How much did you spend on your wedding?

The average cost of a wedding has reached $30,000 in the United States! How much did you spend on your wedding?

1 0

I spent about $2000 on my sons - used church cultural hall and kitchen- free
made table decor $200, friend djd free, Made the wedding cake $100 for 5 tiers
family set up tables and covered them - $40
bought food through my work at a discount, Costco, used paper goods - $1000 to serve 200 people
Entertainment - free Polynesian Dance show put on my Nieces and nephews.
No LIquor (Mormons) Other expenses were for the wedding gown, Photography $200 (got photos free because she lost half of them in the computer) this was supposedly a pro hired through a bridal show. videographer $300 - included 3 videos put together with music - discount because it was a friends son and $300 for bouquets, corsages, boutennieres and floral arrangement for head table. Wedding was lovely everyone had a great time. It can be done without a planner and with a lot of ingenuity. Result - No residual debt for anyone to pay

7
0 0

Omg this is amazing you did really good and stuck to a 2000 budget I want to start planning my wedding but I don't want to spend a lot I also don't want it to look like I didn't try.

0 9

$45.00 - We "eloped" to the law office :-) I was in graduate school at the time. I knew that I'd be graduating with about $250,000 in student loans. Also, I did not want my father paying for my wedding. He spent over $40,000 on my sisters wedding and I just thought that money could have been put to better use. I may be a bit too practical sometimes, but we don't regret our choice. It's special to us :-)

6
0 7

Practicality is a good trait to have! I was never one to dream about some big lavish wedding, especially after going to my cousins massive soiree. It was totally over the top and fun but nobody was feeling it when the bills really rolled in.

2 0

Around $3000 for a traditional church wedding. My mother made my dress, we went to a flower wholesaler for all the flowers....my mother also made the bouquets and coursages. A chef buddy of mine did the food that I bought. My dad is an Episcopal priest, so church was free. Old friend of the family performed the ceremony. Though he did not ask for a fee, we paid him $400, since he had to travel. My sister bought my pics as her wedding gift to us. Dad bought beer and wine at Costcos. Even a full blown wedding for 75 people can be done nicely without spending a fortune. $30,000 is stupid to spend on one day. We took the rest of what we had saved and bought a house...that we will pay off one day!

4
0 0

Were do you go for a flower wholesale?

7 1

40 bucks+rings=6 happy years and counting!

4
0 1

It doesn't have to cost a fortune to have a wedding. We had over 200 people at our wedding and we spent about $3700. It would have been a lot less $$ had I more time to plan! I Started planning May 2010 for October 10,2010 wedding (no I wasn't pregnant! LOL). Here is how it went:

Dress= $230 (alterations $40);Tuxedo rental for 5=$600;Cake=Free! (wedding gift from my aunt!);Local Veterans Hall for ceremony & reception= $1350 (used my county employee discount); Officiant=Free (My Godmother);Food =$450 (baked chicken, salad, rolls, my friend made rice pilaf & green beans);Flowers wholesale=$75 (we made my bouquet and floral arrangements for wedding party); Decorations=$150 (friends & co-workers decorated);D.J.=$200 (friend of a friend who did it as a favor);Photographer= $500 (childhood friend);Misc.= $120.
Since my bridal party was paying for their own dresses, I elected to let them choose the style of the dress as long as they ordered it from the same website I ordered my dress, so the colors would match (the website was really good and accurate with the measurements we sent them-(www.inweddingdress.com). If I would of had more $$ to spend would I have spent it? Sure!! However, I am very happy with our wedding day and I would not change a thing!!

3
19 10

we spent $5000au all up. That was celebrant, rings, dress, tuxedo's for the guys, flowers, cake, reception feast and 2 week honeymoon travelling around the south west of West Australia. People still talk about our wedding today 8 years after the event. It was a real family affair, we did all all the cooking (mum, sisters and uncle) my big sis and i did the cakes (choc and fruit) i decorated them myself. The ceremony was in local gardens and reception in my uncles backyard. Oh and my uncle also did the photography. All in all it was a brilliant day that is still remembered for the relaxed atmosphere and wonderfull food :-)

2
0 0

My dear husband gave me around 2000 dollars for our wedding with over 200 guests back in my homeland (Indonesia) and now (after having a toddler) we're planning to have a vow renewal ceremony and reception on our 5th anniversary in December 2014. I've been looking around and planning to have the ceremony on the top of The Stratosphere Tower (we live in Vegas so it's like only a 15 minute-drive away) and don't plan to spend more than 3000 for 40-60 guests. I have done my best for our wedding before (I designed my own wedding dress, shopped for the fabrics, beads, laces, veil, hairpieces, accessories, and all the knick knacks myself, and had it seamed for only 35 dollars, my shiny beady party/wedding high heeled sandals were only 35, I ordered 1 sheet chocolate cake for only 50, my mom hired her relatives from the village to cook endless food supply and to clean up before and during the wedding day for less than 100, my sister-in-law was our photographer so it was free, my wedding backdrop was only 50, the ceremony was held at a mosque which only charged me 50, the make up artist was my mom's friend who only charged me 35 for a very beautiful result, the officiant was only 75, the hand bouquet was made by my mom-in-law, the tiara was only 35, I didn't print any invite because my dad said he would just text everyone 2 days before the wedding and my mom called the rest a few hours before the reception, the reception itself was at my parents so I only gave them 50, the tarp and chairs were only 40, the food was only 1000 and my brothers donated some side dish and fruits, the affidavit from US Embassy only cost us 30, and my husband didn't invite anyone because he is American and nobody could fly to Asia for our wedding) so I'm going to do it again this time. I'll make our low budgeted 'American wedding' work at its best and give us the biggest bang for bucks.

0
872 0

$5000 - traditional church wedding, 200 guests, sit down dinner, dance with a subsidized bar.

0
15 16

$25. It was all it cost to have the mayor marry us. I just used a nice dress I had in my closet. We've been married 13 years now and have three beautiful children. We were broke & in collage at the time. Now he works for the state & I home school the children. We'll have our first teenager at the end of summer.

0
14 1

Hahaha< e did it in one day and i got the mayor of our town that was free and bought frozen lasagna for everyone lol hey all that matters is iam happy and its over spend the money on a va ca...lol

0
616 0

We didnt keep tabs but I l know we didnt spend over 1000 and for the honeymoon we spent about 1500 or so. For the wedding it was 500 to rent the church, we made the floral decorations and the table centerpeices. The place we had for the reception was free! My cousin works there and they have a huge area (3 rooms) with lots of tables and chairs for conferences and even had a fully equipped kitchen in it. We were very blessed and my family cooked all the food and my dress was a wedding gift so we didnt have to worry about too much. We had a small wedding at a beautiful stone church with huge columns in the front, I wouldnt change a thing about any of it expecially that it was cheap and didnt look it!

0
33 10

We spent $65,000.
My husband and I are high school sweethearts and had a long engagement because we both wanted to finish college, my hubby also went right to grad school after college @ night and worked during the day. We lived 2 blocks from each other so it made sense to wait so I wouldn't be sitting home alone @ night.
I am proud to say all of our hard work paid off because we got married, had a beautiful day and bought a house a month later.
We have since sold and bought a new house and have beautiful twin boys!
That was 11yrs ago and we don't regret a thing, we live in NY and everything is expensive here, especially once you mention the word wedding!

0
28 26

Our daughter is getting married on the 28th of this month (Aug)... we'll end up spending about $1000 in total.
She was able to find a $600 dress on sale for $99 at David's Bridal & it's the perfect dress for her outdoor wedding.
The very casual wedding will take place on my in-laws beautiful 3 acre backyard & we will have a "picnic" dinner afterward.
We are making all the food ourselves... Pulled Pork & Pulled Beef, Fried Chicken, Potato Salad, Tabbouleh,a Fresh Vegetable "bar"(with a large variety of veggies & dips), Fresh Watermelon (cut out into various sized stars with cookie cutters), various cookies (Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Nutella Cookies, Russian Wedding Cookies, Oatmeal Surprise Cookies (made with chocolate covered raisins) & Coconut Macaroon Kisses), a variety of individual size bags of chips & Frozen Otter Pops. Of course, there will also be a small cake for the bride & groom to cut & we will have a large sheet cake with whipped cream frosting to cut & give to the guests.
We are renting several large round tables & many many chairs from a local rental company, as well as, a bubble machine.
We bought decorative bamboo plants from Wal-Mart for each table. We also bought several small fish bowls from the Dollar Store in which we will be placing 3 fish in each also for each table. There will also be a Star-shaped Bowl filled with mixed nuts on each table.
My in-laws are providing the tablecloths for the tables & we will also be providing picnic blankets for those who want to sit on the grass "picnic style".
We will provide our own music, via a CD my husband is putting together.
We bought a Garden Arch for the ceremony, with which we will decorate with flowers & ivy & white twinkle lights.
We purchased all the family members (including the grooms family) matching clothing from JC Penneys... the boys will be wearing black, white & grey plaid shorts with purple polo shirts & grey & black Vans. The girls will be wearing summer dresses,each will be different but all will have purple on them. The groom & the fathers will be wearing black suits with purple ties. The bride, groom & father will change after the ceremony into more casual clothing.
We are very excited to be getting to the end of our wedding adventure in the next couple of weeks, but it's been quite fun to plan & prepare.
If I may give you some advice...
Take your time & try not to stress too much. It doesn't matter what kind of wedding you decide to have, whether it be uber formal or super casual, the ceremony is what counts... the bride & groom will end up MARRIED! :0)
Good luck!

Shauna Nilsson ~ Mum of 9
Layton, Utah

0
423 0

3,000 to 4,000..

Taking out a loan to pay for a party is bogus!

Spend what you have, or get everything donated if you don't..

People should not try to have a champagne wedding on a beer budget!

30,000 is a down payment on real estate, or at a cheap college 4 years fully paid, or a current year model car/van/truck..!

0
0 28

10.000

0
0 3

We spent about 300-500 dollars, found a dress for $60, bought some great flowers, about $150. We kind of eloped, had about 14 people attend, just the closest of friends and family. It was simple, we made up the bouquets the night before, and a friend cut us some huge wooden candles. Parents who couldn't be there paid for the food, though that only cost a few hundred. It was perfect.
I think that people spend too much on the wedding, the time, the money the everything. It needs to be more simple. If you want to spend 30,000 on something when your starting your life, buy a house or land. Then have the big anniversary bash at 30 or 50 years married... now there is something to celebrate! The whole deal is important, people learn much about each other- though the idea of spending that much on a wedding is just kinda gross.

0
3 0

My husband and I spent a total of $0 to get married. We borrowed the $54 to get the license as our something borrowed (she later told us not to pay her back, as a wedding present). We always say we can never get divorced because is costs so much more than getting married! I love the way we married and have never regretted not having a wedding. We have been together for almost 9 yrs now.

0
0 6

About $3500 for 500 people with a ceremony and reception. The bulk of it was $1500 for a photographer that I really wanted at the time. I bought my dress on sale at David's Bridal. The flowers were roses only-simple but elegant. I got creative and did the decorations with my mom and other family members-makes for good bonding time. The reception was short and simple (we weren't planning to stick around long anyway, if you know what I mean!). It was an after-dinner wedding, so we did not need to provide a meal, just cake, punch, coffee and a few finger foods. It was a baptist church, so we did not have alcohol. We decided if people wanted to drink, they could gather afterward at a bar while we went on to our honeymoon! I'm glad we kept it short and simple. Sometimes I even wish I'd spent less on that photographer!

0
0 11

My daughter recently got married. We did everything ourselves and had the reception in the backyard. It was beautiful and we did it for around $5000.

0
0 11

I spent only $1,000. We had so little money, help or time, but it was a charming wedding in a little B and B. Everyone loved it. My husband's grandfather was the minister who married us, I borrowed my best friend's wedding dress, and kept everything simple.

0
0 1

I think if you don't go into debt, who cares what you spent? I was 31 & dh was 33 so we expected to pay for it all ourselves. We both work for non-profits so we thought creatively. We had a church wedding and found a local, small florist who charged reasonable rates. We had the dinner & reception at a historic mansion. Buffet dinner (beef) was $12/person. Our custom cake for 250 was $250 bc the mansion got a discount. Amazing cake -- would've been about $750 if we ordered on our own. My dad & stepmom bought my dress at Davids Bridal on sale for $600. I had my veils custom made by someone on ebay. Found tiara on ebay too. The day of our wedding, my mom paid for everything other than my outfit, the dresses & tuxes. Paid for the church, pastor, reception, florist, our hair appts, dj, etc. We could bring our own alcohol to the mansion & my step brother owns a liquor store so we got a good deal. Oh we did pay for photographer on own too. It was the best of both worlds -- we didn't plan a day that would put us in debt & yet my mom would've paid more... Bc I didn't know she was going to do that, we didn't go overboard.

0
0 11

That much money seems outrageous for here in Ohio. My formal Catholic wedding/reception for 180 guests was about $7500. But I've seen some brides on that show "Say Yes To The Dress" pay that amount for just a wedding dress! Seems a bit much to me. My mom and I did a lot of stuff ourselves and that makes for wonderful memories.

0
0 23

We spent about $15,000 on our wedding 7 years ago. It is very easy for people on here to say that people just didn't feel like doing anything for themselves so they overspent. We already had a house and we saved up so we incurred no debt. We cut some corners to get to that $15,000, but our wedding was beautiful. Not everyone is related to a minister or has a baker in the family. If you know people who are able to do things for you, that is great. My sister-in-law did take the photographs at the wedding, which turned out very well. The bulk of the cost was the food. We had a small ceremony (only about 40 people) and a reception of about 125. The hall where the reception was held took care of the food, the alcohol and the cake. I made the centerpieces myself. I made the favors myself. My mom bought my dress, but I bought the tiara and veil. I don't think it matters what you spend on your wedding as long as you are happy with it. I have seen wonderful weddings from $100 to $75,000. I don't really agree with going into debt over it either, but if you have the money and you want to spend it on a wedding then who is anyone else to tell you not to?

0
6 7

My husband and I spent maybe $600. We got married in the Mayor's office and went to dinner with our close friends and family. Neither of us wanted a big fancy wedding and we got what we wanted. Small, fun, and family friendly since our daughter was 10 months old at the time.

0
0 22

Just under $10,000 in 1998 for a large, formal church wedding. Our budget for the wedding and honeymoon was $20,000. No debt added. I bought my dress at a consignment store for pennies on the dollar and had it altered. I made my headpiece. I used a lot of silk arrangements that I made for the reception, pew bows, etc. The remainder of the flowers came from Giant Food and were beautiful! I used a hobbyist baker for my cake, which cost far less than it would have even cost at a grocery store bakery -- and was much tastier! I used a one-person home-based catering company that a friend recommended for the reception and rehearsal dinner. No booze, as they were held in the church hall. My photographer was a national magazine photog with a side business and only charged $1200 for a beautiful album of several hundred pictures -- a friend of a friend, which is how I got him. The church was free, as we are members. The minister didn't want any payment, but we gave him a nice donation for his discretionary fund. The organist was a friend who gave us his services as a wedding gift. My sister is a professional violinist, and the two of them did a beautiful mini-concert of some of my favorites prior to the ceremony. The one item where I went anywhere near full price was the jewelry -- diamond band for me, size 13 heavy gold ring for him. We came in under $10,000 in the expensive D.C. market! We were able to have an amazing honeymoon in England and Ireland with the rest of our budget.

0
0 19

About 3,000 for catering and renting some houses to stay in. We went very low key, at a picnic shelter in a state park.

0
0 8

$25,000. We paid for half, all saved up durning the 10 months of planning and our parents helped with the other half. No debt was added and we are still married 8 years later. It was the perfect day and I do not regret spending the money one bit. Our children look at our pictures all the time and people still talk about it.

0
0 24

My wedding was less than $3000, but looked like it was $30,000. I designed all the dresses including my own and my grandmother which is a profecional seamstress made them. I have a friend of the family that has her own bake shop and gave me a great discont on my cake and 2 of my aunts work with flowers and my whole family is creative so it was a beautiful church wedding. We had 600 guests (standing room only) that was in 1993 (19 years ago) But the price of your wedding don't really matter, all that matters is that you are there sharing it with the one that you want to spend the rest of your life with. The one that God has made just for you.

0
0 8

I was a little surprised to see how much everyone spent. I had thought my wedding was quite modest. However, it seems to be the norm. We spent between $3,000 - $4,000. Nothing too fancy. I loved it!

0
0 16

$5000 for a VERY nice outdoor wedding and reception AND honeymoon. Told My Love all I really needed was him and the pastor there. We could have gotten by cheaper but he's got a large family and it upped our guest list quite a bit more than we wanted it to.

0
0 8

A wedding should be about the two people getting married. We got married on a little bridge over a stream at my daughters house in PA, by the pastor for her church. It was intimate and romantic, There were only 10 people in total present, We paid for the licence, 10 good steaks which we BBQ ed, and some wine. I found a dress at the goodwill store for $10 borrowed shoes off my daughter and made my grand daughter a little dress out of an unwanted curtain...My son-in-law bought me some white roses to carry as he said I had to have flowers..The whole wedding less cost than $150 ..IT was awesome and there was NO stress....
It wasn't that we couldn't afford more but we didn't want it.. It was about us in the sight of God taking our vows..

0
0 8

Now this is my kind of wedding. So many people today spend thousands of dollars, and sometimes are still making payments on it when they get divorced. I spent quite a bit less than $1000 on my daughter's wedding, and it was absoulutely beautiful. It can be done/

0 0

We spent about $200. We got married at the justice of the peace (in Germany that's how you ahve to do it before you can have a church wedding) and we were up all night the night before making the food for our "reception" at our house. Dress cost me about $50. Where my sisters live the average is atleast 30K. It's basically everyone trying to outdo the previous person who got married and it is ridiculous. My youngest sister got married 2 years ago and it was about 45K (she and his family paid for it). THey had a 4 course meal with chicken and steak on every plate and an open bar for the whole night. She "had" to have those chair cover things that add several thousand. She worked a lot of overtime previously to pay for it, but a lot of the people up there dont' even make in a year how much they spend on their weddings. Bankruptcy is pretty common.

0
0 1

30,000 dollars!!!!?? That figure must come from those not willing to do anything themselves! So sad tjat that amount of money goes into one day. That is a down payment on a house...$30,000 for a wedding...I'm horrified...beginning a new life with a pricetag such as that is not a norm....it's keeping up with the Joneses....and not what love is supposed to be about!!

0
0 0

In the middle of planning now. Got less than 2 more months left before we do it. I'm estimating we will be around $5000 or less when all is said and done. This is in Alaska with a high cost of living. My fiance works for a company that owns the hotel which will be our venue so it's pretty much free. Flowers will be wholesale. Internet invites, cheap as possible on everything since we are not really having anything "gifted". Potluck reception.

0
0 19

About $2000

0
0 7

$85.00. Yes, for the whole thing.
No cake, no reception, no honeymoon, as this was a second for both of us. Got pictures and a lovey ceremony under the gazebo. Went home afterwards and slept.

0
0 19

we spent about $6000 total, including honeymoon. 14 years later, people still talk about our wedding...we did have some things gifted to us...the flowers were done by a family friend who is a florist and the photog was a family friend so he did it at cost basically. but I felt strongly that the church ceremony was the most important thing to us and we just wanted to have a celebration afterwards. I wouldn't trade that day for anything.

0
0 12

We spent about $400 on rings, $50 on the license about $50-60 for the district justice, $100 for alteration and cleaning of his military dress uniform and my dress that I got 5 years ago was $15 (though I did have to have a few alterations to it due to being 4 months pregnant, luckily I have a friend that did it for me). All in all the wedding was great even though it took us a whole 5 1/2 years of being together and a year to get it done!

0
0 0

35k

0
15 13

I spend around $5000 for a backyard wedding in my home with a reception for about 75. It was great, just what I had always dreamed of. Everyone enjoyed themselves and we didn't have to worry about what time we needed to ended.

0