch. Keep fingernails short as much as possible.

1
4 56

My 9 year old daughter and I both have it, and it is tough at times. I give her burts bees hand salve, which takes away the dryness. I also use Natralia eczema and psoriasis cream, and it really helps!!!

1
13 6

Find out the root cause of what's causing the eczema. Bioresonance therapy is one means of effectively testing and treating childhood eczema. It is great to get feedback from others about short term relief, but you still need to treat the underlying cause.

1
8 6

Oats r the best thing, completely natural and cheap and unlike chemical based creams your babies skin won't become used to it and stop working. Just place like 1/2 cup oats in a stocking and wash them in the bath with it everyday. But have ezema also means they have sensative skin which means you will need to change to a natural wahing powder, 100% cotton sheets, pram linner and there cloths (depending on the material) will irritate there skin in particulaly those spots so i would say its most likely there cloths/washing powder but best thing to do is use these things in conjuction with NO dairy! :) My daughter had exema from birth and i did these things she is now 2 1/2 and she completely grew out of it by the time she was 1 1/2. :)

1
31 68

Oats are great, just be sure they are gluten free. Otherwise if your child is sensitive to gluten, it could aggravate the skin.

9 1

My 4 year old daughter has had eczema since she was about 1 years old. We go to a specialist for dermatology and when she has horrible flar ups we use a special cream that they gave us. But they also have recommend a special lotion that you can order off line. It is like works wonders. I can not remember the name of it now but when I get home today after work I will look and post the name. The doctors recommend no bubble baths, the kids can take a bath or shower every night and do not towel dry them either pat them dry or let them air dry but right after the bath you are to slather them in the lotion so that the skin soaks it up. You can also take and give them a bleach bath bc it is suppose to be like swimming in a pool w chlorine but call the doctor to ask what parts per amount of bleach to water ratio that you would use. The doctor also said to use All Free and Clear and no fabric softener on any of the child's clothing or bedding. They also said to have the child wear breathable clothing and nothing too tight that traps in sweat and moisture. I hope this all helps.

1
5 0

By rubbing on clortrimazole. It works for me since i was 16. Couldnt afford a small tube of prescription, so i found going to the 99cent store, their brand, totally helps. So i bought tubes and tubes. Best is to wash the area with water and vinegar (1part vinegar and 4parts water), pat dry, and spread on ointment. Always always moitsurize the area heavily (like aveeno, neutrogena,jason, etc) to prevent any intchies. And cutting out any food is not the case. My flare ups usually are caused by lack of moisture. Since i live in cali, im always wearing flipflops. So my foot with the eczema, Itches more often coz it drys out quick.

1
13 0

Renew has been tested against its strongest competitor to find out whether or not it is the absolute best. Tested by a world-renowned research facility in the most demanding of environments, the results exceeded all expectations. Renew outperformed, outlasted, and flat out beat Eucerin in a dry skin clinical study. It is strongly believed that Renew is the last dry skin therapy you’ll need - ideal for Eczema, Psoriasis, Rosecea and cold harsh climates. Melaleuca will guarantee the results. If after using Renew for 60 days you aren’t completely satisfied, simply return Renew to Melaleuca and they will be happy to credit your account. Email me at susan@wedeliverwellness.com if you need any assistance.