How would you feel if another person posted your kids' pictures on the internet?

Digital photos and the accessibility of the internet increase the chances of your child's photo making it somewhere on the internet. How would you feel if you saw your child's photos posted on the internet? How would you react?

3 0

I think people are really touchy about this subject. As long as there was no bad intentions, I really don't see a problem. I've had people post pictures of my son in a party situation and not ask permission. Nothing malicious was ment so I have no problem, it's nice that I was able to view them. If some one is taking pictures of your child in an unsavory mannor then I would take extreme measure ( legally) and I would want to know. But other than that we need to stop being so paranoid. Not everyone out there is evil,so let's stop focusing on them. Be cautious but not paranoid!

14
5 1

I totally agree Clare. I enjoy & appreciate it when extended family, friends, or day care providers post pics. of my son. Especially if I can't be there for "First" occassions, pics. are the next best thing.

3 5

I absolutely would not want it without my permission

10
7 18

First of all, who are your friends on FB? Are they people you know and trust or do you add anyone that asks to be a friend? If your friends are only people you know and trust then what's the problem? I've posted pics of friend's children and the only thing I've been asked is not to add their names. Only my friends that also know them know who the children are. If anyone asks me who the children are I just tell them they are a friend's children. It doesn't have to go any farther than that. No names have to be given. I have other friends that love it when I post their children's pics. With the digital cameras nowadays it's a really good and easy way to share pics. I also post pics of my grandchildren all the time. My family that lives far away loves being able to see them and how fast they have grown!

8
16 19

i have had this done to e and was disgusted to find out how hard it is to get them removed it is disgraceful onless you have permission to do this you should never ever do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7
1 0

It depends on the situation. If a friend or relative takes a picture of your child when you are present and you don't expressly tell them not to share or display that photo, then I think its implied that its ok for them to put it on their facebook or display it in their home, etc. Also, if you post pictures of your kids on twitter or facebook, your FB friends have the option of "share"ing the picture on their walls - if you don't expressly ask people not to or restrict your photo settings, then its implied that its ok. If its someone you don't know taking a photo of your kids - you should be shutting it down right then and there. When its unintentional, like other children in the background of a photo taken at a playground or something, I do try and wait until no one else in the shot, I also do try and crop people out, but in those cases, you just have to realize that you cannot control everything.

6
10 12

My friends and family all share pictures of eachother's kids. Sometimes it is the only way for other people to get copies of pictures. I tell my friends and family if they would like a picture to access mine! No problem as long as they are not using my pictures to sell for some reason.

5
0 22

I'm really not concerned because strangers do not take pictures of my children. If family members and close friends take pictures of my children then they can post them if they would like. I am usually tagged in the photos. I post pictures of my children, so why can't they??

If a friend or family member asked me to NOT post a picture of their child then I would respect that and if it is a child that is not family or close friend, I always ask first. Like when I take pictures on field trips and such.

This is a digital age and we must grow and adapt with it.

4
7 5

No one has permission except the parents that includes grandparents, cousins, & other extended family. I have pics that I took of my niece while babysitting & even though she looked precious it wasn't my choice to paste them all over my Facebook page.

4
2 32

It is going to happen. Lots of birthday party pictures are posted on Facebook now and if my kid is at the party chances are he's going to end up in the picture. Not much you can do about it except teach your child about internet safety and ask the parent to make sure the pictures aren't shared with the "public". I don't really have a problem with it.

3
11 6

No one has a right to post pictures of you or your minor kids without your consent. That's actually a pet peeve of mine. I believe that you should ask those in the picture with you or of one you've taken permission to use their picture. It's rude, inconsiderate & just plain lousy manners!

3
1 0

I've been there, and I was not happy at all at the fact that a friend had posted a picture of my child on the internet. The picture was one of good taste, but I just did not like the fact that my child was posted without my knowledge or consent. And to be honest being that I am her custodial parent and primary caregiver, I do not like the fact of her dad posting pictures of her as though he is a great father, and in her life as he should be. I don't like it at all, regardless of who does it, it needs to be done with PERMISSION!!!

79 37

I don't even put pics of my own kids on Facebook because they can be easily copied. And just because your kids are in a pic with somebody else's, doesn't give you the right to post that pic on Facebook on any other internet site. Either get permission, edit out the other children or don't post it.

3
22 19

I think it depends on the situation. If someone was trying to take a picture of their kids, and mine was in the background... well yes, they have the right to post the picture. Of course, if they could edit my son out, I would appreciate that. But that is not always possible. I have pictures of my son at WDW with crowds of people around him. Does this mean I should not be able to share my pictures with family members who live in different states or countries?

Now if it is a picture my sister took, yeah I wouldn't care, a picture my close friend took, I still don't care. But if we are on a field trip and someone took a picture directly of my child and did not ask for permission to post those pictures, I would be concerned.

3
9 0

I don't post other peoples kids pictures without clear permission, and don't expect pics of mine to be posted without my permission. In my case my kids are adopted and I do NOT want pics of them to get to their birth parents, so I am pretty sensitive about it. That is why I don't usually post pics of other kids - unless you know the families well you don't know if there are good reasons to protect their privacy (eg messy divorces, custody issues, family feuds etc)

2
32 1

In the end I'm not nearly as worried about who might post a photo of my daughter on Facebook as I am about who might be looking at the photo. Those of us with teenagers have had to learn to live with our children's social networking, and that includes coping with the knowledge that during any given week several new photos of our kids are posted and viewed by people we may never even meet, which is creepy but certainly no different than having a photo of your child appear in the local paper that was taken at a school event. I'd argue that the pic in the paper probably gets ogled by more I'll-intended eyes as predators are always checking out what's in their neighborhood. If the concern about photos posted online is one of safety, I think there are more pressing issues to deal with. If it bothers you, simply contact the poster and request that they remove the photo.

2
22 19

It really depends on who the person was posting the pictures, it would also depend on the content of the pictures.
My ex-husband would have the right to post pictures of our children, but his or my sisters and brothers would not,yes they are relatives but they are not the parents, I personaly don't feel the need to post any pictures of any child under the age of 16 years old, too many child preditors out there on the internet.If you absolutely need to send a picture of your children through the internet, go directly to the persons e-mail and not through facebook or any other public chat site.

2
14 0

I would be upset -- no one should post my child's picture without my express permission.

2
14 0

If a friend or a family member takes a photo that is of or includes your child -- they should NOT post it on the internet without getting your express permission each and every time. And one should NEVER use a photo that includes another person's child in their profile picture on social networking sites without the parent's permission.

9,593 15

If you are in a picture with my child and friends with me or family with me, then you automatically know the photo will 100% be on facebook. Every single photo I take is posted on facebook. I expect the same if someone else takes a photo of my child/ren.

It is almost the only way to be able to show the photos that were taken at events, holidays, parties etc. to the people that were in the photos these days. I actually am peeved when people don't post them.

1
5 0

So long as it doesn't have name or location or address.... fine, it's inevitable.

A school, a friend, a sport, etc. will post their photo sometime. When they're older, they'll plaster their lives all over the internet.

There's a much, much great risk of in person dangers than internet dangers. People fear the internet, but it's often people around (family, friends, neighbors, teachers, thugs) locally that cause harm. I don't understand people flipping out when a photo has their kid in it when no location or name is stated. Your kids go in public and are seen in public. The likelihood of someone misusing your kid's photos in some sick manner are incredibly unlikely. The odds of some sicko being around your kid in person are more likely than some sicko seeing your kid's photo online and trying to find your kid. I've never heard of the latter happening. Like I said, no name or location or address posted/visible in picture keeps it safe enough.

I would worry more about:
1) People locally that you know causing harm
2) Drowning, car accidents, disasters, etc.
3) Your kid posting everything about their lives-- including full name, city, school, etc.-- online.
(Or your kid's sports team, or public directories listing your kid's info.)

1
1 0

I have now worries at all. Its a new world of technology and pictures are so much apart of life now. I don't mind sharing my pictures with the world. Again No Fear! Only Trust that everything is ok in the world. Thanks for letting me post:)

1
0 16

I asked my sister if I could put pics up off her girl because i would like people to do it for me .

1
577 5

As long as it was my family and friends and they were not named ,go for it. We have a lot of family aboard . Id bmore worried about the stranger taking photos than i would be a friend sharing photos of her chilfs bithday party. I feel so sorry for our children living under this smotherig believe that there is a bogeyman around every cturn

1
32 26

It depends, on who and why. If somebody was posting a picture of their kid, say in a wedding, and my kid was in the background. If my kid was not identified, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Another time, a photographer took a very good picture of one of my kids and posted it on their site as an example of their work. The picture was completely unidentifiied. I had no problem with that. If somebody put tagged pictures up of my kids with lots of information about them, or bad or unflattering pictures of my kids up, I would have lots of problems with that.

1
1 2

as long as I know the person posting the pictures I really don't have a problem. I work and have a girlfriend that is always at school so she takes alot of pictures. Whenever she get one of my boys she always make sure I get them, tags them with my name. The boys names are never on the pictures.

1
2 15

Because so many people dont have a second thought about posting pics of friend children ect.. If any one was taking pictures of my chikdren, i would very nicely make it clear that you do not want any pictures of your child on the internet.. if you seen some posted and havent told people I would nicely ask them to remove the pictures and explain that you dont want your childrens pictures posted on the internet.. Mysel i know that some people do not want to be on facebook ect, so if i take pictures I get adult permission before posting.. Some people dont think to ask, and I dont think they are being rude, just not thinking is all

1
1 49

If I didn't want my childrens pictures on line I would not upload them. I know the pictures that I take and the ones taken by family and friends during gatherings so if any one were to photo shop I would know and I would take the necessary steps to have such pictures removed and the person reported. In over all I am not to worried. I have a friend that has never uploaded a single picture of his children on line and has asked very well in advanced that if family members and friends take pictures of his children during gatherings to please not upload them any where on line. I have always respected his whishes without a problem and I think everyone else has as well. I think I would be more worried about my child wanting to open a social page and me saying no and him/her doing it behind my back where I wont be able to supervise. I rather say yes with the conditions of having me added so I can monitor the happening of things on my child's social network page. And of course if I see something that I do not like I speak to my children one on one and privately. As much as technology has helped some aspects of life I think it has hinder more than help our children and their early education.

1
0 0

Interesting topic! often think of this as my work exposes me to this situation on a daily basis and i'm yet to come to a conclusion. I'd hate to see my sons picture outside my immediate circle of friends posts etc. I trust their judgement and believe that they will treat my privacy as they would theirs also. Having said that, the expressions and moments we capture on a child's face during our events is what actually sells our service! I always tell clients i'd be bringing a photographer to their event for our portfolios but when the pics come out i find it weird placing them in the brochures or site.....almost like i'm intruding or invading their privacy. I'm yet to have a client complain or ask to remove anything but i do dread the thought of it happening. It is a very sensitive subject and it'd be interesting to know the verdict. I must add that i get irritated when my staff take pictures of the kids (e.g face painters) because I fear they don't consider these things and maybe careless about the pictures they take however innocent they are.

0
3 0

If you don't want them to, then let them know. I'm going to tell my family I don't want them even taking pictures of my child. If I want pictures posted, I will do it myself. That child is mine. I have plenty of pictures of my nieces and nephews, but they never said anything about it. I also only add people on facebook that I know, and all of my pictures of kids are set to private or friends only.

0
0 0

I am having this worry right now. I am due to be a first time mom and I am having problems with MIL wanting me to post pics of my bump on facebook which I rather would not. I know what is going to happen when baby is here as when I first got with her son she would tag random faulk I dont even know in my pictures and I have since had to change settings so she can not do it anymore as some of these pictures had my baby neice in who she had never even met before like family photos with her son in them but still nothing to do with her as it was my family. Well it has not happened yet but I know I would flip big time. I have already set a rule. I will never post pictures of my baby on facebook. I think it is too dangerous personally from something that happened to a neighbour a few years ago. But I know his mom will try her best to get hold of one to put up and tag people in a photo of my child that I do not even know. It drives me crazy as I know it will happen as she did it with her other childs children.

0
6 0

Invasion of my privacy

0
1

Myself tis already happen last night to my children. I call the police and now Im suing her. No one has the right to take pics of ANY ONE CHILD if they do GOD HELP THEM IF ITS MY KIDS.

0
29 3

I always blur out the faces of people who are guests in my home, whether it be adults or their children, if I post the pictures online. I'm more than happy to send them copies of the pictures, unblurred, if they want, and I'd post them unblurred if I had permission, but it's not my place to post pictures of people without their consent. Common sense and respect.

0
1 0

It is not OK, Facebook is too public for me to have images of my son on there without my approval prior to posting.

0
5 39

i don't mind photos of my kids being posted if i am their friend or i am tagged in them, i do have family that chooses to block me but still posts pictures of my kids i cant see them but people tell me or show me from their profile i don't like that one bit i think if you are going to take a picture of my child and post it on the internet i need to be able to see it..

0
0 0

0
2 9

In this day and age ... people have to be very careful! Schools post childrens pictures and no one thinks anything of this?? I can not understand this for many paedophiles go to shool websites for there next victims!! I did not a would not allow my childrens pictures on the school websites!

0
4 67

As long as my children were minors, I kept all of their photos on the internet set to "private" or did not post them. If someone else had posted them, I would ask if their settings are also that tight, b/c they are minors and deserve some degree of protection. Once my kids turned 18, it is their judgement call. If I had found out anyone posted photos of my children without my permission, I would (and have) requested they remove them and delete them. I would go so far as contacting the police, as there is no reason for others to have photos of my minor children without my express permission. ever.

0
0 0

0
6 0

If the posting was with my permission on a previously agreed to site...No problem. If I were to find my son's photo online WITHOUT my permission - watch out!

0
10 0

I would freak out honestly. Before my daughter was born I asked my friends and family to please NOT post any pictures. I'm not a fan of Facebook anyway...

0
14 20

i have 8 adopted children and i would be upset if someone put up there pictures

0