How often do your children see their grandparents?

Sometimes grandma and grandpa live right down the street, and other times due to distance or emotional issues, they aren't around much at all. How often do your children see their grandparents in your family? Do you wish it was more or less often? What are ways to make sure they keep in touch with them if they do not see them often?

0 5

It is a blessing to have grandparents around. There is a lot they can share with the young in terms of experiences, values, but mostly love spelled as T I M E. They do not have the pressure anymore of providing for their children so they are usually at their best with grandchildren. In a way, they make up for their deficiencies as parents by pouring it all out on their grandkids and spoil them. If they happen to live with or near their grandchildren, they provide a sense of security to the children whose parents are usually out at work.

8
9 11

My children get to see their grandparents a lot. Their paternal grandparents let us live in an attached apartment for awhile and we would travel a few times a year to see my parents, weather permitting. Now that my parents have moved closer, their visits are more frequent. I've had an amazing relationship with my in-laws and they have an amazing amount of love to give my children.

6
8 0

I spend most of every day with my Grandson...Mom works full time and goes to school full time. It took a while for my husband to decide our little guy was great, but now he thinks the world rises and falls in when he is here. We will continue to work to stay close to our grandchildren. My parents did not see enough of our children, they lived out of state, and our children knew they missed that special bond. My husbands parents had other grandchildren that were in the same town, again out of state, so payed very little attention to our girls. Eventually it did not matter to our girls, but it did to us. How sad that they missed the bond they could have had.

4
4 15

My parents lived with us until our children were in their teens & they were so close to them & had such a special relationship. Our 3 grandchildren live with us as we have permanent guardianship so they are really more like our kids & I can't imagine not having them. Two boys 10 & 9 & little girl 6, they wear us out but keep us young.

4
5 0

My husband and I also have custody of our granddaughter. We have since 2001. She has been SUCH a blessing to our lives! Such a good girl. She is 15 now and still likes to be around "mom and dad"....that's what she calls us, even though she knows who her mom is and loves her very much. We moved closer to my son and his wife so we would be able to see our two young grand sons more often...WE LOVE IT...that really is what keep me feeling young!!!!

1 7

I think we are so lucky.....I grew up seeing my grandparents daily, as my parents both worked, my grandparents were our babysitters.my children see their maternal grandma almost daily and grandpa about 4x a year......due to current financial struggles we live with my grandmother ...the kids great-grandmother.......I think it is awesome and so special to have such a bond....it enhances everyone's lives

4
2 46

My children see my father when he decides to drop in when he's not visiting my sisters, my mother doesn't travel so it's whenever I can get to town. But with the exception of my current mother in law (she's biological grandmother to only one of my 5 children), my children don't see their father's parents in a really long time. I can't say I don't agree with the majority of you about it being great having their grandparents around more often, but in all honesty I find not having that extra set of opinions less stressful, and I have an awesome sounding board with my partner.

3
35 6

While I love my children spending time with my parents, it is a burden having those extra opinions.

2 20

We live with my in-laws so my kids see their paternal grandparents every day. They see my parents sevaral times a year but as often as possible! Recently I needed to go out of the country for about 5 days.... a heart-wrenching trip leaving the kids behind but you know what?! My angel of a mum and my blessed parents-in-law kept my children with all the love in the universe.... we all have rights and responsibilities when it comes to children and each other... they were there for me in my time of need and God give me and my children the ability and will to be there for them when they need us.

2
0 2

I have a son that is almost 4 yo and a daughter that just turned 2. My entire family, as well as my husbands family are scattered all over the US. On average, they see their grandparents every other month for a long weekend. We are all amazed at how strong the bond is between them, especially at their young age. Somehow, my kids have a stong sense of who their family is. I guess that I have to attribute it to the quality of time spent together and making the best of the limited time we share. It also helps to have a family picture book grouping each family together so they get an understanding of each family unit. I keep it in their toy box.

2
19 81

My children grew up on the family farm. There paternal grandparents moved to town and their home was a second home to my children. My Dad also lived in town and saw my children often. My Mom moved to another state a days drive away. My children saw her 4-6 times a year. When we quit farming and moved to another state it was hard from my kids to leave their grandparents. Our eldest had already left for college but for the other three it was difficult. We make a lot of trips to visit.

2
0 13

My 2 yr old son has an amazing bond with his paternal grandfather. He cries uncontrolably for his poppy whenever we have to leave. Both my children see their maternal and paternal grandparents at least once a week as well as their maternal great grandparents. They love them so much and I couldn't imagine them not in their lives. I had a similar opportunity when I was a child and you learn so much. It's the best thing to watch a child running to their grandparents with open arms and a grin from ear to ear.

1
0 15

My son spends every weekend with his grandparents. They have a very special bond. My dad babysits for me once a week and takes my son to all of his hockey games and practices. As well as the weekends he sees his grandparents two or three times a week. We only live 15 minutes away.

1
0 1

My kids see my inlaws several days a week as my mother in law is my children's caregviver during the week when both my husband and I have to work. My parents live across the country so my kids don't see them as often, but still see at least my mother 3-5 times a year. We keep in touch with my parents via Skype so that my kids can still "see" their grandparents on a frequent basis. I have no issues with the current arrangements, luckily I have great inlaws who are respectful and non-invasive and care very much for my children.

1
0 13

We've been fortunate. My inlaws watch the girls 3 days a week so I can work and then the other two days, we swing by my mom's house for a visit...so they get to see quite a bit of their grandparents and they love every minute of it. They share so many special rituals together. Before my dad passed away last year, the girls loved spending time with him and often bring up his name. I'm just sorry they only had such a short time together. While it's not always convenient with a busy schedule, I know that having grandparents is a gift and helps to shape our kids. I read once that having elderly people in your life, especially when you're young, gives you hope...it puts life into perspective to see your grandparents and that they've made it thru the good and the bad times. And it doesn't hurt when they spoil you, too. I miss mine for sure. : )

1
0 6

My grandchildren live very close. When they are at their dad's, just next door and only a few minutes away when at their mom's. One lives only 17 miles away. I love having them close. Really miss having them next door all the time as then they just pop in and visit. Its wonderful.

1
28 35

A LOT!!! MY 3 year old gets to see my parents at least once a week, but usually more. He sees my inlaws at least once a month.

1
12 6

We currently live with my kids paternal grandmother so see her a lot and we see maternal grandmother and grandmother every couple months.

1
6 3

My parents lived with my maternal grandparents until I was eight years old. I grew up with my Grandmother being the most important person in my life. Moving out of my grandparents house was the most traumatic event in my life. As an adult, I moved to the other side of the country. We stayed close until they passed away, talking on the phone at least once a week. My children didn't have that same connection to my parents. We saw them on visits, but it was never enough. Now I'm a grandmother and I have moved to the city where my grandson lives. I have been able to recreate the bond I had with my Grandmother. I had been watching him six days a week (overnights 3 - 4 times a week) until he started kindergarten. Now I only have him overnight two or three nights but the bond is there. This is the best move I could have made.

1
23 0

Hi there,
We see our Grandson twice a week while he's been driven from his Mum's (Our daughter) to his other Grandparents & then when they drop him back to our house My hubby has to drive him straight home! So I'd say we see him altogether for 10 to 15 minutes twice a week & only for driving purposes! We feel soo used & My hubby doesn't want to say anything in-case we won't see him at all!:(( My daughter is and always was spoilt! I really do hope this all changes soon (I actually have a question up if you could advise it would be really appreciated!) Best wishes xx

0
2 0

I have seen my granddaughters often as I babysat them. There are 4 but now I have been
denied them as I went out to my sons who is separated from his wife and she was there and my sons is mad I went there. I have told him I am sorry but he wont budge. I do write
them as I want them to know I love them. I pray all the time as I made a mistake by going
there. My heart aches so bad. I am not a young woman and dread all the days wasted in
this situation. I just try to hang on and hope life gets better.

0
2 0

Please know I truly sympathize with you. I baby sat 4 sweet girls and now now the parents are separated. As they live apart, I am denied the girls. I see no reason for this. I am a senior too. My heart aches for you. I know

1 0

My son unfortunately does not get to see his grandparents that often. He sees my mom once a month and my father maybe twice a year and he sees his paternal grandparents once a year..it makes me sad cause when i was growing up i lived with my maternal grandparents and saw my paternal grandparents every weekend..its very Upseting but my parents are divorced and they are wrapped up in there new lives.. My mother sees her boyfriends grandkids every week. And her bf isnt even in the picture (hes in jail) it makes no sense to me but i will teach my son the meaning of family.. I will deffinetly be a part of my grandchildrens lives

0
2 0

My child sees his grandparents every day because they watch him while I work. I love it because I know his is getting alot of love while im away working hard to make sure he has everything. My son loves his grandparents, but his face lights up when I walk through the door everyday.

0
1

My son and daughter in law don't let me see my two grandchildren, for the last few years
They have used them as porns, if I don't do as I am told when I'm told, give money when they won't it, what is this teaching young children? My son tells lies and I am sure he suffers with paranoid thoughts.
Sue.

0
45 0

The kids grandparents live four blocks from me but they travel probably 200 days out of the year......the kids make sure to see them when they are in town and for special occasions....

0
216 0

My mother lives with us so my kids see her everyday. My father passed away in 04 so he didn't even get to meet my two youngest.
My husband's parents live a couple hours away and they take the kids for a weekend once every three months or so.
We also see them for birthday's and holiday's.

0
443 20

My son rarely sees his grandparents. My hubby does not get along well with his mother, and to be quite frank I refuse to speak to her because of some very horrible things she said about me, so even if my hubby and his mother patch things up I will not let her in my house.
My mother and father live a 10 hour drive away and with our finances we simply cannot afford to travel that far. It has been over a year since my son saw his grandparents. I have been trying to get my parents to save some money so they can travel to my house for my sons birthday, but I dont think I have been successful. I have also been trying to convince them to move in with us as we have a spare room and a caravan that they can use, but neither of them wants to.

0
40 0

My daughter is closest with my mom, so my mom picks her up from school every Thursday for their special time for a few hours before I join them. We talk to her almost daily. She sees my dad there too, but they're not as close. My husband's parents see my daughter about once every three weeks, but more like every week when my husband is home. He worked overseas for four years and now is in the army, so when he IS home, he likes to take her with him when he stops at their house. His parents are about 20 years older than my mom, who will be 50 this month, so my mom is her youngest grandparent and the most energetic and fun. My dad is a the same age as his parents, so that's probably why she's not as close with him either. Ways to keep in touch are snail mail, email, Skype, and phone calls.

0
1 0

My mom lives with me. My grandmother lives 5 houses down from me. On my son's dad's side he sees those grandparents a few days each month.

0
149 53

Not often enough. We live too far away, and time and money often keep us apart. I hate it especially when it comes to my father (Papa as my children call him). My mother passed away almost 3yrs ago and I would love it if we lived close to him. At least he gets to come down this weekend for my daughter's birthday.

0
83 34

My husband's mother lives with us so she sees them on a daily basis. They have a wonderful relationship and are best of friends. My family however, suck. My children haven't seen their alcoholic papa for months. And ever since our falling out (me telling him to sober up or he doesn't see the kids) he hasn't once attempted to contact them. We live 5 miles apart.

0
35 1

Until 2 years ago, both sets of grandparents lived near us. Dh's dad died before our son was born. Dh's mom died 2 year ago. My parents and one of my sisters live on the other end of town. My other sister lives 35 miles away and come up regularly. My 3 grown dds live within 2.5 miles of us in the same town. I see my grandchildren at least once a week. My son (14) sees my parents about once a week. We stop by after class or between Spanish class and the dentist. Before my mil died, we cared for her for over 2 years, driving between our house and hers so our son saw her daily. We have extended family get togethers 3 times a year--Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter--where we can have up to 26 people between my sister's 2 sons and their families and my dds and their families. One of these days, we really need to split up between my sister and me but so far it's only talk. It probably won't happen until our parents die.

0
128 10

My children see their grandparents at least once a week. My parents & my husband's parents live close by, so we are some of the lucky few to have grandchildren so involved in our children's lives. I love that they get to spend so much time with them. If distance ever became a factor, I would make sure they got to speak with them on the phone or webchat at least once a week, & make trips to see them on all major holidays. Grandparents play a very important role in children's lives.

0
1 0

My parents are a couple hours away, and my MIL is about 5 hours away. My parents come down about once a month to visit, or if something comes up (where we don't have extended family in town) they are more than willing to step in and take the children in a pinch. They are far enough away to not drop in all the time, unexpected, but close enough that we get to see them regularly, which is very nice. My MIL, being farther away, we don't see quite as often, but we still see her at least 4-6 times a year. When she comes down, she stays for a week or two, so the kids get to really bond with her during the stay. I really wish that everyone lived a little closer, but we make do, and everyone is happy. :)

0
0 69

A few times a year.

0
0 14

My mom looks after my kids after school, so they see my parents daily. They have such a bond, my daughter with my mom and my son with my dad I love it. On the other hand my husbands parents live out of the country and don't make the effort to come visit or even call them for their birthdays. We try to go to them at least once a year but with the economy it has been hard and it has been two years since our last visit. I think it is sad but greatful that they have the special connection with my parents.

0
0 22

our 3 babes are off with their maternal grandparents now, for their annual solo 2weeks around December at the sea. They LOVE it, it is such a special bonding time for them without us parents interfering & "managing" the relationship, they get to meet each other on real terms. We will join them later along with paternal, grandma, (paternal Grandpa long since divorced & not much contact, :-(( which hurts dad)
Let me share a cute story, we were shopping in a supermarket & came across 2 very enthusiastic people, around 60+. they were filling their basket with all sorts & chattering away, my husband said to them "Grandparents huh?" they replied that yes indeed they were & were getting ready for their grandkids' visit, the man then proceeded to say "Man! If I'd a known how much fun these guys were, I'd a had them first!" xx

0
5 18

my boys grandparents live interstate, so they dont get to see them much or at all. its sad. i wish we lived closer to them. my dad tries to get up here at least once a yr. my mum is so busy that we have not seen her for almost 2 yrs now. i aslo wish we could just hop on a plane and see them, but its the cost that is setting me back. my partners mum, we see a little bit more, she tries to come up at least twice a yr, she will be here at christmas, not long now till we see her.
i have made a photo collage' of people in our family who we dont get to see much of. so my little ones aged 2 and 4 know who their grandparents are. i think this helps alot, my partner always talks about who they are and what they do, i think its important for them to know who they are.
i miss my parents so much.

0
0 1

My son gets to see his grandparents(maternal) everyday, they live next door to us. He gets to see his grandmother(paternal) once a month, he never got to meet his paternal grandfather he passed before he was born. I think it's great for him to have a good relationship with his grandparents.

0
3 2

my mother teaches english as a second language, so shes lived over seas since before i had kids. she does come home for long periods of time though. my oldest is nearly 3, and so far, once a year since he was born, she comes back and visits for 3 months at a time. so we only see her once a year, but for a long stretch :) my father and my husbands parents arent in the picture though, lots of bad history there, but luckily since it all went down at such an early age they wont know what they are missing :) but they sure do love my mom! and they have heaps of honorary grand parents ;)

0
12 9

My folks live 3 hours away :( so we see them once a months! Then my hubby's mom lives at least 7 hours away so we see her maybe once a year. The drive is just too far with small kiddies.

0
4 0

They see maternal grandparents once a week and paternal grandparents every 2-4 weeks(wish it was more)

0