How old were your daughters when they started wearing makeup?

Starting to wear makeup is an exciting moment for all young girls. How old were you daughters when they began wearing makeup?

0 8

Our family sat down and had the conversation about make-up and here’s what we did. We explained that make-up has steps and responsibilities. We started with face wash and explained that they had to wash and take care of their faces for six weeks without hassling them to do it. Then they were allowed to use clear lip-gloss after showing responsible behavior with that we moved up to colored lip-gloss. Now my oldest is working on a pale blush. Every child is different and forbidding it only makes them use their friends make up when away from you. Open communication is the key to trust on both sides of parents and children. Children feel like your letting them grow even by letting them wear simple lip-glosses or body fragrances.

23
1 20

I really like this approach!

17 10

I believe that the age is irrelevant since everyone matures at a different pace. My mom instisted 15 and I was hiding it at school from the age of 12. If they are taught how to properly apply "the natural look" it will carry with them into adulthood and the trashy look will be eliminated forever.............we can only hope:~)

9
2 5

I agree completely! My mom was very strict about it and I did it behind her back. My daughter is 12 (in 8th grade however) and wears very light eye shadow and some mascara and that is it.

0 4

My daughter still thinks, "why do people wear makeup? God made them beautiful without it" So Im hoping she keeps that attitude for a long time! If not, she will be allowed to use it moderately at 16.

7
10 25

My daughter feels the same way about it add you're daughter does, and mine is 14. We have the added benefit of an "outlet" in that or daughter does weekly skits at church for the Children's Ministry. She portrays a snarky, angsty teenager & wears makeup appropriate for her character: dark eyeliner, heavy eyeshadow & plenty of lipstick.

23 8

I allowed my kids to wear makeup at a very early age id say 5 maby? only because iv never seen the big deal about it. Theres so many other things to worry about. Face paint and make up wash off.

4
15 5

I think it is an individual thing. My daughter is a Burn Survivor and has scarring on her face. While I know she is beautiful, not everyone sees the underlying beauty, but the scars on the surface.
My daughter is 16/.5 yrs old now and wears makeup most days. She started out small, with the lip glosses and a powder to help protect those scars... I am thinking she was in 5th (at the end of) or (the beginning of) 6th grade. (no flames please).
My daughter is responsible with her make-up and if it't too heavy, I ask her to go re do it so she looks nicer and people don't think she is trying to be something other that who she is.
I liked the poster who suggested to start in stages... this is one thing I also did.

4
4 2

I can completely understand why you allowed her. I am sure she is quite beautiful but I also know how cruel kids can be and I am sure the confidence boost is good for her.

0 0

i am not a mom, i am 15 years old and am going to be a soph. in highschool. i can tell you that clean and clear skin is WAY more important than wearing makeup. most girls dont wear makeup, except for some mascara and lightly applied eyeliner.

3
4 25

I happen to be a licensed hair stylist and makeup artist so am lucky enough to have my daughter's trust when giving advice on makeup. At 13 I allowed her to use mascara and lipgloss only, and at 14 I gave her a professional makeup lesson and purchased a starter kit by Bare Minerals. I remember myself sneaking makeup use in junior high and figured I might as well teach her how to use it correctly rather than have her be sneaky and looking awful without my knowledge.

3
235 30

We don't let our daughters wear makeup until they are 12 years old. So some of our daughters with early birthdays were in their last year of elementary school(6th grade) and one was just about to enter 7th grade. They sometimes went to birthday parties younger than that where makeovers were being done, but they weren't allowed to wear makeup on a daily basis until they were 12. At our house the 12th birthday is a big deal. My friend sells Mary Kay so she does a facial with them to teach them how to take care of their skin and apply makeup properly and I buy them their first makeup. My girls are growing up fast enough and they are so cute when they were little. They didn't need to wear makeup before then. Only a couple complained that their friends were already wearing makeup. It wasn't too big a deal though since they knew there was a specific date when they would be allowed to start wearing it. My husband has taken away makeup from my girls for a time for misbehavior and that was torture for them.

3
0 0

my daughter is 9 years old and i allow her to use blush

0 0

I am 11 (12 on monday) and I just wanted to say that my mom has never "forbid" me to wear makeup. No I wasn't not allowed to wear it out side of the house except when me and my cousin would just put on a little to walk down to the local Starbucks or something as juvenille and harmless. On the sunday before my birthday, My mom is going to take me down to the mall and she is going to take me down to the Sephora and she is going to buy me basic makeup, as a lot of girls in my school wear it regularly. She also is going to let me take a class so i know not to have any raccoon eyes or anything of the such. She has one rule for me- If it is to heavy, she wont let me wear it. And if i cant prove that i can wear makeup like a normal human being, then she shall take it away. Any way, my point was that if you don't "forbid" things and you teach your kids how to use the things, they 1) wont try to hide it and 2) will be more open with you. Thank you for taking your precious time to read a response from an almost 12 year old. Bye!!!

2
0 0

nice thinking

121 4

My daughter started wearing makeup at 12.Not a lot. I taught her how and explained it is used to enhance ones looks not cover them up. She has never worn it heavy or trashy looking.

2
10 39

I agree completely we did the same! She still keeps it simple and elegant and knows the difference.

1 18

It's funny because I just had a discussion with a friend of mine about this. Our daughters are 11. Her daughter is one month to the day older than mine. They started 6th grade this year. My daughter is very responsible, sweet, and smart little girl. She has made the "A" honor roll from kindergarten through 5th grade. She helps out in the house and is a great big sister. My friend told me that her daughter makes good grades and is a good girl and so she's letting her daughter wear makeup this year. I do not agree. My own opinion is that these kids are being made to grow up so quickly with the way society is. TV, shows these little girls with a face full of makeup, high heels, short shorts, and an abrasive attitude as being normal. It's very distubing to me. I am not saying makeup is the cause of this, lol...I'm just saying that it is another tool that has these children looking older than what they are. Kids are promiscuous earlier and earlier. Pregnant, living off the system. Grandmothers and GREAT-grandmothers are raising yet another generation of kids. I have these little girls coming to my house with their cell phones connected to them and texting at all hours of the night. Quite honestly it makes me quite sick. I am so afraid to raise my children in this day and age! I am only 34 and even from the time I was a young child times have changed so much. Apparantly this is a sensitive topic to me! lol I guess when you are actually going through it and it is quite fresh it has a little more meaning! ;) My daughter right now has light colored lip glosses and that's about all. I think she is much too young to wear everything else. We have talked about it before and as I said she is very respectful and I trust that she would not defy me because she knows that once trust is broken, it is extremely hard to get it back. I don't worry about her sneaking to school and doing it because she does have a healthy fear of her parents that I think so many kids no longer have. I don't know that I have a specific age when she will progress to something else. I think when the time is right it will happen then. She's not missing anything, she's content and happy with herself and knows that she doesn't need anything on her face to make herself feel "good" or "pretty." She's a beautiful person on the inside and it radiates through her. I pray that she continues on the road that she's on and that the rest of her childhood is as good as the beginning has been! God bless all of you that have to make these decisions! lol Children, especially girls can prove to be quite.....challenging at times! lol

2
30 26

I think a mutual respect would go a long way but I also think children are growing up too fast while some (most) adults are growing up at all. I never really wore make up because I never cared. I wore lip gloss & that's it. In fact I started wearing lip stick when I turned 21. Make up is not my thing. My oldest wears lip gloss only. I've told her appearance isn't everything & your personality should shine through. It can't if you have junk on your face. She wears deodorant & sometimes scented lotion or perfume but rarely. I've taught her that scented soap is better than perfume. She'll be allowed to wear make up when she's 16 like I was. My youngest daughter wears lip balm. She's still a baby (to me)! She's a serious little girl who likes to read. She's a bookworm while her big sister's a tomboy. They're like mini me when I was younger. It's funny because I went to a Mary Kay party yesterday. It was really confusing. The first time I ever wore make up was for my 21st birthday party & I hated it. Yesterday was the first time since & I still don't care for it. But I learned that girls should start a skin care regime when they're 16 because that's when their skin peaks. When Damaris turns 16 I'll brush up on the info & we'll get through it together. I think mothers & daughters (& all family/friend members) should have an open & honest relationship. I had part of that with my mother & I appreciated it. I just wish I felt like she trusted me. Trust is key.

1 10

Definitely high school but even then the ability to handle it maturely is a deciding factor as well.

2
0 7

My daughter is 13 and is in eighth grade. I am more excited for her to wear makeup than she us. She is allowed to wear a light tinted moisturizer, blush, and eyes (which is shadow and mascara). I apply it for her and it has no hidden meanings in our house, just a way to put some effort into looking nice.

2
0 11

hi um this grade thing, are yous from america? here in nz, yr6 the child is 10, yr7 11, yr8 12 and so 4th. i think a little makeup is nice but not too too much. some1 will bound to say something negative.

3 36

We have 4 girls and started them with mascara and pale lip gloss when they started 8th grade. At mid-term we allowed neutral eyeshadows and blush. We also played with makeup at home to find out what was most flattering for each girl. One they were older in high school, we allowed scant eye liner (no raccoon eyes allowed!) So far we haven't had to fight too much about about them wearing too much makeup, because we've always tried to teach them to how to use and wear it, and focused on taking care of their skin first and foremost. You just can't beat glowing clear skin!

2
1 2

My daughter started to wear makeup when she was 11. She would hide it in her bag and apply it at school. Needless to say, she would look like a raccoon by the time she got back home. I would always punish her and she would keep on doing it. So, I gave her permission. Took her to a makeup artist at my hair salon and they taught her how to properly apply makeup and what shades to wear at her young age. She's HAPPY and I'm HAPPY. No more punishments or raccoon-looking faces.

2 22

My daughter started at about 13 and is now 15. It is hit or miss as to whether or not she uses it on a daily basis, depending on time constraints before school. I did start her on a facial product routine this year so that she can keep clean and healthy looking skin. I believe that healthy skin is the most important thing especially when I see so many of her friends with horrible teen acne.

1
1 17

We didn't have to worry as school forbid makeup until the 7th grade. My daughter is a very fair redhead and now that she's in 7th grade we let her wear a little mascara and lipgloss. It's amazing what that little bit does for her. No one ever notices her beautiful porcelein skin but now that her eyes show up, the rest of her face glows!

1
12 16

Able to play with it in the house as small children, but couldn't wear outside the house. At ten clear lip gloss outside the house and 12 tinted lip gloss with mascera, as well proper skin care nd by 16 make up. My oldest girl had same rules and now at 22 all her friends want ther to do their make up and my 10 year is excited about tinted lip gloss.

1
12 16

I mean clear gloss.

28 8

My daughter was 11yrs. old she was allowed to wear lip gloss. 12yrs. old I added neutral eye shadows and clear mascara. Although she seldom wears any make-up. I found once I allowed it she wasn't so interested in it anymore.

1
0 0

my daughter on the other hand is very excited to wear makeup she is now 12 about to turn 13 she only curls her lashes but should i let her wear light colored eye shadows ??

0 31

my 15 year old was about 13/14 when she started wearing a little makeup, my 12 year old isn't really wearing makeup yet she sometimes has a little eyeshadow & lip-gloss

1
4 0

Asians make good orange chicken. Pumpkins are orange. Does your daughter like orange eye shadow? I don't. It reminds me of outer space!

0 0

i dont have any daughters but i started wearing make up at 13

1
0 11

but did yr family like it wen u started?

8 16

Our daughter just started High school this week she's 14 i bought her her 1st tube of mascara, that's all she wants to wear right now.. So i think high school is the appropriate time.

1
0 11

my dorta is 13 but her last yr in intermdt.she loves using the eyelash curler but thats all. no mascara and she knows that.

0 0

So I am a teen myself and I'm turning 14 in a few days and my mum never told me a certain age for makeup, at the age of 12 I asked my mum about makeup and she said that I can start using it whenever I want to and as much as I want to. I think that ,that was smart because that way I learnt not to use too much at a young age like 12 but to start of small and apply more makeup bit by bit. It was also like a test. The day after she told me that she checked if I did any make up and she was surprised. I only used a tiny bit of foundation, mascara and thin eyeliner. She was happy with my maturity with makeup and continued to allow me to do what I want. If at stages I went a bit over the top she told me to redo it and look more natural:)
I also learnt over the two years that makeup isn't to conceal your imperfections but to enhance your natural beauty.

0
0 0

Well... My oldest daughter (I have a 10 month old, she won't be wearing makeup anytime soon) is 9, and she started wearing makeup hesterday , as she graduated from fifth grade, and elementary school. I have promised her she can wear makeup in middle school since she was three, and I felt it would be cruel to suddenly tell her she can't wear makeup for a few more years, even though she was finally in middle school. At her old school, 6th grade was part of elementary school, and I didn't know she would ever be skipping a grade. So I though she would start around 12, but we now have 9 year old with her own makeup bag. Our deal is: over the summer she is allowed to try any look. I will observe her final results, and then approve or disapprove the look. If I approve, she can wear it to school when it starts back up in a few months. I hope this helps :)

0
2 0

Hi I'm actually 13 almost 14 and I wear makeup on an everyday basis and when u started wedding makeup I didn't tell my parents. Lol.I bought it with my Christmas gift money and everyone thought it was for someone else.but they found out cuz I told them and I started at the beginning of 8th grade. I think the age to start wedding makeup is 7th grade. In 7th grade you start going threw puberty and get pimples and most girls don't like that and want to cover it up,also in 8th grade cuz that's when you start to get dark circles and discoloration in your skin .so right now its almost the end of my 8th grade year and I'm almost in highschool and I just started wedding bb cream.but I were bb cream,mascara, and eyeliner but I want to were foundation cuz its more coverage that I really need

0
0 0

hello! I am actually a 13 years old and my mom let me start wearing makeup regularly a few months ago. I went Bald For Bucks and raised about 1 grand for charity. But, I couldn't really hide behind my hair anymore and didn't feel very "girly" so I asked my mom if I could start wearing eyeliner (I am afraid of stabbing my eye with the mascara brush and am pretty deterred by it, as a lot of girls at my school get "spider lashes") and she responded yes! I was very happy, as I didnt have much confidence in my looks with the buzzcut. Anyways, I was really interested in makeup videos even before I asked so I didnt need any lessons beforehand. I now wear eyeliner everyday (even to school) and it makes me feel much better about myself, makes my clean my face with micellular water everyday (micellular water is also an AMAZING makeup remover) , and is fun for me to incorporate in my daily routine. if I had to recommend an age, I would say 14 is reasonable since many girls in my grade already wear makeup (but dont necessarily know how to use it right).But , it all really depends on you, the parent and what kind of reasons your child has to want to wear makeup. (I like to think I had a good reason but that isn't really for me to say)

0
0 0

I'm just a 12 year old kid my self but I think that a girl should be allowed to start wearing makeup when she reaches middle school. Breakups and etc start to occur and i think it's harmless for a girl to get her self confidence up. I think a girl should start with lip-gloss, and light mascara but not too much. Hope this helped!

0
0 0

I'm a 13 year old girl, turning 14 in March, and I asked my mum if I could wear makeup last night. Due to suffering from eczema on my face, and stating other reasons why I'd like to wear it, also explaining that I didn't want to cake my face so I look fake, but only to even my skin tone, and cover up the odd blemish, my mum has agreed to speak to my dad about it. Today she told me that even though she was unable to speak to my father about it, he was busy at meetings all day, she, not wearing much makeup herself, thus not knowing much of it, said that if need to have someone teach me on how to apply, and wear it nicely. I think that the age I am at right now, and 12 at the earliest, is a goid age to start wearing makeup as it is usually around the time when girls start breaking out, this information is based off of my friends though, as I've been fortunate enough to not have to worry with acne, though I must say, having eczema can be just as much of a confidence drainer. Generally though, I think that girls should start wearing makeup after you can see that they've matured, and won't go overboard with makeup. Hope this can help someone :))

0
0 0

Probably 10 or 11

0
0 0

I told my daughter when she starts going to junior high school she can wear a very slight amount of mascara (black only) and lip gloss, that's it, and that is only if I feel she is mature enough and ready to wear it. When she hits the 8th grade I will NOT add more the same rules and amount apply. Now when she enters high school she can wear her mascara moderately, lip gloss with a tint of color (No Red). All the while I am monitoring her grades, and behavior. Keep in mind that just because I allowed make - up, she still is not able to have a boyfriend not until the age of 16.

0
0 0

I Let My Daughter Start Wearing Making When She Turned 13 I Wont Let Her But A Whole Bunch On Her Face And Most Of The Time She Lets Me Do It For Her Or She Will Do It Herself.

0
0 0

the worlds changing and children are getting more older while their still young, nowadays girls wear makeup at 12 but i think 13-14 they should be allowed to wear foundation, powder and the other basics. mine were 12 for mascara and around 13 for foundation and the rest.

0
0 0

I Have A Daughter Called Gracie, She Is 11 Years Old And Since She Was 10 She's Had An Extreme Passion For Makeup.She Only Wears Light Blush , Concealer , Baby Lips , Clear/Black Mascara, Should I Let Her? I Also Feel As If She Is Setting A Bad Example For Sophie (Her 9 Year Old Younger Sister.

0
2 0

I personally am twelve and wear the same amount. In fact Inam finding as Inreaad your response again, your daughter and I are very similar. I have always been intrigued by beauty and fashion but makeup really sparked a passion in me. As for your question, I personally view makeup as an art form a a way of expression, but I do know it is seen as a way of covering flaws. If it were me I would let her wear it. The amount you described seems appropriate and not cakey or anything like that. If your really worried she is too young, I wouldn't take it away because of her sister. Whether you think so or not, your daughter is not going to be happy when she has her passion cut because of her little sister. Whatever decision you make Inwish you good luck and thank you for taking your time to read this.

0 0

Hi, i'm 11 in 6th grade and my mom and dad are very very strict with make up. I only get away with wearing clear lip gloss.Rarely but i do sneak makeup at school like a mini mascara and concealer because i have the worst under eyes.literally most of the girls are wearing bb cream and a ton of masscara. I really want to were masscara and bb cream because when i sneak to were it i just feel amazing and feel like i have nothing to worry about, I feel like i left out big time.what my mom always says is "don't look at what the girls do with makeup,ignore them.I have watched a video from mindy from the moms view and she said that if your child is very eager to wear makeup to let them because when the grow up they will go over board with makeup. please someone give me some advise. i really appreciate it.

0
0 0

I'm 13 and I daily wear mascara, concealer, lipgloss... I only started wearing mascara when I was 12 1/2. I understand how wearing the makeup makes you feel good but don't sneak behind your parents back to get. If they find out you could make them even stricter about it. Try to show them your passion but don't argue with "the girls at my school are wearing it" because that's not gonna get you anywhere. Take it from me someone only a couple years older than you. You're 11, clear lip gloss is a good amount, maybe next ask for clear mascara, then every month-or-so ask for another sort of upgrade. If they say no don't go in a strop, it'll just make you seem immature. Take it slow. And sometimes it's not so good to give your child makeup if they're really eager because THAT might make them go over board with it.

0 0

Although I am not a mother, I am 12. My mum never lets buy makeup,wear makeup, talk about makeup or anything but the thing is that I am in love with makeup, my mates at school call me the expert at makeup and say how good I am and I am proud of that. I really want to own some more makeup but my mum basically hates makeup, I'm not kidding. But when I'm 13 she said when I was 9 I can wear makeup but I think she is regreting what she said 3 years ago. What should I do to get her to do to make her let me get some makeup and stop being so protective?

0
0 0

its the same with me its just i'm 11 and only want to were mascara and. i dont wave a lot of acne but i have like 3 pimples at the same time and would want to cover them with like bb cream

4 0

I like to put makeup on my husband. It makes him feel sexy. He takes it out on the cat.

0
0 0

I started at 10 I wear the same stuff to this day.I wear lip gloss and mascara!

0
1

Hi, my name is Gabi. I'm a 7th grader and I'm 12 years old. I would like to wear makeup, but not a whole lot. Sometimes I get little acne breakouts, I just would like to wear a little makeup to cover it up and just to feel less self conscious. I was thinking foundation, mascara, and lip gloss. Is this too much? I'm too scared to ask my mom, so I thought if I asked some other moms first to get second opinions. I would appreciate the help 😊😊😊

0
0 0

Hi. I'd recommend starting with concealer instead of foundation because concealer is made to cover spots and under eye circles and doesn't go all over your face.

0 0

I think the good age is 11, but only of your child is ready. I would have your girl start with some clear lipgloss ( clear lipgloss really brings out their eyes), light blush, some nuetral eyeshadow (I recommend the Urban Decay Naked 2pallete),and a very small amount of mascara. You may also want to know I am 11, I wanted to throw that in at the end so u would really listen to what I am saying. Btw a good facial routine is always key to glowing skin.

0
0 0

I think 11 is a bit young to be wearing eyeshadow and mascara. Especially expensive eyeshadow like Urban Decay. Maybe clear lipgloss and clear mascara instead.

0 0

I think you should let children/teenagers wear makeup when they want to. For some people doing their makeup is a hobbie and they really enjoy doing it, I don't think you should not let someone do what they love. If your child love running as a hobbie you wouldn't make them stop so why make them stop doing makeup. Obviously you don't want you child to look like a clown so if they treacly want to wear makeup teach them how to do it properly.

0
2 0

Thank you!! Someone finally said what Inhave not been able to put into words!

0 0

I started waerung makeup when I was 10. I was sneaking my moms samples and when she found out, she gave me a clear mascara and pink eyeshadow. I never wore the eyeshadow though. At 11 I wore lipgloss translucent powder, curled my lashes and wore clear mascara. At 12 I wore bb cream or conceler, light blush, powder, and brown mascara

0