How much money should I pay a babysitter?

When you are looking for a babysitter, you want to make sure you're not paying too much or too little. What is the going rate for a babysitter?

3 0

I'm so glad my sitters don't read this. I am a substitute teacher making minimum wage $7.25hour. I ONLY get a sitter if I have to work. If I had to pay 8,10 or $12/hour, I couldn't afford to work. I NEED to work to get health insurance....Sitters also have to realize, they are not paying tax on their wages...we are. So when they are getting $5-$6hour CASH, they are making well over minimum wage. More than a substitute who is tending to 15-25 children at a time.

39
10 2

You made the best argument on here. Most babysitters don't pay a dime on taxes. Teenagers don't get it yet. They need to realize 15 % of their future pay will go to taxes, they may never see again. Legally we are allowed to earn aprox 300 a yr tax free.

0 0

Anyone who desire "world class" care for their children for wages that are below even the minimum wage is ridiculous. Parents expectations are so high, but dole out compensation that is truly insulting. It is a fact that most childcare providers are grossly underpaid and it so sad to see so many parents complain about how high childcare is for their children. Just stay home and care for your own and then you will not have that concern.

30
0 3

Every parent desires and should expect "world class" care for their children -- there is not a child in the world who deserves anything less. The question is "how much should world class care cost?" Most parents will pay whatever they can afford to buy the best care for their kids -- for some they "dole out" what you might consider an insulting wage but then the question is "compared to what"? In California the minimum wage is $8.00 per hour and for example, if you have a young teenage sitter for a couple of hours babysitting in the evening while you go out to a movie with your husband -- maybe that's OK. On the hand, a full time adult nanny/sitter generally gets $15.- $25. per hour here in California -- certainly not "doling out" an insulting wage - that's approximately $50K per year gross full time (a very respectable sum). So not sure where you are getting the "insulting wages" concept but where I live parents pay everything they have to buying the best childcare they can. And, if they could afford to "just stay home" and not work full time because they need to pay their mortgage -- they would.

12 13

They way I think of it is this: Your children are very precious and dear. Following that logic, the quality of care you provide for them will be the BEST you can AFFORD. Trying to find cheap babysitters, may lead to cheap services rendered. In my case, I asked my babysitter how much she would charged to watch my daughter. I did this after looking into her qualifications (i.e. experience, knowledge of CPR, activities performed w/child to engage them, references, etc.). We pay her $10-12/hour. I feel at peace knowing my daughter is well cared for and that in an emergency, my babysitter, will be able to transport her to a hospital and/or perform necessary first aid. I also make sure to provide my babysitter with thank you cards and gifts on special occasions to show our appreciation. She's a wonderful caregiver.

27
0 3

I do the same..:) I appreciate are care givers And always get them Holiday gifts

4 11

I have looked at 2 different websites and found that one of them starts at $10 to $15 per hour. I think that is WAY TOO MUCH! I don't even make that much and my kids are 7 and 9 (practically old enough to take care of themselves). We usually pay around $5 an hour and add a few dollars more for gas or if they tidied up. This is for a sitter on occasion if my husband and I want a few hours out on a Saturday night. We don't expect the sitter to drive them anywhere, cook, clean, bathe, or help with homework, etc. All we ask is that the sitter play with our kids and not sit on the computer or text all evening long. We had a fantastic sitter a few years back and we gave her passes for the local ski resort as an extra "thank you" for a job well done.

19
7 0

Frankly, I'm surprised that anybody would spend 4 hours of their time making sure your children are safely supervised, fed, entertained, etc. for only $5 per hour. Is there anybody willing to give up an entire Saturday evening for only $20? I pay my 16 year old babysitter $10 per hour and she is worth every dime.

35 4

I paid 10$ per hour for an occasional evening sitter (19-years old) for my 2 kids. I thought this was a lot, (added to the expense of dinner and a movie not worth it!) but reading everyones posts this seems pretty reasonable. Since then I've made a deal with a neighbor, I do her hair cut &color, and she watches the kids a couple evenings a month. Much better.

17
4 7

being a hairstylist and doing trade work is the way to go ! that way everyone is happy :) and you really get to know someone when you are doing their hair so you know if you can really trust them.

16 26

I've been babysitting for almost 26 years and I get $2.25 and hour per child and they supply everything they need to drink and eat. Hours don't matter, neither do diapers. I'd love to make what these teens make. I'm in a small country town in Lynchburg, OH

13
10 2

You need to ask for a raise.

1 0

I'VE NEVER CHARGED ANYONE MORE THAN WHAT I FELT( TALKINGTO THEM ) COULD AFFORD. IT'S BEEN MOSTLY YOUNG COUPLES ALL THESE 33 YRS. I NEVER WANTED TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM THE CHILDREN OR THEIR TABLE. I CHARGE 125. A CHILD AND FOR TWO 150. A WEEK. I STARTED OUT AT 40.00 A WEEK, BUT WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE MOM'S I WAS TO CHEAP,,,,,,THEY SORT OF TAKE CARE OF ME,,,,,,,KNOWING I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THEM OR THEIR CHILDREN. WHEN I TAKE ON A CHILD, I TAKE THEIR FAMILIES ALSO. I GO TO AT LEASE 4-5 PARTIES FOR THEM A YEAR. I TAKE CARE OF THEM WHEN THEIR SICK, AND WORRY ABOUT THEM WHEN THEIR NOT WITH ME. I LOVE HAVEING THEM AND WOULD NOT DUE ANY OTHER THING. FOR A SHORT TIME THEY ARE ''MY BABIES'' UNTIL THEY GO TO SCHOOL,,,,,,GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM.,,,,DENISE

11
0 13

Denise, you sound just like my daycare provider. We love our Janie, and she loves all of us! She cares deeply for each and every child in her care and charges the same way that you do. I am a single mom, working at Subway and she gets that making sandwiches for a living doesn't provide much so she gives me a great deal. Just because she is a great deal, does NOT mean that my childs care has been compromised in any way shape or form! As I am sure the little ones you are caring for do not have compromised care because you don't charge an arm and a leg. I think there are major differences between child care for working parents and child care for playing parents. The 2 times I have hired a baby sitter for evenings in the last 4 years I paid them over $20 for 3 hours. Not a bad wage, but I won't be able to do that everytime. And paying $10 to $15 per hour does not guarantee quality childcare and I am sorry, I am not going to pay a teen more than I make myself to watch my kid. Now if I added house keeping duties on top of it, you bet. But mine is play with my kid, keep him safe, have fun and if you make a mess clean it up. Denise, I hope you know what a difference you are making in the lives of these families. Do you deserve more? Yes! Are you worth more? Yes! But I am glad there are still people out there for the kids, not the paycheck. Keep on loving those babies. And seriously reading your post, I thought it was our Janie writing it and I know what a blessing she has been in our lives!

0 11

I can't believe the amounts some of you guys pay and maybe it's because of my location but I pay $2/per hr/per kid and I have 4 kids so i am paying $8 an hour so i can go make $12 an hour there is no possible way I could pay someone $40 an hour to watch all my kids!

11
3 69

What state are you in?

14 16

I'm interested in the qualifications of a sitter you could get for $5 an hour. Even the high school kids in my area charge $10 an hour (Middle school $8). I would never leave my child with a child though. I understand the dilemma. I am a single Mom and work in the child care field myself (meaning I don't make a lot either) but generally an adult babysitter in my area with experience charges $15 an hour. I also know a few friends who babysit in the Boston area for $17-$20 and hour. I also read once that if you find an amazing babysitter, you should actually pay her a dollar or two over the going rate.

8
61 33

I am a little offended that you would assume the qualifications of someone who would charge $5 an hour would be less. I am 35 years old, and I started my first job babysitting when i was 14. I later went o work with my husband on a farm and the owners had 2 young kids. They LOVED how well I interacted with them, and offered me a full time job babysitting them. I got paid $15-$18 a day, to be there, play, feed, and SOMETIMES take them to town for summer school. Which I got paid a little extra for. I LOVED my job and I stayed there for 8 years, 5-6 days a week during the summer, and every day during the winter after school and some weekends. That was 15 years ago. I would charge a bit more now but not much more. DON"T judge a book by it's cover. The parents of those 2 kids to this day would tell anyone how perfect I was with the kids.

6 3

I read a comment someone left from last year, saying, I’d like to know the qualifications of the people who charge only $5 and hour…. So here it goes… until recently I lived in Clarksville, Tennessee (near Ft Campbell Army Base) I lived in a great (newer) neighborhood, in a rather large beautiful home. I posted adds on craigslist for last minute and/or need a night out babysitting. I also included many pictures of my home and my children’s Rec room, so that people felt comfortable traveling to my home to interview me. More often I obtained new jobs thru word of mouth from others I had babysat for. Besides being a 33yr old mother of 4 (12,8,5,2) I also have first aid training from my 8 years in the Army. *I only charged $20 night for up to 8 hours (not that I’m that particular about time or being woke up at 2-3am) and $10 per additional child (sometimes less). Many of my clients were Military families; being prior service myself and married to a Soldier, I did not feel that these families (who desperately needed Mommy Daddy time) should have to go into the poor house to go out. The people who could afford more, paid me more; just to say thank you!
Outside of the friends that I use to swap babysitting with, I know that I will never find someone to watch my 4 children who is as affordable as me, while still providing quality care. Also I do not feel that my prices were lower because of where I grew up, I have lived all over the United States, more frequently in larger cities. I do not feel that we can judge at qualified child care provider based off them asking for “too little” money!!!

7
6 3

I looked up a chart for minimum wage (state by state) although some states are lower, and some higher, on average it would appear that minimum is around 7.25 an hour, after taxes that means that someone working on their feet and constantly running back and forth (i.e. a fast food employee) would only be bringing home a hair over $6 an hour! So by several peoples “strong” suggestions we all should be paying a teenager at least $10+ an hour under the table, to keep an eye on one or two children? God forbid someone (like me) has 4 children. On one hand you have non-stop flipping burgers in a yucky and hot environment for a take home of $6-8 an hour…. On the other hand…. Sitting with a couple kids, a little playing, and maybe a meal….. I would so choose to babysit! When did parents start demanding that their children get paid more than many grownups? In 1995-96 in Southern California at 15-16 I had a regular babysitting job for a neighbor of ours. A couple times a month I would watch their two children (one in diapers) for $20 a night (4-6 hours). Same timeframe, I saw an ad for a teenager to come to a woman’s home (in my neighborhood) to keep an eye on her 9 year old for a few hours after school three days a week. I got paid around $1.50-2.00 an hour to sit there, often either helping her daughter with her homework and/or doing mine. I even cleaned just to be nice! Since then minimum wage has only gone up $2.10, so I do not believe that slight increase demands paying $10-$15 an hour for one child! Many parents today either do not have the time (due to work and such) or just flat out choose not to take the time to instill a strong work ethic into their children; yet they demand top dollar for those same children to do a fairly easy job under the table. *a little advice for parents who are attempting to find a teenage sitter at a reasonable price, I would suggest putting feelers out at Church or in such organizations as PTA. Also ask around, talk to your friends!

32 3

I'm in Canada and I pay a teenage sitter $20 for 2 1/2 hours once/week.

When I worked midnights in a women's crisis shelter I got paid 18/hour and had to be awake and take care of the needs of up to 17 women and kids,handle crisis lines, do paperwork, cleaning, and security as a single staff. I ended up retiring, as any college student I interviewed to babysit from 10:30pm to 7:30am and all they had to do was sleep (my kids slept the entire time) wanted $10 - $15/ hour. That meant I'd be working for $3/hour ( less after taxes) with much more stress and responsibility.. I had offered to pay $50/night and was laughed at. Wonder what these same collage kids are going to expect to be paid to work in the real world. These were Early childhood education and social service worker sturdents.

7
1 0

i think it depends on the age of your children, and whether it is "daycare" or an evening out. If the babysitter has to worry about meals, then you should pay more. If we go out in the evening at around 7, then we feed/bathe our kids and they usually go to bed at 8, so there is very little work for the babysitter. If we are only out from 7-11, then our average payment to a babysitter is $25-30 for a 15 year old teenager. I add another 10 to that if there is supper involved. I don't know any teenagers that age who make much more than 8 dollars an hour.

7
5 20

We live in a small rural town and other moms let me know they all pay 5 to 7 per hour so I should also. I know this is not the norm in more populated areas, though!

7
12 30

I am a mom of 5 (ages 8 - 15) and I watch my friend's kids so she can work. I charge her $25/day/child, for an 8 hour work day plus travel time, that is a little over $2.50 per hour. Plus I feed them lunch and take them to the pool, etc. on my own dime. It depends on if you're talking about some part-time gig on the weekend so your hubby and you can have a date night, or if you need full time childcare so you can work. It also depends on if you use a live-in nanny, a part-time nanny service, day care center, in home private day care, or drop of your kids at a friend's house. Before we had a teenager old enough to babysit her siblings, we paid a sitter $ 8 - $10/hour for a teenager sitter we knew from church. She even babysat for 11 hours and overnight when I went into labor with my 3rd child! Now we pay our 15 yr old to babysit her 4 siblings and we pay $10/hour, but she has to cook and clean up and put them to bed. When I was babysitting "back in the day" we got paid like $1 - $1.50 per hour, max for 1 - 2 kids.

5
3 0

I usually pay $10 a hour but I also have 3 kids and the sitters have always seemed pleased, I have pretty low maintainence kids, my oldest is 9 then I have a 7 year old they play well together so the only one that requires a bit of effort is my 3 year old. I know that if I lived in a city I'd be expected to pay more, but from what I asked other people I seem to pay the going rate here

4
3 69

What state Are you in?

0 11

I woud never expect to pay a teenager that is watching my child the same as my daycare provider which has a cook following the food guide and all staff members being certified early childhood educators. Your 15/16 year old is not being ripped off by being paid $5/h because by all means if they can get out there and get a job uneducated for more than that by all means do so. Of course every good parent wants to be able to give their child the best care available. That said try and pay for the best care and still pay for all of the things your child needs ie, new clothes every 3-6 months for growing children and shoes ....really the list is endless that's life but there is no way that the average parent can pay for childcare above what they make in cash it doesn't finacially ballance at all. As mothers we all know how much work is involved in taking care of our kids but it is what it is. In addition when you are a child care provider say in a home daycare setting as an adult the tax right offs you have here in ontario can account for a good portion of your household items. You can't get something for nothing but don't expect gold from a person who gets paid in bronze

3
0 12

I wasn't going to comment until I read that a few people commented who pay their babysitters $5/hour. That is really ridiculous but if they've found someone who is responsible who will even consider that who am I to pass judgement? However if you are someone reading through these responses hoping to get an idea of what to start paying a babysitter, I wouldn't even suggest that to a decent responsible babysitter! I made that when I babysat more than 20 years ago!! I live in the suburbs of Philly and have 2 elementary age children, and everyone I know pays their babysitter between $10-12/hour depending on how many children, the responsibilities and the sitter's experience. I'm not talking about full time child care or daycare here- just babysitting. That is really what the question asked isn't it? How much you pay for long term daycare or in home nanny help is a whole different subject. In my opinion, you pay an occasional babysitter a decent hourly wage above minimum wage since they're only hired on a short term occasional basis and you want them to be available to you. I'd assume it will vary throughout the country, but unless you live in a very rural or low income area, I wouldn't suggest $5/hour. Ask your neighbors, friends and families what they pay to give you a better idea. Chances are $5/hour is not the going rate in most areas these days.

3
12 0

I've been watching 4 kids ages 2 months to 4yrs old for 10 hours a day and get paid $2 an hour. That's $20 /day for a 10 hour day. I don't live in a rural town, but I feel that times are hard and who wants to pay the babysitter $10/hr, I think that is ridiculous. You cannot pay the sitter more than you make an hour. I have had people take advantage of my good nature and ended up watching a few kids for free every now and then, but I won't do that anymore, because I don't like to be played for a sucker. My rates are already cheap enough. Basically the money I get goes towards an outing I do with the kids, we will go to Chucky Cheese or McDonalds or the public pool. We always do something fun. I figure the parents are too busy working and really don't get to spend that much time with them. It's pretty sad when you think about it. They're at the sitter's for 10 hours, go home, eat dinner, and go to bed.

3
34 33

'Market Rate' is impossible to determine on a forum as broad as this. It also can make a big difference if you're talking about home daycare or an occasional night out.
If I need a sitter for a few hours, I have been paying $10/hour for adult sitters for my 2 1/2 year old. In contrast, a coworker's regular daycare/babysitter just had a baby herself, so my coworker asked me to watch her 18 month old for a few days. She asked what I would charge and I asked what she's paying her regular sitter. $20 a day for approx 8-4. Since this is just 2 days that I'm taking her daughter I said that's fine. Even without considering regional differences, the situation can make quite a range of what is 'acceptable.'

3
1 0

$10-12/hour

3
4 24

Just because you are paying more for a babysitter doesn't mean they are a good sitter. Price shouldn't be used as a tag for quality. I would argue that a parent who thinks this is, trying to keep up with the Jone's.
I lived in Nebraska not long ago and I paid $3 hr for my sitter to watch 2 kids. She also had 6 or 7 other kids so that's like making $18-24 an hour! A parent in Nebraska making that much is not seen so often. Not to mention there are no taxes being paid on that, it's all in pocket. $37k-50k all under the table. I don't think that's unreasonable, for Nebraska anyway.
We have recently moved to AZ and daycare is more than double that! I guarantee you that whatever daycare we choose, will NOT even come close to meeting the care that my kids received in NE. My sitter in NE was awesome. Even though she only got paid $50k a yr when the average salary in NE is $34k.

2
17 28

I would never pay a teenager minimum wage for babysitting. An adult professional, however, is worth $10 - $15 per hour. They will be paying taxes on the wages. Teenagers who do babysitting for a few hours here and there, throughout a tax year, cannot file a grievance for being paid below minimum wage, because they are not paying taxes on any of it. An adult or teenager who is doing a fair amount of work, including cleaning up after the kids, and feeding them, should be paid more. An adult or teenager who watches movies and/or plays on his/her phone all night should not be paid that much.

2
973 44

My daycare charges $20/day if she has them over 4 hours and $12/day if she has them less than 4 hours. If we go out, we usually have MIL or BIL watch them, lately we've been giving them $20, they used to do it for free and sometimes still will. It's family and they usually need a little extra cash to get them through payday and we're not exactly loaded. When I've had the teenagers down the street watch them for the evening, usually 2-4 hours, we give them $20. I guess I don't really have an hourly rate and my kids are usually pretty easy.

2
12 18

I agree with everyone that says "it all depends" were you are and what you are actually paying for ("day" care or "evening babysitter")
I've been reading these type of boards for 5yrs now and the question of how much to pay the babysitter comes up about every 6 months it seems. (not necessarily here on circle of moms... just around the net) and I've noticed a trend. It's going up. 5 yrs ago "most" of the answers were $6-$10/hour.... now it looks like they are $10-$12/hour.

To the original poster, talk with other mom's in your area, talk with the people you are considering for babysitting and check with your wallet.
Personally, I pay $10/hr for daytime one-on-one care for my 4yr old, one day a week, everyweek. When he went to a "daycare" it ranged from $30/day to $40/day (lower rate when it was 5day/wk, higher when it was fewer). Evenings, I go to a class 2x/week, and pay my babysitter $30/week (I'm gone for 1.5 to 2 hrs I asked her how much she wanted) I also often give her $40 instead of the $30, just 'cause she is fantastic.

2
0 2

We have two children (5 and 2) both who go to bed by 8 pm. Our babysitter is/was the teacher of our oldest in Daycare and we pay her $7.50 an hour (all we can afford, but wish it could be more) on nights that my husband and I really need a break for a movie night or Dinner. Typical babysitting time with us is about 4 hours 6:30 to 10:30 and maybe once or twice a month. She will at times, straighten up or wash a few dishes as well. My children love her to pieces and we totally trust her. We also have ordered pizza in for her, prepaired her meals that she can eat in crock pot when she is ready and typically feed our children before she gets here. So all she does is hang out with them, play and then put them to bed which includes reading a story or two.

2
0 15

All I know is that where I live we have drop in daycare's ( for when you just need a few hours away) and when I take my kids (ages 7 and 10) I only pay $6.50 an hour. I have a 14 year old that babysits for us too and I try to get her instead of the drop in just cause Id rather her make some extra cash. The way I see it is if young teenagers want to make some cash than they should take what the can get (within reason). The most I ask of her is to just make an easy dinner for them (if its around that time when she babysits) and usually I have that set out. Sometimes I will pay her more if I have her late hours or my kids were a little out of hand.
If you are looking to hire a sitter that has training or you need her more than just to watch for a few hours, than you should obviously pay more and I think that $10 is good for 1 to 2 kids, depending on the responsibility of the sitter, the ages of the kids and how many, than the rate should increase.

2
12 0

The daycare by my house charges $7.50/hr per child. The rec center charges $40/day and offers this service during holiday times when the kids will be out of school and over the summer break. So, I think sitters should be paid $30/day. I think this is a fair price.

0 0

I had to have a babysitter for my 10 year old daughter last week. My daughter is very mature and self sufficient but just under age to stay alone. I had a 14 year old neighbor stay with her. She told me just whatever I wanted to give her. She was more like a playmate because they played Wii dance, board games and went to the neighborhood pool together. I gave her $35 for 6 hours. Did I under pay or does this sound exceptable for the situation? Anybody have any ideas for me for future use? Love to hear some feedback. Thanks

2
0 16

I don't think you over/under paid her. One, she is 14 and this gave her some experience. Two, she was basically paid to play...easy. According to this blog, I would be underpaying my babysitters. We only get them for an occasional night out and end up paying them more than we spend going out. We do have four children, almost 13, almost 11, 8 and 6. We always have dinner in the fridge for everyone and the pantry is they can have whatever they find to snack on. We have had a parent complain about paying their daughter too much for 10 hours of babysitting. So for that teenager (until she graduated from hs) we paid less. I live in a rural area in Sacramento county.

0 0

My teenage daughters make $5 an hour watching 2 children. That's $2.50 a child! They make them breakfast, lunch and snacks, so I am losing out on this deal with the groceries. We live in a rural area. They also keep them busy with activities and crafts.

2
23 11

If your looking for a teenage babysitter then the normal rate & what my girls charge is $5 an hour per kid... If your looking as in like childcare/daycare type babysitting then it just all depends I charge $25 a day and some say that is too low and then some say it is to high.. I also know people who think just cause someone is charging less $$ they are no good but not true all the time.. I have over 25yrs exp. plus have worked in public school systems and I have a husband whom makes good $$ so I don't have to charge alot but doesn't mean I'm horrible.. so it all depends on who you talk to on how much they charge

2
12 13

That is wonderful that you can afford to charge low rates to watch children. However in the majority of cases that is not the case. Most people that babysit or care for children need the money. Most often those that have experience and are capable in what they do demand more for their time than those that don't. So the you pay for what you get idea is a very valid one.

1 0

funny i should see this post today because i have been thinking about advertising myself! i am a granny with my own wheels and crb checked. I was thinking £20 per night if yr home by midnight. i dont need taxi fare home and i certainly dont need any supper leaving out. I promise i wont let mi mates in neither. dewsbury west yorkshire xx

2
1 1

HEHE are you willing to come to Australia to babysit for a few hours!!! But you are not allowed to text on your phone all night either , ok!!

44 22

I babysit in the Tn area and get paid $10/hr. I have experience,educational backgroun and other qualifications. Depends on the number of children you have and duties.
And for those saying it is ridiculous price to pay for babysitters and nannies as myself this is how we make a living just like you have your job. Everyone expects quality care and have outrageous demands and expectations from person taking care of their children but insult them by offering less than minimum wage.

2
9 16

Your child deserves the best so should pay for top quality childcare. I give the best childcare do I ask for at least $10 a hour. Which involves not just tending to their natural needs( being fed, bathing/ toiletry, kept safe) but also structure and play. Not just watching but involving yourself with play or activities. It will be fun if u make it fun. These kids are this worlds future so must show good examples. Children learn from what they see, hear, and do. I want these kids I watch to want to come back so put them first and give lots of love then we should and would get paid the best. If I could afford to do childcare for free I would.

2
2 3

It all depends on the area. In the DC area you wouldn't find anyone willing to babysit for less than $10-15 an hour and that includes teenagers. more rural or less populated areas you pay less

2
12 0

I live in a large city and get paid $2/hr.

8 21

We don't go out on dates unless a family member can watch the 3 girls (ages 3, 4, 6). I do licensed home day care and I charge $20 a day per child which includes snacks/meals. I don't charge for sick or holidays. I realize I could charge a lot more (I am a certified teacher with a masters) but I am trying to help a few friends and I am very choosy about the kids/families who come into my home! I am only open 2 days a week in the summer by choice. I had to go to a meeting once for work and I ended up paying the college student who babysat more than what I made to go to an hour long meeting considering my travel time. My 16 year old neighbor boy has come over a few times to watch the girls for 45 minutes to an hour (time inbetween me leaving and hubby coming home). I pay him $5-$10 for that. It is so hard to find a sitter when you are the sitter!! My biggest problem is finding someone to watch the girls when I have an appointment or when one of them has a an appt and I can't take all of them with me!! It is so hard to figure out in fact I am trying to do that for today!!!

2
3 18

Wow--our old licensed home day care woman charged $40/day. I thought that was very high.

22 0

I get $20 a day per kid, and the parents have to bring snacks.

2
13 4

In my area thats about what you pay as well, $20 a day or roughly $2 an hour. If I had to pay the rates these people were talking about I would never be able to afford a sitter, mind you I've used a sitter only a few times but my boyfriend has 2 daughters and pays $125/week and she takes them from 8pm over night and then to school and sometimes picks them up at 3:30. As is it takes up a good chunk of his income but she is wonderful, she feeds them, plays with them, takes them swimming, to movies, anywhere she goes they go, she has also made them their own room. I also have a neighbor that charges $2 an hour. Our min wage is roughly $8-$9 an hour and many people actually make that wage if they are to have an evening out and pay the sitter more than they make that sounds ridiculous to me. And by the way, all of these people I am mentionning that babysit are adults, women in their 40's and 50's just earning extra income. Another point, to mention is these people babysit in their own homes so its more convenient for them.

0 3

I pay $12 an hour for 2 toddlers. I feel that is fair- they are a lot of work ! We live on LI, NY.

1
0 0

I usually pay about 10 per hour during the time the kids (two boys ages 4 and 7) are awake and then drop to 5 during the times they are asleep and our babysitter is watching tv or on the computer. The price defintely goes up if my nieces are in the mix.

1
0 11

We pay $10 an hour in San Jose, CA. We have two sons who she keeps entertained with games or movies.

1
2 9

Wow there is a lot of bashing going on for this question. Here is the logical answer:

The best way to find out what is appropriate for your area for a babysitter is to ask around - what are other parents paying for sitters? I live in NJ, and the going rate is $15/hr for responsible, dependable childcare. We use college students, so I am not speaking about neighborhood teenagers. Yes, it's expensive, but I know my kids get babysitters that spend time with them doing fun activities, rather than just turn on the TV. When I had one child I paid $10, but that was several years ago. My husband and I don't go out much, because our sitter money is saved for the nights we work and need someone to pick up the kids. For me, it's a trade off I am willing to make because our sitters are happy to be working for us, they love the kids, and they appreciate the fact that we pay them a living wage.

1
0 0

Well I babysit for a family and get about $16 per hour. Then the other family I get a little more.
We live in Bergen County NJ

1