How do you treat an infant's cough?

Sometimes they're too young for traditional cough syrup. What are your tried and true remedies for baby coughing?

0 22

I put vick's vapor rub on my kids feet with socks before bed and they sleep well and seem less congested in the morning. My son, who is 3, asks for me to put it on his feet when he isn't feeling well. It sounds funny but it really works!

4
3 24

Yup!! Agree! It works wonders! Just careful how young your baby is, Vicks is quite irritating for their young skin :)

3 24

If the cough is chesty and there is phlegm present, infant massage on the chest and back works wonders. There are powerful techniques that you can do yourself to help breakdown any mucous that may be present, helping the cough move on and out! If you're keen, drop me an email at bookings@angelinfantmassagetraining.com.au I'm an instructor and may be able to assist :)

4
105 13

my twins both have flemy coughs my breast milk doesnt carry for them both im trying to feed them both as much as i can but my soneats so much i feel like wen he has to be topped up on formula im undoing the good i have just feed him the coughs are making them throw up the milk more than usual i need to remove the coughs as quickly as possible they have already had them for 2weeks

961 14

Warm chamomile tea. If they are at least 1 year, add honey to it or just give them a spoonful of honey. Keeping them warm and upright helps too.

3
961 14

I fogot the most obvious fix for all germies when I originally typed this. Mommies milk has all sorts of antibodies and extra nursing gives fluids and comfort when a sick little needs it most. I even pump out milk for my big girl when it's a whole family germ. She hates it, but she's never as sick or sick as long as her parents. :)

37 2

Vic's Vapor rub. IF your baby has sensitive skin, get the baby version and put it on their shirt. my two year old i give the adult strength on her shirt because of her sensitive skin. my oldest I put directly on her chest.
Also a warm bath with vapor bath. I used to fill the tub up around my oldest child's baby tub with it until she was old enough her skin wasn't so touchy.

3
3 0

I made my own natural rub. If you look at the ingredients on the baby vicks you will be surprised... I made one using pure organic beeswax, cocconut oil, and eucalytus, chamomille, and lavender essentials oils. He loved it and got better when I rubbed on his chest, feet, and back! :)

1
0 0

Can I have the recipe for the rub you made??

31 1

I tried vix rub on the bottom of my daughters feet and socks and it helps. OLD remedy.

1
0 12

I have to add, Vicks Vapour Rub, rubbed on the souls of the feet, then covered with socks, works wonders to ease coughing!

1
2 6

I place Bio vicks , (a natural vicks locally produced in the philippines) or just plain vicks vaporub on his feet then put socks on. it usually helps when he has cough or colds

1
0 0

pls help me.. my 8 mos old baby have cough with phlgm.. what is the appropriate med to give him? thanks

0
0 0

0 0

My son is 3 months old and coughing and has a running nose and got teary eye only on his left eye. It just started last fri. Is humidifier the only way that I can do for him?

0
1

for 6 months old what is the natural medicine could you advice?

0
0 11

I would recommend salt and water in humidifier and let it run overnight in your room. If you don't have a humidifier, you can mix water and salt and bring it to boil. This will humidify the entire house. Just make sure that it is not so close to your kids to avoid burn injuries. Steam from salt water is proven to be the safest way to loosen hard sticky phlegm. You may also tap your baby's back lightly just around the lung area. For older kids, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a teaspoon of honey is proven effective in my case. Goodluck and I hope this works for your kids :))

0
0 44

My Ped told me its ok to use plain musinex for coughs 1/4 tsp and i Add 1/4 tsp triaminac cough and cold with humidifier and vics on chest back and feet seems extreme but knocks it out

0
0 13

If the child is over a year old, you can give a spoonful of honey. For a dry cough in a child younger than one (or any age), a humidifier can help, especially at night.

0
8 29

My daughter never got sick until I put her in day care at a 1 1/2 I don't like to pump her full of antibiotics so I searched for home remedies and this is what I found to be the best for her cough. Honey. Dark Honey. If your child is over a year old give them a spoon full of honey a half hour before bed and they will sleep through the night. Also give it to them when they wake up and helps for about 4 hours. I swear by this.. My boyfriend and family thought I was nuts when I told them this but they now know it WORKS. It is better then pumping them full of antibiotics and it helps boost their immune system because it gives their immune system a chance to work.

0
9 14

Vick's Warm mist humidifier, Similasan or Little Remedies Honey Elixir, Vick's Vapor Bath wash, chamomile tea w/ a tsp of honey in it (only if child is over 1 years old.) Vick's Vapor rub on chest. All used together work wonders. The key is the humidifier. With a tsp of vapor steam, it runs all night & cough starts packing to move out after the 1st night. The honey & tea is something my mother used to give me. I still do it & now I also do it for my son when he's sick. Lay off the milk. Water, or juice. To replace milk, I give yogurt or cheese. Only for as long as the cough lasts. All these things (tips & remedies) are from my mother or just plain common sense.

0
1 20

I use a homepathic cough syrup for my son. It's all natural and it helps to give him comfort so he can sleep at night. Let's face it, sleep helps heal all wounds. I think it's called Children's Chestal and it is a honey based cough syrup to help coat the throat. A warm bath, some menthol bubble bath, and a little vicks on the chest. I guess there's only so much you can do for their cold. I try to love him up and keep him as comfortable as possible.

0
10 1

For my son I give him a warm bath using Johnson's nigh time bathwash and lotion, then I put a humidifier in his room. We also have cough syrup that I found for children 2 years and up, it's called Similasan (I just know I spelled that wrong!) and it's all natural. While he has a cough he gets limited milk, no milk products, plenty of massages and hugs :)

0
48 7

For babies over 12 months a mixture of equal parts honey and apple cider vinegar does wonders for a cough. For babies under 12 months breastmilk is the only thing I've given. And trying to keep their nose clear with saline drops can help too.

0
2 8

The good old fashion humidifier. Ive also placed a warm wash rag on their chest. Hope this helps

0
1 0

Kalamansi juice works for my son. Just squeeze 2pcs kalamansi in a cup or glass and leave it overnight in the table. Let your child drink it before breakfast.

17 15

Take less than a quarter teaspoon of honey and put it directly in the baby's mouth. Alternatively, you can also mix the honey in lukewarm water and feed it through a bottle.

-5
48 7

You should never give honey to an infant under 12 months. Honey can contain a toxin that causes a kind of botulism... ordinarily if it's present it is destroyed by stomach acid, but in infants under 12 months it can make them very sick.