How old should your child be when they stop having regular naps?

Sure, most moms make sure their toddler lays down for a midday nap. But what about pre-schoolers and young school-aged children? How old is old enough to stop regular nap time?

4 0

Never too old. I believe we shouldn't force or try and predict WHEN a child should stop napping. I've always encouraged my daughter to allow her body to tell her what she needs. And, as a results, she gave herself a nap two days ago at 7 years old. REST is critical for good health!

37
0 0

I'm with you Monaica. I'm a stay at home mom & I still take naps. Especially with my active 2.5 y.o son. Our bodies need to shut down at some point. Though there's days he doesn't nap.

0 0

My daughter, who just turned 3, goes to her bedroom for 2 hours every day. Whether or not she naps is up to her. At the very minimum both of us need the quiet time. Bedtime always stays the same and if she sits in her bed and talks to herself for 1/2 an hour, so be it. Even if she doesn't nap the break makes me a happier person and lets her decompress with her books and is a chance to rest. And, since the only thing she has in her rooms is her books, it helps her learn to love to "read".

22
46 31

My son is 4, he still needs a day time nap but unfortunately he often thinks that he doesn't! I do have to limit his afternoon sleep to about an hour, otherwise we do end up with him fighting his 7pm bed time. If I can't get him to have a nap he pretty much always ends up feral in the evening! I probably manage to get him to nap 4-5 out 7 days. My son has always been a pretty good sleeper, but I have many friends who's kids have dropped their day sleeps much earlier. It really depends on what works for your family. :)

10
14 23

He won't need a nap if he's going to bed at 7.

0 9

I guess I might just have the kind of kids that others envy! My kids have always been on a nap schedule from the day they were born! My oldest, who is 9 doesn't nap except for when she is really tired, but my 5 and 6 year old take regular naps. My 5 year old gets her naps everyday at daycare, and on the weekends, nothing changes. She sleeps from 1-3 everyday. My son is 6 and being in school full days, he doesn't nap during the week (except during school breaks) but also naps on the weekend from 1-3. Often times, my children will tell me they don't want to nap or they aren't tired, but I never let them sleep on car rides (unless we are traveling at night) so they don't have the opportunity to get that quick power nap that can deprive little ones of the sleep they really do need during the day and they will fall asleep within 10-15 minutes without fail. And my children are on a regimented bedtime schedule of 8pm, 7 days a week and they are also right to sleep! I do agree with the post that there is no set age when a child should stop taking naps, every child is individual, but I am also a firm believer that as parents, if we are tuned in to who they are, we can recognize their behaviors and should be adult enough to intervene and do what is best for them and their health. I think the biggest thing is decide what your schedule is going to be and stick to it because kids thrive on routine and while it can be difficult as parents to do the "needed" things we think we need to, our children and their health should always come first and whatever errands should be second.

9
1 43

Amen! Routine Routine Routine! We have had our daughter (who is now 3 and a half) on a set schedule since she was a baby. She knows exactly what is happening and is mild mannered about being told that it's nap time or bed time. Now, I do let her stay up later (past 8pm) on Fridays to watch a movie if she has had a good week. Rewarding good behavior. She is 3 though and with that comes tantrums, but that's normal. I love your comment Cheryl!

6 19

Naps are important at all ages of a child's life. Follow the needs of your child. Every child differs and every child has different needs.

7
11 0

My little girl stoped naping when she was around 2 years old, she is 2 years and 9 months now. She will have a nap sometimes in the car when Im driving but never would she fall asleep at home during the day. some of these coments are getting me thinking that maybe she is missing her naps because she is a devil some evenings... But if she does sleep during the day even for such a short time like 45 min she just wont go to bed at her bedtime which is 8 30. She'll end up staying up till 10 or even later! Or will just lie there in bed talking to her self for ages..... which I think is awfull because geting up in the morning at 8 for the creche is a strugle then! How many hours of sleep does a child her age need???

7
1 6

My little girl is exactly the same she seems 2 need it bt if I let her sleep even 4 a short while she won't go 2 bed 4 hrs x I've bn told that this doesn't last long, and soon they will go happily thru the day! My little girl.has 12-13hr nights sleep

0 2

You can always take a nap even as adults we nap sometimes.

6
0 9

My son just turned 5 in November. He stays at preschool for naptime 2 days out of the week when I go to school. If on the other days we don't have anything to do I will have him nap. He definitely needs it. He becomes very cranky, bratty, and hyper when he doesn't. However on the days he doesn't nap he goes to bed earlier. Or at least I try to. But yeah I don't see why they should stop napping if they're tired then they should nap. The only thing that should be monitored is how long they nap for and how late it is in the day. You don't want to be struggling at bedtime

3
0 16

"Siesta" has always been followed in Spain where they recognise that the human body, of any age tires in the afternoon. Numerous studies have proven this over the years and most schools also accept this, that's why most schools are finished by 3pm. Why some parents feel the need to ignore this natural occurrence is beyond me. My three children have all had varying sleep patterns but they have all been allowed to sleep when they needed to. It's so much better than the devil child that replaces them if you try to keep them awake!!!

2
0 6

My nearly 3.5 year old daughter still has a nap most afternoons. She goes to childcare 3 days a week and always has either a nap or a "rest" there too. She goes to bed around 8-8.30pm and wakes up around 7.30-8am. If she misses her nap then she goes to bed earlier as she gets too overtired without it.

2
0 6

My daughter is almost 3 and still takes regular naps every day for about an hour and a half. She only sleeps about 9 and a half hours at night.....I have read that a child her age only needs 11 to 13 hours ON AVERAGE in a 24 hour period....Every child will tell you in thier own way if they are tired...I just thank the loving lord my daughter still loves her naps!!

1
3 20

thats so reassuring 2 know. my daughter gets 13 1/2 hours a day including naps so shes not doing bad! i thought she was sleeping exesivly but i guess its all gud! thanx dianna 4 ur post :)

0 51

my sons 2yrs 2months and has stopped having naps since before christmas and only falls asleep in the car or buggy when out if tired. if hes that tired at home he just crashes whereever he is. if hes tired he sleeps, if hes not he wont

1
1 3

im not a mother who restricts my children in anything, so as far as sleeping goes if my daughter needds a sleep she can go have one but if she aint tired i dont force her to bed

1
9 0

One of my sons was nearly 5 the other was only 2 when they gave up regular naps. Both still need the odd nap now at 8 and 5. How i knew they were ready to stop? They didn't stay in bed when sent up for a nap, but played in their rooms instead.
I still sometimes send them upstairs for 'room time' usually about half an hour. Very rarely they will lie down, mostly they will play reasonably quietly

1
0 0

I think that each child is different, and we as parents have to assess that. My 3-year-old has been growing out of her naps for months now, and fights going to sleep at night because she just wants to stay up with mommy and daddy. However, my 7-year-old niece takes a short nap when she gets home from school, and will still drop off to sleep at her 8 p.m. bedtime. All depends on the child.

1
1,903 0

Oldest dropped her nap at 20 months. Third would still nap pretty regularly at four, and has even fallen asleep at school during rest time in kindergarten. Depends on the kid. We've always followed their lead.

0
0 44

My twins are 2 1/2 and they both go down for at least 2 hours every arvo, sometimes longer - although I'm tending to wake them if they go much over that now. All kids are different, but I know without a sleep in the arvo my two would be climbing the walls at night (and so would I!) and it means they can stay up until after 7 to see their Daddy when he gets home after work, and they sleep in until between 7-8 most mornings. I have friends who's children are the same age and they don't nap, but then some of them are in bed by 6 and up at 5! I couldn't handle that!

0
0 0

My daughter is four years old. She occationally will take a nap, She wakes up about 8 am. She plays, swims, does her online learning activities, and then she will usually nap for an hour. She goes to bed around 8 or 9 pm without a hassle. Napping is very important because I too take a nap now...Expecting baby number 2, and its so helpful when she takes a nap with me. I know I'll need all the rest possible because I won't get it when the baby arrives.

0
0 20

if my daughter gets grouchy at all during the day, I have her go lay down and take a nap and she is five years old. It is esential for a child to get athe proper amount of sleep and if they do not sleep very good the night before they should take a nap the following day.

0
0 2

My daughter is four and two months and she naps most days but there are some days she does not and during those nights she does not nap she is a grump but the plus side is she goes to bed earlier...

0
0 4

My boy is turning 4 this Saturday and he stop napping when he's 2. He is not good sleeper, I'm lucky if he get 9 to 11 hours asleep at night. He goes to bed around 8pm and wake up 5 or 6 in morning. If he takes a nap he will be up till 11pm.

0
3 20

never too old but its soo diff for each child. like my youngest son is nearly 5 an stopped regular naps at 2 1/2yrs but as hes got busier in school hes got more tired an now has a nap again at least 3 times a wk. my daughter is 21mnt an has an hour in the morning around 9.30 10am and a half hour at 2pm an bed at 5.30-6pm. my boy needs loads of sleep at night but not a lot during the day (even when he was my daughters age) but my daughter spends a lot of time asleep an if she doesn't get enough shes a terrible handful. shes up at 6am every morn without fail, regardless of how late i've tried in the past 2 put her 2 bed, so i have 2 just go with her body clock. i really dont see her getting out of the nap routine until shes at least 6-7yrs but my son will get used 2 the extra work of school and be off naps again in a few wks.

0
0 3

never too old!
i wish i could take a nap regularly :)

0
2 7

around 4

0
4 2

It has to be 2 and half year

0
4 3

My daughter is 4 she stopped with the naps about 2 and a half. Once in a blue moon i can convince her to lay down with me on a sat or sun and she will take a long 1 to 1 and a half nap because i think she needs that once in awhile. Then again my daughter is not a big sleeper never was even as a baby, most babies slept two naps a day and through the night we are still waiting for her to sleep through the night. Although she has been out of her crib since 14 months old transferred to her toddler bed and then at 2 we got her a full size bed she at least sleeps in her bed until about 2:30 - 3:00 then she comes into our bed which is fine as she immediately goes back to sleep. But i was so concerned when she was younger that she wasnt getting enough sleep and my pediatrician stated she may just be one of those babies that doesnt need a lot of sleep. And now at 4 she goes to bed around 10, 10:30 and we are all up at 7 she gets up automatically and is always in a great mood i didnt want to force her to take naps so i gave up but love the time once in awhile when i can get her to cuddle with me and we can take a lazy weekend afternoon nap together.

0
31 24

My child still takes regular naps at 3. Maybe 4 or 5 is when to stop completely.

0
10 1

My son is 3 years old and since was about 2 1/2 years he stopped taking regular naps. I allow his body to tell him when he's sleepy, unless of course I know he's tired then I put him in his room for about two hours. If he falls asleep that's good but if not it allows him time to just play quietly and he will knock on his door to let me know he's done. I also have a four month old daughter so days when I get so sleep deprived I feel like I can't stand I will put him down for quiet time. For the most part however he does not nap, he gets up around 9 am and goes to bed at 9 pm. So he sleeps twelve hours and is awake for twelve hours. It works for us and I believe children should allow their bodies to tell them when they're done napping. We shouldn't force them.

0
8 11

My children's behavior told me when they should stop having regular naps. For my daughter (who is in Kindergarden this year) - she stopped regular naps last year during the summer. She was finally able to go all day without getting cranky and throwing tantrums during the middle of the day. She still takes the occasional weekend nap when she's tired & cranky now.. it all depends on behavior. ;)

My 3 & 1/ 2 year old son is almost there now... he seems to do better with less sleep then my daughter. He still takes an hour nap during the day at pre-school, and on the weekends if he starts acting cranky he gets a nap - no questions asked.

I think it really depends on the kid. Forcing them to take naps when they're not tired can throw off their body clocks IMO (although i'm not at all against "quiet time for an hour to read books and re-charge). But, running kids ragged and not allowing them to sleep when they need it is asking for problems as well. Most parents know what their individual kids need on a daily basis - just go with your gut!

0
15 11

my son was still having afternoon naps for upto 3hrs and still sleeping at 7pm til 6am up until he started nursery and only because he was in afternoon nursery he had to stop and have an hour when he finished. He is so active he needs the sleep and would tell me he was tired get in chair with a blanket and sleep or even go to bed of his own accord. If he didnt get that nap he was over tired and naughty

0
5 18

my first child, we had stop giving naps during the day, because we had so much trouble getting him to sleep at night. he was about 3 when we stoped. he is now 4. my 2nd child, who is 2, we still give one nap during the day. sometimes he doesnt want to have a nap so we dont force it. i think it depends on the situration that ur in. all children are different. when i was young my mum kept doing until i was 7.

0
0 7

My daughter just turned 3 and she still takes a nap everyday if she doesn't get a nap during the day she is a very grumpy girl I don't think there is a cutoff really if she is tired I'm not going to force her to stay awake as well as even if her nap goes a little late if she is tired I'm not going to wake her up early from a nap just because it's going later then I would like there's a reason they are sleeping so I let her sleep and she will take a 3 hr nap and has a pretty decent sleeping schedule she gets up at 730am and usually sleeps from 12 to 3 or 330 and goes to bed between 9 and 10 not to mention I'm 25 and still take naps on occasion

0
0 1

my little guy (almost 4 now) stopped the regular naps at around 2. and he sometimes, although very rarely, sleeps at daycare during nap time. He usually is allowed to go play with the older kids in another room. His bed time is 8 right now because i only get home from work at 6:30 and once dinner and all that is over its pretty much time for bed. I wish i could pull his time forward a bit to make him less difficult to wake up in the morning but its hard when dinner isnt usually ready until 7 or 730 after i get home to make it. He's generally a good spirited kid though. Makes single parent-hood fairly easy. he usually gets around 10 solid hours of sleep every night, more on weekends when im not working and we can sleep in. But if i forced him to take naps on weekends then he would usually lie in his bed for at least the first hour or 2 before he finally falls asleep and by that time the whole afternoon is shot. I prefer keeping him up and letting him play with our neighbours kids and what not then hes more tired at bedtime.

0
0 6

4yrs at the earliest, they need at least 12 hours at night to make up for the lost sleep at naptime.

0
0 12

My oldest daughter stopped taking a nap just after she turned 3-years old. It would be a fight to get her to nap, then at bedtime she would come out of her room repeatedly. Once she stopped napping she was very tired at bedtime and would go right to sleep with no issues. We did have some whining at around 5pm, but once she ate dinner she was generally okay. My second daugher who is 17-months still takes 2 two-hour long naps and goes to bed without fuss....delightful!!

0
0 24

My boys are 3 1/2 months, 3 1/2 and 5, and the older ones still nap probably 3-4 times a week......the oldest one during the week usually falls asleep on the school bus for his 1/2 hour ride home ( which breaks my heart, but school wears him out! ) On the weekends, he will usually have a nap one of the days, They just get to the stage they know when they're tired... My 3 1/2 year old will just lie up on the couch in the afternoon, usually 1 or 2 pm and just fall asleep.....I let them sleep for as long as they want, sometimes it can be 3 hours, and they still are in bed at night by 8.30 pm. They might lie there for 15 mins before going to sleep, but I guess I'm lucky, sleep for my kids has never been an issue.....But I will admit, from day one, they have always been in their own bed, never once have I put them in our bed,and I have always been pretty tough on bedtime. But I think it pays off....they both from about 14 months used to say to me when they were tired....." teddy bottle bed mummy" so it is a routine thing and they just get used to it! My 3 1/2 month old baby even sleeps from about 8pm to 7 am most nights.......maybe it is just pure luck?

0
55 21

Every child is different and they will usually show you themselves that they no longer need naps. Just like adults, some need more sleep than others and some find it easier to get that sleep than others. My dd (now 4 1/2) stopped napping shortly after she was two and was a devil to get to sleep before that! She still struggles to settle at bedtime but occasionally will go down when she's REALLY dead on her feet during the day.

My ds (two next week) still sleeps like the dead and can have an hour and a half without any difficulty at all. i suspect he'll still be napping until he's nearly three. He's always slept better than his sister since he was a tiny baby. My aim is that he will stop napping regularly by the time he is four at the absolute latest in readiness for starting school at 4 1/2 but there's no rush at all at the moment.

0
6 3

My Daughter didn't stop taking naps until Kindergarten but for her that was a BIG mistake because she had a very hard time adjusting to a new school and the fact that there was no naps. I have learned the hard way with my daughter so now that my son starts kindergarten next year I have stopped him from having naps. He has not had a "scheduled" nap since sept. to get him ready, BUT if he is REALLY TRULY beyond reasoning tired, I will put a movie on and let him fall asleep.

0
4 18

My daughter will be 3 in April, and she's acting like she wants to phase out naps. Some days she's down right away, other days, she'll lay in there and talk to her feet forever. When she doesn't nap, she's a beast in the evening. So until she regulates herself a bit better, we'll continue to put her down for a nap. Even if she doesn't sleep, at least it's quiet time!

0
55 21

If she really won't nap (mine wouldn't and would just scream the place down for up to 2 hours if i tried to make her) why not pull bedtime forward. It's 6pm in my house as that's the best way I can make sure my dd gets the sleep she so desperately needs. Nap time is one battle I don't need to fight with her then!

6 20

We have two boys, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old (will be 2 in March). Both take naps during the day, probably 5 days a week. Nap time is normally around 1pm, that's when they both start getting cranky. I give them a few ounces of milk if they ask. They rarely fight nap time, when they do "fight it" they just lay in their beds and talk to themselves for about 10-30mins (just depends). They sleep about 1 1/2- 2hrs. When they wake up they are happy the rest of the day. Bedtime at our house is later than most we know, ours is 9pm. They wake up around 7-8am. Our Pediatrician said its good that they still take naps because if they don't take them they get very cranky, fight with each other, don't want to eat, etc. It really does depend on every child and their daily activity. Mine are very active, none stop ALL day, we limit T.V, have them doing arts & crafts, playtime, learning time, 3 yr old also does Tae Kwon Do 3 days/week. This schedule works for our family. Hope this helped another mommy out.

0