How much money should I spend on kid's birthday party?

You want to celebrate your child's birthday and make her feel special, but you also don't want to overspend. What is the right amount of money to spend on a birthday party at different ages?

2 0

I think it depends on how much money you have. If you have enough money, and you want to splurge, I don't think it's unreasonable to spend $300-$500 on a party. However, if financially things are tight, I don't think anyone should feel pressure that $$$ = fun. Kids love just running around with one another. If money's an issue, invite a few kids over, bake a great cake, and let them play games--they'll have a blast.

19
1 2

Everyone keeps saying "it depends on what you can afford". That is true in the aspect that we should not spend MORE that we can afford, but I'm not sure that just because we can afford $500 (or more) is any reason to spend that. I think we have to ask ourselves what lesson we want our child to take away from the experience. Kids today have no scense of money and what it takes to earn it or how to budget it. In an age of debit and credit cards they do not get the concept of "real hard cash" and the value of a dollar.
This idea of I want my kids to have the things I didn't have is unrealistic. Our parents didn't love us any less because they didn't throw us $500 partys and invite the whole town to them.
Teach your children that you love them with a hug and a kiss and a smile and tell them they are special every chance you get, and stop trying to buy their love.

16
0 8

I totally agree with everything you said! Couldn't of said it better!

1 17

You can make a great home party on a shoestring budget and some "elbow grease." I start planning my kids' parties several months in advance by settling on a theme. Then keep your eyes open at the Dollar Store or on clearance racks for items that will fit you theme. For example, one year I planned for an indoor beach party (January!) for my son's 3rd birthday. At the end of season clearance, I spied big sand pails with shovels for 50 cents each! That was the goody bag! I also start early making decorations. The Dollar Store also has really cheap decorations. You can make your own invitations, handmade or print off some free ones at InvitationLand.com (That's where I found a beach themed one....) Surf the internet for game ideas on sites like Disney's Family Fun or BirthdayPartyIdeas.com. You can take any traditional game and tweak it to your theme. And my kids really do like pin the tail on the _____ ( whatever the theme). DLTK.com has homemade, themed bingo cards to print. Actual cost for some of my parties is under $100 if I make my own cake. I cannot fathom spending $300-$400 for parties!

16
0 13

I like your birthday party ideas! When my son turned six (10 years ago), we did a race car theme. I have a horseshoe cake pan which I used as a race track when the cake was cut in half & placed small Matchbox race cars on top. Race car pinata, invitations, etc. Food was grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad. 4 to 5 kids total with 2 adults = lots of fun & laughter by all. Hope you have many more wonderful birthday parties to come!

0 13

It depends what you can afford! I do believe that you should keep the cost down as they do not remember the cost just the time they have with their friends and family...

10
5 0

I totally agree with you (:

11 39

Oh this one is fun and educational too. First of course YOU have to set your budget based on YOUR finances. We usually do $150 for the whole thing because my kids are younger, our budget is tight and I am trifty so I create alot of things myself. Then you let your child help plan the party. Here's the catch. The $150 is for the party AND the gifts. This way your child can decide what is most important to them. My daughter who is 8 would rather spend the whole amount on the party knowing she will get gifts from her friends. (I don't know if she has figured out that She usually gets a special surprise gift from us anyway yet. so set your limit a little low) My son on the other hand likes expensive gifts and would rather just go camping with family and one or two friends for his party. This has been the most fun way to teach our kids to budget money at a young age because the fun of the party and gifts takes away from the dredgery of finances. It's more special too because they get exactly the party they want. You don't find yourself worked up into a tizzy for the kid that just wants to chill on their birthday but the one who loves the party gets the excitement of planning it with you.

7
0 0

never thought of inviting them in on the budget of the party. This is a great idea! My daughter's 9th Bday is just around the corner, I think I will be taking your advice on this one! Thanks!

51 17

hun I took my 5 y/0 to the dollar store and we got a pinata, stuff to put in it and went to the waterpark. We hand delivered the invitations door to door and at her daycare. She loves the experience. More people showed up than we actually invited and she was raving for days how it was the best birthday ever. If you don't have much money, try focusing on the experience, and make it as whole as you can. Make it special. I have the feeling if I spent a bunch of money on a pool party, or a climbing room etc it wouldn't have been as special as having as many friends as could show.

5
0 5

do what feels right. when my son was younger we spent about $500 per party.last year for his 7th birthday we spent about $1500. He's our only one and have been in the position to do that but this year things are tighter so were planning about $800. My opinion is it doesn't matter the cost as long as the child has fun. We have been to home parties that were just as fun as expensive ones. Do what's in ur heart.

5
26 10

I have 2 kids who have been invited to every party for kids from there classes and I have done whole class parties for them as well as just doing the boys for my youngest son, and I personally think it depends on how old your child is. I think it is ridiculous to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a kids party, and thats not becaue I dont have much money. I have plenty of money, but I feel like for a younger child there is no need to spend a whole lot of money. My 7 year old son was invited to his friends 5th party last year and she had 52 kids at her party and her parents rented out a cinema for a special showing of Alpha and Omega the weekend before it was released then rented out a room to serve food and have the cake, plus party bags. Whne it was all over I was talking to her mother and she said it cost her as much for that party as it did for her family of 4 to go on a 2 week cruise around the mediterranian. I think that is absurd. The most I have spent on my kids party including food cakes and party bags, which I think are stupid and a huge waste of money, is about 200 and I still think its to much. There kids find them a place to run and have some fun and that should be enough

5
1 0

We have done pretty much it all. Bounce parties that are $300-$400 to home parties where I spent less than $100. It depends on our budget at the time. I agree that you can make it fun on very little money. Find games your kids enjoy (musical chairs, freeze dance, even pin the tail on something), make your own cake, and really think about gift bags. I do not do those party bags anymore. It really adds up when you buy bags, 3 toys and candy for each. I look around in the toy section or the dollar section for things I think they will like and isn't "junky". What's the latest thing? Silly bands, skip hop, etc. Our last party was at Build A Bear and it was so versital, we spent less than $150 for 10 girls and included a favor-the bear! You can really taylor it to your needs with no work on your part. My kids don't seem to differentiate between the expensive parties and the home ones either. They love the home ones, they are just more work for me.

4
0 10

Anything you can afford & in your budget, always plan a head.

3
11 0

All those party ideas sound wonderful! I used to live in a small 1 bdrm apt with which was too small for a party. For my daughter's 5th birthday party (in the fall), we invited her friends and their parents to join us for a Saturday afternoon picnic party at our favorite park (which has a massive play structure, lots of picnic tables, and public restrooms). I brought a case of bottled water, cut veggies and fruits, cheese cubes and crackers, and tortilla chips and salsa (in my Tupperware). For a birthday cake, we decided on cupcakes (less mess and leftovers, no fighting over who gets what piece) with a candle in my daughter's. I bought bags of balloons and sidewalk chalk from the dollar store. Her Bday is close to Halloween, so together we made up 'goodie bags' filled with Halloween pencils and erasers, stickers, plastic rings and eyeball lolipops. I think the total cost of the party was about $50, and EVERYONE stayed the entire afternoon and had a total blast! We parents took 'shifts' walking the play structure and watching the kids, and the rest of us were chatting, laughing, and enjoying watching our kids run around, get dirty, and laugh till they fell over. By 5pm, the party was still going strong and the kids were still playing, and everyone ended up chipping in for pizza and we called in an order and a couple of people volunteered to pick it up. Another parent suggested coffee and took orders for a coffee run. And so it became a picnic dinner in the park, everyone eating pizza, parents sipping coffee and the kids still going strong. The party broke up at sundown with everyone cleaning up and carrying happy but exhausted children to their cars. We had so much fun it's become a tradition now - picnic parties in a local park.

17 24

The simple answer is how much can you afford. I have had amazing parties at my house for my daughter & son. I find kids like the simple parties more than the big elaborate ones. They really just want to play with their friend, eat cake and watch the birthday girl/boy open the present they brought.

We stick to simple games like hot potato (pass the parcel), musical cushions/chairs, freeze dance and the winners get things from the dollar store. They are excited to win something! I wouldn't worry about kids comparing parties to their friends.

I think all parties have their memorable moments. I prefer to create our with more old fashioned fun rather than expense. Sure it is more work for me but I usually ask a couple of friends who would be at the party anyway to take responsibility for certain parts of the party to help me out. Of course my husband is always right in there doing face painting and being DJ for the games. We have also made our own pinata which takes a little more time and planning but that can be made weeks in advance of the event.

This has never happened in our house but I assume if a child was ungrateful because the party wasn't more elaborate or the loot bag not 'good' enough then that child would certainly not be invited again:)

3
0 46

It doesn't matter, my husband always thinks I spend too much. This year I spent $175 and he was furious. I spend just what I need. Cake mix and frosting, decorations, dollar store paper goods, food (we made our own pizza's) beverages (we used powdered drink mix), games and prizes. The theme was Pinkeralla and my daughter loved it.

My husband thinks that $50.00 is reasonable, Unfortunately that is just not realistic with 11 children in attendance to a party.

3
0 11

Next time let him though da party so he can see hw hard it is. I think u did good!!!

1 0

I usually spend around $200-$250 for around 10 girls. This year I just did an a fun party for my 8 year old making tie dye t-shirts, a pool party with pizza and then gave the girls Peace Sign TagTailz to go on the shirts they made. Then the next day they all wore the matching shirts and TagTailz to school. It was cute and not too expensive! And they had a great time. It doesn't matter about the amount of money but the memories you create.

2
4 41

My daughter never has had huge parties, The last two ones we did we at the bowling alley and for 10 kids under age 10 it is only 40 dollars. This year I'm not going to buy a cake since she doesn't seem to eat it anyway. I am going to just make cupcakes at home this time. I am thinking about doing a pool party this year and I can do that for 40 dollars as well. I also do not invite the whole class, I only invite the kids she really hangs out with which is not all a lot. I beleive the last to birthdays she has had 5 to 8 kids come out of 12 that were invited. I don't have family really to speak of so I don't have to spend a lot. I spent more on finding wiggles party things than I did on the party lol.

2
25 3

Wow I'm moving to America from rip of Britain! It cost £9 for each child just to pay one game of bowling here and around £7 for a kids pizza meal with juice and small ice cream, and thats before the birthday invitations, cake, party bags and prizes. So It's around £25 ($32 approx) per child without the more expensive party package that the bowling places do.

439 0

Spend what ever you want.. but keep in mind that a child under 2 doesn't need much to have fun, and they get burned out within a few hrs..

And decided who the party is really for.

Some folks spend a lot on a party for kids because of the amount of adults that will be attending..

If it's mostly kids, in a kids setting, limit your budget..Cake, food, gifts, venue, party favors, few hrs...

If it's mostly adults...some people add beer and bar b que and DJ and a bunch of other stuff, all depends..

1
0 0

I don't think you have to spend a fortune on birthday parties. I have always done home parties and my kids just love them. We usually start about 6 months before their birthday and the kids help plan their party. For my daughter's 5th birthday, we went to a park and had a carnival birthday. I found ideas online about carnival games and we had most of the stuff for them (we did bowling, throw balls into a bucket, frisbee toss, free throw for basketball, pin the tail on the unicorn, and a ring toss) and then I just got prizes for cheap. I found a ton in the Michaels dollar section and had 50% off coupons. It was great. If you plan ahead it won't cost you very much. For my son's birthday (it is in the winter) we had a drive in movie. I found free boxes from people and the kids made cars using markers and construction paper. They just loved it! We then played games and they earned fake money to buy items at the concessions. We had popcorn and candy for them to buy. I made a volcano cake for super cheap and then the kids watched How to Train your Dragon. My son thought it was the greatest. I spend near to nothing for both those parties!

1
14 1

I feel you are more worried what the other parents will say and not about making memories for your child. Ice cream balloons and little goody bags is all it takes. Kids don't care about the money just the cake, ice cream and fun

1
15 20

My daughter is about to turn 7. Every year we have had a home party outdoors, we bought a bubble machine, made a slip and slide, we have a trampoline we BBQ, and turn on sprinkler.
Took the baby pool filled it up with ice and put all the kids drinks in it. Parents were invited to stay and it had no real end. We just all hung out while the kids went crazy.
Last year was the first time we had her bday at her gymnastics training center just because she lives there and wanted to try having it there.
This year even though we have a trampoline we r renting a bounce house.
Ordering a bunch of pizzas, sprinkler, slip and slide I am only making it about 3 hrs.
The catch is she wants to ask people to bring donations for the troops instead of gifts for her.
I'm super proud of her for that.
My oldest wants to do the same thing, and we r splurging on her bday.
Putting on a dance, with dj. She is older, and wants to get as many donations as she can.
:)
You could make popcorn bag invites and make it a movie night party.
Kids come in pjs with pillow and blanket, make popcorn have candy and order pizza.
U are not spending anything and kids will have a great time.
:)

1
0 37

just prioritized what the celebrants wants and what the kids (visitors) enjoyed most not what the chaperon wants or elders wants. Just like how I celebrate to my 5 yr old youngest daughter. She only wished to have a mascot and a cake with a Ariel a mermaid and a dozen of balloons and games .For the party favor i spent only P1,500 that includes the mascot,balloons,games,bantings,tables and chairs and pabitin. I just cooked kids favorite spag,Hotdogs and a fried chicken. Overall cost is only P4,000 more or less. Much more, always give it as a surprise, never mentioned her what your plans are. She whispered me a big thank you, she's so happy!

1
0 0

What should I do for My twin sisters 50th birthday party that would be special?

0
1

Haw much many for a birthday

0
76 0

I agree with Laura. There is no specific amount for hosting your child’s party. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I have seen people planning great parties without spending much. Budget least matters; all your little guests want is to have fun. Its adults like us who bother about what food was served; kids don’t even want to have food when they are playing. They don’t bother whether you used a party banner or made a centerpiece. So if you have a very limited budget to create a fabulous atmosphere and a big menu, don’t bother. Just prepare what you can and make sure, you plan some interesting and fun-filled activities that kids would love. Let them play till exhausted and have a blast. Cut down the unnecessary expenses on decorations and buy good favors that the kids will enjoy for long. This way, they will remember your party for days to come.

0
0 0

Our parties can fit any budget! Here is a new way to arrange a birthday party in the comfort of your own home: Story-based parties. All the parties have a storyline that ties everything together: the activities, the crafts and the decorations and snacks. There are several themes to choose from. Go to: http://www.talescomealive.com and make a tale come alive!

0
3 2

I would go no more than $100 and that includes cake, present, and place

0
0 17

It all depends on how many guests are invited. At the least $10.00 per person. If you have entertainment and loads of food, maybe $20 per person.

0
3 4

I give my child a choice, he/she can either have a party and invite friends who will bring him/her gifts OR he/she can choose a 'special/expensive' gift from us. This year he forewent the party and chose an ipod! MUCH easier, we still had cake at home w/ family.

0
0 0

250 is a good amount to spend on a child birhtday . but that might be a little exspensive to most

0
0 3

For me personally, it is not just about how much you can afford to spend, but also how/what that money is spent on. As a single, studying mum, I am on an extremely tight budget. With a 5 & 7yr old, I alternate years on who has the 'big' party. They both have a largish family & neighbours party at their Dad's every year regardless, so I'm talking the party with all their school friends.

We're in a tiny house, & both kids' birthdays are at a time of year where it is too risky to plan an outdoor party. So we normally end up at an indoor hired venue of some kind. Last year my son did an indoor play centre with party room for his group to have their party food & birthday cake in. This year my daughter is doing indoor rollerskating centre, again with party room for her & her friends for food. This means costs will come in at around A$250-350, all in. A lot of money for me, but the thing is, the experience for the kids is not hugely extravagant or over the top. Just a really fun few hours playing with their friends & enjoying the traditional party foods that kids love so much at this age. Pretty 'old school' in that regard really.

So I think it's not just about how much you spend, but what sort of experience the kids have & what sorts of expectations/beliefs that teaches.

0
5 3

I am not even close to well off financially, but I always end up spending $300 on the boys' parties. Little by little it adds up. $100 of it is supplies and ingredients for the fancy sculpted fondant cake I always spend a week making, so a regular cake would save a lot there.

I buy the character plates and napkins, and could definitely save $30 by sticking with plain colors.

The rest is decorations, food and drinks. This year I made tshirts with iron ons and my sister painted clearance priced shoes with yo gabba gabba characters. That project was $50 total.

If you want to do it affordably, try to go with a generic theme. You will save a ton. Character themes are a lot more expensive.

I like to make my kids parties very memorable and take a lot of pictures. That's why I go a little crazy. I didn't really have parties growing up and I remember being so embarrassed by that. Christmas and birthdays are the most special days to a kid so I see nothing wrong with going all out if you can manage it. On the flip side, you can do a lot on a small budget I'd you start planning early, especially of your birthdays are during nicer weather.

0
5 0

I think that the right amount of money to spend for a birthday party is based on the most neccessary things. What I mean is by spending money on things that are really needed. I have a 9 month Baby Girl♥ and im planning to baptize her on August 04, 2012 and i'm planning to do her a little birthday party for her first year on October 3, 2012. So therefore, i am going to balance my money and not overspend it so i can be able to do my Baby Girl♥ 2 parties. (:

0
0 4

Yes! Like all say, it all depends on what we can afford and always remember your kids will love you anyway either you have a big, small or no party. Appreciate that & when ever you can have a good party. Also, if you've been having big parties throughout & cannot afford it next time your kid might be disappointed so best to fluctuate between big & small parties even if you can afford the best.

0
0 0

I always enjoyed throwing birthday parties for my kids! One year, to throw a princess party, we got 3 cardboard boxes from Sears - one that was either oven or dishwasher size & 2 that were refrigerator size. We cut turret-tops into the tall ones & pointy windows, too. It looked like a castle. Then the girls all decorated "crowns" with sequins and rhinestones. We took photos of each girl for part of their goody bag. We invited all the guests to dress up as their favorite princess, too. When my girls got older, they enjoyed going to a skating rink - either roller blades or ice skating was always fun. They let us bring our own cake & I made it clear on the invitations that we'd supply the lunch that came when you booked the time for skating & the cake. It really doesn't have to be expensive. Just DON'T STRESS about it!

0
1 9

I feel that a child under the age of 12 should have birthday parties that are anywhere from 5-15 kids. Themed Party, I only allow a max of $200 and that includes from start to finish with gifts and the whole party down to invites and thank you cards with the icing on the cake...you make it bigger than that then the kid expects so much more and gets disappointed when they dont have bigger and better party the year after that. So this is just what I go by. When the child get into middle school then yes go a little bigger plus they will remember it better :) and it all boils down to the fun they have not the cost of the party.

0
3 17

This is easy you spend what you can afford without strapping your family. You can also ask people to bring a dish. They will totally understand and might even like the idea

0
1 0

It Depends upon the family's financial means as to how much they spend on thier childs birthday parties. As a Small Event Planner I have done parties that cost as much as $5 to 10K or ones as little at $275. It also depends on how many children will attend the event and the food, cake, and entertainment and if a venue is booked as well. Most children can be happy just about anywhere if given the chance to do so!

0
6 27

Holy crap I want to be adopted by the people doing kids bday parties for $5 to 10k. LOL! ;-)

20 24

it depends on what u can afford but pre saving is always a good idea some years i have really big parties while other years maybe not sooo much just depends i perfer not to have parties at my own place only because you waste too much time cleaning before everyone comes over and then you have to clean after too so with my son now he is older but most his parties have been planned out somewhere he has done movie b-day parties, chucky cheese, bowling, laser tag etc. call around to get prices and see what u want to spend. baking your own cake can save u money. But it really doesn't matter kids just like having there friends to play with.

0
5 15

I always make sure is about my child so i planned it thinking what will my child
enjoy more so at the age of 1 a celebration for me giving thanks that my child servive one year that would cost about 5 hundred pounds,, then an intimate one for the second year, kinder garden friends are invite which will cost about 2 hundred pounds then at six another celebration spending about four hundred with all my family participating so cost will be more so i get about 2hundred pounds more, we invite a few friends and kids we baked cupcake have games kids at the age of 3,4,5 just want run play so i save for the big bash between 8 and 10years about 7hundred pounds or less they will remember and have something to talk about with their friends, .as some of the mothers already said it depends on how much money u have i may spend less if family help but we must remember birthdays is about kids feeling loved having fun with friends and family and getting prezzies lol.. if u have alot splash out but little makes little kids happy all they need is shear fun and knowing that they are love by their friend and family...

0
0 10

I'll say about $100 dollars if you don't want to overspend.

0
13 13

We do odd years are the "big" parties they have ranged from $500-$1000 and invite all friends and family. On even years we just do a small home party with a couple friends and close family and spend $100-$300. My daughter is only 5, so I don't know what will happen as she gets older.

0
0 0

Party printables is a great way to celebrate your child's birthday. It's environmentally friendly because you download and print the files - no shipping required - and you can get it almost instantly. Very affordable, even if you customize. There are some great sites offering a lot of choices - Frog Prince Paperie or Paper Glitter have some awesome designs (and so many more!). I've just uploaded some new designs to my new site - www.MagicalMePaperCrafts.com. So no matter what you want to spend - a little or a lot - there's something out there that will make your child's birthday party an event to remember!

0
0 1

Ihave 2 children and there is 7 years between them, there b/days are huge in our home a big deal is made because we choose to, there b/day is the greatest day of my life so i spend alot but I choose to do that, it depends on your financial situation and how you choose to celebrate , but in our home we go to dinner of there choice they have a friend party then a family party until they start high school then we stop doing the friend party, until the 16th hits next year then we will have 2 parties again