How often should you give your baby plain water?

Is it ok for your baby to drink water? How often can babies drink plain water?

0 0

It depends on the age of your baby and wether or not they are breastfed. A breastfeed baby under 6 months (who hasn't started on solids yet) shouldn't need any water. However a formula fed baby or a baby who is on solids may need water particularly if the weather is very hot. The best way to tell how much water your baby needs is by whats going on in their pants .. as long as they are peeing frequently and their bowl motions aren't too firm then they don't need any extra water.

7
13 54

on a regular basis to keep them from being constipated.

2
20 24

I do agree - it depends on the age but you can give water everyday.Remember that water has iron in it,which off course everyone knows is good for you - buy bottled water if you don't want to give tap water or cooled down kettle water.Just a thought - I gave my son from about 6 and half months more and more - water can only do them good.

11 17

I have heard that once babies start solids it is fine to give them some water, although breastfed babies don't NEED water before 12 months if they are still nursing on demand, breastmilk provides all the liquid they need. And according to the WHO babies shouldn't be given solids until 6 months...so I would say definitely no water before then. Both my LOs started practicing with a sippy of water at 6 months but neither really drank any of it until 8/9 months.

2
1 31

My baby is just over 8months and i heat her water and then let it cool down to room temperature before I give it to her! The reason for this is you can't trust water these days, all sorts of things in it.

1
0 4

It really depends on the age of the baby. Once weaned then a drink of water with each meal is fine. As long as the baby is still being given milk (breast or formula) of the recommended quantity per day then water with meals is fine. I think the problem would be when water is being given when baby isnt drinking at least 1 pint of milk per day up to the age of one. Although once weaned a baby is receiving most nutrients from food, breast milk and/or formula provide important fats and nutrients that they may otherwise miss out on depending on their diet. I do believe that Government recommendations can be very general though and each mother should provide what they feel their baby needs. Sadly there are some babies who are not being fed a varied, healthy diet and it is these babies that most need the recommended quantities of milk per day then water has an extra drink if needed.

1
18 9

i give my 4 month old son water every single day no matter what as it is good for them as well.

1
3 20

I gave my children water as soon as we came home from the hospital-
they would drink two 8oz bottles per day - it kept them full in between feedings and it helped
avoid constipation.

1
33 0

I gave mine water in between bottles. They were fine. They had water from the time they were born, I just didn't add all the sugar like the glucose water in the hospital.

1
1,179 34

It really does depend on the age of the child. My baby right now will be one in a couple days. I switched her to whole milk already and she is on nothing but solids. Its really hot right now in texas for the summer weather so when we are out and about i always give her cold water, But i always mke sure she is eating and its followed with milk. I do also give her some juice sometimes but thats rare its usually only water and milk which she seems completely fine.

1
17 0

I read it's ok for babies to have water at 6 months old. My pediatrician mention babies do not need water right now because they get it from their formula. But if babies are constipated, you can give them water to help. A book i recently bought and find very helpful is called, BABY 411..it's a great book! I am a new mom and find it very helpful!

0
353 0

My pediatrician said she gets all the water she needs from breastmilk or formula so therefore would not need it until she was weened from the formula. I hear too much water can be really bad.

My Aunt gave too much water to baby and caused brain damage.

0
616 0

depends on the age, if they are taking milk well and have been for a while I would say a few oz of water would be fine if you wanted to give to them, but my childs dr said that water is not necessary if they are still on formula. Id say after age 1 let em have it as mucha s they want as long as its not in excessive amount

0
16 0

Its funny because I ask my doctor this everytime I take Jake to his appointment and the dr always says I dont need to give him any. His formula is good enough and my son is 6 months. They say if your baby is constipated you can give them a little water but otherwise they really dont need it. Hope that helps also check out my blog www.beyoncespregnant.com

0
7 4

give water 0ne x a day everyday

0
311 26

It depends on the age, after a year old, my son had one bottle/cup a day until he was about 2. Then he pretty much had a cup floating around with water in it. Now, he had to have a camelpak like Daddy's and he has water in that all day long.

0
2 20

My son was fully breastfed for 6 months then I put him on follow-on formula. I started him on solids at 6 months and he has a drink of water with his meals and if we are out in hot weather but he doesn't really drink much it's more for the practice of using a cup. I have been told by my HV that as long as he is still having as much milk as he wants and he is regularly wetting his nappy with no constipation or hard stools then he doesn't really 'need' water. Just let him practice drinking from a cup.

0
2 63

It depends on the age of the baby. My daughter drinks water twice a day, especially when it hot.

0
0 0

I only give my 16mo old son water once a day a full bottle...the others are 1 whole milk, 1 juice, 1 enfagrow formula and something g2 gatorade. And if he drinks more than this, then its more milk.

0
311 26

Only responding because I found out just a little while ago I shouldn't.(I used to give it to mine everyday as well) Check if it's safe for your child to have the g2 it contains fake sugars. It is less calories than regular gatorade, but I was told my doctor to limit the amount of substitute sugars.

6 28

I give both of my kids a few ounce's plain water every day. They don't live on the stuff, however they still get plain water.

0
0 0

I freaked out at the thought of giving my baby water until An experienced nanny told me that it would help his constipation issues. I already added 1 part formula and 1 part nursery water anyway so he was getting water. The concern is really about the fact that it is empty calories which can fill up baby and cause him to lose weight. Also, watch out how the water is pulled through the nipple. I recommend using a slow flow nipple b/c water will flow much easier than breast milk or formula and you don't wont' him or her to choke!!!!! At 2 -3 months I gave him just a bit of nursery or Gerber water in a dr. brown or Avent bottle and he had no more constipation issues.