How many words is your 16 month old saying?

At 16 months, many toddlers are starting to say some words. How many words could your child say at 16 months?

7 2

My son is 19 months and is not saying any words. He was 3 months early so he should be 16 months. He understands just about everything we tell him and babbles like crazy. He does sign more and all done, he just started saying me when he wants something - not sure if he knows what he is saying though. He will be starting speech therapy next month.

2
0 46

Thank you so much for sharing. I appreciate hearing that not all of our little ones are on the same time table. Grace and peace to you, fellow parent!

0 247

There is so much disparity between children's vocabularies. I have three children and 4 grandchildren, and there is no one magic age for vocabulary. I have had and known kids with big vocabularies who were speaking sentences by the age of 12 months while othersdidn't speak more than a few words until they were much older. Relax, if you speak to your child clearly and concisely, have them around others who will, read to them, or provide some form of teaching mechanism, they will speak however much they are ready to when they are ready.

1
0 0

my baby started to talk at the age of 5 mos., she was able to speak 4 words.. even my doctor was amazed..and she's 14 mos. old and she can talk like mama, papa, dad, nanay, wawa (LOLA), kick, dirty, tv, cat, no, tita, tito, jesus, cockroach, etc..omment

206 12

At my daughters 15 month check up, she was up to about 60 words!! She's almost 18 months now and she is up to about 100 now... Shes constantly talking, and she even combines a lot of things as well and little sentences. So proud of her! She amazes me the stuff she says some times! She learns more and more everyday! :)

1
0 11

3-4 words

1
0 0

my 5 months old baby was able to speak 4 words exactly..

0 5

Caitlin can say heaps of words and sentence's to,
mum, dad, mumma, dadda, bri, brianna, poppa, grandad, shaun, aunty, uncle, who that, here we are, car, bus, cat, dog, fish, thank you, food, toast, bread, yumm yumm, cake, bed, bath, howard, water, go for walk, bj, wendy, there is so much more

How many words should at 16month old say??

1
2 14

At a well child check up the doctor asked if my sons were saying at least 8 words.

1,202 0

We have four kids. At 16 months one had a vocabulary of hundreds of words and spoke as well as a three year old. Another one of our kids only spoke three or four words at that age.

0
0 0

why is it that my baby was able to talk 4 words exactly at the age of 5 months?and now she never fails to amaze us..even her doctor.

0
1,510 49

Mama, daddy, hi, bye-bye, baby, car, kitty, doggie, dog, choo-choo, cookie, juice, moo, beep-beeb, who that?, whats that? why? no, mine/my, owie, boo-boo, blanket, play, toy, movie, scooby, fish, cheese...................she is speaking 50 words (I write them down for her doctor appointments)

0
1,510 49

I just don't want to write them all down!

13 8

My son says quiet a few words, but he also uses sign language for some other words he can't or won't say.

0
3 10

my 16 month old says mummy, daddy, jack, dog, slide, dummy, blanket, bob, crisps and bottle and tries to make noises for other words like if he wants his grumps he says G if he wants grandma its mamma.

0
2 14

At 16 months I am not sure we counted his words. By the time he was 18 months
we realized he talked way too good when the doctor asked if he could say at least 8 words.
We went home & started typing up the list of all 200 words he had been using.
YES! I said TWO HUNDRED! The doctor has always said Urban was highly intelligent.
He will be 5 in November. He is left handed, very much a right brainer, into learning anything he can.
He says some pretty funny, off the wall things still. He makes everyone stop & ponder.
He was learning about geometry on PBSKIDS.ORG at 2 & a half.
My favorite sentence when he was about 28 months old was, "Brother's crying is annoying. It's irritating & I'm getting frustrated!" I think he learned his vocabulary from 'Word Girl' on PBS. That's the only channel we ever used to watch....all day it played in the back ground.
But...it still takes him forever to get dressed in the morning, he had to wear green shirts & blue jeans with certain socks everyday & he takes his sweet time going to sleep every night. It's 1:08 am & he just turned off the light. Too busy looking at books!
His younger brother will be 3 in September & he just started talking back in Jan. when he started daycare. Urban would speak for him...'Brother wants this or that...' Levi never needed to talk until he got around other kids.

0
17 5

Probably around 20 but the one that I LOVE is that she calls her favorite stuffed rabbit Hop Hop. Too darn cute!

0
8 31

my 20month old says a few words, mamma,dadda,be for ben,car,pop

0
6 12

My daughter has a very wide vocabulary and speaks in full sentences! Ex. Can you please open this for me? She can sing the ABC's, Twinkle Little Star, Baby Bumble bee, skidamarinky dinky dink, Jesus loves me, Jesus loves the little children, the Veggie tales song, and a few others. She knows a few colors and can count to 10! She still gets her contexts mixed up...Where is him? but otherwise, I am scared about how well she speaks and what she says! It amazes me more and more every day what things she comes up with. She has a great imagination!!

0
51 13

My 2nd dtr is 16 months this week...at 12 months she had 20 words but no clue how many she has now as she is learning new words daily ...I do love that she has great manners and says "Peas" and "Tank ow" all the time :)

0
14 17

my son is almost 3 he is 3 in november says alot of words he can also say few words in german spanish and french not many but he getting there. he can count upto 20 in english and 10 in french and german but can get bit confused. his favourite word is no. he sings along too all his fave cartoons and humms along to doctor who very funny

0
0 25

At 16 months my daughter was a chatter box. At her 12 month check up our doctor said she had the vocubulary of a 3 year old.

She speaks in English, Spanish and Mandarin at 22 months, now. She can count to 30 in English forward and backwards. She can count to 15 in Spanish and 10 in Mandarin. She sings songs now, ABC's, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and about 20 other's from Yo Gabba Gabba. She mimicks conversations I have with client's on the phone. She has a very WIDE vocabulary at 22 months.

0
1 63

My son is almost 17 months old and he talks in sentences already. he says things like " i want to". " i dont know" "i need...." and so much more.

0
1 5

At 15 months my daughter says many words. Cat, mama, dada, baby, baba (bottle), yes, no, good job, ok, please, thank you, num num (food), SIP SIP (sippy cup), all done, yay, potty, brush, ouchie, socks, shoes, blankie, head, toes, knees, eyes, ear, mouth, nose, eye brow, octopus, eye lash...she knows some colors numbers and ABCs. I know there is more. She just doesn't stop talking.

0
1 63

My son is the same way he is always telling me new things and doing new things a well...

39 15

My son is 15 months old. Says mamma daddy dawg(dog)
Ank you ( thank you) eese ( please) cheese hi bye nigh nigh( nite nite) no .he says alot more that sound possibly like words but not quite clear enough.

0
39 15

Oh and uhoh . Loves that word

0 0

My boy is already 23mths, but he only know how to say 'ball,eat,wow, ta(guitar,his fav)' . He can understand what we are trying to tell him, but he just refuse to learn to speak out. Even now hv yet to hear him call me mama or daddy(papa), so sad! Is he just lazy to speak? But smetimes I heard him call out 'ma' n daddy, but when we ask him to say again, he refused n walk away.......:(

0
3 4

My 19 mnth old is also in the same situation... he is quiet but very active. That could be the reason for not concentrating on his talking. But I would not worry, I have a 4 yr old too who is a chatter box. We speak Indian language(Kannada) at home and English outside. My older one picked up both very easily. But my 19 mnth old undesrtands and says very few words like mama, papa, dada, ball, hot, doh(dog) .., so each kid is different :). But if they are atleast able to say few words now, eventually they will pick up easily.

30 0

0. My 3 yr old son was like this too. Said virtually nothing until after he hit 2. He talks a lot now though. His sisters were talking way earlier. I've heard girls are more verbal and in my case it's true. Just goes to show how different babies are!

0
14 18

My little one is 15 months and says thank you (tank ooo), please, Eli (her brother), uh-oh, hey ya!, hiya! (and yeah, those are two totally different sayings in her world), bye-bye, more (mo), and NAP! She's got all her bases covered. :D

0
2 4

My daughter is 18 months and she says: kitty, drink, snack, potty, popo, gee (pacifier: our family word), mama, balloon,ow, yummy, uh oh, no, teeth, ear, eye, shoe, potty. That's about it. :)

0
0 9

Jack says moma, dadda, get, eat, bye bye, no, uh uh (as in no and agenda his head, he got that from me) ouw (as in ouch), that's about all the clear words but he says thank you and get back in his own little way.

0
3 11

Mine just turned 17 months...he has lots of 'versions' of words that we understand, but as far as real words go: mama, dada, cat, yes, no, cow, elmo, car, cracker, bar, apple...that might be about it!

0
3 11

Oh yeah...forgot hello, hi, bye bye, eye, uh oh, and yum!