How good are cloth diaper systems (cost effectiveness and quality)?

Many moms opt for using cloth diapers. What type of system is most cost effective with high quality?

0 12

I own a cloth diaper store (Cutie Tooties) so my opinion might be a little biased! =P We exclusively cloth diaper our daughter. There are a lot of different options out there ranging in price. Some are GREAT & some are not-so-great options. I suggest reading reviews and trying out one or two of different brands so you find what your favorites are. Personally, I love FuzziBunz Perfect Size diapers, Happy Heinys, and Rumparooz best ... but there are a lot of other great options out there. These are not our grandmother's cloth diapers. They are super easy to use and come in really cute prints.

4
3 1

Yay for Cutie Tooties! Now if you could just get AT&T to cooperate ;)

12 34

I use Flip Diapers by Cottonbabies. I love them. They are one size (has snaps to change size) They have great quality if washed properly (before first use and after) and to be stripped on occasion (detergent buildup) I have 18 inserts and 8 covers (all different colours) that last about week. I do use disposables at night because they do not hold 12 hours for a heavy wetter (unless you double the inserts which is very bulky!) They were actually very cost effective (compared to alot fo other cloth brands) and you only have to buy them once and they can be used for multiple children. They are alot more work with alot of laundry and you just buy a wetbag (waterproof, leakproof, traps in smell) which you put your dirty ones in your diaper bag. Or at home you just buy a pail with a lid and put a garbage bag in for you dirty ones. But it is all worth it and good for the enviroment too and your little ones skin. My son doesn't get rarley any diaper rashes (only if detergent buildup)

3
3 1

We use a Flip organic insert topped with a stay dry insert at night :-) We love our Flips! :-D

0 0

We use BumGenius. My 3 1/2 year old still wears them to bed, and my one-year old wears them all the time. I love them! We started using them to save money, but the other benefits: comfort for the baby, absence of chemicals, and reduced environmental impact have been huge bonuses. Yeah they don't hold as much. Yeah you have to lug around the dirty ones if you're out. So, use disposables for those occasions.

3
0 0

Love the GroVia hybrid range - gives the flexibility to switch to disposables when traveling and such...

2
3 22

i use plain chinese prefolds from babynaturele.com and good old gerber plastic covers. no complaints, no problems. super cheap. $200 bought all the diapers 48 (4x6x4), overnights 12 (4x8x4,) and sized covers through potty training my daughter. now my son uses them for free. they leak less than disposables and i haven't ever experienced diaper rash!

2
3 1

We have two kids in cloth and have cloth diapered both of them since birth. I can't imagine doing anything else! We have a few favorite systems that vary depending on the situation (home, out, night, nap...) If I were at a computer and not on my phone I'd write a lot more, but we love our cloth!!

2
4 20

I've been cloth diapering my Daughter since birth, I started with just prefolds and covers. They work well, but I've now moved on to Pockets. I have a few BumGenius which are nice. I also have some WAHM brands, I kind of prefer them as they are a bit trimmer. As for the cost effectiveness, I really don't need to buy anymore fluff, I have enough to go 3 days between washings, but I'm addicted to cute fluff. Also the washing only adds another load to my schedule. For traveling/ out and about, I make up some pockets to keep in the diaper bag and I have a wetbag that matches my diaper bag.

2
1 0

We use FuzziBunz Onesize. We have about 30 diapers and received many as gifts from our showers. They are great, we've had no issues and my daughter has been in them for a year now. They are easy to adjust the size as needed and have fit great for the past year!

2
11 20

I use Bum Genius AIO Organic Elementals, and also have a few Bum Genius Flip. Love them all. I had my diapers paid for in 4 months with what I was spending on disposables, so very cost effective! Also I am planning to sell them for between $10 and $18 a diaper when she is done.

1
48 7

I use One Size Fits Most pocket nappies. I think they're great and pocket nappies dry so fast. I think prefolds with covers are probably the cheapest option, apart from old school flat squares. But I don't think they're as absorbent, as comfortable, or as fast drying. you can buy cheap pocket nappies from www.alibaba.com. They come from china, and one lot that I have from there leak right thru the PUL if they get too wet(overnight), but others I have from there are fine. It is a cheap option, but probably supports child labour! :-S LOL

1
9 0

I've heard nothing but positive things about cloth diapers from the mothers I know who use them. With the new baby we plan to give them a try. You can find adorable diaper covers at chicagocrochetcreations.com

0
64 14

its expensive at first but when you think long term so worth it. I used Econobum they are priced great and they last a long time i used mine through two boys and i mean rough and tumble boys and i used or using them for potty training so they are great i also used bum genius i love them but a little pricey so i got Econobum to fill in till i could afford to buy a huge set of bum genius. I used both.
with the econobum its a prefold and i hated prefolds because im lazy i wanted one i just threw on but i love those and for potty training they can pull them down and I cut the pad to fit regular underwear to add zorb and use the shell for night time or outtings worht the price for them to last 4 years right.my son is turning 4 soon. so im sure they will last till my second is potty trained too

0
41 1

Cloth diapers are AWESOME! So much cheaper you end up saving at least $2,000 per child and that is deinately on the LOW side of the savings! It is around a $500 start up cost and then you are home free other than washing twice a week, but the expense for that is still WAY less than buying packages of diapers!!! it is super easy and nothing like it used to be. We had to do disposeables for a week this month because my son had impentigo (we didn't want his medication getting all in his cloth diapers) and my husband and I both could not wait to get back to using cloth. so easy, cheap and cute! The ones I use have fit my son since he was less than 1 month old, and will fit him til he's potty trained. they are truly "one size" diapers. it is incredible! (I use bum genius 4.0s and LOVE them! I have some flip one size diapers as well, but bum genius is by far my favorite)

I have writen a lot about my experiences using cloth diapers here:
http://hopefulfuture.blogspot.com/search/label/cloth%20diapers
Feel free to ask any questions, I would love to help you get started!

0
84 0

I used cloth diapers from the beginning, starting with a few months worth of service given to my by my Aunt and my Mom, and we loved using them. I did my daughter's diapers in Ivory Snow. When I stuck them in the wash, I put them into a FULL (wash and rinse) cycle of just water, then repeated it. After that I washed with Ivory snow and did two more FULL cycles with no detergent. We had rather hard water, but with this system, my daughter NEVER had a diaper rash and her diapers came out feeling softer than anything I've every washed. She wore cloth diapers until she was producing enough urine at night that even a doubled diaper and the rubber pants wouldn't hold the moisture.

Cost wise, I think it was pretty good considering that non-cloth diapers are expensive.

BTW, I stopped folding them into cute little squares and triangles after the first couple of months. I just had to re-fold them when I put them onto my baby anyway, so I figured there was no point. No one knew but me!

0
44 1

When I became a mom 18 years ago for the first time, I tried cloth diapers. You could not pay me to use them! I switched to disposables with the first baby. You have to scrape filth out of them and launder them and they can cause diaper rash. Disposables are easier. You take them off, toss them, and that's done. If you have more than one kid in diapers, you'll be glad of them. We have never had one case of diaper rash and no leaks or oozing of anything from the diaper and need no diaper covers.

-5
4 20

Cloth diaper that they have today are way different then the ones 18 years ago.