The Most Rewarding Part About Being a Single Parent

0 0

The sense of achievement in knowing that I have raised my two daughters on my own and they are growing up to be sensible, kind, caring young women.

0
0 0

I grew up with a single parent and I think that the relationship that single parents have with their children is essentially different. You spend so much one-on-one time with them that a special kind of friendship seems to come out of it. Not that married parents aren't friends with their children but when it is just you and your child the family structure is so very different. And often times in a good way.

0
0 0

The best part about being a single parent is being able to impact your child's life in such a positive way. It isn't always pretty or perfect, but you do your best.

0
0 63

I think it's the same reward as being a coupled parent: being blessed enough to witness these amazing young creatures grow, learn and develop their own unique personalities. The struggles feel concentrated quite often because there is no one to share the responsibility, but the rewards far outweigh any challenges.

0
0 0

I think that being an only parent goes one step further than being a single parent. While I can't fathom the emotional struggle involved in sharing my kids, I know that never having a break from them can be taxing. I think it is most rewarding to see our family triumph over our struggles and pull together as a team when things get tough.

0
0 0

Without a doubt, the most rewarding part is the relationship I have with my son. It's been just he and I basically since he was just a couple of months old. That kind of living situation in itself brings a unique dynamic to the mother/child relationship. We've built on that dynamic in such a way that we are completely comfortable with each other — probably more so than we would have been had the dynamics of our small family been any different.

0
3 0

Being a single mother is so rewarding in so many ways. If I had to pick just one it would have to be the deep connection my son and I share which I believe is in part due to the fact that we are a two person family. We are surrounded by friends and family and a community of love but at the end of the day it is just the two of us that curl up together to chat and laugh and snuggle. It is that special bond, unlike any other, that is the most rewarding part of being a single mother.

0
0 0

The most rewarding part of being a single parent is knowing that I'm setting a great example for my son. I always stress in my blog that a child is better off with two happy parents in separate homes than two miserable parents in one home. I want him to know that I chose this path in life — to get divorced and be a single parent — because I want him to have the happiest life possible and I am certain that his life will be happiest this way.

0
0 0

That's a tough question. I never wanted to be a single parent, but I've taken the hand I was dealt and made the best of it. Being a single dad to a now-teenage girl is really tough and I think being able to go to bed at night knowing I made it through the day without getting locked up in the loony bin is reward enough.

0
0 0

I love spending a lot of time snuggling in bed with my little one. Being the only caregiver around can be tough, but being the only caregiver around to receive all the love a child has to give and every first morning smile is super cool. Although I wouldn't mind sharing my daughter's attention with someone else, the amount of time we spend together adds a lot of intimacy to our relationship and this is a nice process to be part of.

0
1 0

I don't have to share. I don't have to share the hugs, kisses and laughter, I get them all to myself. And, you really realize how strong you are; that's a perk too.

0
1 0

I would say the rewards are in parenting, period. Yes, there are unique challenges for single parents, just as there are for adoptive parents, gay parents, teenage parents or older parents, for parents with special needs themselves, or those with special needs children. For me, the rewards come with each stage in which you see your child make progress. Watching my sons work hard toward goals while holding firm to the playful side of life — that’s huge. It reminds me that I’m doing my job. The hardest job I’ve ever done, I might add.

0
0 0

While it's true that time can be a constraint in a single parent family, I find that I actually get better quality time with my kids. They don't have to compete for my attention, and we get lots of hang out time. There has been many a Friday night when my perfect evening was snuggled with two kids on the couch while we watched a movie we may have seen at least 10 times already. I feel that this has really helped strengthen our bond, and has been a major help in our transition to the blended family we have now.

0
0 0

For me, getting married was optional. Having children was not, and my journey to motherhood without a partner was not an easy one. And now that I have two beautiful little boys, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think how incredibly fortunate I am. What is most rewarding is watching these two beautiful little people learn and blossom and grow, and I am humbled to be their mother.

0
0 0

As trying and difficult as it is to raise a child by yourself, at the end of the day, as I chug my bottle of wine, I'm filled with pride knowing I'm strong enough to do it alone. Even with the aid of alcohol. ;)

0
0 0

Being told that I have a great kid and that it is obvious that it has much to do with my parenting is extremely rewarding! Having someone externally validate the good job you're doing goes a long way sometimes because when you are alone you have no external frame of reference. Also, knowing that the bond my son and I are building will be a very strong one because of all the time and hard work I put into being the best mother I can brings me comfort whenever things get overwhelming.

0
0 0

I imagine it's probably pretty similar to what non-single parents find rewarding. At the moment, the relationship between my two young daughters is incredibly inspiring. I could spend all day watching them play together, laugh, share in their excitement, and teach each other things.

0
0 0

There isn’t really much that is rewarding about being a single parent. We are rewarded for being a parent; being single is circumstantial — like a pretty chick with a mullet. The largest reward as any parent knows, is being able to wake up each day with the sole responsibility of raising children that will hopefully become productive grown-ups.

0
0 0

Knowing what I'm truly capable of. Owning my own home, working full time, and managing to raise two sweet little girls on my own. And somehow keeping my sanity!

0
0 0

I imagine what I find rewarding as a single parent is the same thing a married parent finds rewarding: boomerang love. That explosion of all-encompassing love that you have for your child that manages to wrap around all moments (even that moment when he just dumped his entire sippy of milk on the kitchen floor and danced in the puddles). When you watch your child express love for his Grandmother, or even a stuffed rabbit — it hits you: your child knows love and is love and gives love. Boomerang — you did that!

It's also pretty awesome to just BE a parent. It took five years for that to happen for me and while some days are hard they are no more or less hard for me as a single mom. (Or maybe they are and I just don't know any different!)

0
0 0

Getting to be my daughter's mother is the best part, single or not.

0
2 1

The most rewarding part of being a single parent is when Eliza tells me we are "best friends forever" and that she "loves me 100 times." Single parenting of course has its challenges, but those challenges are far, far outweighed by the rewards.

0
0 0

It's hard to pick just one, but I guess, the mere fact that I have been blessed with a precocious kid is a reward in itself. Seeing my kid grow up to be smart and loving makes all the hardships of being a single parent well worth it.

0
0 0

There are lots of rewarding moments being a parent in general but I don't think that any are more rewarding than in two parent households. I enjoy the same ups and downs as any parent — the report cards and soccer goals, the playdates and sleepovers, the good and the bad. It's all there by virtue of being a parent — a job I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

0