Most effective ways to get babies to gain weight

Some babies, despite regular feedings and lots of nutritional encouragement, just don't gain weight as readily as others. What are some of your favorite tips and tricks to help infants gain weight in these pivotal months?

0 0

how can i increase weight of my baby ,she is 7 months but only 5kg

3
353 0

As long as the baby is healthy then I wouldn't worry too much. My Daughter has never been on the charts for her weight and only 15% on her height. She is healthy for the most part so the doctor said not to worry. She is eating and drinking. Now if they start losing weight or just don't gain weight at all then you need to have them checked out.

3
3,011 30

Is baby breastfed or formula fed? How old is baby? What's the lowest weight and what's the current weight?

Is baby meeting milestones? Having plenty of diapers? Happy?

I'm not really a big fan of making a baby gain weight, if they're overall happy and healthy and there's no underlying medical issues.

All of my kids are tiny, but are healthy and happy, met milestones. Solids didn't make much of a difference either.

3
623 5

just been going through this with my 7 month old son. Between 4 and 6 months doctors weren't happy with his growth as it pretty much stopped altogether over this period. But he is just a skinny baby. I was a skinny baby. Some of my nephews are skinny babies. My sisters were skinny babies. My dad is a very skinny man! And, my son had also been sick and on antibiotics which gave him diarrhea for over 2 weeks. Of course he didn't put on any weight in that period. But he was meeting milestones, EXTREMELY happy and certainly dirtying/wetting his nappy often enough. The doctor had me stressed out at first, but when I looked at all those other factors I realised there was nothing wrong, he was just on the skinny side. And solids? He just flat refused to have them. Only finally started having success with it yesterday - same day he started crawling. Must be hungry work, I guess.

1

now my baby is 2 month he weight 5 kg but he looks like small.

1
0 0

i have one year baby bay his weight is 7.50kg .I am worried about my baby’s weight .but he is very active

1
0 0

Hello my daughter is 8months old an I'm really worried about her weight ,I'm a first time mum. She weighed 7.5 when born and I breast feed till she was 3months but she's always been chubby and recently she has lost quite abit off weight and I was just wondering what's other mums opinions.my mum in law told me to put her on cows milk and I thought it was to young but I did and now she's not really on any milk would appreciate advice!thank you.

1
0 0

hi, i m breastfeeding mom,my baby is 5 month old.and her weight is 5 kg..when she was born her weight was 1.75 pound.now she is active but look like 1 months old baby..she cannot drink plenty of milk.because of some problem of her breething problm.anyone look her and tell that she is not bringing up..i m so worried about her health,,,doctor say that if she is active then no problm... but i want suggestion that what type of food that i can eat,,that help her growing so fat... plz tell me.the diet that i give her,or i eat myself.for her fatness,,,,plz answer me, and keep me secreate

1
235 30

O.k. I'm really surprised to hear your doctor isn't concerned about her weight, given how premature she was and the fact that is struggling to eat. My son was 2 months premature and has struggled to breast and bottle feed since birth. Since starting solids it has been slow going. He doesn't want to eat and drink most of the time which has led to poor health. He has an oral aversion. A baby's first instinct is to protect their airway so if your daughter is having trouble breathing then she will be afraid to eat and drink especially if she has aspirated into her lungs in the past. So I have several suggestions for you. My son was struggling so much that rather than sit there for hours a day trying to get him to eat enough to gain weight, we had a g-tube put in so we can give him formula through his stomach and make sure he's getting enough calories to gain weight and enough fluids to stay hydrated. So unfortunately it sounds like your doctor is not very knowledgeable about the special needs of preemies. So I would recommend seeing a neonatologist who specializes in preemies and probably saw your daughter in the hospital after she was born. Next I would recommend you take her to see a pediatric gastroenterologist. He can look into the cause(s) of your babies eating problems. If she has reflux she can be put on Zantac. If she has a poor appetite they can put her on an appetite stimulant. They can do tests to see if she is aspirating when she eats or has any other abnormalities with her digestive system that are causing her to struggle with eating. They can determine if she needs a hypoallergenic formula like my son. After ruling out things and trying the least invasive interventions if she is still struggling to gain weight, they may recommend she have surgery to get a g-tube. I know that sounds scary, especially with your daughter's breathing problems, but it has been the best thing for our son. Now I don't have to count calories and stress because he didn't eat enough. I don't have him in the hospital because he's dehydrated from not drinking enough. I have a way to make sure he gets what he needs when he can't take enough on his own. It's been such a blessing. So the thing you have to look at, is if your daughter is eating regularly then you just need to boost her calories to help her gain. The doctor can give you powdered DuoCal to add to her milk which increases the calories. Add butter or canola oil to EVERYTHING for extra calories. Add coconut milk or heavy cream to her cereal. Load calories wherever you can. That's about all you can do and if she's eating and otherwise healthy I'm sure she'll be fine. If she's struggling to eat though, which it sounds like she is, then I would really consult with the pediatric g.i. because this is their specialty and they will have the best recommendations to help your daughter gain weight. Also I would ask your doctor for an order for occupational or speech therapy if your insurance covers it, to help your daughter with her feeding issues. They usually work through homecare and come to your house a couple times a month to work with your daughter and teach you tricks to help your daughter eat. They have been invaluable with my son. A lot of children who struggle with eating later struggle with speech so it's really important. If you don't have this benefit with your insurance, call your local school district to inquire about Early Intervention coming to evaluate your daughter for services. My son also has this. They have occupational therapists to help with children who have feeding problems and depending on where you live these services are available at little or no cost based on your income. I hope what I've told you has helped. My son was 2 months premature and weighed 2 lbs. 15 oz. and after a 42 day stay in the NICU he has struggled a lot especially with eating and gaining weight so I've had lots of experience with this the last 2 years. Good luck and I hope I've been of some help.

17 22

Do try listening to your doc. They don't have alot of nutrition background, usually, but they do have experience. If you disagree, keep searching. Babies should be a little "chunkier" as they use the fat as they grow, and brains are made up of fatty tissue. However, don't just give them fatty foods.You need healthy fat like omegas, etc.
Sometimes not gaining is an absorption issue. All the nutrients are not being absorbed by the baby, and so they are missing something. That is not good. Be sure that you are eating very healthy as a nursing mom. Lots of fruits and veggies and protein. This will go to the baby. If you need more, add cereal for the baby as soon as she can take it. It's your decision when to feed them food from a spoon. if you are worried, start now. if not, wait! I learned to start with veggies, and their taste buds will always seem to prefer veggies( in my family, that worked!)
Nutrition is the key to health. we can give our bodies what they need to thrive if we are smart about it.I've seen and heard of many babies who are failing to thrive who turn that around with a really good, simple nutrition supplement.

1
6 0

00
how can i increase weight of my baby ,she is 11 months but only 8kg

0
0 0

My baby is very skinny. It runs in the family. None of our family members are fat or even considered average, all SUPER SKINNY. I have never been over 120 lbs in my life.
My little Ariel was born at not even six lbs and is not gaining any weight, rather losing lots of weight. We are EBF. She is currently only 6.5 lbs to 7 lbs at most. Very skinny. VERY SKINNY!

0
1 0

My daughter is a month old today, when she was born she weighted 9lb 2oz. Left hospital at 8.7, went down to 8.1 and n a month still isn't back to birth weight. Do I need to worry or is it normal. She eats 14-16 oz a day plenty of wet diapers and happy almost never cries. Please help first time mom

0
0 0

my baby is 12 month old shes not eating her food so give some healthy tips for my baby to become fatter early as possible?

0
4 0

My baby is currently 11months and she didn't gained a weight from last 5 months. She is healthy and active also but don't like much to eat. She wants only breast feeding milk. Her born weight was 3.375 kg and currently weight is 7 kg. We are too worried. Pls help

0
0 0

m giving my baby sm veg n fruits but not gaining his weight. Pls suggest me what to do.

0
0 0

i am facing the same challenge at present my little angel has completed 10m now. n looking for solution here with big hopes

0
0 0

hi.where can i see ur answer?plz suggest me.

0
294 0

well my son has all ways been small he was born at 6 pounds and left the hospital at 5'8 pounds he was hungry alot but would never gain a lot of weight i didnt do as the doctors said and i made a bottle that was made eight breast milk or forumla and some baby cereal like a baby milk shake and he slept for 4 hours that night and after doing that he started to gain a little weight but not to much ,,
but my son is 9 now and he is only 56 pounds and 48 inches tall but he is healthy and can eat as much as an adult man for dinner and NOT gain a pound I hate him lol cause i can do that and gain 2 or more haha now when you make that ( milk shake) you can buy nipples that are alittle bigger and dont start off with a lot ,and do it at night i did this when my son was 2 months and like i said he slept better at night and looked a lot better in weight and healthiness

0
235 30

Well my preemie son has been struggling with this very issue. We calorie load. Mix his cereal with heavy whipping cream or coconut milk. Add butter to his vegetables along with meat for protein. We also mix his formula to a higher calorie content by doing 3 scoops of formula to 4 oz. of water than the 2 you normally would. We recently had a g.i. consult and they switched him to a hypoallergenic formula and put him on Prevacid and took him off of the appetite stimulant the pediatrician put him on. We have worked with occupational therapists to try to help him want to eat better and am now working with a speech language pathologist on it. In spite of all this he has yo-yoed with his weight since June. Recently after having a good gain by his 1 year check up, he has lost 11 oz. So g.i. has given him until November 17th to gain 2 lbs. and if he doesn't then they recommend putting in a g-tube so he can receive extra formula at night via a pump directly into his stomach. He recently went on a 3 week bottle strike when I tried to switch him to a fast flow nipple and he won't use a cup yet. Thankfully he still nurses.

0
0 8

We had the same problem with my daughter and found out about a mix that's called duocal. It's flavorless and can mix into drinks n moist foods. It's used to add calories to food it help so much that she never had to have anymore yucky sweet drinks or medical tests. She's now nearly 5and eating n growing great. Most dr don't think of this product but u can get it on line or with presription.

4 17

some just dont gain weight as fast as others

0
14 6

My dd was born 'growth restricted' at 5lbs2oz, now at 20 months she is 20 lbs still followed by a dietician, pediatrician, and MANY other specialists. All I can say is if your lo is not gaining enough weight there could be a medical reason that should not be taken lightly. See your doctor and ask to see a dietician! Always better safe than sorry.

0
26 13

A baby not gaining weight can be very stressful! Our 17 month old boy hasn't gained much weight since he was 8 months old! He is also a super active little boy. Even though I feed him regularly, I discover that I don't really know when he is hungry as he can't talk yet. What I found helped me better understand when he was hungry is by putting many healthy snacks in little air-tight containers on a little table where he could reach. When he is hungry, he goes to his little table and looks through the boxes and picks out his favourite snack and hands it to me for me to decide whether to give him the snack and how much. I put cornflakes, mini-wheats, sultanas, grapes, pineapple slices, wheat-bix, etc in separate boxes. By how many snacks he wants, I can gauge whether to feed him his major meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) earlier (ie. not to give him the snack and instead increase the volume of food given at his major meals), or give him the snack to give him the extra energy he needs whilst he plays.

0
294 0

What i did was feed my son breakfast then a snack the lunch then a snack then dinner the desert and on time not different time of the day i did like he woke up at 8 am feed him, snack at 10am lunch at 1130 snack at 2pm and we ate dinner at 5 we still do that to this day so thats going on for 8 years so i know that hes getting what he needs and it will teach the kids when to eat

17 0

Your baby may have an absorption issue, possibly needing probiotics. You may also want to have the baby get tested for gluten intolerance. You may want to consult with a pediatric gastroenterologist. There may also be an endocrine problem, and for that you may need a pediatric endocrinologist. Sometimes failure to gain weight or grow may even be due to stress such as from sleep problems.

keep in mind, doctors have very little education about nutrition, so you might want to consult with a REGISTERED DIETITIAN to get the best possible care for YOUR individual baby.

My baby quit growing for a while and I wish I had left no stoned unturned, but I was assured my baby was fine. :-(
( http://itsnotmental.blogspot.com/2011/01/childhood-onset-schizoaffective-medical.html )

0
1 15

Everyone who has responded seems to have a child at the age where they are full of too much energy and run around burning extra calories.....If you think about it though it sounds like your 2yr old or younger children are around 20 lbs (aren't most kids of normal size only 40-50 lbs at 4 or 5 yrs of age?). I wish I could tell you how to get them to gain weight but I seem to have a baby who loves to eat he is about 16 lbs and 4 months old (3lb 9oz preemie at birth) I would say though I would watch out adding extra powder to their formula not enough liquid could lead to dehydration and that can be very serious in a small child and they can get that way very quickly

0
235 30

I was told to add the extra powdered formula by our pediatrician, a neonatologist, a NICU nurse practitioner, several nurses and a dietitian so I feel confident it is safe. As long as your baby is drinking enough daily to have a minimum of 3-4 good wet diapers a day then you do not have to worry about dehydration.

2 12

My daughter is 16 months and only weighs 17 lbs. She is a fantastic eater & eats everything that we give her. She is also is still being breastfeed during the evenings and night when she wakes.
My Dr. is not concerned about her weight because both my husband and I were small children. My daughter is also meeting all her developmental milestones. The Dr. just wants to see her every 3 months for a weight check.

0
235 30

My daughters were the same way. I think when the parents were small and the child is eating well and their weight and height are proportional they don't really worry. It's when the child is not eating well and not gaining or eating well, but suddenly losing weight that causes concern.

28 24

My son is 15 months old and weighs 18 lbs. My doctor told me that I am not feeding him enough and that I should feed him more frequently. Both my husband and I were small kids until we got older. So I think it's time to find my son a new doctor..

Anyways, the doctor recommended that I try the carnation instant breakfast packets with whole milk and ice cream. Anythings that will give him extra calories.

0
61 28

I believe cow's milk can be good for many, but I also think it's better in the form of fatty yogurts, cheese or cream. Too much of anything can be bad, however, that's why we have such a high intolerance in America for cow's milk and wheat; it's in everything. Fatty veggies and fish are excellent sources for healthy fats; avacado for example, or salmon...

12 1

My daughter is now 22 months and she has never gained weight easily. Last time she was weighed at 18 months she was 20 lbs. But she's healthy. She eats fine, has enough dirty diapers and has enough energy. I'm not concerned about her weight because I'm also thin. Some baby's just have a fast metabolism. Oh and she was always breastfed with baby food being introduced when she was 4 1/2 months old.

0
2 15

I was told by the doc to add half a scoop more of formula to a bottle. It gives them extra cal. they might be missing

0
2 15

If anybody has any more ideas I am open to them. My twin are complete opposites in every way one gains weight and the other cant.

17 28

This depends on how old the baby is? Are they old enough to have solids of any kind besides formula/breastmilk?

0
14 88

Try adding a little extra formula to the bottle. If the baby is breast fed, put 1 tsp of formula for every 2 oz of breast milk.

0