Is it important to have a baby's milk is warm? Will it hurt him if it's cold?

Is it okay for a baby to drink cold milk?

19 1

It doesnt matter as long as the baby will drink it.

7
0 0

Both my children don't care if it is warm, room temp, or cold. Neither of them get sick or have tummy trouble no matter how I give it to them. It's all about preference!

6
0 0

I am the mother of a 6yr old. I breast fed for 6 weeks and had to put him on formula. I never warmed up his milk, but I did keep it at room temperature. He was never fussy, gassy, and rarely threw up. I think it just depends on the child.

5
55 20

It depends on the age of the baby and the weather. From birth to about 12 months, baby's milk should be as close to breast milk as possible, therefore I will say, better to give baby warm milk.

Above 12 months, I will say between warm and cold depending on the weather. Besides, warm milk is very soothing.

5
0 7

I would say that as they get older no but I would say below the age of 8 months I would give them warm.

3
0 16

My son had to have his milk ice cold since birth. He would only tolerate warm milk if he absolutely had to. It really doesn't matter and just depends on the baby.

3
0 4

I have two daughters and started both out with warm milk and soon found out they would drink it better straight from the fridge. One of them drinks milk everyday the other on uses it in cereal.I think it's their call.

3
439 0

Ice cold is not good.. it's not like they worked up a sweat or anything.. but just cool is best if your gonna give it cold...room temp is better..

2
30 134

I know if you read the formula cans and/or bottles it states to use warm water but you can do so "IF" desired. Warming the formula is only helpful if your child is breastfed but not necessary for all infants. Its a personal preference honestly. I don't think it will harm your child if you give it to him at room temp!

2
0 1

Thank you! Some needs to inform Miss Laura of that! Since she feels the need to criticize others and their choices & judge people she does not know. As if she is the perfect mother who does everything perfect, I highly doubt that since no one is perfect.

0 11

Cold or warm...what does it matter...they're getting calcuim either way.

2
1 0

Would you prefer a cup of warm coffee or a cup of cold coffee??

1
236 33

My son nursed, but I pumped for a while too. I always gave pumped milk to him warmed because that is how it comes out of the breast. I gradually started giving him milk from the fridge when he started drinking water from sippy cups. Now his milk is always straight from the fridge (no longer breastfed or pumped). He is 13 months old.

1
1 9

Up to atleast 10 to 12 months room temp or slightly warm milk to where if you drop a drip on your wrist you shouldn't even feel it, that is the temp it should be! Cool and colder should be for toddlers and maybe your 12 month old and up! I have a 10year old, 7 year old & 6 month old and I have always done the test on the wrist, that away it's never too warm!!!! Also this temp is good to help soothe and settle the baby to go night night! Once they start with a sippy cup then maybe try it! I hope this helps!

1
9,274 169

Well the way I see it there's a list of the best ways to feed a human baby and it goes like this as per health organizations
1. Regular standerd food is human milk directly from mothers breast
2. Second to that is mothers milk expressed into a bottle
3. third choice is any humans milk
4. Fourth option is artificial milk
Now I'd imagine if a baby is getting fourth option food you might want to not jip them out of anything else so you should mimick first choice as closel as possible meaning
- skin to skin while baby eats
- holding baby's bottle and not propping it
- feeding on cue and not heavily scheduling or making baby finish the bottle
-and WARMING the dang bottle.

God/mother nature designed babies to drink warm milk, why screw with their insides even more just for moms convenience?

1
10 0

Isn't the slogan for these blogs "powered by respect not thumps" ? I thought Circle of Mom's was intended to be a safe community and place where anyone can ask a question related to parenting and be encouraged and perhaps find some helpful information... Or ask questions without fearing they'll be thought of as ignorant or incompetent mothers. Your post seems to read as very judgemental. She did not ask you your opinion about breastfeeding versus bottle feeding but asked wether cold milk could harm a baby.

0 17

i had plans to breastfeed for awhile but unfortunately was only able to for 1 week and had to switch to formula (which he didn't have a problem with) but i felt that he was used to the warmth of breast milk so his formula should meet that same temp.. he LOVED it. now, at 17 months old, he refuses to drink cold milk. it's luke warm but that's the way he likes it! i also agree with the fact that warm milk helps sooth him for his nap and bedtime. it's the way he wants it, so it's the way i make it!!

1
2 9

ever since my daughter was born she had to have cold formula and milk...she HATED warm milk..finally she got to where she like room temp...as long as its not old its fine...

1
0 11

In my opinion it's ok and it will not hurt him.

1
0 28

When my son was an infant he would only drink it ice cold. Now he's 3 and likes it warmed up. I think as long as they are getting their nutrients hot/cold is the baby's preference.

1
0 8

i have given both mine waem bottles as i always make them fresh when needed and i found that they both sleep better having warm milk my son is now 8 mnths old and he sleeps all through the night from 3 mnths even now that he is getting his 3 rd tooth through i think warm bottles sooths them and makes them feel warm and cosy after my daughter was a yr old she gave her bottles up and started dring cows milk straight from the fridge

1
0 36

Depends on the baby's preference. Mine prefers room temperature. Has since birth.

1
0 1

I never warm my sons milk or formula. He is 20 months now and he drinks his milk cold. I always felt the trouble of going through warming the milk was an unnecessary hassle. Since you shouldn't warm in the bottle you have to either do it on the stove or in something safe to heat up in a microwave and then transfer it to a bottle. I felt if my son doesn't know what warm milk or formula tastes like then he won't be fussy if his bottle is cold or room temp. He can't want something he's never had or tasted. Kinda like with soft drinks, he doesn't want them because he doesn't know what they taste like and as long as I can keep him away from soft drinks; I will!

1
9,274 169

Wow congrats so you fed your poor newborn cold formula from day one? What kind of mom does that? Good god that's just so dang lazy I can't even imagine a mom doing that to a newborn. Makes me mad

0 7

I bottled feed and she is 9 mouths old and i still heat up her bottle but when she drink 3% milk she drinks it cold and wont drink it hot!!!!

1
1

My squaw demands that I warm the bottle for el nino. But I think it is not necessary. We are about to get divorced over this issue. Please help.

0
108 76

If baby is hungary, baby will drink no matter what temperature milk is. Now, that being said some babies have very strong preferences, and they will likely make it known that they are unhappy. But hunger will win over preferences.

0
8 1

I think its an old wifes tale about giving them cold milk will cause them to get an unset stomach, My thought is if they drink it cold there isn't an issue then go for it. I used to keep on the counter a gallon of baby's nursery water and use the powder mix and give it to her at room temp. If you want to warm it up what i used to do is get one of those big drink cups like the ones from the gas station that are plastic and fill it with hot tap water and put the cold bottle in it and twirl the bottle around in the warm water or let it sit for a few minutes and it was perfect in a few minutes. I also had this great bottle that I kept on the nightstand that had water in bottom and a ball on top where you would put the powder formula in and if it was feeding time or baby was fussy you would pull on top and the formula would mix with the water and you would just shake it and you didn't have to leave your bed and it was great also great for traveling

0
0 43

No because it gives them belly ache.

0
0 11

Depends on what the baby will drink, i suppose. Both my kids drink hot or cold and have no stomach problems.

0
0 28

I have 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls and all but one child would not drink milk cold. When they were infants I preferred giving warm milk to them, so maybe that's why they preferred the milk to be warm. My last baby would not drink warm milk for anything. So I think its somewhat preference and somewhat whats offered to them.

0
0 0

I personally warm my babies milk however, Mom knows best and if your baby needs / wants cold milk then allow that... Mom's intuition never fails! I'm thinking if cold milk would "hurt" a baby, then we would have a lot of ill babies in this world... My Wisdom says... Mom knows best, do what you think is right!

0
0 0

The reason you warm milk is to help them maintain their body temperature. If cold is all you have or what the baby prefers then it is fine to give them.

0
2 0

i think warm is more ideal.but then again it also depends on the weather.

0
8 2

My son drinks breast milk that I pump as he never really got the hang of breast feeding, he's now 10 months and I'm still pumping. He's fine with it warm, cold or room temp. For breast milk it's fine as long as your little one will drink it.

However, we just found out from a nutritionist that if you are doing formula, it is very important that the mixture is warmed properly as there is something in formula that can be harmful to your little one if it is not prepared with HOT water and served warm. So keep that in mind.

0
1,372 31

It depends on how old the "baby" is. If its under a yr its a good idea to warm it because their tummies arent made to handle cold milk or breastmilk would be cold. Over a yr then who cares! My 4 yr old likes her chocolate milk warmed, my 1 yr old likes his milk cold my 2 yr old takes it anyway you give it to her! :)

0
367 0

It just depends on what your baby likes. My son didn't mind if it was cold or warm but think he favored it being warm when he was younger. Now he likes it colder.

0
54 1

Some babies prefer to have their formula warmed up and sometimes they prefer it cold. My son is 8 months old and im still warming up his formula.. Once in a while i will give him regular milk and he'll drink it cold.

0
321 14

I don't think it matters really - depends on what your baby prefers and whether you can warm it. Sometimes you may be out and not have the facilities to do so!

0
14 34

My daughter always preferred her milk cold or room temp. When we went to our bf class, the lady actually told us that give your child whatever easier for you. Also i dont think that having milk warm is anything to do with sleeping through the night because my daughter was sleeping 12hours a night at 3 months. i really think it whatever you feel is right.

0
2 6

It is better to have it warm because it causes less bubbles but no it being cold wont hurt them

0
4 2

When I'm weaning from breast milk I always try to go to room temp, simply b/c it's easier to deal with when you're out and about. You just take a bottle of water and add the formula when it's needed. Voilà!

0
111 36

Until they can regular their own temperature, I would give them warm milk.

As my daughter got older she didn't mind cold milk except when she would wake up for a bottle in the middle of the night. Then she wanted warm.

0