How much of the housework does you husband or partner do?

Having kids in the house adds a lot of housework, more laundry, more cooking, and more mess to clean. How do you and your partner split up the work?

27 2

I've been married for 6 years. I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old and my husband works full time as an EMT. He has always considered my being a stay at home mom as a a full time job minus the paycheck and helps me with the with a lot of the house work! He has set chores that he does...he does all the laundry (including the folding) and takes out the garbage...I have done maybe 5 loads of laundry in the last 6 years because he stays on top of that! He does most of the dishes, the vacuuming, keeps the car clean and helps with house cleaning on the weekends and changes diapers when he's home...I do all the other stuff like all the phone calls, paying the bills, the cooking, packing his work lunch, bathe our son, the organizing, dusting (because he hates dusting) and I make sure to be a good wifey and have baked goodies for him when he gets home from work (there are a lot more things but I'd be here forever naming them all! lol And whatever else needs to be done he'll help with on the weekends or when he gets home from work :)

4
0 0

Thank your husband for me lol...He is awesome for helping around the house! Most men I know think since their wife stays at home and they work that they don't have to do anything around the house or with the kids. It's sad because they would be doing everything by themselves if they were not married so they should be happy to help out!

0 0

My husband works and I've stayed home since our first was born (now 4.5), although I have a small side business that I work at home anywhere from 5 to 15 hours a week. We have two children, and he's always appreciated how much work it is to be the primary caretaker.. especially when our first was a round-the-clock high needs nurser. Whenever we had an infant he did almost all of the dishes and laundry (including cloth diapers), at least half of the cooking, and all of the yard work and house maintenance. Once we had a 2 year old and a newborn, I used to try my damndest to get the dishes done before he got home. He didn't want me even trying to carve out 20 minutes to get them done, so he found a free dishwasher that only fits in our basement, and he lugs the dirty dished down each night, and brings up the clean dishes and puts them away every morning! He even gets up with the kids in the AM and lets me sleep for an extra glorious hour until he has to get ready for work. Now that we don't have an infant anymore, and it's much easier for him to take my place, I've been able to get housework done like cleaning the floors and dusting, but that and some other chores just honestly didn't get done much when we had really little ones. I'd rather have happy kids than a spotless home. :) But we've always tag teamed our real cleaning each weekend. He rocks. Anyway, thanks for a question that let's me brag a bit, my husband's a true partner and best friend.

1
20 34

My husband does none of the housework. But he does plenty of the outside yardwork. He does all the maintainence for our home.

1
3 1

we don't officially sort the chores, we both just do what needs to be done. My hubby is quite resourceful. I'm certainly not saying our house is perfect or even clean by any means, though our kid's & their friends who are too busy playing never seem to care. I say it varies on who cares the household chore load but overall it's a close race

1
2 6

I've been married for 23 years...my husband has ALWAYS helped me with the laundry and the dishes and other housechores......even now that the kids grew up, we still split the housework!!!!

1
0 0

I work full time and my wife is a SAHM with a 6 year old girl in Kindergarten and a 2 year old girl at home. I do 80% of the housework. She gets offended when I sensitively bring up that topic of her doing more around the house. She's lazy and it sucks.

0
0 0

We don't share the work. My husband goes to work and I do everything within the home apart from take the rubbish out on bin day.

0
14 0

My hubby work 12 to 15 hours a day sometimes even 6 days a week and I will soon be a stay at home mom I work part-time right now but i do most of the housework he does the garden and mowing the yard and pays the bills and when he comes home he does take our girls and spend time with them so i can have some me time or finish cleaning if i need. but when i am sick he will pitch in and help me with the house work and fixing dinner which our girls don't like him to cook because all he knows how to cook is eggs.

0
1

I have three kids, all three in secondary school who help around the house a bit, but my husband doesn't really do anything. We both work but he works later in the day so I do all the housework. Do you have any tips on how to cope?

0
44 57

none at all in thirteen years he has done the dishes 2 times never cleaned the bathroom or even picked up his own mess, or picked his own clothes and towel for a shower.

0
93 4

My hubby works everyday and my daughter is in school every other day threw the week. and i am at home all day everyday, so usually on the days my daughter is at school and hubby is at work i do all my cleaning,so the days my daughter is home I can spend the day with her instead of cleaning, becuase my husband works all day when he comes home i dont ask for help, and when he offers I tell him no thats ok.... I jsut dont think he should have to come home and clean after working all day so he can pay our bills. BUT.... on the weekends because he gets every weekend off... YES he has lots of work to do to make up for the week of work... yard work and such. the one thing he does do when he comes home from work is take the garbage out on garbage days...
I like for him to stay out of way when I'm cleaning anyways just becuase i feel like i get it done fast when he isnt helping.

0
0 24

I'm divorced so I don't get help but even before that happened my hubby was to lazy and preoccupied with his computers to even think about lifting a finger to help.

0
44 57

i feel your frustration.

0 8

My boyfriend and I both work, with seasonal jobs. During the winter time, I am an assessment worker for energy assistance, and he works every now and then, but stays home a lot and does whatever chores need to be done while I'm at work. Then, during the summer time, he is a contractor for a moving company and works almost every day while I stay home, or work a temporary job, and I am the one taking care of the household. He is not my daughters biological father, but we are a family and both take part in raising her. Everything moves pretty smoothly for the most part. The reason I clicked on this link is because I wanted to see if there was anything other couples do that might benefit us to take some stress off of our schedule at times when we are both working. Any tips?

0
4 0

My husband makes the money, I take care of the home. He used to always try and help around the house and although I appreciated his willingness to help I didn't feel right about it. I do everything with the exception of mowing the grass and burning the garbage.

0
0 0

My husband and I both work full time jobs and use Sunday as our major clean up day. I also have an extra day off (as I work four days a week) and use that day as a laundry day. We are also teaching our two year old to clean up after himself as well. Our son is learning to clean up his room before he goes to bed and put his dirty dishes in the sink when he is done with them.

0