How far into a pregnancy do women usually work?

Is there a particular month when most moms have stopped working?

2 3

I am a retired teacher who works as a substitute. Recently I've worked with women who worked until the day of delivery. It is a personal decision based on a number of circumstances. One must consider the health of the mother and child, job security, maternity leave, financial security and more.

4
0 29

I worked until day of delivery with all three of my pregnancies. It would certainly depend on what kind of work you do, but as a banker I was glad to work to help pass the time. And, I was motivated to have all my time off available after my baby was born.

2
0 0

Im finishing at 36 weeks, i am a very busy hairdresser and even at 25 weeks my back was getting sore by the end of the day. And im really looking forward to just enjoying and doing all the nesting i want to do. I have a 3 year old and will be nice to spend some extra time with her. Do what ever works for you and your body. Im going to make the most of it....if i make it that far lol!!!

1
12 18

I worked up until I was 36 weeks pregnant... I worked at Starbucks and being on my feet all day was really hard for me and my back and legs hurt.. so I worked as long as I could... I was only out of work for 2 weeks before my daughter came :)

1
1 21

I worked up to the day before my due date for both of my pregnancies.

1
0 0

I worked up to the date I delivered with both. I stand all day and was fine. I also played volleyball until 7 months along.

1
0 0

I was overdue and went to work till the 42nd week - the day before I had my C-section.

0
2 0

I worked until the day before my daughter was born and I was supposed to go into work on the day she was born (one week early).

0
11 5

IDK. With my last child it was 4 days before i had her.

0
39 0

i worked until the day before my due date. I ended being 10 days late

0
9 3

I have always had horribly complicated pregnancies so I plan to only work until I am 32 to 36 weeks. My first pregnancy I got preeclampsia and had to be hospitalized for 3 weeks prior to my son being born at 32weeks. My second pregnancy was with twins, so there was no way I could work very long as I had mild preeclampsia. This pregnancy, I plan to only work until 8 to 9 months because I work 60 hours a week running my own group home daycare. I think it depends on what a person can handle and how they feel.

0
0 0

My daughter worked the day she had her twins. She worked in the lab at the clinic. Dr. came down and asked her how she felt and she told him just a little heavy. Ha...Less than 24 hrs. later went into surgery for a C-section as one was breech. She went home 4 days later, everything fine, boys went with her. Work as long as you feel like it.

0
33 4

I usually stop between 36-38 weeks. I work in a pre-school so lots of getting up and down and physical activity involved!

0
0 20

i worked up until delivery with both of my boys.

0
1,315 8

I worked until a week before my due date. But my job mostly involves sitting in a comfy chair working on a computer, so it's not exactly strenuous.

0
1,890 18

I would have worked until I went into labor but my daughter was breech and I had a planned c-section. I worked and attended my college courses until 1 day before my c-section which was 5 days before she was actually due. I think when you leave work really depends on the health of the mother/ pregnancy and the type of job. I worked in daycare and was on my feet and crawling on the floor for 9 months. My co-worker had a more complicated pregnancy and left work at 7 months.

0
1 0

I don't think so. If you have the energy and your pregnancy is running smooth and the baby is healthy.. I believe you can still work if you want. I worked my whole 9 months of my pregnancy and even bled a few times, but they said everything was fine with my baby.. I was even a patient at CMFM for my child.. but the baby was growing like how a normal baby would grow, so they said i can still work if I chose to. I worked up all the way until my EDC, and my water didn't even break until 4 days after that... So, it all depends on the person and their pregnancy health.

0
0 0

I personally worked until the day before I had my son.. I had a regular doctor's appointment on Tuesday the 29th and afterwards had to go to work and tell them I couldnt work the next day.. I was 39 and a half weeks.

0
89 19

I worked as an NAC with my daughter and quit work 3 weeks before she was born because of erratic contractions and at one point thought my water had a slow leak. If I had known it was going to be another three weeks I would have held out longer!
With my son, he came early but I planned on working up until the day he was born, which I still did. I worked in a slow optical office and worked ( w/ docs OK ) while on modified bedrest, and then came back to work after only 4 weeks of mat leave, after a c-section.

0
2 3

I worked up until I was told to admit myself to the hospital. Prior to going to work on a Monday morning, I went to the doctor for a scheduled appointment to do the the last ultrasound to determine my son's size. After the ultrasound, my doctor examined me and told me that I was in labor and I was to immediately go to the hospital.

0
0 0

It truly depends on individual. Most important, it's u n yr baby. As for myself, I was happy to work till I deliver. I have six wonderful kids and I work, exercise and teach aerobics till I gave birth. Just follow yr body and you be ok. If not, you can always check with yr gynae. Cheers:)

0
7 12

It always depends on the health of the mother and baby and job being done. Some leave weeks before their due date. I worked until three days before I had my second.

0
15 0

There is no hard and fast rule, since every pregnancy is different. With my first son I went to 2 weeks before my due date. It depends on your job as well, if it is very physical requiring lots of heavy lifting you may not last as long as if you had a desk job. Now when I had my twins I was a stay at home mom and I would not have been able to work past my 4th month, the babies took everything out of me. I couldn't even walk, I had to use those electric carts at the store and my doctor didn't even want me driving in the last few months.

0
0 6

I worked up until it was time for me to have my emergency C- Section.

0
5 19

I went part time during my 8th month in all three pregnancies and then took off a week or so before due date. Lucky enough with all three pregnancies to stay off for 60+ days before returning to work. These days though moms seem to work as long as they can probably due to insurance rules, pay days, benefits, etc. barring any pregnancy complications.

0
138 0

Well, I took my pager and cell phone into LDR both times...I was 42 on the first and owned my own company with my hubby - he was too stressed he said...lol...I walked properties and was job supervisor. I think it depends on the job and your employer....and, of course, your health!

0
1 0

My first pregnancy I worked until the day I gave birth. My second pregnancy I worked up to the hour I gave birth. I work part time and did not get maternity leave, my vacation and personal time was all the compensation I would receive. In order for my husband and I to afford taking an extended leave I worked until they came out. Both of my children went past 40 weeks. I usually took anywhere from 4-6mos. off after they were born.

0
1 6

I worked as a mechanic, doing lighter duty work than before I was pregnant. I worked past my due date as my son was a week late. I took the two days off before I was to be induced, just to get some things prepared. I think my level of physical activity only helped me in my pregnancy and labor. I would assume most pregnant women plan to work until their due date.

0
2 0

Also depends on how strenuous and accomodating your job is. Worked until day before delivering first ( very easy pregnancy), and stopped about 1 wk before with a very difficult pregnancy (morning sickness for 7months) only because job was very accomodating ad still delivered 2wks early.

0
4 0

I agree it depends on how you feel. If you are active anyway just keep going. With both of mine I worked until I had them. I let my boss know I would work until I went into labor and not to be surprised when I called him and let him know. My 2nd one my water broke at work and he couldn't kick me out the door fast enough

0
8 23

I felt good enough with all three of my pregnancies to work up to each delivery date. Let your body tell you.

0
0 0

With my daughter I worked 1/2 days for 2 weeks before she was born. And I worked my wed shift. Had thur off and went into the hospital on fri. With my son I did full shifts until they put me on bed rest at 35 weeks. He was born 5 days later.(P.S. I'm a nurse so I walked alot!)

0
2 6

It depends on how well you feel and how active you are. I worked and played volleyball up until my delivery date with my first 3. My 4th I took a little time off before baby so that I could truly rest and get things ready.

0
3 7

It really depends on how you feel with your pregnancy, with my son I worked up till Sept. 8 and he was born on Sept 13th

0
2 0

I BELIEVE IT IS AN INDIVIDUAL DECISION. WHAT IS BEST FOR MOTHER AND BABY. IT DEPENDS ON PERSONAL HEALTH, TYPE OF JOB YOU HAVE, AND WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE..FOLLOW WHAT YOUR DOCTOR RECOMMENDS...PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU EAT AND KEEP A HEALTHY DEGREE OF ACTIVITY.

0 0

Most women don't quit work unti 7.5-8 months.

-1