How old were your daughters when they started wearing makeup?

Starting to wear makeup is an exciting moment for all young girls. How old were you daughters when they began wearing makeup?

0 8

Our family sat down and had the conversation about make-up and here’s what we did. We explained that make-up has steps and responsibilities. We started with face wash and explained that they had to wash and take care of their faces for six weeks without hassling them to do it. Then they were allowed to use clear lip-gloss after showing responsible behavior with that we moved up to colored lip-gloss. Now my oldest is working on a pale blush. Every child is different and forbidding it only makes them use their friends make up when away from you. Open communication is the key to trust on both sides of parents and children. Children feel like your letting them grow even by letting them wear simple lip-glosses or body fragrances.

19
1 20

I really like this approach!

17 10

I believe that the age is irrelevant since everyone matures at a different pace. My mom instisted 15 and I was hiding it at school from the age of 12. If they are taught how to properly apply "the natural look" it will carry with them into adulthood and the trashy look will be eliminated forever.............we can only hope:~)

7
2 5

I agree completely! My mom was very strict about it and I did it behind her back. My daughter is 12 (in 8th grade however) and wears very light eye shadow and some mascara and that is it.

0 4

My daughter still thinks, "why do people wear makeup? God made them beautiful without it" So Im hoping she keeps that attitude for a long time! If not, she will be allowed to use it moderately at 16.

7
10 25

My daughter feels the same way about it add you're daughter does, and mine is 14. We have the added benefit of an "outlet" in that or daughter does weekly skits at church for the Children's Ministry. She portrays a snarky, angsty teenager & wears makeup appropriate for her character: dark eyeliner, heavy eyeshadow & plenty of lipstick.

4 25

I happen to be a licensed hair stylist and makeup artist so am lucky enough to have my daughter's trust when giving advice on makeup. At 13 I allowed her to use mascara and lipgloss only, and at 14 I gave her a professional makeup lesson and purchased a starter kit by Bare Minerals. I remember myself sneaking makeup use in junior high and figured I might as well teach her how to use it correctly rather than have her be sneaky and looking awful without my knowledge.

3
235 30

We don't let our daughters wear makeup until they are 12 years old. So some of our daughters with early birthdays were in their last year of elementary school(6th grade) and one was just about to enter 7th grade. They sometimes went to birthday parties younger than that where makeovers were being done, but they weren't allowed to wear makeup on a daily basis until they were 12. At our house the 12th birthday is a big deal. My friend sells Mary Kay so she does a facial with them to teach them how to take care of their skin and apply makeup properly and I buy them their first makeup. My girls are growing up fast enough and they are so cute when they were little. They didn't need to wear makeup before then. Only a couple complained that their friends were already wearing makeup. It wasn't too big a deal though since they knew there was a specific date when they would be allowed to start wearing it. My husband has taken away makeup from my girls for a time for misbehavior and that was torture for them.

3
15 5

I think it is an individual thing. My daughter is a Burn Survivor and has scarring on her face. While I know she is beautiful, not everyone sees the underlying beauty, but the scars on the surface.
My daughter is 16/.5 yrs old now and wears makeup most days. She started out small, with the lip glosses and a powder to help protect those scars... I am thinking she was in 5th (at the end of) or (the beginning of) 6th grade. (no flames please).
My daughter is responsible with her make-up and if it't too heavy, I ask her to go re do it so she looks nicer and people don't think she is trying to be something other that who she is.
I liked the poster who suggested to start in stages... this is one thing I also did.

3
4 2

I can completely understand why you allowed her. I am sure she is quite beautiful but I also know how cruel kids can be and I am sure the confidence boost is good for her.

0 0

i am not a mom, i am 15 years old and am going to be a soph. in highschool. i can tell you that clean and clear skin is WAY more important than wearing makeup. most girls dont wear makeup, except for some mascara and lightly applied eyeliner.

2
23 8

I allowed my kids to wear makeup at a very early age id say 5 maby? only because iv never seen the big deal about it. Theres so many other things to worry about. Face paint and make up wash off.

2
121 4

My daughter started wearing makeup at 12.Not a lot. I taught her how and explained it is used to enhance ones looks not cover them up. She has never worn it heavy or trashy looking.

2
10 39

I agree completely we did the same! She still keeps it simple and elegant and knows the difference.

1 18

It's funny because I just had a discussion with a friend of mine about this. Our daughters are 11. Her daughter is one month to the day older than mine. They started 6th grade this year. My daughter is very responsible, sweet, and smart little girl. She has made the "A" honor roll from kindergarten through 5th grade. She helps out in the house and is a great big sister. My friend told me that her daughter makes good grades and is a good girl and so she's letting her daughter wear makeup this year. I do not agree. My own opinion is that these kids are being made to grow up so quickly with the way society is. TV, shows these little girls with a face full of makeup, high heels, short shorts, and an abrasive attitude as being normal. It's very distubing to me. I am not saying makeup is the cause of this, lol...I'm just saying that it is another tool that has these children looking older than what they are. Kids are promiscuous earlier and earlier. Pregnant, living off the system. Grandmothers and GREAT-grandmothers are raising yet another generation of kids. I have these little girls coming to my house with their cell phones connected to them and texting at all hours of the night. Quite honestly it makes me quite sick. I am so afraid to raise my children in this day and age! I am only 34 and even from the time I was a young child times have changed so much. Apparantly this is a sensitive topic to me! lol I guess when you are actually going through it and it is quite fresh it has a little more meaning! ;) My daughter right now has light colored lip glosses and that's about all. I think she is much too young to wear everything else. We have talked about it before and as I said she is very respectful and I trust that she would not defy me because she knows that once trust is broken, it is extremely hard to get it back. I don't worry about her sneaking to school and doing it because she does have a healthy fear of her parents that I think so many kids no longer have. I don't know that I have a specific age when she will progress to something else. I think when the time is right it will happen then. She's not missing anything, she's content and happy with herself and knows that she doesn't need anything on her face to make herself feel "good" or "pretty." She's a beautiful person on the inside and it radiates through her. I pray that she continues on the road that she's on and that the rest of her childhood is as good as the beginning has been! God bless all of you that have to make these decisions! lol Children, especially girls can prove to be quite.....challenging at times! lol

2
30 26

I think a mutual respect would go a long way but I also think children are growing up too fast while some (most) adults are growing up at all. I never really wore make up because I never cared. I wore lip gloss & that's it. In fact I started wearing lip stick when I turned 21. Make up is not my thing. My oldest wears lip gloss only. I've told her appearance isn't everything & your personality should shine through. It can't if you have junk on your face. She wears deodorant & sometimes scented lotion or perfume but rarely. I've taught her that scented soap is better than perfume. She'll be allowed to wear make up when she's 16 like I was. My youngest daughter wears lip balm. She's still a baby (to me)! She's a serious little girl who likes to read. She's a bookworm while her big sister's a tomboy. They're like mini me when I was younger. It's funny because I went to a Mary Kay party yesterday. It was really confusing. The first time I ever wore make up was for my 21st birthday party & I hated it. Yesterday was the first time since & I still don't care for it. But I learned that girls should start a skin care regime when they're 16 because that's when their skin peaks. When Damaris turns 16 I'll brush up on the info & we'll get through it together. I think mothers & daughters (& all family/friend members) should have an open & honest relationship. I had part of that with my mother & I appreciated it. I just wish I felt like she trusted me. Trust is key.

1 10

Definitely high school but even then the ability to handle it maturely is a deciding factor as well.

2
0 7

My daughter is 13 and is in eighth grade. I am more excited for her to wear makeup than she us. She is allowed to wear a light tinted moisturizer, blush, and eyes (which is shadow and mascara). I apply it for her and it has no hidden meanings in our house, just a way to put some effort into looking nice.

2
0 11

hi um this grade thing, are yous from america? here in nz, yr6 the child is 10, yr7 11, yr8 12 and so 4th. i think a little makeup is nice but not too too much. some1 will bound to say something negative.

3 36

We have 4 girls and started them with mascara and pale lip gloss when they started 8th grade. At mid-term we allowed neutral eyeshadows and blush. We also played with makeup at home to find out what was most flattering for each girl. One they were older in high school, we allowed scant eye liner (no raccoon eyes allowed!) So far we haven't had to fight too much about about them wearing too much makeup, because we've always tried to teach them to how to use and wear it, and focused on taking care of their skin first and foremost. You just can't beat glowing clear skin!

2
1 2

My daughter started to wear makeup when she was 11. She would hide it in her bag and apply it at school. Needless to say, she would look like a raccoon by the time she got back home. I would always punish her and she would keep on doing it. So, I gave her permission. Took her to a makeup artist at my hair salon and they taught her how to properly apply makeup and what shades to wear at her young age. She's HAPPY and I'm HAPPY. No more punishments or raccoon-looking faces.

2 22

My daughter started at about 13 and is now 15. It is hit or miss as to whether or not she uses it on a daily basis, depending on time constraints before school. I did start her on a facial product routine this year so that she can keep clean and healthy looking skin. I believe that healthy skin is the most important thing especially when I see so many of her friends with horrible teen acne.

1
1 17

We didn't have to worry as school forbid makeup until the 7th grade. My daughter is a very fair redhead and now that she's in 7th grade we let her wear a little mascara and lipgloss. It's amazing what that little bit does for her. No one ever notices her beautiful porcelein skin but now that her eyes show up, the rest of her face glows!

1
12 16

Able to play with it in the house as small children, but couldn't wear outside the house. At ten clear lip gloss outside the house and 12 tinted lip gloss with mascera, as well proper skin care nd by 16 make up. My oldest girl had same rules and now at 22 all her friends want ther to do their make up and my 10 year is excited about tinted lip gloss.

1
12 16

I mean clear gloss.

28 8

My daughter was 11yrs. old she was allowed to wear lip gloss. 12yrs. old I added neutral eye shadows and clear mascara. Although she seldom wears any make-up. I found once I allowed it she wasn't so interested in it anymore.

1
0 31

my 15 year old was about 13/14 when she started wearing a little makeup, my 12 year old isn't really wearing makeup yet she sometimes has a little eyeshadow & lip-gloss

1
0 0

i dont have any daughters but i started wearing make up at 13

1
0 11

but did yr family like it wen u started?

8 16

Our daughter just started High school this week she's 14 i bought her her 1st tube of mascara, that's all she wants to wear right now.. So i think high school is the appropriate time.

1
0 11

my dorta is 13 but her last yr in intermdt.she loves using the eyelash curler but thats all. no mascara and she knows that.

0 0

i am a 13 year old soon to be 14 and clear skin is in i go to a large school 46 kids in my graduating class i have been voted "most stunning face" 2 years in a row i wear no make up at all tell your girls " clown or clear "i can assure you they will say clear if there not satisfied let them curl there eye lashes be understanding moms!

0
0 0

Okay I know I'm not a mum, but as a 14 year old girl I really don't see the problem with wearing make-up. As long as it's blended and looks alright, why not? I've worn make-up to school for two years with my parents permission, and a year and a half before that without permission. Everyday I wear foundatin, concealer,powder, eyeshadow, black mascara, clear mascara, black eyeliner, brown eyeliner on my bottom waterline, lip balm or lipstick.I don't leave the house without make-up because I don't like the way I look. Almost all the girls in my school wear some sort of make-up, but I DEFINATELY agree some girls look ridiculous. Their should be a limit to how much make-up you allow your kids to wear. For example, my sister's 12 and she doesn't wear makeup unless for special occassions. Even then she's only allowed moisturiser, light eyeshadow, a pale blusher, some mascara and lip gloss. I don't think kids under 12/13 should wear makeup because they reallly don't need too. For younger girls, for example what we do with my cousin who's 6, if she stays at mine and we go out, she thinks she really grown up if you pretend to put makeup on a brush and swoosh it on her face. I occassionly give her a spray of body mist but that's it. You should definately set boundaries with makeup but be reasonable, if not we just disobey you anyway....

0
0 0

16

0
100 0

I remember I used to sneak a little lipstick to school and apply it in the bathroom when I was 13. It was just experimentation, and I didn't end up wearing makeup in high school. Even now, I only wear it on special occasions. I think if a girl in junior high wants to wear makeup, a little pale-colored lipstick or eyeshadow is totally fine.

0
11 0

I do not have any daughters, however the best age for a girl to start wearing makeup is 13 years old because that's when she becomes a teenager!

0
0 0

Hi, my names Fleur. I am currently on my mums account because she thought my opinion on make-up might be interesting.

Im currently 15 and i've been wearing make- up for 2 and a half years now. Personally i think make-up is not always a necessary. If your daughter has good skin allow her, lip glosses, mascara and concealer when she has a blemish but thats all thats necessary.

I personally before i wore make-up had really bad acne, all my confidence went as the acne came in and make-up became an absolute must! I still have awful acne but its a little better now then what it was before. Pretty much everyday i wear foundation, concealer, mascara and just lip balm because just concealer isn't enough to cover my spots but to be completely honest id rather not wear it, but i know that if i don't ill be really shy and concerned about what people think about me for the whole day. Although i wear a fair amount of make-up I'm really good about taking it off and washing my face. As soon as i get home if I'm not going anywhere i will take off the make-up, cleanse, tone and moisturise.

As for the age for make-up. I personally think that a good age for mascara and lipgloss is about grade 6. I wouldn't introduce concealer until it shows that your daughter has relatively constant blemishes. As for foundation.... Don't introduce it at all unless your daughter has an extremely oily and overly red face like me.

Actually. Come to think of it... Try not to introduce make-up at all! I've become dependant on it and the first time i left the house without make-up since i first started wearing it was yesterday. That's a long time and it makes it all the harder for me to gradually rely on it less.

Keep them young fresh faces make-up virgins for as long as possible!

Good luck! :)

0
1

Im in fourth grade and i wear a little bit of blush chap stick and eye shadow you cant even tell

0
1 0

I started wearing natural makeup when I was twelve and so did my daughter Willow. I think it's fine to wear clear lipgloss at any age 8 or up but I think makeup should be worn when at least the age of 12. Just make sure that you buy your daughter very natural makeup. I brought my daughter for a makeup lesson at Mac and the lady gave her suggestions and put on some makeup on her that would compliment her. Willow is in grade six and she was telling me some of her friends were starting to wear makeup so I let her. I think you should decide if she is ready by seeing if her friends do so she is not the odd one out. Just kept it natural, they don't need to look like pageant girls.

0
353 0

We allow our Daughter who is almost 11 to wear some light eye shadow, but only around the house. She was experimenting with my makeup so figured why not let her atleast have that so she can practice. She also is allowed to wear clear lipgloss, but that is it.

She is not big on makeup anyways. She does love a little color on her eyes so I figure no harm.

0
0 10

we let our daughters start when they were 12 but only with simple items. Now at 13 and almost 14 they wear a more natural style but the one is more goth so she does a tasteful darker play on her makeup. They know they have to get approval each morning and if I dont like it they have to change it. Each child is different though I believe it all depends on maturity level.

0
5 1

My ddaughter was in gymnastics and acrobatics so she wore makkeup around 9 years old but only for competitions. She then wore makeup from about 8th grade.

0
1 20

To start off, I never wore much makeup myself and do not like to wear it now, at age 50+. Fortunately I have decent looking skin. Although I don't enjoy wearing makeup, I believe part of that is because I was never taught how to wear it properly. Because of this, when my daughter was 5 yrs old, I gave her a nice vanity intending to add matching furniture for her bedroom. In this vanity I supplied "real" makeup and encouraged her to learn how to apply it so it looked natural. NO, she was NOT allowed to wear it to school at that age. It wasn't until middle school that I allowed her to wear it to school... however, if she did wear it (because I am not naive), she applied it so that I was not able to detect it easily. The one product I did not really approve of was eye liner. When she started wanting to use it, I would not let her out of the house if it made her look like a raccoon. Now at age 31, my daughter has become very adept at applying her makeup and takes good care of her skin.

0
6 2

My oldest daughter started wearing a little makeup when she was in the 8th grade and my youngest daughter didn't really want to wear make up at that age she is now 24 and chooses not to wear make up unless it's a special occassion....

0
101 0

I wasn't allowed to wear make up in public until 6 th grade. I was able to play with it as a little girl though. I'm now 20 and only wear make up when I feel like it. When I do it I try to do it like in this picture
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTdV1-4f54KRFDJQkdcCUZuPpcDlnu_V7OTWwIQa4eg5MFOUhc

0
2 1

I only wear very little make up for special events like a wedding do not sure when this will come up for my girls ages 8 and 9.

0
6 11

I allowed my daughter (now 22) to start wearing moderate makeup at 12, as long as it was applied correctly & I was given the final say on the look. She never gave me any problems about it, and was pretty moderate with her look until she was 17 or so and then it was never really over-the-top. My mom started letting me wear makeup at 12 as well, and it worked for me.. no reason to fix what wasn't broken :)

0
5 21

My daughter is 18, and she was about 15-16 when she took an interest in wearing makeup. She doesn't wear it every day, and when she does wear it, she gives herself the natural look instead of painting herself like a hooker. She has never worn mascara and doesn't ever intend to.
Like mother, like daughter... ;)

0
5 19

My daughter was 14-years-old when she started wearing make-up and I enrolled her in a make-up basics class offered by Clinique before she started. She was only allowed to wear foundation, eye shadow and lip gloss to start and she gradually graduated to other more complicated amenities, like blush and mascara, when she was 16. All of her make-up was subject to approval by me and if I thought it was too much or two outrageous, she washed it off. My daughter developed an allergy to make-up and no longer wears it, but she doesn't miss it either.

0
3 38

I hav a daughter,who is in her teens.My daughter actually started applying even Kajal only frm the past 3-4 months.Now,she has begun to give little more time to her face make-up accessories. doesn't put it on,when @home.Only,uses her make -up kit,while attending for a function.She has begun concentrating on the branded products as well.

0
0 0

My daughter turned 15 in February and has only just recently been allowed to wear a small amount of make-up. She has been allowed for special occasions only, prior to this, like year 6 farewell, weddings and Oscars Nights at church where people know her age and don't mistake her for being older than her years.

0